Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C_A Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thank you for posting, Sue! Finally!

I loved all of it, of course, but I'll point out some of my favorite bits and pieces wink .

Lois flushed. "Too well. I'm starting to worry that maybe he knows me too well."
I really like how you took the break-up in Contact and spun it into a story about both Clark's and Lois' commitment and control issues.

I also really liked this:

Clark spread his hands wide in a gesture of frustration. "Then what, Lois? What do you want? Just tell me what you want from me and I'll do it! I can't read your mind!"

For a moment she simply stared at him. It was odd, she thought. Here was a dream come true; Superman was standing in front of her and offering to do whatever she wanted. They had shared so many dreams with each other over the course of this trip, but this was one she never would have voiced out loud. The truth was she didn't want him to feel like he had to acquiesce to her every whim.

Dave was right - it was the work required to build a relationship with Clark that she wanted. She wanted to carry her half of the canoe and be equal partners with him. If she was honest with herself she had to admit that from the very beginning she had secretly enjoyed the way Clark never backed down around her. Everyone else might tiptoe around her opinions but he had never wavered. They were both strong and reckless and cautious and control freaks - just never at the same time.
Really an excellent observation. We did get to see Clark being a lunkhead who obsessed too much quite often - I enjoyed how you gave us a glimpse into Lois' psyche, here. Because she could be quite stubborn and irrational, too. Her constantly picking fights with him illustrated this so well.

"Oh my gosh, carpet!" she exclaimed. "Look, Clark, there's carpet!"

"I had no idea carpet turned you on."

"It's not the carpet, it's civilization. I've missed civilization so much. I'm never going anywhere that doesn't have indoor plumbing ever again."

[...]

Lois pushed open the bathroom door and turned on the light. "A toilet," she exclaimed in the same breathless and worshipful tone that she once reserved for the phrase, 'Thanks, Superman.'
Lois' excitment in regards to the motel room was priceless. In "Ordinary People" we saw that she wasn't really much of an outdoorsy kind of girl, so this is just so funny and true.

Lois dropped the mail and walked to her bedroom door. Clark was sitting cross-legged in the middle of her bed wearing nothing but a clean, well-worn pair of jeans and a smile. He lifted a pint of chocolate ice cream in invitation and held a spoon out to her.

"So, tell me about this dream of yours..."
I really think that this scene does not just figure in Lois' dreams but in many a female FoLC's dreams as well. laugh Does it get any better than shirtless Clark in combination with chocolate ice cream? I think not!

Well done and thank you for posting this story. smile

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Columnist
Columnist
well I could just agree with everything of the above :p I was really looking forward to the last part!'! It was a really good story and I saved every ''chapter'' :p on my computer so I can re-read it as often as I want, and I'm really sure I'm gonna read this again!!

I loved how it started how Lois was wondering where Clark was...so sweet!
And then this
"Out," he commanded in a clipped tone.
The first thing I thought was well actually what Lois says is he leaving her there?? But what he did was soo much better and sweeter!!! And the end just awww.
So just to sum it all up: I LOVED this story soo much!!!!! Thank you for posting it!

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, I finally got to read this story on my day off today. And I was not disappointed. smile

I'm sorry that this is such a short feedback post, but really, I loved it all! I was worried at first that the relationship issues between L&C were going to be resolved too soon and too easily, but you drew it out nicely, lulling us into a false sense of security about them, and then bringing back the doubts that each had about the other! Brilliant! laugh

I loved the waffy/sexy ending too. Thank you. shock sloppy

Thanks for a wonderful story to read on my day off. And now, I better stop typing before I wake someone up. smile

By the way though, I'm always especially grateful to those authors - like you, Sue - who willingly edit their nfic stories for the gfic folder. I, and people like me, very much appreciate the gfic love (so to speak... wink ).

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sweet Sue! Do you know how happy I am that you were finally able to finish this baby and put her to bed?

This story was wonderful - all throughout - and the ending certainly didn't disappoint.

You never fail to amaze me with your ability to write awesome dialogue. You are the queen of banter.

I picture the car scene so clearly in my mind with Lois hanging her hand out the window (I'm guilty of that too - since I'll never fly with Superman it's probably the closest thing to experiencing the wind whipping around me goofy )

And then their argument - I could really feel Clark's frustration... but also Lois's fear. Good job. And my favorite was the conversation once he took her to the motel. Oh god, carpet, and tile! A bathtub!!! LOLS! Way too funny. And the whole time Clark is trying to seduce her with his words but she is so totally enthralled by civilization that it takes a much more abrupt approach to get her attention. Ha ha.

And the ending <waffy sigh> how could you not love the sigh of a bare-chested Clark (mmmm, wearing nothing but a pair of well-worn Jeans and a smile - I LOVE that line) sitting on your bed with chocolate icecream. <g>

I must repeatedly thank my betas on this story - DJ, alcyone and Julia for their patience and help over the course of the writing the story. Especially DJ, who knows that I scrapped the last part, completely rewrote it and then scrapped it again and went back to the original version. She patiently eased me along to get this finished.
You're so very welcome. I knew you would find your way eventually and I knew there was no since rushing you. Your fics are way to good to be rushed. <g>

Brava.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard