TOC

Part 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JOURNAL ENTRY #11
EARLY FEBRUARY, 1995
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February... February... Oh, I've got a little story for you. I mean, it's nothing big. Kind of a "day in the life" thing, but maybe it's worth putting a few bits like that in. I was sitting in the living room one day when Bobby suddenly activated his comlink. "If it ain't the two lovebirds," he said. Aymee, at the monitors, nearly jumped out of her chair. Quickly, she looked up Bobby's location and activated the camera nearest him. Luckily, we'd thought to put a few here and there on the properties Bobby owned. He was working in the kitchen of one of his restaurants, it seemed. Upon seeing Lois and Clark, he'd instantly put on his act, dropping his manners and "sampling" food left and right. It was a good thing he owned the place, and a better thing that the food he was "working on" would never be put in front of actual customers. Bobby had warned the staff in case of just such an occasion.

"Did you tell him?" Lois demanded of Clark, in response to Bobby's question. We'd known about their date of course, but they'd been trying to keep it quiet.

Bobby assured them that he'd gotten the information from Clark's ticket broker. "He's a barracuda in the business, but a romantic at heart." He paused to "sample" another dish, then started talking again before they could respond. "So, you two excited?"

"Bobby," Clark said, "we didn't come here to talk about —"

Bobby cut him off. "I want you to know how happy I am for you, and that there are a lot of people out there who are really pulling for this to work out."

"What's he thinking?" Dudley demanded, coming into the room. "He can't tell them about us!"

"He's stalling," I told him. "They surprised him, and Aymee is still going through the database."

"What people?" Lois asked suspiciously.

"Couldn't he have found a better way to stall?"

"Give him a break, Dudley," I said. "He had to think on his feet. You sure you could have come up with better on such short notice?"

"What?" Bobby asked, responding to Lois. "You think it's a big secret that Clark here has been mooning over you?"

"I wouldn't say 'mooning,' exactly," Clark said defensively.

"Yeah? What would you call it, Clark?" Aymee said, chuckling. Then she activated her side of the comlink. The rest of us quieted down, so as not to provide too much extra noise or distraction. Bobby had enough to do, and every excess sound was another thing Clark might pick up. "Okay, Bobby. I've gone through the database. Reviewing recent newsroom recordings, it looks like they need to know about someone by the name of Ramin Tarbush. He was part of some kidnapping plan. We don't have an address for him. Looks like he lives out on the streets. But he goes regularly to the Union Street shelter for dinner."

"I love being in love," Bobby was saying. "I mean, there's no feeling like it in the whole world." He paused to take a big bite off another plate. "Except, maybe, a really full stomach... And I love the fact that we are pushing Pigs in a Blanket." He was babbling a bit, but it was hard to blame him considering that he was talking while getting vital information through a hidden earpiece.

He relayed the information to Lois and Clark, then took a swig out of a newly-opened quart of milk. "What happened to my manners?" he asked when he noticed their stares. He wiped the mouth of the bottle with his hand and made to pass it over to them. "Anybody thirsty?" Lois and Clark were quick to leave after that, and Bobby was happy to restore order to the kitchen.

Comments

Part 12

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.