(Updated with many of Terry's suggestions.)

Mad Dog Lane , Ultra Woman, Et Alii (1/?)
by Framework4

===========================================

Lois tried not to gnaw on her nails as she watched the TV screen from her desk.

If there was ever a time when the world needed Superman - but no, he'd gone, left for who knows where years ago.

So it was up to her to somehow prompt, stimulate, motivate, prod, rouse, spark, impel, goad, incite, exhort, provoke people to action.

In short, to light a fire under the entire human race.

She looked again at the editorial. “Why The World Doesn't Need Superman.”

In the background she imagined she heard that familiar swoosh. The normal chatter and murmur of the newsroom increased in tone and volume.

“Lois Lane!” an incredulous voice said.

Lois turned to find herself facing a masked woman in a low cut skin tight pink bodysuit with a teal cape.

“You were expecting Woodward and Bernstein?” Lois made it clear how she felt about masked women in slutty Halloween costumes.

“No. Clark Kent.” the woman replied.

Lois stared. “He's dead. He died several years ago, gunned down by a resurrected 1930s mobster. And who are you?”

The woman paused briefly. “Ultra Woman.”

"Ultra Woman," Lois replied in a flat tone.

*ping* The elevator announced its arrival. A second later her leg was grabbed by a small dynamo.

Ultra Woman stared at the little boy.

Lois smiled. “Jason, meet Ultragirl. Ultragirl, my son Jason.”

“Ultra WOMAN.”

Lois thought the tonal stress on the word ‘woman’ laughable, coming as it did from a bimbo in a skimpy costume.

“How about Ultra Babe?” said a voice behind Lois.

“Shut up, Ralph!” The two women's voices spoke as one.

Lois was encircled by a pair of arms and lightly kissed on the cheek.

“What's up Hon? I though you were finishing that editorial?” said Richard White.

Lois swung her elbow back into the midsection of the man holding her. He stepped rapidly backward holding both hands up in front of himself, open palms outward.

In a voice dripping icicles, she said, “One date, Mr White, does not allow you or anyone to invade my space, touch my body or call me 'Hon.’ This is your only warning. There won't be another. You only got this one because I was very fond of your late uncle and my son is present."

“Stand back, everyone, Mad Dog Lane is in the house!” said Ultra Woman as she gathered her legs up under her as she sat three feet above the floor on empty air.

Lois stared at the woman floating in front of her, thinking, 'Oh, great, a Kryptonian bimbo. Could my day get any worse?'

"Mom?" a small voice spoke. Lois froze. Oh yes, it was already worse, her mind shrieked.

Lois didn't look at her son keeping her eyes on the bimbo. "Jason, honey, could you go downstairs and - " she was interrupted by a voice.

"He's the splitting image of his father, Lois."

Fear settled into her heart. The only other Kryptonians she'd met had hated Jor El, and by extension the son, Kal El, Superman. How would this one feel about the grandson of Jor El?

"Oh, you know his father? I think you're mistaken, he doesn't really look like him..." talking as she backed up keeping between Jason and the floating bimbo.

"Lois, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, I wasn't thinking. He just looks so much like Clark at that age that I forgot you said that Clark is dead. Honey, I am so sorry."

Ralph moved forward "The kid is Kent's b - "

"Shut up Ralph!" Again, both women spoke as one.

"You knew my Dad?" Jason shoved past his mother as he spoke.

"Not exactly kiddo, it's a bit complicated." As she spoke, she placed her legs under her and squatted down in front of the young man.

"Your Mom and I will explain it to you later, in private."

She stood up turning to face Lois.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Lois. But we need to talk pr- "

"Lois, what are you wearing? You look like - " the voice trailed off as the speaker, a petite blonde, looked back and forth between Lois and Ultra Woman.

"Chloe? Oh, this is so weird" said Ultra Woman staring at the young woman.

Her voice shook then became firm as she pointed.

"Conference room. Now."

She and Lois started towards it, Lois herding Jason ahead of her.

"Chloe?" Ultra Woman turned back and looked at the blonde.

"Right, coming."

As the door shut behind them, Ralph's whine could be heard. "Now she’s channeling Lane!"

"Shut up, Ralph!" said Richard White as he stared at the three women through the window of the conference room.

Lois caught him staring and glared back at him, making some odd gestures.

Clearly, he was missing something, and if he didn't want Mad Dog Lane on his case, he'd better figure out what.

At last Lois looked away as the Kryptonian said something to her.

"Kryptonian, Kryptonian..." Something nagged at the edge of his thoughts. "Kryptonian, Kryptonite! Yes, Kryptonite!"

Richard hurried to his desk, pulled his Rolodex closer, thumbed through it, and then began to dial.

Inside the conference room, Ultra Woman stopped moving and tilted her head slightly.

She let out a deep sigh. "Lois, Chloe, I'm sorry. I'll be back soon as I can. This can't wait."

With that, she exited the room and flew out the window.

Framework4