The Prankster's Revenge part4
by Tank

Lois stood outside the New Troy Penitentiary and stared up at the massive stone building. She approached the impressive iron gate and fingered the call button on the speaker box located outside the gate. It was time she had a little talk with The Prankster face to face.

It hadn't been easy, but she'd managed to see Henderson last night. Fearing that she was being watched she had disguised herself and had walked out with a small group of people who'd been visiting a tenant from down the hall. She'd heard the party going on when she'd gotten home and had figured it would be a good cover if she needed to leave. So she had donned the 'trashiest' looking clothes that she had, covered her short ragged locks with an old beret she'd used a couple of Halloween's ago, and for good measure, put on an old pair of reading glasses that she kept in the bedroom. Then she waited.

She had gone through the motions of turning out the lights in the living room, and turning on the bedroom ones. She left those on for a time, then turned them out, making it look like she had turned in for the night. In the dark, she went back out to the main room and waited by her front door. When she heard a group of people leaving the party, she quickly let herself out of her apartment and managed to look like she was part of that group when she left her building.

Obviously, she couldn't take her car so she hailed a cab and was whisked away from Carter Ave. After a couple of miles toward downtown, Lois got out of the cab and went to the nearest phone booth. It took some digging into her bag, but she'd managed to find the bent card that Henderson had given her some months back during a particularly nasty investigation. He'd been concerned enough then to have actually written his home phone number on the back of the card. Once she'd found the card she dialed the number and hoped that he wouldn't be too upset being woken up at such a late hour.

Bill Henderson wasn't a stupid man, so it really hadn't surprised Lois when he showed no irritation over being called in the middle of the night. He knew something had to be going on. He'd already had some 'words' with Lois about the initial 'incidents' that she'd been involved in because of Griffin. He knew that for Lois to be calling him up at such an hour meant that she needed his help. They arranged to meet at a small all night diner on the corner of Shuster and 38th.

Lois had confided in Henderson; explaining the whole set-up. She told him about her theories as to where Superman might be being held and had turned over her list of addresses to him. Bill, in turn, promised to find a way to have his men check out as many of those addresses as possible. He did have to explain to her that he couldn't just assign a great deal of manpower to the task without some sort of reason. He'd have to do it in conjunction with other natural functions of his department. It wouldn't go as quickly as either one of them would like it to, but he'd do the best he could. Maybe they'd get lucky.

The two of them talked for a while longer, discussing possible strategies or plans of action in the event that they didn't find the place where Superman was being kept before the deadline. Henderson had pointed out that even if Lois signed a legal waiver claiming she was allowing the execution to take place of her own free will, it wouldn't wash. Technically it would still be considered suicide, and suicide was illegal.

And that led her to the prison and her own interview with The Prankster. If she was ever going to be able to save Clark, she would have to make Griffin see reason.

It took quite a bit of pleading and cajoling before they believed Lois' need to talk to Griffin was genuine, but they finally relented. It was a somewhat surprised Prankster who came into the small room and saw who his visitor was.

"Why, Lois, it's so nice to see you. I was actually hoping to see you one last time before... well, you know."

She glared at him. "Are you insane?"

"Is that a rhetorical question?"

"I'm beginning to think so." Lois leaned back in the chair. "I guess my question is, do you really think that I will march up and stand in front of a firing squad? One made up of my friends yet?"

Griffin grinned at her. "I have to say that I'm hopeful, but if you refuse I still get a measure of revenge." He giggled at her look of confusion. "Remember, Lois, I have Superman and if you don't go through with my little plan... I kill him. I imagine that might cause you a few sleepless nights."

Lois stared at her own hands for several seconds before raising her head and looking at Griffin. She nodded. "Okay, you're right, I can't let anything happen to Superman if I can prevent it. And if that means that I have to die in some stupid circus-like manner to prevent that I will. But you have to give me some things, too."

"I don't have to give you anything, Lois, I hold all the cards, but I'm listening."

"First and foremost, you have to convince me that if I go along with this. If I give you your revenge. You will let Superman go... unharmed."

This time it was Griffin who leaned back in his chair. His smile slowly dissolved and was replaced by a look she'd never seen on his face before. "Lois, I can give you my word, but I know that would mean nothing to you. And truthfully, if it suited my purposes, I'd go back on my word without a moment's hesitation. So, instead, I'll try and convince you that once I have my revenge on you, Superman's death would be pointless."

"Aren't you concerned that he'd hold you personally responsible for my death? It doesn't matter what you have me sign, or who actually pulls the trigger; everyone will blame you for my death."

"True; and I plan to take credit for it too. But what is anyone, including Superman, going to do? I'm in prison. For all the rage and resentment he might hold for me, Superman is a noble beast. One who will not kill. Not even to avenge you."

"But wouldn't you be worried that the authorities will add to your prison term?"

Griffin chuckled. "My dear, Lois, I tried to kidnap the President of the United States. Do you have any idea how long my sentence is?"

"Long?"

Griffin nodded. "You could say that."

"Still, what about Superman? Are you so sure that he won't take some measure of personal retribution?"

He rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on, Lois. He's Superman. What the heck is he going to do? Call a press conference and publicly condemn my dastardly actions?" Griffin's grin came back. "Actually, if you think about it, with you dead, letting Superman live would be much crueler than killing him. He's a hero. One of those annoying types whose has such an excess of nobility that he'll take on the responsibility for your demise. Even if I were to pull the trigger myself, he would feel that he'd failed because he hadn't been able to save you, and worse, his life would have been traded for yours. Can you imagine the guilt that Superman would carry with him from that?"

Lois chewed on her bottom lip. She knew Griffin was right. She knew that if she were to die to affect his release, Clark would not only be devastated by the personal loss, but he would take on the blame for her death. She hoped it wouldn't come to that, but if it did she'd still make the trade. A guilt-ridden Superman would still be better than no Superman. He would never stop helping people. He couldn't.

"All right, let's say that I do believe that you will let Superman go if I go through with this execution. I guess my eventual death is pretty important to you."

"Oh, it is, Lois. You've been the single greatest bane to my life. I curse the day our paths first crossed, and have dreamed of erasing you from my life ever since."

"Well, if you want this to happen, you have to let me tell everyone that you have Superman as a hostage."

Griffin shook his head slowly. "Now why would I do that? Part of the fun is watching the reaction of the public as the famous Lois Lane does all these inexplicable things for no apparent reason."

"Look, it's one thing to dump tar and feathers on me, or make me participate in a ridiculous boxing match, but this firing squad execution is a whole different problem. It took all my persuasion to convince Inspector Henderson not to interfere with those two little exhibitions, and he's a friend of mine."

"You consider Inspector Henderson... of the Metropolis Police Department... a friend?"

Lois shrugged. "Well, maybe not a close friend, but I respect him and I'm pretty sure he respects me. Besides, I trust him." She took a deep breath and shook her head. "But don't you see? He's not going to let this execution thing slide. He's not going to allow a public murder to take place."

Griffin waved his hands. "Well, I wouldn't really call it a murder. More like... suicide."

"Newsflash, Prankster, suicide is also illegal. There is no way I would be able to convince the city authorities to allow this to happen. Especially if I can't tell them why they should let this happen."

"Even if you tell everyone that Superman is a hostage, that won't change the legality of the firing squad."

"No, it won't; but it will give me ammunition to take to the mayor and the police to try and persuade them to allow this. Heck, once its public knowledge that Superman will die if I don't, the people will demand that I be executed just as you wish." Lois spread her hands in a gesture of helplessness. "It’s the only chance that they'll let this happen."

Griffin leaned back and stared at Lois for several moments. Finally he nodded. "I guess I can see the logic to your argument." He smiled. "What the heck, never let it be said that I stood in the way of a fair damsel and her doom. Okay, you can tell the world that Superman is a hostage to your proper behavior."

Lois nodded. "One more thing; Clark Kent can't be a member of the firing squad."

Griffin suddenly got animated. "Oh no, Lois, there is no backing out allowed on that point. It's up to you to convince your friends to pull the triggers. As you say, you now can use Superman's predicament to help persuade them of the necessity."

"It isn't that. He's not available. He went home to Kansas, and took ill. He'd too sick to fly so he's stuck out there until he's better. The doctor thinks he will be bed ridden for at least a week."

Griffin's eyes narrowed. "You aren't just trying to spare your partner from this are you?"

Lois shrugged. "I'm sure you've got people watching me. Check with them. Have any of them seen Clark around for the last couple of days?"

"I'm not convinced that you aren't trying to pull something here, but since I can't see how it would really make any difference in the final outcome, I guess I can accept it."

"You're too kind."

His grin was not something pleasant to look at. "So, Lois, who would you like to take the place of your absent partner?"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll think of somebody. Probably that goof, Lenny, that you've had carrying out all your morbid little tasks."

"No, Lois, it must be a friend or loved one of yours. That's what makes it so deliciously ironic. How about a family member, mother, father, a sibling?"

"I have no idea where my father is at present. My mother is still in rehab somewhere in Florida. And my sister is traveling across Europe with her latest boyfriend."

"So, are you telling me that you have no other friends?"

"I don't really have many close friends."

Griffin raised his brow as Lois shrugged. "I've got it," he said. "How about your friend, Inspector Henderson?"

"What?"

"Yes, I think that he will be the perfect replacement."

"Are you crazy? He's a police inspector; there's no way he's going to participate in something like that."

"Well then, I guess you have your work cut out for you don't you, Lois. I have made my decision. You'll have to convince Inspector Henderson to be the third member of your execution squad." Griffin stood up and stared down at Lois. "Don't think I don't know that with the public revelation of Superman as a hostage that you hope to get the police involved with finding him. But I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you. Even with the entire Metropolis Police force, there isn't enough time for them to find where I've got him hidden." Griffin grinned at her. "Besides, we can just continue to move him if we need to. Now, if you'll excuse me. I don't want to be late for lunch. I think we're having meatloaf." He cackled as he left the room.

Griffin never turned around to look at Lois as he left. If he had he might have seen the slightest of smiles touch her lips. Things were looking up a little. She'd managed to get Griffin to allow her to reveal Superman's role in this farce, and she had managed to get Bill Henderson placed where they could work together and not arouse any suspicion.

Yes, things were looking up, but she still had a long way to go before she was out of this mess, and Superman was freed. She had a plan, but it was shaky at best.

It hadn't taken Lois long to set up the press conference. Her recent adventures in Centennial Park having been broadcast live on LNN the past two days had made Lois a media darling. She was news. Everyone had heard Griffin's last pronouncement and they were all anxious to hear what the doomed Lois Lane had to say. She chose the lobby of the Daily Planet for her conference. If she was about to drop a bombshell it was only fair that the Planet had a head start on the news.

She came out of Perry's office, her friend and mentor followed behind. "Lois, that's the craziest story I've ever heard, but I can see why you've done what you have the last couple of days. Still, you can't be seriously contemplating standing in front of a firing squad just because Griffin says he'll release Superman if you do. You can't trust the man."

Lois put her arm around her boss and leaned against him as they walked. "Well, I'm hoping that Henderson and his men will find Superman before the time comes, but if he doesn't I don't have a lot of choices."

"What are you saying, Lois?"

She stopped and turned to face her dear friend. "I'm saying that I have a few ideas yet, but if it comes down to it, I expect you and Jimmy to do what has to be done."

"Lois, I...."

"Perry, Superman saved the city, heck he saved the entire planet when the Nightfall
Asteroid came. How many other people are alive today because Superman has been around to save them?"

Perry shook his head vehemently. "Now, Lois, you can't go there. You can't measure your worth against Superman."

"Why can't I? Believe me, I have a very high opinion of myself and the good that I do as an investigative reporter. I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish in the few years I've worked here. But do the math, Chief, it's not exactly close."

"Now, honey, this isn't a contest. You can't expect me or Jimmy to choose between you and Superman."

"I don't. I'm the one who will make the choice. You and Jimmy just be where you are supposed to be at the time you're supposed to be there. I'll tell you what to do." Perry opened his mouth to argue, but Lois just used her finger tip to his lips to stop him. "No arguments. You may be my boss, but this is my story, my life, and I'll call the shots."

Lois squared her shoulders, and quickly tried to pat her short locks into some sort of order. "Now, I've got a press conference to hold."

By the time the elevator deposited her onto the first floor lobby, the place was already a scene of chaos. Cameras clicked and reporters jostled for position as she approached the temporary dais. Lois held up her hands until the general clamor died down. A microphone with a small public address system had been set up, but a sea of hand held microphones waved in the air in front of her. Video cameras were positioned on shoulders, and lights were focused on her. It was time.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please, I have a few things to say, then I'll entertain a few questions." Lois took a deep breath. "As you all know the criminal known as the Prankster, Kyle Griffin, has had me jumping through his hoops that last two days, and now he has commanded that I arrange my own execution. Why is he doing this? That answer is simple, revenge. Griffin hates me. I've been responsible for his incarceration three times in the last few years. He would go to nearly any lengths to get his vengeance against me."

She paused and looked out over the crowd of reporters. "But, why have I been going along with his so-called assignments? The answer to that is also simple. I just haven't been able to tell anyone until now."

There was no sound. Everyone was waiting for her to reveal the reason. The tension throughout the lobby was thick. "The unfortunate truth is... The Prankster has managed to capture Superman and is holding him as a hostage. Griffin has told me that if I should fail to complete any of the three assignments that he has thought up for me he would kill Superman."

The cacophony of sound that had erupted was like an explosion. Questions were flying fast and furious. Lois could just pick out some of the most obvious. 'How could Superman be captured'? 'Isn't Superman invulnerable'? She held her hands up to try and silence the crowd. It took several minutes for the shouting to die down, but eventually she was able to be heard again.

"I know what you're all thinking. How could The Prankster capture and hold Superman?" She stopped and took a breath. "I don't know the means, but Superman was somehow tricked and Griffin has found a way to keep Superman captive and in a weakened state."

Lois knew that kryptonite was more commonly known than it was a little more than a year ago, when she was first made aware of its power over the Man of Steel. But that didn't mean that she was going to publicly acknowledge its existence. Best to keep things vague and keep those who didn't know in the dark. Just revealing that there was something out there that could weaken Superman made her uncomfortable enough. She just didn't have any choice if she was to get her point across and be able to use the public to sway the city's officials to let her do what she had to.

"I know this to be true because I have seen him. Griffin had me kidnapped two days ago and brought to where Superman was being held prisoner so I'd know his threat was serious. And, no, I don't know where Superman is being held because I was blindfolded during the trip, and was told that they would be moving him right after I was returned."

She stared out at the crowd of reporters who were all ready to burst if they couldn't ask their questions. She smiled inwardly at their eagerness. If she wasn't so intimately involved with the situation she would probably be just as eager as they were. This was a big story.

"I will now take a few of your questions."

Lois spent the next half an hour answering a barrage of questions fired at her from the crowd of reporters while the television cameras sent the proceedings back to the studios for instant editorializing. Most of the questions covered the same ground that Lois had already mentioned they just wanted more details. Details which Lois was careful not to give them. She wanted the public to know what was happening, not how it had happened. Superman's life was tough enough as it was, she didn't want to be responsible for making it any worse. Of course, she knew that if Griffin got his way, Clark was going to have it much worse. She didn't want to die, nor did she want to hurt Clark, but if there was no other choice, she would do what had to be done. She would trade herself for Superman.

Lois was back sitting at her desk looking over her data regarding her guesses as to where Superman might be being held when her phone rang. She picked it up. It was Henderson.

"Hey, Inspector, so I guess you saw my little press conference?"

"It would have been nice to have gotten a little advance notice of it."

"I couldn't afford the time. As soon as I got Griffin to agreed to let me tell everyone that he had Superman I had to act quickly to get the information out there."

"It still doesn't change anything, Lane, what Griffin wants you to do is still illegal."

"Have you seen the latest phone in polls that LNN is touting? Ninety-eight per cent of the good citizens of Metropolis are for allowing the execution to take place tomorrow."

"I suppose you think you're pretty clever going public like that so you can bully the mayor and the city council into letting you stage this farce."

"Believe me, Bill, I'm even less enthusiastic about having this last 'assignment' come to pass than you are, but I have to keep Griffin thinking that I'm following his demands while you and I pursue ways to make sure it doesn't happen. Have your men had any luck locating where Superman is being held?"

"No, I've been able to have six more addresses checked out but if Griffin did move Superman, we might be looking in entirely the wrong places. How certain are you of your data?"

Lois sighed. "Not all that certain. It was the only lead I had to work with. My estimation of time and distance could be off, and that would change the size of our search area. And, as you say, Griffin could have had Superman moved to someplace completely different and then we have no leads as to where he might have been taken."

"Well, now that you've gone public I can commit more manpower to the search without having to worry about someone wondering what I'm doing. I'm going to have our people expand the search radius another five miles, and add empty warehouses, and other abandoned buildings whose location would allow Griffin's men to operate without suspicion."

"That's going to add a lot of locations to check out. Are you going to be able to check them all out before tomorrow evening?"

There were several moments of silence before Henderson answered. "No, we're going to have to hope for a lucky break. Especially now that Griffin's men will know that we're looking for them. Frankly, even if we do get lucky, I'm not sure we can plan and execute a rescue operation that doesn't endanger Superman's life in time to stop your appointment with that firing squad."

Lois frowned into the phone. The news Henderson had wasn't good, but it was pretty much what she had expected. It wasn't like anything had exactly gone her way yet. Why should the search be any different? "Well, as to that, I'm meeting with the mayor in about an hour, then I want to meet with you later this evening to discuss some other options."

"Won't Griffin be suspicious of any meeting we might have?"

"No, he'll just think that I'm trying to persuade you to be a part of my firing squad."

"What?"

Lois had to let go a small chuckle at the normally unflappable Inspector's surprise. "It's a long story. I'll fill you in later."

"Well...., okay. We can meet at the station tonight after you've met with the mayor."

"Great, I'll be there as soon as I can... oh, and Bill..."

"Yes?"

"Thanks."

It was a very tired Lois who stumbled into her apartment late that evening. She tossed her bag and her jacket on the kitchen table and went to the refrigerator. After a fruitless search for food, she settled for a can of cream soda. She took her bounty and collapsed onto her couch. Not for the first time she wished she were at Clark's place trying to relax. What ever possessed her to purchase this couch?

She grabbed the remote and clicked on LNN. They were still running the excerpts from the mayor's press conference from earlier in the evening. Lois turned up the sound.

"... and so in the interest of the greater good for the citizens of Metropolis, and because Ms. Lane convinced me of her willingness to make this great sacrifice for us, I have met with the city council, and the Chief of Police, and we have agreed to allow the event demanded by The Prankster to take place."

Lois turned the sound back down. It had been a grueling session with the mayor. If someone would have been watching the conversation they would have been completely confused. The mayor had been adamantly arguing to save Lois' life while she was just as adamantly arguing to allow her execution to take place. It had been crazy. Ultimately, it was the public opinion being touted in poll after poll which had turned the tide. The citizens made it clear that, while they sympathized with Lois, they were quite okay with her trading her life for that of Superman's. When the electorate speaks, the elected listen. At least, if they want to be elected again.

After leaving the mayor Lois had met with Henderson. They had discussed the likelihood of the police finding Superman before six p.m. tomorrow and what they would do if they didn't. They had talked and schemed late into the night, but for the first time since Griffin had made his final pronouncement, she felt like she had a decent shot of getting out of this mess alive. Well, maybe decent was a bit too optimistic, but she did have a shot.

She was grateful to Henderson for agreeing to replace Clark in the make up of her firing squad. She frowned. How stupid a thought was that? Still, having him there was going to be a comfort. Especially since Clark was not going to be able to be there. She'd fed Henderson the same story she had told to Griffin about Clark being stranded in Smallville by an illness. She wasn't sure whether he'd believed her or not, he just nodded and said he'd be there to follow through with what they needed to do.

Lois sighed, and got up from the couch. She left the can of soda on the end table. She was beat, but she couldn't allow herself to sleep too late. She intended to join in the search for Superman until the last minute. She would be in Centennial Park at six p.m. as directed if she had to, but she could still hope that it wouldn't be necessary.

As she headed toward her bedroom she noticed the light on her answering machine was on. She reached over and pushed the button. A familiar voice greeted her.

"Lois, its Martha. I just wanted to let you know that we got a call late this afternoon by someone who wanted to talk to Clark. It was just as you said it would be. I told him that Clark was asleep, but if he'd leave his name and number we'd have Clark call him back once he woke up. He hung up. Lois I know you know what you're doing, but I have to say once again, don't let this Prankster fellow..." The tape had run out. Lois erased the message.

Lois' original plan had been to spend the morning and much of the afternoon checking out addresses and trying to find where Griffin had Superman stashed. But from the minute she left her apartment she was besieged by reporters and other media folks. Everyone wanted the 'big quote'. What was she going to do? Was she really going to let her friends shoot her? And what about those friends, were they actually going to pull the trigger on her just on the hope that it would free Superman?

Since it would be hopeless for her to try and do anything toward finding Clark, she decided to head for the Daily Planet and let Henderson and his men continue the search. She hoped they would get lucky, but she wasn't too confident. More and more, she was beginning to believe that Griffin had indeed moved Superman to some other place.

Luckily once she reached the Planet she was able to shed her entourage. Security kept them out of the building, so she was able to make it up to the bullpen without any more interruptions.

She got off the elevator and made her way to her desk. Once there she didn't know what to do. It wasn't like she was actually working on a story. She was the story. She couldn't go out and look for Clark like she had intended, so she was stuck sitting at her desk... waiting. Lois Lane didn't do waiting very well.

Perry came out of his office and sidled up next to her. "How are you holding up, Darlin'?"

She looked up and gave him a sad smile. "As well as can be expected, I suppose."

"Is there any way I can talk you out of showing up at Centennial Park this evening?"

She shook her head. "No, and I need you to promise me that you and Jimmy will be there too."

Perry nodded. "I've talked to Jimmy. We'll be there, but I don't know if I can guarantee that either one of us will be able to pull the trigger when the time comes, Superman or not."

She reached out and gave his hand a squeeze. "Well, we can hope it doesn't come to that. But if it does, I need you to do what you have to do." She shook her head at his intended protest. "No, don't worry, you know me, Chief, I've got it covered. Everything will be okay. You've got to trust me."

He reached down and gave her shoulder a squeeze. "I do, honey, I do." He walked slowly back up to his office.

Lois felt bad that she didn't confide in Perry some of the things that she and Henderson had discussed the night before, but she didn't want to build any false hope. She also needed him to continue to act and react naturally to the situation in case Griffin still had her under observation. She frowned. Perry might be able to handle the information and still keep his emotions genuine, but Jimmy would never be able to. It hurt her to do so, but it would be better all around if Perry and Jimmy just continued on as they had been. Besides, it was not as if her back-up plan was all that great anyway. It might still come down to her and a firing squad.

Lois picked up the phone and dialed Henderson's number. Might as well see if there has been any news on that front. He had given her his direct number so she didn't have to fight through the switchboard.

"Henderson."

"Bill, this is Lois."

She heard the sigh on his end. "I told you I'd call you if we found anything."

"Well, have you?"

"Did I call?"

"No."

"Then that means we haven't come across anything."

"Don't be a butthead."

Lois could swear she heard a slight chuckle. "Do you realize that you just called a police inspector a butthead? That's a misdemeanor."

"You're kidding."

"Well, actually, I am. But I am glad you called. Have you had a chance to try on the special equipment we were able to procure for you?"

"No, I figured I'd do that this afternoon before heading out to Centennial Park."

"Well, I wouldn't wait too long. You want to make sure the rig is set up correctly."

Lois chewed on her lip. "Yeah, I know, but it's pretty simple, and I'm sure that I'll be able to rig it properly."

Henderson hesitated for a couple of beats. "Do, White and Olsen know what you have planned?"

"No, I couldn't risk the information getting back to Griffin. I'm sure that he has someone watching me everywhere. If it looked like Jimmy and Perry were too comfortable with this, it would make him suspicious."

"Are you sure that they'll fire their rifles if it comes to that?"

"No, I'm not, but I know I can count on you, and that should be enough."

"Okay."

Lois felt foolish, but she suddenly needed to ask the question. "Ah, Bill, you are a good shot... aren't you?"

This time she knew she heard a chuckle. "I can hit what I aim at."

"Good." Lois was nodding. "Good."

"Good bye, Lois. I'll call if we find out anything."

"Okay, thanks Bill."

After hanging up, Lois stared at the phone for a few more minutes. Finally, with an exasperated sigh, she set the phone to forward any calls to her cell, and got up to leave.
Perry stuck his head out the office as she passed by.

"Heading home, Lois?"

"Yeah, Chief, I can't do anything here. I'm just going to go home and get myself ready, if you know what I mean."

He nodded, gravely. "I'm afraid I do."

"I'll see you at six, Chief."

"Well, let's hope it's to celebrate Superman's release, and not your execution."

"Amen to that, Chief."