So this is it, the final part. Thanks to LaraMoon for being the betareader. And thanks to all of you who kept on reading until the very end.

From Part 25:

Clark couldn’t help but chuckle, though he didn’t really feel like it. “You’re asking me to fly over to Smallville in broad daylight?” He did his best to sound incredulous.

“Don’t you dare mock me, Clark Jerome Kent! We both know it’s a cloudy day and no one will see you even if you set out to be seen,” she said. “See you in a bit.”

“Yeah, I’ll be there. Bye, Mom.” Clark replied and hung up. “Looks like the two of are going on a journey. Fancy a flight, little Miss Becca?” Though she couldn’t possibly have understood what he meant, she let out an excited giggle and Clark kissed her forehead. “I’ll take that as a yes, but don’t you complain later, honey. Okay, let’s get you dressed in something really, really warm.”

Serendipitous Infinity

Part 26:

It was as fascinating as ever. Every time he visited his parents, Clark knew why they had longed for having children - his mother in particular. The moment Clark had opened the front door, his mother was with him, placing a kiss on his cheek and reaching for Becca. For the next fifteen minutes they had a private conversation that Clark couldn’t understand despite all his hearing abilities. Martha Kent let out a rush of baby talk, a secret language that Becca seemed to know. She giggled and answered in the same manner, sometimes making sweet little noises or just looking into her grandmother’s eyes. They shot each other knowing glances and Clark couldn’t help but feel excluded. He didn’t really mind, though. In fact, he enjoyed watching their ritual.

While his mother was busy telling Becca about the last weeks - or whatever it was that the two of them were discussing - Clark went out to see his father. Maybe Jonathan would be glad to get some help. And while they were working Clark could ask him what he knew about Lily’s visit. It was unusual for her to come to Smallville. Lily had kept complaining that Wichita was far too close to Smallville. She had asked Clark why he wouldn’t go to College on the east coast or the west coast. Anywhere, but Kansas. It wasn’t because of Jonathan and Martha, Lily liked them and she didn’t really want to keep her cousin away from his folks. But her own parents lived no more than a few miles away and Lily thought that even if they were on another continent it would be too close.

Clark knew that she was a little happier when they left Kansas to travel all over the country during the summer months. Traveling with a child was rather exhausting, though and he was pretty sure she would have preferred to settle down somewhere. But on the other hand anything that brought her farther away from her parents made her smile more easily. Clark kept leaving Kansas as frequently as he could, hoping the people would forget about all the strange things that had happened while he was around. He hadn’t told Lily his true reasons for moving around so much. It was a miracle she hadn’t yet become suspicious. Or maybe she had and hadn’t bothered to ask him. Clark was still trying to understand her way of thinking and he was quite sure that he was never going to understand her completely, even when they'd both be eighty years old and toothless.

Clark's father was outside, looking after a newborn calf that obviously wasn’t sure if it should really start exploring the world around it or if it preferred staying with its mother. The calf went back and forth and was scared and fascinated at the same time. Jonathan Kent leaned against the fence and watched the scene with obvious amusement. He turned around as he heard his son approaching and wore a broad smile on his face.

“Don’t you love spring in Kansas?” he asked Clark and waited for the affirmative nod.

“Yes, Dad. You know I do. It’s great to see you,” Clark replied and hugged his father. “I’m sorry I didn’t come earlier but I was so busy over the last weeks. But now my exams are all finished and all I can do is work and wait for the results.”

“I’m sure you did just fine,” Jonathan said without a hint of doubt. “Now tell me, son, what happened between you and Lily? She seemed kind of confused while she talked to your mom. I’ve hardly ever seen her quite so nervous. It was as if she was preparing to do something extremely unpleasant. And why did she come to Smallville, of all places?”

“She said that she was going to do something she should have done long ago. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if she meant going to see her parents,” Clark answered thoughtfully. “When she first came to me with the baby, I wondered why she hadn’t gone to them for support, or to you for that matter.”

Jonathan shrugged. “I’ve always assumed that you young people like to stay together, though I cannot deny that it was rather selfish of Lily to make you care for her child. I’m proud of you, Clark. You took the responsibility, but it was a huge risk and it still is.”

“I can’t let her go back to her parents. She would do it for all the wrong reasons, Dad. She doesn't get along with them. It wouldn’t be right for Becca. She wouldn’t grow up happy like she deserves,” Clark murmured sadly.

He knew that his father wouldn’t agree. He was the voice of reason; the wisest man he knew. And really, his father gave him a speech, telling him that he couldn’t be sure Lily’s parents hadn’t changed over the years. Maybe a grandchild would make them see all the mistakes they had made with Lily. There was always a chance to make things better. Clark knew his father was right. Clark hadn’t seen his aunt and uncle for years. They had probably changed or would change at the sight of their grandchild. So many people were better grandparents than parents. And the whole affair about the unloved son-in-law, namely Becca’s real father, was probably already forgotten.

Clark didn’t like his father’s arguments, no matter how reasonable they were. To keep from blowing up in his face he started to work on the farm, doing all the things that his father usually did in the spring, like repairing the fences. It helped ease the pain, but only a little. Consciously, he knew that Lily was Becca’s mother and thus allowed to make the decisions about her future. But he didn’t want to lose his little girl. He tried to listen for Lily, now that he had an idea where she was. But he didn’t manage to force enough concentration on this task, always thinking about how his life would change if Lily was to leave him.

It was getting dark when Clark returned to the farmhouse. His father was already there, he had left Clark some time ago. Jonathan Kent knew his son well enough to not get in his way when he was angry like that. He wasn’t afraid Clark would accidentally hurt him, but he wanted to give him enough space to calm down without having to worry about humans around him. And Clark was indeed far more relaxed when he made his way back to his parents and Becca. Maybe it was because of the work, or just because he had finally made his decision. He would tell Lily his secret as soon as possible. She had every right to know. Maybe the truth would bring her back to him, and even if it wouldn’t it was still the right thing to do.

He hadn’t even arrived at his parent’s house, when the door flew open and his mother stormed out. Clark stopped cold at the strange sight of Martha Kent running over to him. His father followed her a lot slower and with Becca in his arms. For a moment, Clark couldn’t shake the idea that something terrible had happened, but his mother’s flushed cheeks didn’t look like she had just learned about a catastrophe.

“Clark, Clark!” she called out and just at this moment realized that he was already there. She slowed down and soon was with him.

“What’s the matter, Mom, has something happened?” Clark asked and patiently waited for his mother to speak. She was panting and it took her a moment to summon enough air to be able to say anything. Meanwhile she shook her head, indicating that there wasn’t anything yet to worry about. Clark let out a sigh of relief.

“Lily called us a minute and told me that she will stay overnight. She was crying and sounded rather distressed, but didn’t say why. Clark, you should talk to her. From what I understood her parents will bring her over, but I’m not sure I like the idea of her spending more time with them than necessary. I’m sure they had a bad argument and you know Lily. She has a special talent for making things only worse with them. I’m afraid that she’ll be crying all night and most of the next day by the time they arrive here. Maybe you could…” she didn’t finish the sentence, but that wasn’t necessary, anyway. Clark knew that she was asking him to go and get his cousin. He should have done that hours ago instead of working like a madman. He cursed himself for letting Lily beg for her parent’s good will. Hadn’t he already learned that at least his uncle wasn’t exactly a family person. Instead of licking his own wounds he should have spared her the pain.

“I’ll go, Mom. Look after Becca, please,” he said needlessly and didn’t await his mother’s affirmation.

In the blink of an eye Clark was in the air high above Smallville, grateful that the sky was still cloudy. Nobody was going to see him, but he had to be careful nonetheless. He could never be absolutely certain that he wasn’t seen by anyone. As much as he loved flying, he hated the implied danger. None of his powers was as obviously abnormal as flying was. It wasn't something he could explain with a flimsy excuse; there just wasn't any wind strong enough to accidentally carry him high above the clouds. Trying to make that sound plausible was downright impossible. He scanned the area underneath him, but there was no hint of Lily or her parents. Maybe they were still at home and hadn’t left yet. Clark hoped that this was the case, knowing that it would be much easier to explain how he had found her there rather than somewhere on the street.

He sped up in order to reach his uncle’s house before they left. Meanwhile he kept an eye on the streets, praying that he wouldn’t miss Lily and her parents. Clark wasn’t exactly looking forward to talking to Lily. What was she going to say? Wouldn’t she hate him for lying to her? But he just couldn’t leave her alone like this; he couldn’t let her think that he was careless, that he didn’t have any interest in his little sunshine Becca. He loved the little girl like she was his own daughter and Lily had to know, just like she needed to know a few other things.

His train of thought was interrupted by a desperate call for help. His first thought was that Lily was in danger, but soon he dismissed it. He had never before heard that voice. It was a woman he had never met and from the sound of her voice he could tell that she was in trouble. She was unmistakably afraid and it took Clark only a moment to make his decision. Lily probably was in an unpleasant situation and he would need to soothe her later, but this woman needed his attention right now. He changed directions and only moments later he headed towards the fearful cries.

A little later, Clark knew why the poor woman was crying. She was being mugged, which wasn’t too common a crime around Smallville, though it happened now and again. The mugger was still with her, obviously not content with the amount of money she had given him. Grumbling a rush of curses, he waited for her to give him her ring. It was obvious that she didn’t want to give up on it. She pretended not to be intimidated by the man in front of her, but failed. Clark could see the fear in her eyes, her trembling form. He heard her sobs and muttered affirmations that she wasn’t going to call the police if only the mugger left. She asked him to let go of the ring and as the mugger shook his head angrily and reached for it, she pushed him away. But the woman wasn’t strong enough to stand a chance. It tore at Clark’s heart. The woman was young and the ring looked like it was the only thing of value that she owned. Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

Clark landed nearby, trying to keep a distance that was safe for him as well as for her. He rushed towards the mugger, fast enough that his approach could easily be mistaken for a brush of wind. In a sudden move he grabbed the man’s shoulder and drew him back from the woman, shooting him a threatening glance. With his other hand Clark reached for the woman’s handbag and gave it back to her.

“Leave her alone!” he said as calmly as he could and made the guy turn around. The mugger froze for a moment, but quickly regained his composure and ran away as fast as he could. Clark didn’t follow him. “You’re okay?” he asked the shaky woman. She nodded weakly but didn’t say anything. Her lower lip was still trembling as new tears were running down her face. “Shhh, he’s gone and I’m pretty sure he won’t come back,” he murmured soothingly and suddenly she was in his arms, her head pressed against his chest.

Clark ran his hand up and down her back and kept murmuring soothing words. Between sobs she was telling him just how afraid she had been and how grateful she was for his help. It took her a while to regain her composure and Clark let her cry. Strange as it was he liked the feeling of her in his arms. He knew it wasn’t the right moment to feel drawn to a woman and he did his best to control himself. He didn’t want to act on the strange feelings that the smell of her hair and the warmth of her body against his caused in him. She was most likely engaged given the beautiful ring that she had so desperately fought for. He was nothing more than the man who had saved her, the broad shoulder she could lean on. It should be enough for him. The woman was forbidden area.

“Would you mind walking me home?” she asked as she pulled back after what seemed to be an eternity.

Clark remembered Lily. He wanted to get her sooner rather than later. But then, how many times had she fought with her parents and how many times had she returned with a smile on her face. It wasn’t like her life was in acute danger. But his mother would be disappointed in him when he didn’t go get her quickly. On the other hand the woman in front of him was still shaking like a leave. She looked at the dark street fearfully, as if a dozen of muggers were already waiting for her. Clark swallowed hard and decided that the young woman needed him more.

He shook his head. “Of course not. My pleasure. My name is Clark Kent.”

“So you walked her home?” Lois asked and studied Clark’s face to see his reaction. “Have you seen her again? Was she really engaged?”

Clark shrugged. “I don’t know, but that isn’t important anyway. Yes, I walked her home. I have to admit I enjoyed her company. I shouldn’t have.” He lowered his glance down to the floor. “It took me longer than necessary and I didn’t exactly rush saying goodbye to her. I guess I had forgotten about other women and she reminded me of the fact that I didn’t have a girlfriend. She was beautiful, but it wasn’t really her that fascinated me. She was just someone who shot me worshipping glances. And I enjoyed it,” he said bitterly.

Lois heard the sad tone of his voice. She instinctively knew that his being distracted was one of the things for which he blamed himself in his cousin’s death. Had it happened right in the moment that he said goodbye to the woman he had rescued from the mugger? Lois for once didn’t make him tell more, she just waited for him to continue. He seemed to have found a very interesting spot on the floor that needed his attention. While he studied it with undue intensity she could tell from the desperate expression on his face that he searched for the right words to continue.

“I…,” he then started, but his voice broke and his eyes filled with tears. “I suddenly heard a loud noise and screams. I made my excuses and rushed to the emergency as fast as I could. But I had to be careful; I couldn’t let the woman see me using my powers.”

“You couldn’t have saved Lily. Your mother told me that she died in that accident, at the very moment that it happened.” Lois said in attempt to soothe him. “It wasn’t your fault.”

Clark shook his head. “When I got there, the scene was one of sheer destruction. I don’t know how it had happened exactly, but Lily’s father had somehow steered the car into the oncoming traffic. It wasn’t a busy street, particularly not at night. That’s why the big trucks usually have the street for their own. My uncle’s car was hardly recognizable and it took me a moment to realize it was his. I could hear faint breathing from inside the car, though even today that seems quite a miracle to me. And I could hear police and ambulance sirens. They were approaching at almost the same moment that I was. I couldn’t easily run over to the car without the emergency services seeing me. I wasted valuable time and x-rayed the car, only to see her. Lily had blood all over her face, but her chest was rising and falling, though only barely so. In that very moment, I lost my head and started running over to the car in a fairly normal speed. I could hear shouts behind me, but I couldn’t have cared less. Policemen were running after me, trying to hold me back and they actually got hold of me. I hardly even realized they were there. Thus, they managed to push me down to the ground.”

“They were trying to protect you, Clark. Do you think you could have saved her if only you had been fast enough?” Lois asked quietly. “She was badly injured, you told me she was. Hardly anyone survives a crash with a truck. It wasn’t your fault. You were helping someone else, Clark. You cannot possibly be everywhere at once.”

Lois could tell from the expression on his face that this wasn’t the whole story. Besides she still didn’t know what part Mrs. Donovan played in the whole thing. She couldn’t possibly be the young woman Clark had saved that night. She didn’t have any motive whatsoever to hunt Clark years after that night because she might have fallen in love with him. That was downright ridiculous. Clark got up from the sofa and walked over to one of the windows and stared at the snow-covered fields.

“I fought against the policemen and I might have injured one or two of them. As soon as they learned that it was my family in that car they conceded that I wasn’t responsible for my actions. I continued to run towards the car and they shouted after me, just like they tried to hold back the young police officer who ran after me in an attempt to bring me back. He wanted to save my life. There were highly explosive liquids in that truck and the emergency services knew that. There wasn’t much they could have done for Lily and her parents, not until the fire fighters had an idea how dangerous approaching really was.” Clark swallowed hard before he continued to speak. His voice was now no more than a hoarse whisper and Lois found it difficult to understand what he was telling her. “Well, the truck did explode and the young police officer died. The investigators concluded that he managed to throw me down to the ground as the explosion hit us and that his covering my body saved my life.”

Clark looked into Lois's eyes, searching for any hint of accusation in them. But he didn’t see any. Instead, her eyes were wide with shock and she held her hand clasped over her mouth. It was strange talking about all this for the first time in years, if not for the first time ever.

“I heard the police officer shortly before the truck exploded. I turned towards him, trying to explain why I had to reach that car. I gestured towards him to get back, to run as fast as he could. I thought about giving up on Lily, but I hesitated too long. A split second later it was too late. I tried to save him, at least, but my attempt to cover his body was too weak. He died in my arms.” Clark’s voice trailed off and he buried his face in his hands.

The sight of him in such great distress tore at Lois’ heart. She wanted to take him in her arms and soothe him. No longer did she wonder why he hadn’t told her this before; why he hadn’t told anyone. This wasn’t exactly a story one would like to tell. Lois stood up and went over to Clark. She laid her hands on his shoulders comfortingly and gently kneaded his stiff muscles. His every muscle was clenched from his jaw line down to his toes. Lois had never seen anyone so tense.

“The newspaper didn’t say more than that four people died in the explosion. They never heard the real story. I don’t know why exactly that was. It took lots of time until the investigation was finished. There were hardly any witnesses. The emergency services were trying to safeguard the area, while I had knocked out most of the policemen…” Clark looked at Lois and then turned away. “I should have been able to help…This young police officer died because of me. Hadn’t it been for me running around like a madman, he would still be alive.”

His voice was so low that Lois could barely hear his words. She knew that he was blaming himself for something he wasn’t responsible for. It wasn’t his fault that the woman had been mugged, much less had he asked the police officer to run after him. And Clark couldn’t possibly have known that the truck had stored explosive liquid. But even though she had first met him a little over a month ago, she knew him well enough to be certain that he would never see it for what it was – an accident.

“Margaret Donovan was his aunt and she loved her nephew with all her heart. She worked for Child Services back then. In her eyes I had been irresponsible, not worthy to raise a child. She liked to consider it my fault that Lily ran away in the first place. My parents and a few other people spoke up for me and confirmed that it was all just a tragic accident and that Lily had wanted Becca to grow up with me. She read the official report over and over again, hoping she would find something to use against me. But there was nothing. Truth be told, I might have been responsible for her nephew’s death. But more people would have died, hadn’t I knocked out those policemen. Their lying motionlessly on the ground saved their lives,” he gave Lois a rueful glance.

All she could see in his eyes was pain. Instinctively Lois stepped closer to Clark, allowing him to rest his head on her shoulder. And he obviously needed the support she offered him. Clark pulled her into an embrace, holding her tightly like he was never going to let go of her again. He was shaking against her touch. He suffered because saving several lives but losing one instead was still too high a prize in his regard. “Maybe it was her who stopped the press release, figuring it would be easier to take revenge on me if the story wasn’t public knowledge,” he added quietly and in his voice Lois could hear no blame. It was as if he felt he deserved this kind of punishment, even though he might continue to fight against it for his daughter’s sake.

“So you think that she had already become Mrs. Donovan by the time the official investigation was over?” Lois asked.

“I guess so,” he replied. “I kind of remember that she appeared around that time. Becca and I spent time abroad. Since there was no hint of the accident being something else but an accident I was allowed to travel freely. I needed to put some distance between me and Smallville.” Clark made a pause and took a step back in order to be able to see Lois face. He loved her more with each moment he was with her. She was just listening and waited for him to tell her what he felt capable of telling her.

“I couldn’t believe I had lost her. It seemed impossible to come to terms with what had happened. And yet there was this little girl who needed my attention. Mom and Dad offered to take Rebecca. In fact, I think they would have preferred if she had stayed with them instead of me. They thought that coping with all these problems was too much for me. Honestly, I wouldn’t have known how to go on without Rebecca at my side. She gave me a reason to get up every morning. Fighting for her kept me alive. I didn’t even know that Mrs. Donovan had been Ms. Finnegan before you told me so. I just assumed that she had convinced Child Services in general to pursue me,” Clark said and fell silent.

Lois didn’t know what to say. And really, was there anything to say now that would sound right at a moment like this? All she could do was lay a hand on his shoulder to reassure him she was there for him. She couldn’t shrug his problems off as if they were nothing to worry about. Clark was indeed in trouble and now that Lois knew how he had upset Margaret Donovan, she wasn’t so sure how she was going to help him. But there was a way, there had to be.

Unbeknownst to Lois and Clark, Becca approached them. Seeing her father’s face wet with tears shocked the girl. She couldn’t remember having seen him cry ever before. But he surely had done it, Becca thought. He had liked her mom so much, he must have cried then. Anyway, it was strange seeing him like this, leaning against Lois for support. It couldn’t be anything but that. Her father seemed to be so weak, in a completely different way than the state he had been in a few hours before. He was drained now and all Becca wanted to do was to make it better, just like he always made things better for her. With a small peck on the cheek, a reassuring embrace or whatever it took to make the pain recede.

She didn’t know what he had been talking about. Or rather she did: Lois and her father had certainly been discussing her mother’s death. And from the sight of her father, she wasn’t so sure she still wanted to hear the story. It had to be a rather sad one. Hesitantly, she took her father’s hand. He hadn’t even heard her coming, lost in dark thoughts as he was.

“Becky,” he gasped, surprised and flinched at her touch.

“Don’t be so sad, Daddy,” she whispered and stepped towards him as he pulled her towards Lois and him, letting her share the embrace. “I’m sure Lois can help you.” She glanced up at the woman who had been a stranger to her until recently. “You can, can’t you, Lois?”

“I’ll do my very best, honey.” Lois nodded affirmatively and gave Becca a smile. “That’s my New Year’s resolution for this year. I won't let you down. Trust me?”

“Yes, and Daddy does, too. He loves you, you know?”

Clark laughed despite himself and lifted his daughter up. “Do you know how much I love you, Becca?” he asked and kissed her. “I love you so much, my little whirlwind.”

“And what about me?” Lois grinned.

“You are much more like a tornado,” Clark replied. “Or what do you think, Becca? Mhh, definitely a tornado.” He bent down to Lois and kissed her briefly. “But an extremely lovable tornado.”

A couple of days later the world seemed to be back to normal. The police had stopped Hugh Danes without major problems, it seemed. Nothing had happened to Martha and Jonathan while Clark had told Lois his story. The older Kents mentioned that the strange meteorites would be gathered together and stored in a container that could stop the radiation the rocks were emitting. Later Clark had learned that some samples had been sent to STAR Labs in Metropolis, but the major parts had been brought to a safe and very secret place. Much to Clark’s disapproval even he didn’t know where the rocks had been brought to. But he had decided that the moment he would hear anything he would throw the rocks into the sun, regardless of what Danes had thought of their potential. But for now, there was nothing he could do about it. The immediate danger however was gone and his powers were already returning. Clark could stick to his promises; they would spend New Years Eve in Smallville and afterwards fly to a nice little island somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

Lois had been very content with the first story they had investigated together and she was grateful for the partner Perry had assigned her with. She had called Angela about Mrs. Donovan. Her friend at the Metropolis Child Services had promised her that they would leave Clark alone now. It had been a long conversation and Lois knew that Clark would freak out if she ever confessed to him just how much she had told Angela. But he didn’t need to know and after all she had convinced Angela that there was no reason whatsoever to pursue Clark.

Not much later Lois had talked to Jimmy. He would dig out everything he could about the famous woman. The only problem was that Perry had overheard parts of the conversation and for some reason he thought that Lois was working on a second front-page story. She had hardly ever heard the voice of her editor sounding so excited. It would be an awful lot of work to convince him that there wasn’t any story. Clark had been right all along, he couldn’t possibly make his story common knowledge. There were more reasons than his life and Becca’s. Even though Margaret Donovan had given him quite a hard time, she didn’t deserve a story like the one Lois would like to write about her.

She hoped that talking to Angela and Jimmy was going to help Clark in one way or another. Lois knew that it was probably going to be a long way. This private war Mrs. Donovan was leading had gone on too long to end so easily. Only time could tell if her efforts would lead to success, but one thing was for sure, she would never ever allow anyone to take Becca away from Clark. The person who was going to be successful at the attempt wasn’t even born yet. And since Lois could be sure of Angela’s help, Clark and Becca were safe as long as they stayed in Metropolis. And Lois wouldn’t mind if this was forever.

“Hey, beautiful. What are you thinking about?” Clark asked Lois and laid his arms on her shoulders. “We are waiting for you. Mom has prepared dinner and Becca can’t sit still because she wants you to try her cake.”

“Becca made cake?” Lois asked surprised and suddenly she found her heart beating in her ears. A seven year old was far better in the kitchen than she was. How could she imagine herself as the right woman for Clark? This was downright impossible; Becca needed a mom, not an investigative reporter who failed at everything that was somehow related to homemaking. She just couldn’t…

“Hey, what’s the matter, why are you so pale? Is something wrong, Lois?” Clark asked concerned and gently lifted up her chin to force her to look at him.

“I… no… it’s just… I…” Lois tried to get away from Clark. What was she doing here? He didn’t need someone like her. Maybe he had fallen in love with her, but there was no way this could last.

“Lois, why don’t you just tell me? What’s bothering you? Did I do something wrong? Are you afraid of spending New Year’s Eve with us?” he asked her and cupped her cheek with his hand, carefully and affectionately. “You should know that it means nothing more than you want it to mean, Lois. We've known each other for about a month now. It might feel like a year, because so much has happened, but it is only just a month. I don’t expect anything from you, but I’d love to spend this evening with my friend.” He held out his hand to her, waiting for her to take it.

Lois looked at him, hesitating. “It’s not that. Clark, I’d love to spend this evening with you as more than just your friend. But Becca, the cake…”

“Hey, I helped her with it, it can’t be that bad,” Clark grinned. “Come on, she so much wanted to do something for you and while you were busy calling people in Metropolis Becca and I had fun in the kitchen. It meant a lot to Becca to do this for you…”

“But Clark, that’s it… I mean, I even burn water and your seven year-old daughter bakes for me. How can I ever…” she whispered desperately.

“Lois, honey, Becca and I don’t need a cook. I’m fairly good at that myself. What we need is someone who has your kind heart, if you want to share it with us, that is. We need you hugging us once in a while, we like your spirit and I’m sure Becca will be grateful one day if she doesn’t have to discuss certain things with her old dad. I love you the way you are; to me you are perfect just as you are.” He drew her closer and pulled her into an embrace. Lois rested her head on his shoulder, her worries diminished, though not completely gone.

For a while they stood in the corridor, holding each other tightly. They could hear laughter and snippets of a conversation coming from the living room. Everything was so peaceful, just as it should be. Lois felt warmth filling her body. Just as Christmas a week ago, New Year’s Eve with the Kents was so completely different from anything she knew. There was only joy in this house, not even the faintest hint of an argument. Enjoying the new experience and drinking in the sweetness of being so close to Clark, Lois decided to not let this moment pass so easily. Only, the moment didn’t want to stay with her.

Two small hands tugged at her blouse and at Clark’s shirt. They parted and looked down at a grinning Becca. She didn’t seem to be the least bit sorry for interrupting them. Instead she was smiling broadly and gestured towards the living room.

“Everyone is waiting for you!” she stated and gave Lois and Clark a soft push in the right direction.

Laughing, Lois and Clark obeyed and followed the little girl into the living room where Martha and Jonathan were already waiting. The older Kents had lifted their glasses of wine and waited for the younger couple to join them. Lois couldn’t remember when she had seen so many smiling people celebrating together. She sat down next to Clark who had already lifted his glass as well. Lois took her own glass of wine.

“A toast to a wonderful new year!” Clark said and looked deeply into Lois eyes.

“But Clark, this one hasn’t ended yet.” Lois protested.

“If the next one starts half as well as this one has ended it will still be more than wonderful!” he grinned.

“To a wonderful new year,” Martha and Jonathan replied unisonous and Martha added. “Welcome to the family, Lois. We don’t know if it will work out between you and Clark, but I think after all that happened, we can consider you a part of this family.”

The End

It's never too dark to be cool. cool