Print Thread
#43488 06/13/07 01:38 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
he saw her rush by on her way to the bathroom. “Morning, Clark!” she called before shutting the door with a snap. Clark chuckled. Obviously, she wasn't quite ready for him to meet “Morning Lois” just yet.
That's so sweet and funny! Clark and Lois are very far from married yet.

When he heard the bathroom door open a half-hour later, he poured her a cup of coffee and had it just the way she liked it by the time she entered the kitchen dressed and ready for work.

“Thanks, Clark,” she smiled brightly.

“I made pancakes.”

“Mmm. I could smell them. More importantly, you made coffee. A girl could get used to this,” she smiled and ducked her head she realized what she had said.

Clark felt his heart swell at the thought of spending breakfast with Lois every morning, but due to her obvious embarrassment he just began to talk about what they needed to do when they got to work.
Oh, so sweet! *haapy sigh*

Lois and Clark huddled around Lois' computer as they went through the files on the disk her contact had given them. Clark swatted distractedly at the fly buzzing around him. How had the dratted thing got into the newsroom anyway?
That fly sounds definitely ominous. It's the kind of thing that wouldn't get mentioned if it wasn't. (I was also a little surprised that Clark just "swatted at" the fly instead of killing it - but maybe he is the kind of guy who won't even kill a fly if he can help it?)

Lois sat there, a shocked expression on her face before Clark saw the glaze of tears come over her eyes. Grabbing her arm, Clark hurried her into the conference room before she broke down in front of the whole newsroom. He put his arm around her and she leaned into his chest as she sniffed a few times, never really crying, before she was able to compose herself. Perry was like a surrogate father to Lois and his angry disapproval was crushing to her. She finally pulled away from him, wiping at her face.
Oh, that's so sweet. You've got to love Clark here.

“There's probably something else bothering him.” Clark's own anger flared for a moment. No matter how upset Perry was, he had no right to take it out on Lois. Number one, she didn't deserve it, and number two, it was completely unprofessional.
I generally don't like Angry!Clark, but I love it that he was angry on Lois's behalf here.

“Wow. You're completely right, Clark. I *have* still been keeping tabs on LexCorp, and there's been a lot of stock turnover lately. A couple of his smaller businesses have even been bought out.”

“Lois! What if. . . do you know who bought them?”

“Not off the top of my head. Why?”

“What if Intergang is buying up Luthor's holdings like we suspect they are taking over organized crime in Metropolis? A corporate takeover as well as criminal one?”

“Oh, Clark, this is big. Pulitzer big!”

“Except that we can't print a thing.”

“Clark, Perry may be friends with the Churches, but if we proved a connection between Bill Church and Intergang, Perry wouldn't sit on it. He would do what was right, even if it hurt.”
This may be taken from the show for all I know, but it is still great.

A slight knock came from the door. It opened and Perry stuck his head in. “Ah, Lois, I'm sorry, honey. It's your job to investigate anyone with possible connections to this Intergang. You just caught me off guard.” He came in and shut the door. “ I know I've been kind of short-tempered and irritable lately. I've been quick to judge and quick to condemn. Sometimes I've even been downright mean, and you can expect a lot more of it. I'm not spreading this around, but purchase of the Planet is in negotiations and it's making me a nervous wreck.” Perry ran his hand through his thinning hair. “We've got a good group here, and I just don't want to see that messed up.”

Lois was at his side with instant forgiveness. She patted Perry's hand. “It's okay, Perry. I was just telling Clark that you always do the right thing. I didn't know that you knew the Churches personally, or I would have never sprung that idea on you like that. You know me, I get these crazy ideas sometimes.”

“Yea, and as often as not, you're right too. You have great instincts, Lois, but I think this may be one of the .1% of times when you are way off.”

“I hope so, Chief. So, who's buying the Planet?”
Ah, I love how Perry and Lois make up.

“Okay?” he asked. He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before turning to close and lock the door. Still he caught the roll of her eyes.
So sweet.

Clark look at the picture. Bill Church, Martin Snell. . . and Mayson Drake arm in arm at some formal banquet.

“Mayson Drake worked under Snell in Church's acquisitions division.”

“And now you think that she is also a part of Intergang?”

Lois shrugged, “If the four inch heel fits. . .”
Mayson Drake!!! eek And that thing about the four inch heels was so funny.

“Clark, I think you're a little dense when it comes to women. Who told whom that Mayson had a crush on whom?”

“Maybe “whom” is a little dense, Lois, but “whom” can also usually tell when someone's lying to me. It's something about the look in their eyes.” *And* by the way their heart rate speeds up, he added silently.
Aaawww, sweet and funny.

“Look, Mayson. We'll cut to the chase. Clark and I have been following a series of leads. From Baby Rage to Martin Snell to Intergang... then from Intergang to Bill Church.” Lois charged full steam ahead

“I can't believe that you asked me to lunch just to ask me if my ex-boss is the head of Intergang!”
Wow! I have to agree with Mayson that Lois isn't exactly polite!

Mayson's angry eyes met his across the table before moving to Lois. She nodded. “But Bill Church is off limits. He's been like a father to me.”

“I can relate to that, Mayson,” Lois commented. “Perry is more than just a boss to me as well. I guess I would get pretty upset if someone tried to tie him to Intergang.”
Wow. This was quite powerful. Lois can really sympathize with Mayson, because what if Perry...?

Lois was very quiet on the drive back to the Planet. Finally Clark asked, “Lois, is everything okay?”

“I was thinking about what Mayson said about Bill Church being like a father to her. It makes me hope that he isn't involved with Intergang. But my gut instinct tells me that he is.”

Clark nodded. “That would be rough.”

“Clark, Perry is friends with Bill Church. What if. . .”

“Lois, Perry is honest through and through. If he's defending Bill Church, it's because he honestly thinks that he isn't involved in Intergang. And maybe he's not. But it is our job to find out.”
Lane Smith's Perry was one of the best things about LnC. What a wonderful character his Perry was. He must not be a criminal! No! No! Never!

The Judge gestured for the two attorneys to be seated, then looks up gravely. “ New evidence seems to indicate that the officers who arrested the defendant did not properly apprise him of his Miranda rights. And the warrant issued to search his house had the incorrect address on it.”
Noooo!!!! smile1

Snell smoothly began to excuse himself, “Your Honor, it's clear to me that the voice on that recording is that of an actor, hired to impersonate me.”

The judge was not amused. “Really. I'd like to hear his Brando. But for the moment, we're going to assume that was you- which does not bode well for your future as an attorney, or a free man. As for the defendant, Daniel Anthony Bell AKA, Baby Rage. . . You're going to trial.”

Lois smiled slipping her hand into Clark's. “My plan worked.”

Clark smiled down at her. “It sure did.”
Yes! clap

Clark held Lois gently in his arms as they danced to the music. He looked around at the people milling around the spread of delicious food. Mike Lane beamed with happiness as the guest exclaimed over the food. The song finished and he reluctantly released Lois and they walked towards the buffet table. Lois hugged her uncle.
Awww... *happy sigh*

“They're all asking about your restaurant. You got a lucky break, getting asked to cater the Urban Redevelopment Charity Ball, Uncle Mike.”

“Well, it's pretty amazing how fast things are turning around. In just two days it's like a whole new neighborhood. No more gangs, no more slow cops, thanks to those articles you two wrote,” he answered.

“The credit probably goes to Mayson's new strike force,” Clark commented.
Yes! Mayson redeems herself.

His arms tightened around her, as he struggled to keep himself in check. He wanted to kiss her senseless right there in the middle of the dance floor. To tell her he was Superman and declare his love in front of all Metropolis.
Awwww!!! *teary-eyed with happiness*

He sighed and instead said, “Since Superman took out Intergang's targeting system, the threat to your life is over.”

“So you'll be going back to your apartment?” Lois was now staring at his chest, hiding her face from his view.

“Yes.”

“I'll miss you.”
Nooo!!! Don't leave her, Clark!

Why was this so hard? Shouldn't love be easy? Boy meets girl. They fall in love. They get married. No lies, no secret identities to keep them apart.
Just tell her, Clark. Especially since she knows already.

Oh, yes. Another new version of TOGOM to follow!
eek

Wow! I love your story, rkn (and I should know your name by now, but it slipped my mind). Please come back soon with more!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cute story. Clark should kiss her soon. Looking forward to more. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard