This story is my annual birthday dedication to Maria Fernandez. I received my first directions from Maria when I joined the boards. Through that communication we somehow discovered that we have the same birthday, May 31st. I’m a bit late this year, due to school preparations. Though Maria is away from the boards and hopefully recovering, she is still in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry guys...no criminal element in here. Just plain love, forgiveness and betrayal!

I had no beta reader to blame for my mistakes. The main players not mine though I did create the surrounding cast. I used some familiar names but carefully without making any innuendos. So…here we go…

Heaven Part I

The Daily Planet had been bombed, destroyed, burned to ashes over three weeks ago, just slightly a week after Lex Luthor bought it. Though Lex Luthor had pointed an accusing finger at the mail boy it was no secret to Lois Lane that her otherwise mild mannered partner, Clark Kent, was pretty certain that Lex was behind the bombing. Lois had tried to get Clark to see all the good that Lex had done for Metropolis but Clark just would not hear of it. Lois didn't understand how Clark could dislike Lex so much without substance.

Lois had been going out with Lex occasionally. He had been nothing but kind and cordial to her. It did occur to her that jealousy was Clark's motivation for condemning Lex. But then, the Clark that she knew wasn't like that. He was a naïve country boy from Kansas who always gave everyone the benefit of the doubt. Surely Clark would have told her if he had any quintessence to his accusations. He had been her partner for a whole year!

Since Lex had bought the Planet, Clark had been more irritable than usual. He had said more than once that he would not work for Lex Luthor. Lois was afraid that Clark would soon make truth of that statement. Lois often witnessed Clark exchanging confrontational words with Lex. Usually, Clark wanted to pursue something that Lex had deemed not financially sound for the paper.

Though Lex had bought the Planet, it was still in financial shambles and Lex said that he had to carefully dictate the budget until the paper was back on its feet. This meant that he had to be guarded about what was printed in the Daily Planet. Credibility was understandably important in order for the Daily Planet to resurface and stay on top. Lex had even threatened to sell it because it was presently operating at a loss. Lois understood this but Clark didn't seem to. He just accused Lex of not wanting to pursue a news story that would be a conflict of his interests.

Perry had since taken early retirement and Jimmy had gone to start over closer to his father. Perry had all but said that he did not trust Lex Luthor. There was no one at this point filling in as editor so Lex Luthor decided what got printed and what didn’t. He tried to make Lois feel like she had some input on what got printed since she was probably the most experienced reporter employed at the Planet at this point. Clark saw even then that ultimately, Lex made the final decision. Lex was just manipulating Lois, subtly gaining control of her by flattery. Lex would be the solo puppeteer in this show.

Luthor had offered Jimmy to stay on as the Planet’s photographer but Jimmy opted to resign. Lois and Clark were the only ones left of the old gang and soon that would dwindle to just Lois.

It was Thursday, late in the evening, and Clark had gathered his things to head home. He had straightened his desk and was hanging his coat over his shoulder to head for the elevator. Lois approached him.

"Headed home?"

"Yeah, I am. It's been a long day." Clark seemed tired, mentally.

"Maybe you could stop by later. I'll pick up some Chinese take out."

"Umm, Lois, why don't you come by my place when you're done here? There is something I'd like to talk to you about. I'll cook dinner. Say...six thirty?"

"Alright, six thirty it is." Clark turned and headed toward the elevators.

Clark headed for the elevators. Lois watched him with a soft smile gracing her features until the doors closed. As the elevator closed Lois thought how handsome Clark was and had become more handsome since she’d come to know him. His small town values and his kindness made him even more handsome. She hoped that their friendship would never end. Lois would then work for another hour before she would realize that it was a little after five.

"Oh...I'm going to be late for dinner at Clark's." Lois chastised herself as she straightened her desk and closed down her computer. She grabbed her coat and headed for home to change and then to Clark's place.

At exactly six twenty-five, Lois knocked on Clark's door. After a couple of seconds, Clark answered and invited Lois in.

"Dinner is almost ready, Lois. Come on in and have a seat."

"Oh, whatever it is smells delicious!"

"Its scallops, muscles, crab meat, lobster tails and shrimp in a white wine sauce over ziti sprinkled with sun dried tomatoes. Would you like a glass of wine?"

"Sure." Lois’s mouth had started to water just from the mere description of dinner.

Clark poured Lois a glass of white wine and brought it to her where she sat on the sofa. Clark returned to the kitchen and proceeded to set the table while he chatted generically with Lois about the days events. When the table was set, Clark invited Lois to come and sit. Lois was curious about what Clark needed to talk with her about, but knew that the conversation would soon get started over dinner.

Lois took the first bite of her pasta and couldn't help but to moan. Clark just stared at her with his forked stopped just inches before his mouth. His mouth was open and mentally watering, not for dinner but for Lois. He seemed frozen in space as he watched Lois.

"Clark...?" Lois finally said when she saw Clark's stare.

Clark quickly broke from his spell and cleared his throat.

"Oh, I umm…I..." Clark said nervously.

"So, what did you need to talk with me about?"

As nervous as Clark was about talking to Lois, he was glad for the distraction from her eating. She sent his hormones on roller coasters.

"Oh, I...um...I wanted to ask you something. Please, hear me out." Clark cleared his throat. "You know how I feel about working for Luthor…right?"

"Clark, I'm not going to argue with you…"

"Please, Lois, just listen to me. I'm going home to Smallville...for a while…a few weeks…or longer. I just wanted to ask you if you would come with me...you know…get some time away. Besides, I could use the company on the road...another driver. It's a long drive from Metropolis to Kansas." Clark was nervous. “We could talk…you know spend some quiet time together…as friends…I mean…”

"Clark what will you do about the Planet?"

"I'm turning in my resignation. I cannot continue to work for Luthor."

"You have another job?"

"No, but I have resumes out. I'm not worried. I have savings…and I could always write freelance meanwhile." Clark looked down at his hands. He was shielding himself from the rejection that he was pretty sure would come. "Please, Lois, come with me. I'll pay your air fare back home…whenever you want to return."

"Are you coming back to Metropolis at all?"

"I don't know, Lois."

"What about me, Clark? What about our friendship?"

"We'll always be friends, Lois. That's why I'm asking you to come with me. Just some time away...the two of us. Please, Lois."

"Okay, but just for a little while...a week maybe. Then I have to get back to the Planet. Maybe I can get Perry to change his mind about retirement."

"Thank you, Lois." Clark held Lois's hands and kissed them. "I plan to head out on Monday morning. Is that enough time?"

“Yeah that’s enough time. It’ll give me time to tell Lex and…”

“Lois…no! Please don’t. I just don’t want him to know…just please don’t. I’m begging you.”

Lois was pretty sure that she saw fear in Clark’s eyes.

“But…why?”

“Please, Lois…just this once…for me.”

Lois conceded. “Okay. If it means that much to you.”

Clark let out a breath that he didn’t know he had been holding. “Thank you.” Truthfully Lex couldn’t be far enough from him, especially without powers. Krypton wasn’t far enough for Clark to be away form Lex right now.

Lois and Clark finished their dinner. They talked until way into the night. Lois ended up falling asleep on Clark’s couch. He would wake her in the morning in time for work.

Lois and Clark packed Clark’s grey 4Runner on Sunday and at four in the morning on Monday, they headed out on their twenty hour drive to Smallville. They should get there around midnight on Monday night.

Lois and Clark took turns driving. They talked a lot and got a lot of feelings out into the open. Clark let Lois know how he felt about her without actually saying the three scary words. Lois alluded to the fact that while she thought that Clark was the type of man that she would like to settle down with, she only saw friendship in their future together.

Though Clark still would not tell Lois why he absolutely despised Lex Luthor, he got his point across, though Lois was not buying it. Clark didn't tell Lois that Lex was the reason that he was driving all this way and not flying Superman Express. Clark did not tell Lois how Lex had stripped him of his powers. He would always remember that day.

<Superman had responded to a bank alarm around midnight. The bank was one located near Lex Towers. When Superman landed in front of the bank, he suddenly felt increasing weakness and pain. He felt nausea end eventually he was on his knees. Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder and seemed to burn a hole where it touched. He looked up through blurred vision and saw green cuff lengths attached to Lex Luthor’s shirt sleeves! Kryptonite! Superman tried to back away but was too weak by now. Then Lex got to his knees and blew green powder into Superman’s nostrils. It burned its way through Superman’s respiratory system, him like a blue flame. Superman started to cough and tried to crawl away.

“Luthor…why…?” Superman cried out in pain.

Luthor attempted to drag Superman into his waiting limousine but there were police sirens in the distance. Superman’s dense molecular structure had given Lex an unexpected struggle. Lex instead whispered in Superman’s ear then got into his limousine which quickly retreated.

“If it’s the last thing I do, I will kill you Superman!”>

The bank alarm had been false. The Metropolis police knew that something was wrong with Superman but he shook it off as nothing and tried to fly off. Nothing! With burning lungs with every respiration and muscles that ached with every movement, he then slowly rounded an alleyway and sat in pain before he could muster the strength to walk home. Luthor had planned to kill him slowly but had not anticipated Superman’s dense structure and the police arriving so quickly. That had been three weeks ago and his powers had not returned. Dr. Klein thought that since the Kryptonite dust had gotten into Superman, it would take longer to work its way out of his system. He did however expect him to eventually recover one hundred percent.

Along the drive when Clark was at the wheel there were times when he would look over in the passenger seat at a sleeping Lois. She was so angelic…beautiful…and he loved her so much. He knew that the truth was that that feisty little woman was just refueling but that is what made him fall in love with her in the firs place. But now that things were different in Metropolis he knew that his chances of ever having Lois as more than a friend were essentially non-existing.

As planned, Lois and Clark arrived at the Kent's farmhouse about eleven twenty on Monday night. Both tired, the couple got out of Clark's SUV and headed into the farmhouse. The Kent's house was dark and quiet. It appeared that Martha and Jonathan were asleep. Clark had not told his parents that he was coming so naturally they would not be up expecting him at this hour. His parents knew that he was without his powers and he did not want them to worry about him.

Clark quietly made his bed in his old room for Lois and he grabbed a blanket and a pillow and made himself a bed on the couch downstairs. Before long, they were both off to sleep.

Clark woke up at about seven thirty the next morning. The house was still quiet. It was so unlike his parents to sleep in that long. He hadn’t heard any activity as there would normally be at this hour in the farm house. Clark got up and went upstairs to check his parents’ bedroom. Their bed was made as if no one had slept in it. He started to get worried. He then called his mother's cell phone number and sure enough, she answered.

"Mom…?"

"Clark, dear…"

"Where are you? I'm in Smallville."

"Oh, honey, were in Nebraska, visiting Aunt Emily. We didn't know you were coming home. We were planning to come back on Friday."

"That's okay, Mom. Stay. We'll be here for a while. We'll be okay."

"We…?"

"Yes. Lois came with me. She's still asleep right now."

"Asleep."

"I'll explain later, Mom. I love you. See you Friday."

"We love you, too honey. Bye."

Just as Clark hung up from Martha, his cell phone rang.

"Clark Kent..."

"Mr. Kent, this is Dean Cain, the editor at the St. Peter Times in St. Peter, Kansas. I was looking over your CV and wondered of you were still interested in the assistant editor's position?"

"Yes sir. I am."

"I'd like to meet with you...you know…to see if this is what you really want. After all, you would be leaving the Daily Planet?"

"Already left, sir."

There was a pause on the other end of the phone line.

"When can you be here?"

"Well, just so happen I'm in Smallville visiting my parents and I can be there, say at nine?"

"Perfect! See you then."

Clark headed upstairs to his room to get changed. When he approached the door, he softly knocked. He didn't want to accidentally walk in on Lois if she were indecent. There was no answer and from the sound of her breathing she was still asleep. Clark cautiously went into his bedroom and surely, Lois was still peacefully asleep.

Clark proceeded to get changing clothes from his closet but instead of using the bathroom in his room he decided to use the hall bathroom. He didn't want to wake Lois. He stood for a few moments and watched Lois sleep before he mentally shook himself back to reality. Lois was so beautiful and innocent as she slept. He ached to reach out and just slightly touch her soft skin, gently tease the splayed hair back from her beautiful face. Instead he leaned over and lightly kissed her on the cheek and whispered just at her ear, "I love you." His lips gently brushed against her earlobe as he backed away.

When Clark was showered and ready to go, he checked to see if Lois was awake yet. She was still asleep. Clark thought he should leave a note just in case she was awake before he returned.

Lois,
I went to St. Peter, about twenty
miles from here. I should be back
no later than noon. Make yourself
at home. Mom and Dad are in
Nebraska.

Clark

Clark went out to his 4Runner and headed for St. Peter.

The drive to St. Peter was peaceful especially around this time of year when it was starting to get warm and the flowers were starting to bloom. Clark thought about the legend surrounding the town's name. The reference was to the archangel St. Peter who is said to be the guard of the gates of heaven. Once one passes the county line into the town of St. Peter, he is said to have entered heaven. It was just that secluded and peaceful. If there was a heaven on Earth, it was in the small town of St. Peter.

All went well for Clark with his meeting with Mr. Cain. Clark was officially offered the position of assistant editor and he gracefully accepted it. Mr. Cain offered a very generous salary as well. This was absolutely an offer that Clark could not refuse. Finally he would be away from the hold of Lex Luthor and with any luck he could convince Lois to stay here in Kansas with him...on a permanent basis. Even if she didn't want to jump right into a permanent situation, he hoped that she would at least stay around and see how things went.

Surely if she wanted to stay he could talk Mr. Cain into offering her a job. With his salary, she would not have to start working right away if she wanted to look for something else. But knowing Lois… Clark had to slow down his thoughts. He was being much too presumptuous.

On the way back to Smallville, Clark caught a glimpse of a real estate sign and decided to follow the directions. He ended up at a very secluded 3 acre property with what looked like a newly built home…approximately 2500 ft2 red brick home. The lady whom he assumed to be the real estate agent seemed to be just leaving as Clark approached.

Clark hurried from his truck and beckoned for the agent's attention.

"Wait, please!"

The agent turned around and waved indicating that she heard Clark. Clark approached her rapidly.

"Thank you for waiting. I'm Clark Kent and I just caught sight of this property. It's absolutely beautiful." Clark held out his hand to shake with the lady whose name tag indicated that she was indeed the real estate agent.

"I'm Teresa Meccitti, St. Peter's Properties." Teresa shook Clark's hand. Teresa was tall, average sized and blonde. She had grey eyes and a smile that just made one trust her.

"It is a beautiful place. It belonged to an elderly woman, 86 years old, I think. Her children built this for her but just before she closed on the property, she had a massive stroke and was subsequently unable to live alone. Her daughter took her in and she died just a couple of week later. The house has been for sale since...never occupied. It's been about a year now. It has had a lot of showings but surprisingly no one had wanted to buy it."

"Can I look around?"

"Sure. Let me take you inside." Teresa reopened the house for Clark to look inside. It had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, formal living and dining rooms, a breakfast nook and a great room. The lot was a wooded 3 acres.

"Ms. Meccitti, I don't understand...it’s beautiful. Why has it not sold? Is something wrong with it?"

"Teresa, please...and no, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just that this is for a family…I guess...ready to settle in the country. Most young people want the rapid pace of the city. While they absolutely adore the property, it's too far from the city. Are you married Mr. Kent?"

"Clark, please...and no, I'm not."

Teresa noticed a look of longing disguise Clark’s features as he answered.

"Girlfriend?"

"No." Clark almost whispered his answer. "But, I'm from Smallville and I love the country. I'm hoping to convince her...a special person in my life...to stay here in Kansas with me."

"If you're ready to settle down, this is the place for you."

“I’m ready. I just wish that she were ready, too.” For a moment, Clark looked away sadly. "I just got a new job at the St. Peter Times, assistant editor. I'm moving back home from Metropolis. I start at the times in two weeks. It...this…is just in my price range. I'll take it, Teresa."

"Let me get papers together and we will set up a closing date. Thank you Mr. Kent…Clark." Teresa shook Clark's hand to seal his intent.

Clark and Teresa exchanged information and Clark then headed back to his truck. He couldn't wait to get back to the farmhouse. He had a lot to talk to Lois about.

When Clark got back to the farm he heard Lois up stirring around in the kitchen as he approached the front door. It was just a little past noon.

Lois heard Clark's truck come up. She couldn't believe that she had slept that long…until almost noon. She must have been really tired. She was plundering through the kitchen cabinets looking for coffee when Clark entered the kitchen.

"Hello, sleepy head."

"Hi." Lois smiled. "Why did you let me sleep so long? Thank goodness Martha and Jonathan aren't here or they'd have my hide."

Clark just smiled.

"Lois, I'd like to talk to you…about something…please sit." Clark pulled out a chair for Lois. Lois got a look on her face that Clark couldn’t quite read. He needed to talk with Lois a lot lately.

“Okay. I’m not going to like this am I? Your look…I can’t read your look.”

“I…no…it’s nothing bad. In fact, it’s great news.”

"What were you doing so early? I mean in a suit and all?"

"That's what I need to talk with you about." Clark pulled a chair and sat facing Lois. He gently took her small hands in his much larger ones. She didn’t resist or pull away.

"Lois, I had an interview this morning…St. Peter Times. The editor offered me the position…assistant editor. I accepted." Clark looked down at their entwined hands. He then laced his fingers with Lois's.

"Oh."

"I wanted to ask you if...well, we've been best friends for about a year now and I know that this is all new...to you...but I'm in love with you, Lois...have been since I met you…just in case you didn’t know.” Clark smiled at this. “You are my life...and…well…I'm asking you to stay here, with me. I know that you don’t feel that way about me…yet…but give it a chance and let’s see where things go...and maybe you will, someday. I’ll wait for you, as long as you need. And besides, I have a contract on a house in St. Peter. Lois it's beautiful. You’ll love it. But, if you don't like it we don't have to buy it. Please, just say yes."

Lois went into a state of sensory overload.

"Stay with you? Clark I can't just up and move halfway across the United States. I…I…"

Clark suddenly kissed Lois, gently and thoroughly, to stop her babbling before it got started. Lois didn’t seem to know what to do initially but after a few seconds, she returned the kiss with much more emotion than a friend would have.

"Marry me Lois. I know that it will take time for you to adjust, but please, just be with me. I love you so much."

As if Lois wasn’t already in overload, Clark’s sudden proposal took her…well she was broadsided. But she knew that she didn’t see Clark as a potential suitor and she had to tell him that…without hurting him.

"Oh, Clark, I don't know what to say. I do love you, but not like that. I thought we talked about that. I thought you understood. I always enjoy being here, in the country but I belong in Metropolis. I..."

"Then, I'll go back to Metropolis with you…to be with you."

"Clark, I've been seeing Lex off and on. You know that. And I know that you don’t approve. But, I don't think it would be fair to not at least give him an equal chance. He's offered me a job at LNN and I think I'm going to take it. I think he’ll eventually shut down the Planet. Clark, he's in love with me."

"And I'm not? Lois, Luthor is..."

"No, Clark! I'm not listening to this!"

“Tell me you didn’t feel what I felt just then when I kissed you.”

Lois didn’t say anything. She just looked away.

"Do you love him?"

"Clark, I'm warning you! Don’t go there!"

Clark slowly let go of Lois's hands and abruptly stood. He turned away from Lois and ran his hands through his thick dark hair.

"I guess it doesn't matter that I'm in love with you." Clark looked defeated.

"I’m a city girl Clark! I belong in Metropolis! You asked me to drive out here with you for the company. I had no idea that you were going to...propose. You have no right…"

Lois abruptly stood and disappeared up the stairs. Clark sighed and turned to take residence on the top step of the front porch. He took deep breaths and batted his eyes to keep tears back. Lois had said that she didn't want to marry him. She wanted to go back to give Luthor a chance. She didn't know that Luthor was the reason that he was without powers right now.

Silent tears flowed down Clark’s cheeks. He sat on the front step for what seemed like hours, just thinking. In all actuality, it had been two hours. He didn’t understand how Lois could be so willing to give Luthor a chance but brush him off. He loved Lois…was in love with Lois, would cherish her and take care of her. The last thing he would do would be to betray her or hurt her. But no matter what he did, she did not see that…see Clark that way.

Clark realized that he had not heard or seen Lois since she ran upstairs. Initially he could hear her sobbing and it tore at his heart. How would he ever fix this? Reluctantly after schooling his features he got up and went inside, up the stairs to his bedroom. Clark knocked softly on the bedroom door and shyly asked, "Can I come in?"

When Lois got into Clark’s bedroom she closed the door and fell face down on his bed sobbing. This was supposed to be rest and relaxation. Not a proposal. She had always stopped Clark when he started down the romance path with her but he just had not been listening. He proposed. HE PROPOSED! Damn him!

Lois thought of Lex and how he had been wining and dining her. Lex was exciting. He took Lois on exotic trips, to movie premiers and the ballet. It was definitely different in the social circle of the world’s second richest man. Lex was elegant and charming. He always made Lois feel elegant and beautiful.

Clark on the other hand was just a normal guy who liked to wear jeans around the house, rent movies and have pizza and beer on Friday nights. Clark was definitely worldly as far as travel. He was a bit naïve but smart and well spoken. He made Lois feel elegant and beautiful, loved and cherished, protected but equal. Clark was comfortable. But Lois just didn’t love him that way.

Lois cried and thought and cried and thought some more until she decided that she could not stay in Smallville for a whole week with a hurt Clark. He would sulk and make her feel guilty. And when Martha and Jonathan came back, it would be that much worse because they were such good people. Lois decided not to hold Clark to the promise to pay her air fare back home so she called the airline when she finally stop crying enough and paid for the ticket on her credit card. Clark would be devastated when he found out that her flight would be leaving for Metropolis in just two hours, but better now than later.

Almost as soon as Lois hung up from the airline she heard a knock and a whispered plea at the bedroom door.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

Clark entered his room and his breath caught as he saw Lois sitting on the side of his bed with a tear streaked face. Right beside her was her suitcase, all packed.

"Lois," Clark asked with a shaky voice, "what is this?"

“I called the airport. A flight to Metropolis leaves from Wichita in two hours…at four thirty. Please…I want to go home.”

Clark was defeated. He thought of trying to reason with Lois but then thought better of it. He bowed his head and stuck his hands in his pockets. He sighed as if he was about to say something but just finally conceded an "okay".

It was a long ride to Wichita. Initially there was strained silence but when they passed through St. Peter, Lois noticed.

“Is this where you’re moving to?”

“Yes. It’s right down that road…the house.”

“Just a few minutes from you parents.”

It took all Clark had to say even a one syllable word without losing control of his emotions. “Yes.” He was quietly hoping that this was the end of their conversation for now. It was just too painful. Lois must have understood because she said essentially nothing after that.

Clark got Lois to the airport and sat beside her at her gate waiting for her boarding call. Almost as a sudden after thought, he gently grasped Lois's hand and just held it for a few minutes in silence. He leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. Lois didn't pull away. Instead, she intertwined her fingers with his and just looked straight ahead. Then the dreadful call came.

"American Airlines Flight 1833 nonstop service to Metropolis now boarding..."

Clark stood and then did Lois. Clark tucked a disarray hair behind Lois’s ear while still holding her hand with the other hand. He kissed her on the forehead then whispered, "Take care of yourself". He reluctantly released her hand almost in slow motion as he turned, slumped his shoulders and walked away. He couldn't let Lois see his tears so when she called to him he just kept walking picking up the pace even.

"Clark..."

Clark didn't acknowledge that Lois had called him. The rest of Lois's statement died on her lips as Clark proceeded to walk away. <"Keep in touch.">

tbc...

~My fictional characters names are made from parts of the names of my family members and my seven year old's imaginary friends.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.