Title: Honeymoon in... Vegas
Author: Sue S. (sistersuze@gmail.com)
Rating: PG13

This takes place after "The Phoenix" but before "Top Copy". I just love that time frame in the series - when they're both feeling the attraction but the revelation hasn't happened yet. There are so many possibilities that it makes me giddy.

This story is actually two stories that got combined into one because I so liked the idea of weaving the two elements together. One is a story challenge from DJ and the other is a suggestion from my mom's best friend. (Never tell anyone you're writing fanfic unless you want the whole neighborhood to know.) Since this started out as two stories, DJ has graciously agreed to let me count it as two in my penance. So that's three down and two to go. At the end of the story I'll tell what the ideas were and who came up with what. If this doesn't work, it's not DJ or Brenda's fault.

For those familiar with the area, please note that this story is taking place in 1995, not the present day. Las Vegas and the surrounding area have changed *a lot* since then. I reference an actual hotel in this story, but I meant no copyright infringement. Then again, I'm blatantly writing about characters that don't belong to me. Rest assured that I meant no copyright infringement there either. I just wanted to take them for a little spin and show them a good time. Whether they actually have a good time is debatable.

Many thanks, as always, to my better half, DJ. If it were legal, I'd marry her. wink

<><><>
Friday afternoon
<><><>

"Married?" Martha repeated incredulously. "They're married?"

"That's what the admit forms say." The clerk looked again at the paperwork in front of her. "You're the next of kin listed for both of them."

Martha came back to herself and realized she was focusing on the wrong detail. "And they're in the hospital? What happened?"

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but I don't have all the details. Is there someone else, someone in this area, maybe, that I should be calling?"

"No, no, I'm sorry. Tell them we're on our way. You can tell them that, can't you?" Suddenly Martha realized just how dire the situation might be. "Is that why you're calling? Because they can't?"

"Um, well..." The clerk hesitated and then her tone softened somewhat. "I'm sorry, I really don't know. I was just asked to contact someone, a family member or a legal representative, and ask them to come here to make decisions regarding their care."

<><><>
The previous Monday
<><><>

"He's got a suitcase, Lois. He's leaving Metropolis. What are you going to do? Follow him onto the plane?"

"If I have to," Lois snapped back at him. "You know we're right, Clark! That man is slime. He's worse than slime. And we had him, dead to rights. Perry was insane to make us rewrite the story."

Clark sighed and followed Lois as she doggedly continued to trail Mickey Raddatz through the airport terminal. It wasn't too hard to accomplish. Mickey was a large man wearing a neon green, orange and blue Hawaiian shirt.

"Lois, Perry was right. That story straddled the very fine line that exists between libel and reporting. Until Mickey does something that we can prove, we can't print speculation."

"Then we'll just follow him until we see him do something," Lois said in exasperation. "Bobby said something big was going down and I believe him."

They followed Mickey through Security and then to gate C3. Mickey chatted briefly with the ticket agent and then went into the nearby first class lounge, pocketing his newly acquired ticket on the way.

Lois stepped up to the gate's desk and glanced up at the marquee behind the agent. It read 'Flight 563, Las Vegas, 3:05 p.m.'

"I need to get on this flight," she told the agent behind the podium. Lois leaned heavily against the ticket counter as if she meant to try and get a look at the woman's computer screen.

"Do you have a reservation?" the agent asked as she adjusted her screen slightly away from Lois.

"I, uh, no," Lois admitted. "But didn't the man in front of me just get a ticket for this flight?"

"He had a reservation," the agent told her with what Lois felt was a trace of mockery.

"He was flying to Las Vegas?" Lois clarified.

The woman ignored her and gave Clark a tight smile. "How many are flying?" she asked him.

"Two," Clark answered with a smile. He'd been on the receiving end of far too many of Lois' irritated tirades not to feel some empathy for the ticket agent. She was only doing her job.

"Well..." The woman tapped on her keyboard for nearly a minute before looking up at them again. "I can get you both on the flight but you won't be sitting by each other. Is this round-trip?"

"Yes," Lois said. "Just give us an open-ended return. How much will that be?"

"Fifteen hundred," the agent answered.

"Dollars?" Lois was aghast. "Fifteen hundred dollars? Are you serious?"

"That's to be expected when you purchase a last minute fare," the woman said matter-of-factly.

Lois grumbled under her breath as she pulled out her wallet and contemplated the credit cards inside. Not that card. Or that one.

"Here, use this." Clark handed the agent his credit card and inwardly sighed at the injustice of having to waste fifteen hundred dollars and five hours to do something he could have accomplished in a minute's time for absolutely nothing. His only other alternative was to tell Lois his secret but she was already in a foul mood and he doubted she'd take the news well. He did allow himself one small dig at her expense. "You'd better pray that I get reimbursed for this trip or you're going to owe me seven-fifty."

Their flight was called but Mickey didn't board with the other first class passengers. Lois stood up and began to pace in the small space between the windows and Clark's chair. Clark glanced over the top of his glasses and into the first class lounge. Mickey was reading a paper and appeared in no great hurry to leave.

"Why Las Vegas?" Lois mused out loud. "Isn't that where Big Joe went after the gangland showdown last year? Do you think Mickey's going to meet with him? Maybe those rumors about them working together were true after all."

Clark shrugged. "Or maybe the rumors about Mickey being a gambling addict are true."

Lois stared out the window at the plane they were about to board. "Do you think Big Joe is going to try and come back to Metropolis?"

"If I were going to stage a coup, Mickey Raddatz is the last felon I'd ask to help." Clark shrugged. "Maybe Mickey is only the go-between for someone else?"

Lois nervously cracked her knuckles. "Why isn't he boarding the plane? Do you think he knows that we're following him?"

"Maybe he's one of those people who boards at the last possible moment?" Clark suggested.

Lois frowned at him and turned to pace another circuit.

"Here's what we do," Clark said. "We board the plane and watch to see if Mickey does too. If he doesn't, we'll get off the plane. They're calling your section now, just go. I'll get on and watch for him since I'm closer to the front."

"Why do you get to sit closest to the front?" she asked peevishly.

"I need a window seat," he answered. "I get airsick if I can't see outside."

Her face split in a sudden grin. "You hate to fly," she said with a touch of gleeful spite. "Don't you?"

"I hate flying in planes," Clark muttered.

"I know," Lois said with a sigh. "I'd rather fly with Superman." She gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "Fine, you can have the window seat. Just stand up and wave at me if we need to get off the plane or give me a thumb's up if Mickey gets on."

Ten minutes later Clark stood up and searched for seat 37C. He caught Lois' eye and gave her a thumb's up.

<><><>

When they landed Clark was able to get off the plane long before Lois. He followed Mickey, hoping that Lois would understand and not berate him too much when she finally caught up to him. Mickey stopped at one of the bookstores and was perusing the best sellers when Lois came barreling past Clark. He caught her arm and pulled her into the coffee shop that he was using as a vantage point.

"He's in there." Clark nodded in Mickey's direction. Then he tilted his head with interest. Mickey was muttering something under his breath to the man standing next to him. Clark tried to listen in but was unable to hear anything distinct between the crowds of travelers rushing past and Lois' eager questions about what Mickey had done so far. "I don't know," he said to Lois, completely distracted and not quite certain if his answer even fit her question.

Mickey began to walk again and they slipped into the stream of people behind him. Mickey skipped the baggage carousel and went directly outside to the taxi stand. Clark overheard him say "the Palace" as he got into a cab.

<><><>

They were standing in the lobby of the Palace, turning in small circles as they watched for Mickey in the people milling around inside. The front desk clerk had offered to leave a message for Mr. Raddatz but would not give them his room number.

"Maybe we should sit here and wait for him come back through?" Clark suggested.

"Do you know how many exits there are in this place?" Lois snapped back at him.

Just then Clark spotted Mickey. Unfortunately it was obvious that Mickey had just seen them as well.

"Uh oh," he muttered under his breath to Lois. "He sees us."

Lois turned around to see Mickey walking towards them with a deceptively affable smile on his face. He said something to the four burly men in equally garish tropical shirts trailing him and they held back as he approached them.

"Lane and Kent? Is that you?"

Out of ideas and feeling like a deer in headlights, Clark nodded and pretended to be surprised. "Mickey Raddatz. Imagine the luck, running into you here."

"It's a small world, ain't it? What are you two doin' in Vegas?"

Lois bit back the impulse to say 'following you, you idiot' and blurted out the first thing that popped into her head. "Uh, we're eloping."

Mickey's thick features widened into huge grin. "Love, ah, love." He put his hands over his heart and feigned a sigh. "That's beautiful. When are you gettin' hitched?"

"We just got here," Clark said as he awkwardly put his arm around Lois's shoulders. "We were going to get a room first."

Mickey's eyes took on a lascivious gleam. "You musta come out on the same flight as me. Only I don't see no luggage. Did ya leave Metropolis in one hot hurry, kids?"

"Uh..." Lois said. Why hadn't she told him something else? She could have told him that they were here to do a story on compulsive gambling or something - anything - else.

Mickey let out a leering chuckle. "Could hardly wait to get your hands on her, huh?" He elbowed Clark knowingly and Clark blushed.

"No, that wasn't it," Clark protested.

"Sure," Mickey said congenially and winked at him. "I understand. It's a good thing we bumped into each other. They got four conventions in town this week and you're never gonna get a decent room without some string-pulling. Which, by the by, I am happy to do for ya. I know you two covered a few, uh, indiscretions for me last week. I couldn't believe it when that little run-in we had didn't make the papers. I owe you big time."

"Oh, no..." Lois started to say but Mickey waved away her objections.

"I won't take no for an answer. I insist. I know the perfect wedding chapel. Got married there myself once or twice. No, maybe it was three times. Anyway, the minister is a friend of mine. He'll take good care of you. You gotta wedding license yet?"

"Oh no, really..." Clark tried but Mickey had insinuated himself between them and was propelling them towards the door.

"We'll get you two hitched, have a celebratory dinner and then I'll leave you two love birds on your own."

"No, really, Mickey, it's very nice of you to offer, but it's not necessary," Lois tried again.

"Ain't you never heard about offers you can't refuse?" Mickey huffed as he opened the back door of a waiting taxi. "I'm gonna be insulted if you tell me no, kids. You're here to get married, I'm here to help. Now get in the car." There was the faintest trace of impatience in his voice and they both realized that he wasn't entirely buying their story about eloping.

Lois looked up at Clark and he shrugged. "It's your call, honey."

Her eyes darkened at that term of endearment. Lois glanced at Mickey and then over at the bodyguards who had trailed him outside and were waiting to get in the next cab.

"Come on then, Clark," she said and tried to appear enthusiastic. "Let's get married."

<><><>

Mickey apparently knew everyone in Las Vegas. They stopped at the Bureau of Marriage Licenses on the way to the wedding chapel and he had them in and out in twenty minutes with their license in hand. Lois had been desperately trying to think of a graceful way to back out but no other options presented themselves. It didn't help that each of Mickey's friends obviously had a poorly concealed weapon beneath their brightly colored tropical shirts.

"Mr. Raddatz! How delightful to see you again!" A tall, thin man was crossing the lobby of the wedding chapel with his hands extended to greet them. He had two little puffs of white hair just behind his ears and the rest of his scalp was bright pink. "And this must be your charming bride!" He took Lois' hands in his, they were startlingly cold and she flinched at his touch.

"Nah, Reverend Bob, not mine." Mickey slapped Clark on the back. "This is the lucky man. They're friends of mine and I'm just here to share their joy."

"Wonderful! What kind of a ceremony did you two want? Religious? Civil?"

"Just the usual," Lois told him. "Nothing special." Sunscreen, she thought as she looked at the top of Bob's sunburned head. How did someone live in Las Vegas and not know about sunscreen?

"Nothing special? My dear, we have nothing but special memories in this place." Reverend Bob waved away her words. "Have you written your own vows?"

"No." Lois wasn't sure if it was nerves or irritation, but she had the feeling her skin was about to crawl away on its own. "We'll just do the 'love, honor, cherish' bit, okay?"

"Obey," Mickey corrected her. "It's love, honor and obey."

"Then I guess I have written my vows because I'm not promising to 'obey' anyone," Lois shot back.

Reverend Bob laughed. "We'll go with something traditional, yet modern. Any thoughts on music?"

"No music." Lois gestured impatiently. "Can't we just get this over with?"

"Do you have rings?"

"No rings," Clark answered. "We only decided to get married this morning."

"I'll buy you the rings," Mickey said jovially. "My treat."

"No, thank you. It's not necessary," Lois replied. "Really. You've done far too much for us as it is."

Mickey spread his hands in a gesture of defeat. "Suit yourselves. No rings then."

Reverend Bob tapped a finger against his lips as he considered the couple before him. "Well, it would appear this is going to be an intimate affair. We'll just use the little chapel." He took Lois' arm, startling her yet again with his cold hands, and guided her in the direction of the chapel. Clark, Mickey and the thugs followed dutifully behind.

Reverend Bob shuffled and nudged Clark and Lois so that they were facing each other and then he went to stand before them. Mickey and his friends settled themselves on the folding chairs of the front row.

"Please join hands," Reverend Bob prompted.

Clark took Lois' hands in his. His body seemed to be moving slower and entirely independent of his control. Her hands trembled a little in his as she tilted her head back to look up at him. Their eyes met and he squeezed her fingers in reassurance.

Nervous - why the hell was she feeling nervous? Lois grinned at the sheer absurdity of the moment and felt immeasurably better when Clark grinned back at her.

'Hi,' she mouthed at him, feeling a blush rising in her cheeks when his lips moved to return the greeting. She rolled her eyes, embarrassed that she actually felt apprehensive about this. It wasn't like she was really marrying him. They could probably have this annulled before they even left Vegas. Even so, part of her wished she had taken the time to check her makeup. After the long airplane flight she could have used some freshening up. She'd had no idea when she picked out this suit this morning that she was going to get married in it. No, not really married, but still... she would have gone with a lighter color or something. She had that one cream-colored suit - or even a dress - instead of this serviceable and boring brown ensemble.

Her mind was jerked back to the present when she realized that Reverend Bob was starting.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate the marriage of..." Reverend Bob looked down at the index card he was holding. "Clark and Lois. Clark, will you repeat after me?"

Clark repeated the words slowly, as Lois gazed up at him, looking just as bemused as he felt. "I, Clark, take you, Lois, for my lawful wife."

Wife. The word echoed in Clark's mind as Reverend Bob smiled beatifically at him and recited the next words Clark was supposed to say. He was marrying Lois. When they were finished she would be his lawful wife. Suddenly it didn't matter to him that this was only temporary. Whether they were married or not, the promises he was about to make were sincere.

Clark savored the weight and meaning of each syllable as he spoke his vows to Lois. "To have and to hold from this day forward... forsaking all others... for better or for worse... for richer or for poorer... in sickness and in health... to love, honor and cherish until death parts us."

Lois blinked rapidly, feeling her knees weaken as she realized it was her turn. Clark had done it, she could too. She dazedly mimicked Bob's words, not entirely sure she was actually speaking. "I, Lois, take you, Clark, for my lawful husband."

She looked into Clark's eyes and felt the oddest sense of calm reassurance. They were in this together - there was something heartening about that fact. Usually when she did something stupid she was alone in her actions. This time she was only half at fault. She smiled as she spoke the next words, thinking of their almost-date and the way just being close to him could sometimes addle her mind. "To have and to hold from this day forward..."

Clark returned the smile, setting off an excited little flutter in the pit of her stomach. Having and holding him wasn't an unpleasant thought. "Forsaking all others..." She could hardly wait to get back to Metropolis and watch him explain to Mayson Drake that they were, albeit temporarily, married. "For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor and cherish until death parts us."

Lois was breathless as she finished speaking. Even if she wasn't actually making this promise, they were still the words. She had never thought she would ever say them to anyone without meaning them. She comforted herself that she could consider this just a dress rehearsal.

Reverend Bob beamed at them. "By the authority vested in me by the State of Nevada, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Mickey and his bodyguards were all clapping heartily as Clark tipped Lois' chin up to kiss her. Someone let out a whistle and he decided to make at least one thing about this ceremony authentic. He took her upper lip between his, tipping her head back so he could kiss her with feeling. He could taste the faint flavor of diet cola - she must have drunk one on the plane. He used the tip of his tongue to tease away the sweetness that had lingered on her lip.

He ended the kiss and she looked up him with wide, shocked eyes. For a moment he thought she was going to slap him. Instead she took in an unsteady breath and then let out a nervous giggle as her cheeks turned red. Giddy with the realization that, regardless of the circumstances, they were actually married, Clark leaned down to whisper the words he had secretly hoped he might someday say to her. "Hello, Mrs. Kent."

The burn on her cheeks became hotter and Lois turned away from him to accept the congratulations of Mickey and his goons.

<"...Mrs. Kent...">

It was a good thing that he had no idea just how thrilling that name sounded to her. Admit it, she told herself. You've got a crush on your husband.

<><><>

End 1/7

Oh, how you'll be sorry that you fed my FDK addiction on that last piece of fluff I posted. I've been working on this story off and on for weeks but I can't seem to make myself get past the first three parts which are completely finished and work on the last three parts which are merely a rough draft. I keep going back and tweaking instead. So I'm going to start posting because I've learned that (usually) lights a fire under my behind. So does feedback. The more you feed me, the more I write. It's a nice little symbiotic relationship, isn't it?

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis