“Lois, please. Give this a chance. I guarantee you, there is no place like Smallville, and the Kents are such great people.”

“When do we leave?” Lois asked resignedly.

So, she would be seeing Clark Kent again. Lois was aware that she had some sort of feeling- a crush- on Clark Kent. Stupid, stupid Lois! He has blonde Lana, why would he look twice at you? He thinks you’re just some little kid, like, like Lucy!

Jonathan and Clark carried the girls’ belongings into the house from the car. Martha went ahead and started showing them around the house- the kitchen and living room- and up the stairs. “I put you both in the same room. I hope that’s okay. We have only three bedrooms.”

Lois had decided to be polite. “It’s fine Mrs. Kent. I really prefer to be with Lucy anyway.”

“Great! And, Lois, you and Lucy can call me Martha. We don’t stand on ceremony here in Smallville. We expect children to be respectful, but as long as you’re under the Kent roof, you’re family.”

Really, maybe it was something in the water, Lois thought. Or maybe these people had been taken over by aliens, or they were robots or something!

“I want to see outside! Ms. Taylor said you had chickens.”

“Well, Jonathan and Clark can show you around, Lucy. I think Jonathan said we had a new calf this morning. And Mrs. George, Chelsea, brought over one of their kittens yesterday. She thought you might enjoy playing with it while you were here.”

“Really, a kitten of my own?”

“He’ll have to stay here, of course, but while you’re staying with us, he can be yours.”

“Lois, my own kitten! Just like you said.”

Lois was very happy to see her sister so excited. She wished for a second that the situation was permanent and Lucy could stay with the Kents forever. Lucy deserved a home like this. She was so little and she just didn’t understand Mom at all.

“Lois, it’s almost lunchtime. Do you want to help me get lunch started, or go with Jonathan, Clark, and Lucy?”

While Lois was sure that she would be of no help in the kitchen she had decided that she should avoid being around Clark as much as possible. Every time she was around him she felt like her face was on fire. And he was so nice to Lucy. He was always nice to her, too, but he never looked at her the way she looked at him when he wasn’t watching.

“I really can’t cook, Mrs. Kent. But I’ll help set the table or something.”

“It’s Martha. Maybe I can show you some simple recipes while you are here.”

“Mac & Cheese is simple and I still burn that.”

Clark had come up behind them. “Don’t worry Lois. My mom will have you slaving in the kitchen in no time. She’s the best cook and a good teacher too. She taught me and I have to, I mean get to, cook dinner on Wednesdays. So look out for my special tatertot casserole coming your way in three days.”

“You make it sound like an upcoming movie.” Lois giggled. Why was she giggling? Stupid!

“It would be a comedy if it was a movie, Lois.” Jonathan interrupted. “Who’s going to come help me check the stock before lunch?”

“Me! Me! Martha said you would show me the kitten.”

“I sure will. Pesky fellow probably would like a snack. Why don’t you ask Martha to give you some leftover turkey?”

Lucy collected the turkey just before Clark swung her up to sit on his shoulders, and she squealed in delight.

“Mom showed me the schoolwork you’re supposed to get done this summer, Lois. Remember, Lana and I will help you with anything you need. She’ll be here Monday night for dinner. Her parents aren’t going to be home that evening, so I suggested that she come here instead of staying home by herself. I think you’ll like each other.”

“I just noticed you’re wearing glasses,” Lois said to Clark.

“Yeah. Actually, I’ve had them for a while, I just forgot them at home when we went to Kansas City. Lana wants me to get contacts, but I just can’t stand the thought of putting stuff in my eyes.” Clark gave an exaggerated shiver.

“Well, I like them. They make you look. . . scholarly.”

Clark groaned, “That bad, huh.”

“I think they really fit your personality. And if you don’t like them, I read about a surgery in one of my dad’s medical journals that can correct your vision. It’s done with lasers.”

“I don’t want lasers any where near my eyes!”

“Come on, Clark,” urged Lucy. “I want to see the kitten.”

Lana was blonde and beautiful, just like Lois knew she would be. Clark’s eyes had a special gleam in them when he looked at Lana, which was almost constantly. Lana was telling the Kents about her activities with the Smallville High cheerleading squad. She was very proud of the fact that she had only been on varsity team for a year yet she was one of the best on the squad. After dinner, Clark and Lana had gone out on the porch. Martha, Lois and Lucy were working on folding the laundry. The laundry load had certainly increased since the household had expanded by two people. Jonathan had gone out to the barn to tinker with his tractors.

“Lois, why don’t you go ask Clark and Lana if they want some ice cream? I’m hungry for some and we can get out the ice cream maker and I’ll show you how to make homemade ice cream.”

“That sounds like fun! I’ll go see.”

Lois could see Clark and Lana through the screen door. Before she reached to open it, Lois saw Clark giving Lana a quick kiss on the lips. Lana made some sort of protest, but Lois thought that she actually looked pleased.

Lois pushed the screen open and Clark jumped. Lois couldn’t meet Clark’s eyes and she didn’t want to look at Lana’s perfect face either, so she looked over their heads when she said, “Martha is going to make ice cream and wanted to know if you guys want some.”

“Sure!” said Clark jumping up. “I’ll help.”

At first Lois had determined that she wasn’t going to ask Clark and Lana for help with anything, but there was some stuff, especially in math, that she needed help with. She decided that she could put up with Lana. She did want to get caught up in school so she would be able to graduate on time. No one would let her adopt Lucy if she was still in high school, even if she would be 18 by the time she graduated.

Life settled into a routine. The Kents really didn’t ask too much of Lois and Lucy, though they expected them to pitch in if they saw something that needed to be done. Lois was trying to learn to cook, and she only set the kitchen on fire once when she left a hand towel too close to the stove. She apologized profusely, but Martha assured her that everyone had done that. Well, judging by the faces made (and Lucy’s overly honest comments) Lois knew that her culinary skills needed more work, but she could make a good tuna salad sandwich and if Martha and Clark were helping Jonathan, it was something that she could make and bring to them.

Lois had finally decided, after being in Smallville, that the residents weren’t Stepford wives. For some reason, the people just accepted and stood by each other, as if untouched by the greed of Metropolis. Some would think that they stayed in Smallville because they didn’t know any better, but Lois was amazed by how many had moved away as college students, but returned to Smallville to raise their families. Lois missed the noise and busyness of Metropolis, but she admitted to herself that Smallville had charms of its own, and you just couldn’t see stars like this in Metropolis. Clark had shaken her awake one night, bundling Lucy in a quilt and hurrying them outside to stand with his parents as they watched a meteor shower. The blue-green and yellow streaks against the black sky were breathtaking. No, you didn’t see things like that in Metropolis. But despite herself, she missed her mother. Even though Ellen wasn’t a bit like Martha, Ellen loved her children in her own way, and Lois knew that.

Alisha came in early August to let the girls know that Ellen was home from the treatment center and anxious to be reunited with her children. Lois knew this time was coming and had steeled herself to accept it, but she still felt a sense of loss. Lucy wanted to know why she had to go home if she wanted to stay there. Alisha explained that Ellen loved the girls and really wanted them with her. “Your mom is feeling much, much better, Lucy. Things will be different now.”

They stayed another few days, but wanted to be back to Metropolis to start school. Clark gave Lucy a stuffed cat that resembled the growing kitten. “You can take this one home with you,” he told Lucy. Lois’ heart beat with anticipation as she opened his gift to her. Oh, my! It was a hand tooled leather-bound journal. Clark blushed at his parents’ compliments on the craftsmanship. “I knew Lois liked to write and I thought that this would be the perfect place for her to keep her thoughts.”

Lois’ throat ached with tears as Martha held her tight and said, “Lois, if you ever need anything, even just someone to talk to, please call me. We love you so much and we are going to miss you around here. I’ve never had a daughter, but if I did I would want her to be just like you.”

Lois choked on a laugh, “Me? I’m nothing special. Just Lois.”

“Lois, you care about things. You love your sister and you are fiercely loyal to her. You are very strong emotionally, and you care about the people around you, even if you try not to show it. You are a good person and don’t let anyone tell you different.”

Jonathan hugged them both. “You guys are honorary Kents now, you know. Don’t forget to call or write.”

“You’ve got my e-mail,” put in Clark.

The trip back to Metropolis was as silent as the trip to Smallville had been, but instead of the angry, sullen silence, this one was calm. Alisha knew in her heart that Smallville had been the right choice for Lois and Lucy. The reunion with Ellen was tearful and Ellen promised over and over that she was going to be a better mother. Alisha believed that she was sincere in her promises and hoped that Ellen Lane would be able to keep them.

Lois did stay in touch with the Kents. She called Martha for cooking advice on occasion, but Ellen was doing wonderfully and when Lois cooked it was because she asked if she could so that she wouldn’t forget everything that Martha had taught her. Ellen was very surprised at how good those dinners tasted. When Lois started high school she e-mailed Clark about her teachers and the activities she was involved in. She even joined the cheerleading squad until she twisted her ankle. The time off the squad helped her to realize that she had only joined because Lana was a cheerleader, not because she really enjoyed the activity. She did enjoy the debate team, and Clark gave her some good thoughts to expound on. Clark was keeping busy with football and helping out on the farm.

Then came the e-mail that Lana had broken up with him. Clark did not say why, but Lois could tell that it was hurting him. Though Lois could never understand what Clark saw in Lana, she still hurt for her friend. Clark wrote that he had decided to ask Rachel Harris to go to the prom with him instead. He already had the limousine and tux reserved and he knew that Rachel wasn’t going with anyone. Lois couldn’t remember ever meeting Rachel, but Clark seemed to think that Rachel would be open to going as “just friends”. Lana is the world’s biggest fool, thought Lois. Clark was excited about starting his senior year. He was already taking some college classes through Kansas State where he hoped to go to college. He hadn’t decided on a major, but he still liked English, so was leaning toward something in that area, teaching and/or writing. <Of course, I still plan to travel after college>, he wrote.

Clark stayed very busy in his senior year. Lana had apologized for breaking his heart and begged Clark to take her back. Clark decided to date her again, but Lois wondered if Lana only wanted him back because he was now first string quarterback as the former quarterback had graduated a year earlier. As head cheerleader, it was important to Lana to be seen with the right people and she was determined that Clark was the “right people.”

Lois had been to a few school outings on “sort of” dates. She was 16, and willowy with big brown eyes and she certainly could turn boy’s heads. But as she no longer felt the pressure to adopt her younger sister, she spent a lot of time studying, determined to get good grades and a scholarship to Metropolis University. Clark’s parting gift to her was filled with her ideas and hopes of what could be. She was so proud of her mother, and Lucy was a very happy second-grader. Lois almost felt like she could relax from worrying.

Alisha checked on them periodically. As Lois had once told Clark, it was her job, but Lois could see now that she and Lucy were more than just a job to Alisha. Alisha even confided that she had met someone, maybe the son-in-law that her dad had been wanting. Lois was very happy for her. From the picture Alisha showed her, Lois knew that Ben was no model, but he had kind, laughing eyes and Lois knew that was what Alisha was interested in.

When football season ended, so did Clark’s relationship with Lana. Lana had decided that she needed to date “older men”, specifically the former Smallville quarterback who was now a hot-topic in the Metropolis Star’s college sports section. Clark didn’t seem nearly as hurt this time, but he did seem a little distracted. He told her that he had been offered a football scholarship to Met. U. , but that he had accepted a journalism scholarship to Kansas State.

<Journalism? e-mailed Lois, not English then?>

<No, answered Clark, I’ve discovered I really like writing. And I can write about the places that I go when I do my world tour after college. Maybe get picked up as a freelancer by one of two of the better newspapers.>

His next e-mail surprised her, but sent a delicious thrill through her.

<Mom has suggested, Clark wrote, that you might be interested in visiting Smallville for a weekend and go with me “as friends” to my senior prom. Not that you’re second choice or anything, but Rachel has a boyfriend this year and it would be nice to see you again. I can skip school on Friday and come get you. We would be back in Smallville by 10:30 or 11:00, and we can both sleep in. Mom says she can handle getting all the details set up for you. I’m not sure what all those things are, but she said to call her. So would you? Would you like to come back to Smallville for the weekend?>

While Lois’ crush on Clark was not as strong as it had been, she still was excited at the opportunity to go on a “date” with Clark. And she would love to see Martha and Jonathan in person again. <That sounds great, Clark, she typed. I’ll give your mom a call.>

Ellen was not enthusiastic about the plan. Not knowing the Kents, she was hesitant to let her “little girl” travel such a distance alone with a teenage boy. Lois called Alisha and asked her to talk to Ellen. Lois realized that her mom actually had a point, but Ellen didn’t know Clark like she did. Alisha put Ellen’s fears to rest deciding that she and Ben were overdue for a visit to Smallville and she would take care of transporting Lois. It was a long distance for Clark to travel alone. Lois e-mailed him about the change in plans.

Typically, Clark was not offended, but he did say that he would miss seeing Lucy and meeting Ellen Lane.

Getting her hair done in a Smallville salon was an experience. She hadn’t realized how those beauticians liked to talk about everyone and everything going on in Smallville. But the gossip did not hold the maliciousness that Lois so often felt in Metropolis. When the ladies learned that she was going with Clark to his prom, they regaled her with stories of his childhood, and his appearance in Smallville. Over and over she was told of acts of kindness, rescued pets, and even a mad dash to pull a toddler out of the way of a car going much too fast for Smallville streets. Clark had a real following among the citizens of Smallville. “That boy is going to do something really special with his life, save the world from destruction or mediate world peace. He’s no ordinary boy, that Clark Kent. And doesn’t he look so distinguished in those glasses! It’s a really good look for him.” Lois felt very proud to be on his arm as they entered the prom and had their picture taken. She knew that she would always treasure that picture and that moment.

They danced and browsed at the snack table. Clark introduced her to Rachel and her date as well as several other classmates. Clark stopped Lois from filling her cup from one bowl, “I just saw Ted spike the punch. You don’t want to drink that.” Setting her cup down, he whirled her into a dance, then tripped over his feet knocking into the card table with the punch on it. He managed not to spill the entire bowl, but it brought the table to the attention of the chaperones and the now near empty punch bowl was replaced with a new one. “Clark, man, I’d just spiked that last one. You’re such a klutz.” Klutz was not a word that Lois would ever use to describe Clark Kent and she suspected that Clark had intended to cause the small upset. She continued to dance with Clark, enjoying being close to him when he suddenly said, “Um. Lois, I really need to go- go do- something.” And he hurriedly left. Was Clark Kent blushing? If he needed to pee, he should just say so! Actually, she would take the opportunity to visit the ladies herself. She followed Clark out the door. But Clark wasn’t headed to the restrooms. He went the other direction, turning the corner in the hall. Curious, Lois followed him. When she reached the corner, Clark was nowhere to be seen. Where had he disappeared to? Unfamiliar with Smallville High, she wandered until she found herself near one of the emergency exits. The door was slightly ajar, and she pushed it open, in time to hear the crunching sound of metal as if there had been two cars hitting each other, but she hadn’t heard any squeal of tires. She rounded the corner to see Clark grabbing a boy out of a car whose door was hanging crazily on its hinges. He pushed the boy up against the car holding him with one hand as the boy struggled clumsily to free himself. As she got closer, she could hear a girl sobbing.

“Rachel, are you okay?”

“Oh, Clark. I feel so stupid, I thought he liked me.”

“Rachel, I think he does like you. He’s just little drunk right now. Ted spiked the punch. Or maybe Pete had some of the ‘spike’ before it got to the punch.”

“My dad’s going to kill me.”

“Are you okay? I mean really okay, don’t just say so.”

“Yes, I’m fine. He just scared me. He’s not usually like this.”

“Then maybe we can keep this between us?” He gave the boy a little shake, “Right, Pete.”

“Yeah, sure Clark. Sorry, Rachel,” the boy muttered.

“I hope you really are, Pete. The only reason I’m not taking you to Rachel’s dad is because you are a little soused and I know that you are usually a nice guy. Rachel, can you and Lois take our limo home? I don’t think that Pete should drive himself home. I’ll drive him there.” Besides, thought Clark, I’m going to have to fix this door before Pete or his dad notices the damage I did to it. Either I’m getting even stronger, or I pulled on it harder than I thought. Just when I think I’m getting the hang of these powers, they change on me!

“But how will you get home, Clark?” Rachel asked.

“Don’t worry about me, Rachel. It’s a nice night for a walk anyway. Can you find Lois and just tell her that you needed someone to drive Pete home?”

“Sure, Clark, and thank you. I’m not sure how far he would have taken it. . .”

“Don’t worry about it, Rachel. You’re my friend. I’m glad I was here to help.”

Clark put his arm around Pete and started leading him back to the main entrance of the school, hoping some cold water on his face would sober him up before Clark took him home. Rachel trailed behind as she headed towards the gymnasium to find Lois. Lois furtively ran toward the now abandoned car, touching the twisted door, and the broken locking mechanism. Had that been the sound she heard? Was Clark so angry that he had done this? Maybe he cared more for Rachel than he let on, but the way he had acted towards Pete all night did not lend itself to that theory. Well, she’d better get back to the gym before Rachel realized that she wasn’t there.

She was standing next to the dance floor by the time Rachel entered the gym. “Lois? My date is not feeling so well; a little too much of the punch Ted spiked. He needs to go home. Clark thought that he would be a better help than I would be. Clark’s really strong and Pete is a pretty big guy.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sure that’s not how you were expecting your senior prom to turn out,” Lois said sympathetically. Rachel would assume that Lois was referring to her date not feeling well, not the fact that Clark had to put a stop to Pete’s drunken behavior.

“Clark wanted to know if we could take the limo home. He’ll drive Pete home in his car. I’m sorry about this, Lois. Pete was just really not himself. I’m sure this isn’t how you expected the night to turn out either.”

“It’s not a problem, Rachel. Forgive me for prying, but does Pete drink very often?”

“No, I don’t think so. I’ve never seen him like- uh, drink like this before.”

“Rachel, I know that you don’t know me, except through Clark, and you have no reason to listen to me, but please be sure that this is an isolated incident. My mother is an alcoholic. And a high percentage of teens that drink become alcoholics. You don’t want to get involved with someone like that.”

“Thanks, Lois. I’m not sure after seeing Pete like this that we’re going to keep dating, but I promise you I will talk to him about this.”

While Clark seemed to think Pete was a nice guy, Clark always tried to see the best in everyone. Lois hoped that Rachel would take her advice to heart. She did not talk about her mother’s alcoholism often, but Lois knew that Rachel would not judge her for her mother’s problems. Another Smallville tradition.

Clark was in the kitchen making breakfast when Lois came down the next morning. Neither Martha or Jonathan was around. She wasn’t sure if that was because they had already eaten or because they were still asleep. Lois got a glass out of the cupboard and pulled the milk out of the fridge.

“Lois, I’m so sorry I couldn’t bring you home, but Rachel-” Clark began.

“Don’t worry about it Clark. Rachel is your friend. I expect you to help her out. She said you are really strong and could handle Pete better than she could.” Lois poured herself a glass of milk and took a drink.

Clark blushed, “I’m just average strong, Lois, for a football jock.” Remembering the twisted car door she thought, “methinks he doth protest too much”, but didn’t say anything about it. Could Clark have been so furious that he had an adrenaline rush of superhuman strength? It just didn’t mesh with the Clark that she knew, or thought she knew. Could there be a part of him that she didn’t know? One seriously in need of anger management therapy? And why had he gone outside anyway? For a moment she wondered if she really knew Clark Kent at all, but then she shook her head thinking of the ladies at the salon yesterday morning and Maisie declaring, “With Clark Kent, what you see is what you get.”

She hugged the Kents, thanking Martha for her help in getting ready and Clark for the wonderful evening. After Ben was pointing the car in the direction of Metropolis, Alisha turned to Lois. “I have some news. *We* have news.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Ben asked Dad if he could marry me. And Dad said yes!”

“What did you say?’

Ben answered for her, “She said, "It’s about time.”

Lois laughed. “Alisha, aren’t you glad that Martha and Clark arranged all this?”

“I sure am. But I wanted to tell you, because I’m hoping that you will stand up with me? We’re getting married before school starts in Metropolis in the fall.” Ben taught math at a Metropolis High School, though not the one Lois attended.

“Of course I will! I’m so happy for you. But why me?”

“Mrs. Bailey would really lecture me about getting too involved in my cases, if she heard this, but I sort of think of you as the little sister I never had. And I don’t even know where my real sister is. Last I heard she was in Kansas City, but that’s been a few years. I tried to keep in touch, but her phone got disconnected and I never got her new number.”

“That’s really terrible, Alisha. I hope that Lucy and I are always close.”

“Tracy just didn’t have the blessings that I did. Life with the Georges formed me into a much different person than I would be if my mother had raised me. Tracy’s never known any other life.”

“I’m very blessed to have you in my life. I can’t believe now that I was just going to take Lucy and get on a bus. There are so many weirdoes out there! Anything could have happened to us. Thank you for caring. I will be forever thankful that you got ‘involved’ in our case.”

“So will I.”

To Lois’ complete shock, her father was there when she got home. He said he was taking a break from his “breast blossoming formula” and was going to be helping out another scientist in his lab, which was located, of all places, in Metropolis.

“So you’ll be looking for an apartment?”

“No, princess, I’ll be staying here. It is still my house.” Legally, maybe, but Lois knew her mom paid the mortgage. Sam’s work paid so sporadically and since he and Ellen weren’t divorced, they had never been able to count on child support or alimony. All her father’s money went into more of his research. Oh, this couldn’t be good. Would her dad be able to stay faithful to her mother? And how would Ellen handle it if he left again? For a moment she longed for the serenity and security of Smallville. But Lois knew that she was a stronger person than she had been three years ago, and her mother was doing great. She allowed herself to believe that things would be fine.

She finished her sophomore year with some of the best grades in her class. Excitedly, she showed her parents the results.

“Lois, that is wonderful,” Ellen said delightedly.

“Why is your science grade the lowest, Lois? You’ll never get into a good pre-med program with a score like that.”

“Pre-med? Dad, why would I be worried about pre-med.?”

“You need a good pre-med program to get into the finest medical schools. Any daughter of mine should be able to attend Yale or Harvard.”

“But, Dad, I’ve always enjoyed writing, I was thinking-”

“The medical field is the way to go, Lois”, Sam said. “Do you know how lacking the medical field is in doctors? People are living longer these days, and soon there are not going to be enough doctors to treat everyone. You’ll be able to name any price for services and get it too, if you have a degree from a really good school.”

“But-”

“Maybe you should listen to your father, Lois. It does sound like there is a need for doctors. I know that there is a nursing shortage as well. It could be a great future for you.”

Lois decided that arguing with her parents was not going to help. Why couldn’t her dad just be happy for her? She had the highest score of her classmates in creative writing. And she had excellent grades in English.

Alisha and Ben had asked to take both Lois and Lucy with them to attend Smallville’s baccalaureate and graduation. They wanted to start talking to Maisie about catering the wedding and getting the flower arrangements set up with the local florist shop. Her dress and Lois’ were from Metropolis, but everything else was going to be from Smallville.

Clark was the salutatorian for his class. Lois’ heart swelled with pride as he gave his speech thanking the citizens of Smallville for providing a firm foundation for the class to go out into the world from. “You are looking at future doctors, lawyers, teachers, and even some farmers that know who they are and know that no matter how far we go in life, we can always come back to Smallville and know that we are home. Ladies and gentleman, please enjoy this 40th graduation of Smallville High.” When the graduation concluded, the room erupted in cheers and whistles as the mortarboards went flying into the air. Clark made his way to his parents and accepted their hugs and offered his mom his handkerchief to dry her tears. They ran into the Georges and Lanes as they both tried to exit the auditorium at the same time. “Lois! And Lucy. I’m so glad you guys could come.”

“Well, Clark, it’s not every day that you graduate from high school. How does it feel?” Lois queried.

“Super, but if I never had to give another speech as long as I live, it will be too soon.”

“Why? You did a great job, Clark,” protested Alisha.

“Thanks, Alisha. I hope my point got across anyway.”

“It got across to me. You know my heart will always belong to Smallville.”

“I thought your heart belonged to me now, sweetheart,” teased Ben.

Alisha poked at him. “Of course, it does, silly. Lucky for you, there’s room enough in my heart for you and Smallville.”

“I guess you guys are excited about your wedding,” commented Clark.

“Yeah. I can’t wait to show my parents and my brother, Paul, around Smallville,” Ben said excitedly.

“We’re flying out of Metropolis the day we get back to attend Paul’s graduation. Paul’s planning to attend Met. U. this fall, so we’ll be seeing a lot more of him,” Alisha said.

Rachel came running up, “Clark! Congratulations, graduate!”

“Thanks, Rachel. You too.”

“Hey, Alisha, can I steal Lois for a minute for some girl talk?” Rachel asked.

“Actually, a lot of us are headed over to Maisie’s. I’ll make sure she gets back to your house, Alisha, if she can come with us,” Clark pleaded.

“That’s fine with me, Clark, if Lois wants to.”

“Sure, Alisha. I can soak up some Smallville social life while I’m here.”

“Clark, don’t keep her out too late. We have a long drive back to Metropolis tomorrow,” reminded Ben.

“Lois, I just wanted to thank you for telling me about your mom. I talked to Pete and found out that he had been drinking with his friends pretty regularly. I looked up teens and alcoholism on the Internet and showed him the studies. He had a long talk with his parents and the school counselor, and I think he’s going to be okay. I probably won’t ever date him, but still, he’s a friend, and-”

“And Smallville takes care of its own.”

“And we suddenly had a group session in the auditorium with a MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) spokesperson. I think a lot of the kids really took it to heart. The Smallville Post reported on her visit and included some statistics. It woke a lot of the parents up. I think that the kids at next year’s prom will find alcohol a little harder to get a hold of.”

“I’m glad, Rachel.”

“You know, Pete was more than just drunk that night. He was a little. . . amorous too.”

“Clark didn’t mention it.”

“He wouldn’t. My reputation, you know. I’m just glad he came when he did. I don’t know how far Pete would have taken it, but I don’t want my first time to be like that.”

Lois blushed, but she said, “Martha says you never forget your first time or whom you were with, so you need to be sure he’s the one you want to remember the rest of your life.”

“Wow. My parents just told me that I shouldn’t let any guy pressure me into anything I wasn’t ready for. I hadn’t thought about having that guy’s face in my head the rest of my life. I’ll remember that.”

“I haven’t really dated anyone yet, but some of the girls in my class have and I know some of them got too serious too fast and regretted it. I don’t want to regret anything I do in my life, much less something as special as that.”

Alisha and Lois spent a few hours the next morning with Maisie and the florist. Chelsea and Don were keeping Lucy and Ben entertained at the farm. As a result of the wedding planning taking longer than expected, they were late leaving Smallville, and Alisha dropped them off at the house in a hurry. Ellen would be home from work later. Lois unlocked the door and re-set the alarm. She told Lucy to hurry and get her pajamas on and get to bed. They both had school in the morning. Lois headed to her parents’ bedroom to use their bathroom as she got ready for bed herself. She flipped on the light and shrieked when a responding groan came from the bed. “Mom? What’s wrong? Why are you home?”

“He’s left us again, Lois. He just up and left. Some young lady doctor has convinced him that she can help him fix his stupid breast enhancing pill!”

“I’m sorry, Mom. But aren’t you supposed to be at work?

“I, uh, I called in sick. Aren’t you home early?”

“No, Mom. Actually we are a little late. It’s almost midnight.”

“Oh. Well, can you hurry up? The light is hurting my eyes.”

Lois met her own eyes in the mirror. Her heart was beating so fast. Fear. All of the sudden she felt like the rug was ripped out from under her. She hadn’t seen any evidence that Ellen had been drinking, but it just reminded her so much of the way things had gotten started when her father left 5 years ago. For a minute she wanted to call Martha. But she knew they went to bed early down on the farm. She could call Alisha, but she was a social worker and Lois was afraid that the law would require that Alisha report Lois’ fears. And, Lois reminded herself, she really had no facts to base her suspicions on. Lois would have to investigate this on her own.

The last week of school was over. Finals were completed and the end-of-the-year parties were over. Ellen had returned to work, and Lois would be spending her summer keeping an eye on Lucy. She was looking forward to her junior year. After all, it was all downhill from here, and then on to journalism school at Met. U. Maybe she would even apply for the summer internship at the Daily Planet next summer. It would be a great experience. Spending more time at home made it easy to find the bottle of vodka in the top of her mom’s closet. “Oh, Mom.” Should she try to talk to her mom? Maybe she just kept the bottle as a reminder or something. Didn’t some alcoholics keep their last bottle of liquor just to remind themselves of how long it had been since they had a drink?

“Mom, I was wondering. How are your AA meetings going?”

“They’re fine, Lois. Just fine. I don’t answer to you. I’m your mother, not the other way around.”

“I’m just trying to be supportive. How long have you been sober now, Mom? Is it two and a half years?”

“Something like that.” Yes, something was definitely wrong.

The next weekend, Lois came back from a double date with her friend Linda King, her boyfriend, and his best friend to find Lucy crying in the kitchen eating cereal out of the box. Lois threw her purse on the table and gathered her in her arms. “Lucy, what’s wrong? Where’s mom?”

“I don’t know. She just left with some guy from her work, and I’m so hungry Lois.”

“What guy from work? Did she get called in? Why didn’t she phone me to come home?”

“I don’t think she was going to work. She wasn’t wearing her uniform.”

What was going on! In all the time that her father had run around on her mother, Ellen had never shown interest in another man.

“Lucy, how about I fix you some of my Smallville tuna sandwiches? That will fill you up, and then you need to get to bed. It’s after 10:00.”

Lois stayed up waiting for her mother to come home. It was 2:00 when the key turned in the lock. Her mom stumbled through the door and started heading for her bedroom. Lois rushed to re-set the alarm. The last thing she wanted was to have the police calling. She followed her mother into the room. “Mom?”

“Lois,” Ellen slurred, “I didn’t think you’d be up.”

“Are you drunk?”

“No, I’m not drunk. I don’t get drunk anymore.”

“You’re drunk, Mom. You left Lucy home alone. She is too young to be left by herself. How long have you been drinking?”

“I told you, I’m not-”

“Stuff it, Mother. I don’t believe you. You’ve been doing so great. Why do you let dad do this to you?”

“It’s not my fault, Lois. I’ve never been enough for your dad. Never.”

“Mom. We can’t do this again. I’m trying to get into college and Lucy isn’t so young anymore. She’s going to figure it out this time.”

Lois left the room. She had to talk to someone. She dialed a familiar number on her cell phone.

“Martha?”

“Lois, what’s wrong?”

“Martha, I know it’s the middle of the night-”

“Lois, I told you to call if you ever needed me, and I meant it.”

“Mom?” Lois heard in the background.

“Clark, go back to bed.”

“Is Lois okay?”

“Let me talk to her Clark. Just go back to bed.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’ve woken up Clark too. How’d he know it was me anyway?”

“Uh, maybe he picked up the phone when it rang. Lois, what’s going on?”

“Martha, I’ve been suspicious for weeks, but tonight my mom left Lucy alone and went out drinking with some guy from her work.”

“Oh, Lois, I’m so sorry.”

“I just can’t do this, Martha. I let myself have dreams and make plans and I want to go to college, Martha!”

“You need to call Alisha.”

“No, I can’t take a chance that I’ll get separated from Lucy.”

“Call Alisha.”

“It can wait until morning.”

“Okay, but I’m calling Mrs. Crane tomorrow to talk to her about your situation.”

“If you think that’s the best thing.”

“It is, Lois.”

“Thanks, Martha.”

“Sure, sweetie. Bye.” Lois held onto the phone not wanting to hang up. She could feel Martha’s love through the phone line and the calm that accompanied it.

“Mom, is Lois okay?” Lois heard Clark’s voice ask. Martha must have forgotten to hit the disconnect on her end.

“Her mom is drinking again.”

“How could she-? Mom, I can be up there in no time. Does Lois need someone to stay with her?” What was Clark talking about? It took hours to get from Smallville to Metropolis.

“And how would you explain how you got to Metropolis so fast? She heard you earlier.”

Lois hit the end button. If she continued to listen, she would be guilty of eavesdropping on the nicest people she knew. What had Clark meant he could get here so quickly? Wait. What am I doing? Keep on the subject, Lois. You’re distancing. Your mother, remember your drunk mother?

Alisha called Lois. After staying up worrying most of the night, Lois had finally fallen into an exhausted sleep about 6:00.

“Alisha,” she mumbled sleepily.

“Oh, Lois, did I wake you up?”

“Yeah, what time is it?”

“It’s about 12:00. I was getting worried. Mrs. Crane called me. She passed on what you had told Martha. Is Lucy there?”

Lois threw off the covers and padded over to her door and stuck her head out. Lucy was settled in front of the TV watching Justice League with a box of pop tarts.

“Yeah, Alisha, she’s watching TV.”

“Martha wants you to come to Smallville.”

“I can’t, Alisha. I need to stay with Lucy.”

“Let me worry about Lucy. You are 17. In New Troy that means that if you leave your parents’ home you are legally an adult and you can do what you want. Go to Smallville, Lois. You can finish high school there.”

“I won’t leave Lucy, and I don’t want her fostered to anyone I don’t know.”

“Lois.”

“No, Alisha. You said I’m an adult. And I’m deciding to stay here. I have to be here for Lucy.”

“But, Lois-”

“Look, Alisha, I know you want to help. But. . .wait, mom’s waking up. I’m going to take her in some coffee.”

“Lois-”

“Bye, Alisha. I promise, we’ll talk later.” Lois hung up the phone and headed into her parent’s. . . no, her mother’s bedroom.

Ellen was in tears. “Oh, Lois, I’m so sorry. I’m a horrible mother. I don’t deserve you. No wonder your father left me.”

“Mother, you deserve just as much as anyone else. But drinking is something you do to yourself. It’s not healthy, and you need to think of Lucy.”

“Lucy, my little baby, so little. . .”

“Mother, do you want to do something good for Lucy?”

“Of course, I do. She’s my baby.”

“Then tell Alisha you want to sign her over to the Kents.”

“What are you talking about?”

“It doesn’t have to be forever, but Lucy needs a stable home. She can get that in Smallville.”

“But she’s my baby.”

“Mother, you need to look at this reasonably. You’re sick. You can’t care for Lucy. And I shouldn’t have to, either. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life in a dead-end job trying to make ends meet to pay the rent and take care of Lucy. I want to go to college.”

“Right, pre-med.”

“No, not- Mother, you’re not focusing. Lucy, remember?”

Please leave feedback! I am working on the sequel to Smallville Style and seek inspiration.

thanks!

rkn