#43183 06/03/07 01:35 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh Marcus, that's a lovely story!

I love how you made Lois and Clark - eh, Lois and Superman - come out so adorable. There was something so delightfully old-fashioned, comic book sense of wonder about how Superman took care of the asbestos dust, confining it inside a sphere, melting it and turning it into harmless quartz and dumping it at sea. And then, of course, I loved seeing how he saved the homeless cat. And Lois refused to have anything to do with it, but she may very well end up adopting it anyway! laugh Yay!

And Lois was pregnant again, apparently for the third time at least. Oh, so sweet. *happy sigh* And she and Clark have won two Pulitzers and four Kerths as a team! clap And Jimmy, too, was as adorable and as high-tech and as professional as a photographer and a snoop as ever!

And Veronica Mars herself was great, too. Of course she figured out that Superman is Clark Kent. But she refused to tell anyone about that, because she, too, could see what a great guy Clark/Superman is, and she didn't want to jeopardize anything for him.

And it was so much fun to see that Dan Scardino was one of those who would give Veronica her grade.

What a great crossover, Marcus! I loved it.

Ann

#43184 06/03/07 01:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm wary of crossovers in general, but this one really worked! Great story, Marcus! It was very believable. thumbsup

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#43185 06/03/07 04:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed it! I was wary of crossovers too because I haven't the faintest idea what Veronica Mars is even about, but this was really well explained and in character. Great story!

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#43186 06/03/07 04:53 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
clap

I, too, am wary of crossovers, but generally I read yours, Marcus, because you always do them so well, and this is no exception. Despite having never seen Veronica Mars, I was able to follow this without a problem.

I loved this glimpse into the future, especially with Jimmy tossing off the high tech terms right and left. I think you had the balance between Veronica and the LnC characters just right, nothing heavy handed at all. And you thought of a great little event to have on Veronica's first day. My only regret is that we didn't get a glipmse of Perry.

Great work, Marcus!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#43187 06/03/07 05:36 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Can't resist mentioning that just yesterday, I saw a movie which reminds me of your story, Marcus. The movie was Breach, directed by Billy Ray, and the person corresponding to Veronica Mars in it was Eric O'Neill, a young would-be FBI agent who was told to spy on an important person and find evidence against him. Like Veronica Mars, Eric O'Neill soon questioned the task he had been given. Like Veronica, he began to respect the man he was ordered to spy on too much. His target, Robert Hanssen, had served his country for twenty-five years, was a brilliant intelligence officer, went to Mass every Sunday, was happily married and was beloved by his grandchildren. Eric had been told that Hanssen was a bit of a sexual deviant, a claim that the aspiring young agent doubted, but it was true. More to the point, Hanssen was a big-time traitor who had sold massive amounts of classified information about his country to the Soviet Union and later Russia.

Ah, but when Veronica Mars looked at Superman, she sure didn't find any skeletons in his closet! And she found absolutely no reason not to like Lois, either, whereas Bonnie Hanssen came thorugh as slightly questionable, and certainly too blind, in Billy Ray's movie. No wonder your story put a smile on my face, Marcus. Isn't it delightful to look through someone else's eyes at a person who is so honest-to-God good as Clark Kent? *happy sigh*

Ann

#43188 06/03/07 06:56 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful, totally delightful. I've only seen a couple of episodes of Veronica Mars during it's first season so I don't know how well you captured her character but the concept of the test was delightful. and the way you carried it out, and he little bits of the future L&C were very well done.

Lois looked at the cat and narrowed her eyes, and Clark hastily said "I'm going to drop her off at the pound. Superman said he could see a microchip under her skin,
Such fun. And it made me think of CC Aiken's Cat story. Something The Cat Dragged In

Framework4
#43189 06/03/07 08:29 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Haven't seen any episodes of Veronica Mars, but I thought your story quite delightful.

I enjoyed seeing Lois, Clark and Jimmy 10 years on from a different perspective. Even Scardino wasn't so bad.

Thank you for a really good read. smile

Yours Jenni

#43190 06/03/07 09:01 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Yay! Lois and Clark and Veronica Mars all rolled into one! What's not to like? laugh This was great, Marcus, and I really liked Scardino, but then I never thought he was that bad in the first place.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#43191 06/03/07 09:09 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, like many others I've never really seen 'Veronica Mars', but I really enjoyed this story (I'm not normally into crossovers either)! smile

I too thought it was great how Jimmy was tossing out all the technical terms and how the banter between him and Veronica flowed.

Well done! clap

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#43192 06/03/07 09:55 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Very promising! I can say when I was a 19-year-old intern at a newspaper, I didn't get to do anything nearly that interesting! I don't watch Veronica Mars, but the premise of someone that young trying to figure out who Superman is definitely interesting! Now where's Part 2, eh?

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#43193 06/03/07 10:40 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Thanks everyone - I really didn't think this would be so well-received.

Originally posted by EditorJax:
Very promising! I can say when I was a 19-year-old intern at a newspaper, I didn't get to do anything nearly that interesting! I don't watch Veronica Mars, but the premise of someone that young trying to figure out who Superman is definitely interesting! Now where's Part 2, eh?
Veronica seems to be one of those high-flyers who gets weird opportunities, a scarily intelligent heroine whose father is a former sheriff turned private detective. I forget how many murders Veronica solves in the three series they made, if you include one instance of mass murder it's at least 15 or 20. The first series at least is excellent television, with a main story arc involving the murder of Veronica's best friend. S2 has the mass-murder plot but isn't quite as good. For S3 they unfortunately decided to dispense with a single story arc and it really suffers by comparison, and it looks like they won't be making any more.

At the moment I'm not planning to write a sequel - for some reason Veronica Mars is a character I seem to write best in the first person, and since I'm not actually a 19-year-old girl it rather limits what I can do with her. I have written one long VM / Buffy / Angel crossover, Subcontractor , and I may eventually write a sequel to that, but I doubt it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#43194 06/03/07 10:45 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I never watched Veronica Mars, but I understood the story very well. Really cute, Marcus! I liked the camera gizmos dialogue between Jimmy and Veronica. Yes, the digital age has changed many a thing.
Great job!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#43195 06/03/07 10:54 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Artemis:
I never watched Veronica Mars, but I understood the story very well. Really cute, Marcus! I liked the camera gizmos dialogue between Jimmy and Veronica. Yes, the digital age has changed many a thing.
Great job!
cool
Artemis
You could buy a small car for less than the cost of the camera and lens Veronica routinely carries in Veronica Mars. Seems a little odd that she never loses or breaks it considering how often she is drugged, knocked out, burgled, etc., but you have to assume that she is a serious photography geek.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#43196 06/03/07 01:49 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I never got into VM either, but this was a very intelligent crossover. Thanks, Marcus!

Oh, don't forget "Nine Lives" either, okay?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#43197 06/03/07 09:16 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I've never even heard of Veronica Mars, but I liked your story none-the-less. Let me guess: The cat gave Clark away. Holding it as Clark and as Superman - and Veronica getting a shot of both instances. wink

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#43198 06/04/07 06:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good story, well done.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#43199 06/05/07 09:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I learned a little more about Veronica Mars by reading your "Subcontractor" Very enjoyable. I'd forgotten some of the last episodes of Angel, but it was fun to see the post-apocolyptic Scoby-doers in action again. Very nicely done.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard