My first fanfic, so be gentle. I have been mulling this idea over for some time (years!) and finally just decided to write it myself. I don't think this exact view on the L&C story has been used before, but if it has, be assured, I didn't know about it!

Smallville Style
By rkn <prov2727@mail.com>
Rated: PG-13
Submitted: March 2007

This story is not set in the 1990s as “Lois & Clark: The Adventures of Superman” is, but will end in the modern day 2007.

For purposes of being realistic in terms of travel, in this story the 51st State of New Troy exists between Missouri and Illinois, making travel to Kansas City a 6 hour drive on I-70. Smallville is 4 hours south west of Kansas City. I realize that this is a big change from viewing Metropolis as an East Coast City, but I also don’t see any DCFS sending children literally half-way across the country for any reason. Even a 10 hour drive would be stretching it, but I don’t think that Metropolis should be right next door either.

I always thought that Lucy seemed much younger than Lois, and that her whole attitude was so very different from Lois’ that it was almost as if they had grown up in different homes giving them different outlooks on life. In my story there is an eight year age difference.

I have quoted heavily from the script where my story meets up with Season One. This is not in any way an attempt to plagiarize, but meant as the sincerest form of admiration. I don’t think that the original script could be much improved on and I don’t want to make the story less by not using it. I am just looking at the story from a different angle.

Special thanks to my beta reader for his help in developing this story and pointing out inconsistencies and unfinished thought processes. It is a much better story due to his patient assistance.

Alisha Taylor walked down the Metropolis, New Troy sidewalk, sipping her latte, a frown wrinkling her forehead. She stopped at the Daily Planet vendor to get a paper, digging in her purse for change and handing it to the clerk without looking up.

“You look worried, Alisha. Anything I can help with?”

That got her attention. She looked at the balding clerk, “Do I know you?”

“Of course you do. I’m Mike.”

“That’s right! Mike, how are you?”

“Tremendous as always, but you look worried. Is it one of your cases?”

While Mike certainly was familiar to her, she couldn’t remember ever discussing her job as a social worker with him. “Mike, you know I can’t discuss my cases.”

“Alisha, maybe you need to think about your childhood and what made all the difference for you.”

Not only did the guy know what she did for a living, he knew of her early childhood as a foster kid. He certainly had a better memory than she did! She still couldn’t place exactly where she knew him from. “You mean Smallville and the Georges.”

“I’m certain that you can think of someone like the Georges that could make a real difference in Lo- to the persons involved in this case.”

“Hmmm.” It was a great idea but was it even possible? “Well, I’d better go. I don’t want to be late. Mrs. Bailey will be upset. She likes to make sure everyone knows she’s in charge.”

“Maybe that is because work is the only place where she feels like she has control of her environment.”

“You know Mrs. Bailey?”

“I know about everyone. It’s my job.”

“Working at a newsstand? How. . . oh, look at the time. I’d better rush.”

Still nursing her latte, Alisha continued her walk to Metropolis Department of Children and Family Services. The case she was working on was a familiar story, but somehow the children- two girls- really got to her. Maybe it reminded her of her own situation, a little. How had Mike known she had been a foster child? She rarely mentioned it, even to her friends. She considered the Georges her parents and Smallville her hometown. Her past was just that, the past. Still, she related to these girls and it was bothering her a lot more than her cases usually did. She’d seen a lot, both as a child in the system and now as a social worker. Her parents had been very surprised when she chose social work as her career. They figured that she would want to get as far away from her past as possible. But, as she explained to them, they had made such a difference in her life, and she felt that she could understand the children in these situations like no one else could, because she’d been there. And maybe she could make a difference in their lives too.

The Georges had come to Metropolis and taken her home to Smallville when she was 10 years old. She barely remembered her “real” parents, as she was only 5 when she landed in “the system”, along with her older sister, Tracy. Tracy was more aware of the bad situation that they were living in and even at 9 was already in with the “bad crowd”; pre-teens experimenting with drugs and sex. Alisha couldn’t blame her. It was the lifestyle that their mom and her string of boyfriends participated in and it was all that Tracy and Alisha had known. One night one of those boyfriends got too rough with their mother. A neighbor called the police. The sisters were handed over to Metropolis DCFS and they were told the next day that their mother had suffered a cranial hemorrhage from repeated blows to the head. That didn’t make sense to a young Alisha, who just asked when her mommy would come and get them over and over until Tracy bluntly explained that “Mom is dead. She’s not coming back.”

The girls began a tour of the foster homes that Metropolis had to offer. Alisha considered herself fairly lucky. While none of the places she lived in was “home”, she wasn’t mistreated, though she missed her sister. Unfortunately, things did not work out as well for Tracy. She had ended up with one of those families that appeared so nice and perfect when the DCFS interviewed them, but it turned out that the “dad” had a young girl fetish and Tracy was a prime target. His wife did not believe the stories that Tracy told about her husband and Tracy turned to drugs for escape. After that, Tracy did not seem to care what was done to her. When DCFS came to investigate due to a complaint from another young teen, Tracy backed up her foster parents that the idea was preposterous and her “dad” was a great father. She had her friends and her dealer and she didn’t want to lose them. Tracy moved in with her boyfriend and his family when she turned 17 and continued to lead the life that she was brought up in, doing whatever it took to feed her drug addiction. Alisha shook her head. How had she gotten so fortunate? When she was 10, the Georges came to visit her at her current foster home, the Bentons. Mr. and Mrs. Benton weren’t her parents, and they had told her up front that they didn’t plan to make the situation permanent, as they hoped to have children of their own one day, but they were nice to her and she liked her school. But the Georges wanted her to come live with them and be a real family. They told her about the town they lived in (Smallville- who thought that one up!) and the dairy that they owned providing goat milk and cheese to the Smallville community with the extra brought into Kansas City once a week to be sold in some of the restaurants and smaller grocery and health food stores. Alisha was sure it had to be a dream. She could hardly wait.

There was no contest to her adoption. Her father was in no shape to take care of children and was glad to finally wash his hands of her. When the adoption was made final, Alisha traveled to Smallville to live with her new family. The Georges had a bedroom just for her, and, sure enough, a farm with lots of baby goats, cats, and dogs to play with. Most of all, the Georges really loved her and the citizens of Smallville opened their hearts to her. Everyone knew her name and treated her like she had lived there all her life. Malts at Maisie’s, the weekly farmer’s market, the Corn Festival. . . Alisha fit right in Smallville. She was home.

Alisha’s frown reappeared as the case she was working on came back to her. Of course, the situation wasn’t really that similar to her own. Lois and Lucy Lane weren’t even orphans. Lois’ grades were plummeting, but as far as she could tell, the young teen knew better than to seek solace in drugs, likely because she faced an addiction every day in the form of her mother’s alcoholism. But the hardness in Lois’ face and her mistrust of everyone she met reminded Alisha of Tracy before circumstances separated them. Lucy was the same age as Alisha had been, 5 years old. Their situation had been brought to the attention of the DCFS when a ticket agent reported to the police that a young girl had purchased two bus tickets for her and “her poor, sick auntie” with rolled up one dollar bills, and assorted coins- a piggy bank raid. The agent had seen no sign of “auntie” and was suspicious. The police woman that came to the scene found Lois and Lucy curled up together on the bench awaiting the bus. Lois tried to convince the officer that the agent had misunderstood and she and her sister were traveling to visit her aunt, who was very ill and really, really needed their help. Not believing a word, the officer took them to the police station.

They put each girl in an interrogation room. Lois stubbornly refused to offer any information to the police, but Lucy proudly recited her address and phone number, declaring that she had learned it in school. A phone call brought Mrs. Ellen Lane to the police station, laughingly stating that she and Lois had had a disagreement about Lois wanting to go out with her friends and Lois was just trying to get back at her. The argument sounded reasonable enough, but the skilled officer noticed a little unsteadiness in Ellen Lane’s walk, the way that Lois rolled her eyes in disbelief at Mrs. Lane’s explanation and the muttered “like anyone would be friends with me when I have a mother like *you*”. Something was up here. He explained to Mrs. Lane that DCFS would have to follow up, but he released Lois and Lucy into her care.

When DCFS followed up, Ellen Lane tried to hide her intoxicated state, but the stress of her situation had obviously caused her to seek solace in a bottle of vodka and under Alisha’s questioning she degenerated into the weepy state of drunkenness. Sobbing, she explained to Alisha that her husband had started seeing other women around the time that he discovered that his pregnant wife was expecting another girl. He’d stuck around for two more years, but, while they had never legally separated, Sam Lane spent his time dabbling in ridiculous research and was currently incommunicado in the jungles of Africa studying some plant that was supposed to expand your brain or something. “You’d think his brain could expand to see that he has two children that need him, even if they are not the precious sons that he wanted.”

Many tissues later, Alisha had the whole story, how Ellen had slapped Lucy for whining about not having any dinner. Ellen had instructed Lois to make Mac & Cheese, but “that stupid girl burnt it, just like she always burns everything. She never learns!” Lois waited until Ellen had drifted off before bundling up her sister and trying to leave Metropolis with no plan other than to find somewhere better for her sister to live. Alisha was able to get Ellen to agree to go to a treatment center for alcoholism. The girls would finish the school year the end of next month, and summer would be an ideal time for Ellen to begin the program. The DCFS staff would find somewhere where the girls could stay for the summer and they wouldn’t have to worry about changing schools. Until then, Ellen would meet with a counselor on a regular basis.

Alisha’s heart ached for Lois, knowing that the anger and attitude she displayed were just her way of trying to protect her heart. She had seen how Lois tried to shield Lucy from the reality of their situation. No wonder the poor girl’s schoolwork was suffering if she was trying to be the mother to Lucy that Ellen couldn’t be. There was simply no time left to study. If something wasn’t done soon, Lois could fall farther and farther behind in school, which would affect her ability to go to college and make a better life for herself. Alisha laughed to herself. What Lois needed was a good dose of Smallville. She needed to learn that not everyone in her life would disappoint and reject her. Alisha shook her head. It would probably never happen. Alisha worked in New Troy, not Kansas where Smallville resided. Her cell phone shrilled and she almost dropped her coffee and the paper. Flipping it open without checking the caller ID she apologized, “I’m sorry, Mrs. Bailey, but I was up late with a case last night and I just can’t seem to get moving this morning, but I’m almost there I promise.”

“Alisha, it’s mom.”

“Oh, Mom, I’m sorry. I thought you were my boss calling to bawl me out for being late. How are things in Smallville?”

“Great as always. I was calling to let you know that your dad and I will be in Kansas City this weekend. We were hoping you could come visit. The Kents are coming too. Our project combining our cheese with their herbs and vegetables has been a great hit. We’re so excited to be invited to serve our cheese to all the big wigs in Kansas City! It’s a great way to promote the agriculture industry.”

“That’s great Mom! If I’m not on call this weekend, I’d love to see you guys. And it is always great to see the Kents. They’re just so—Smallville.”

“They’re the salt of the earth alright. And you remember Clark, right? He is 15 now, can you believe it. He’s such a great kid. The Kents have really done a good job with him.”

Alisha remembered Clark. She had been almost 11 when she heard about the baby left on the Kent’s doorstep. Smallville was just shocked that anyone would abandon his or her child like that. They felt that the parents had to be out-of-towners just coming through Smallville. Smallville residents were sure that if the mother had been from Smallville she would know that we would have all pitched in to help in her time of need.

Alisha remembered a long ago day when she had seen a younger Martha Kent holding baby Clark close to her chest and looking down at him with amazement and love in her eyes.

“Why is she crying, Mom? Doesn’t she like babies?”

Chelsea George looked down at Alisha and Alisha saw the tears in her mom’s eyes too. “No, sweetie. Martha is just happy, and a little sad too. See, sometimes some women can’t have babies of their own for what ever reason, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t want a baby. In fact, Martha has wanted a baby as long as I’ve known her, which is a long time, since we started kindergarten together.”

“So why is she sad, too? You said she wants a baby. And God sent her one.”

“Well, yes, He did, but, unfortunately, the DCFS needs to find out if the baby’s mother wants him back. Martha may not be able to keep baby Clark.”

“That’s just wrong! Martha would be a great mom. If Clark’s mom loved him, she wouldn’t have abandoned him, just left him. . .” Alisha began to cry too. Chelsea George knew Alisha wasn’t just talking about Clark.

“Sweetheart, sometimes mommies and daddies just can’t keep their children. Sometimes the best thing that they can do is give them to someone else to love.”

“Like you love me.”

“Just like that. I know your mom loved you too, in her own way. She was just sick.”

“That’s why the social worker took me and Tracy away. She helped us.”

“That’s right. We all need help sometimes.” That day Alisha decided two things. One, that when she was a mom, she would love her children just like Don and Chelsea George loved her and Martha loved baby Clark and, secondly, that Alisha would be a helper and help kids find good homes like she had.

Adult Alisha sighed. Life wasn’t always as black and white as it looked back then. Some cases were clear cut, but others were harder. Sometimes the parents needed help just as much as the children.

“Sure I remember Clark. I remember how happy Martha was the day she and Jonathan found out that Clark was theirs for keeps.”

“Well, it helped that he ended up in Smallville. The second his feet touched Smallville soil, he belonged. I don’t think the social worker wanted to take on Maisie, the Senior Center, or Martha’s dad, Mayor Clark. He was thinking about running for state representative at the time. I don’t think she wanted to be on Mr. Clark’s bad list. Mr. Clark died of an aneurysm about three months later.”

“I remember that.”

“Yeah, but I was so thankful that he got to see Martha truly happy and I think he even decided that Jonathan was okay. He had a different future in mind for Martha than the one she chose. He always encouraged her in the arts and sciences. I think he resented that marrying Jonathan put an end to that future, and then when they couldn’t have kids, I know he blamed Jonathan, even though the doctors Martha consulted thought that the problem might be with her. Actually, Clark brought a lot of healing to that family and to Smallville. He’s really special.”

“Well, I can say from experience that Smallville is a great place to grow up. I can never thank you guys enough for taking me in. I love you, Mom.”

“Oh, I love you too sweetie. You have been such a blessing to your dad and me. You’re the very best.”

“So why didn’t Jonathan and Martha adopt again? Were they still hoping for kids of their own?”

“I don’t think so. I don’t know why. They have a lot of love to give.”

“It’s not like Clark is such a handful they couldn’t handle another child.”

“Well, I’d better help dad milk the goats before he comes looking for me. And I’ve probably made you really late. I hope your boss won’t be too upset.”

“I don’t care if she is. It was great to talk to you. Tell Dad hi for me, and I’ll see you this weekend if I can. I’ll let you know.”

“Sure thing, sweetie. Love you.”

“Love you too. Bye.” Alisha flipped her phone shut, took a deep breath for confidence and entered the DCFS offices.

Unbelievable! Mrs. Bailey wasn’t in her office, so she couldn’t be upset at Alisha for being “late”. Technically, she only owed them 40 hours a week and since she had been up half the night… But Mrs. Bailey liked to be sure Alisha was in her office bright and early. Mrs. Bailey was such a grump. Mike’s statement that work was the only place that Mrs. Bailey felt in control might be true. Maybe she should try to be a little more patient.

Right now she needed to find somewhere the Lane girls could be taken care of while Ellen was in the treatment center. Alisha really did not want to see the girls split up, but finding a home that would take both might be difficult. She really wanted to pack them both up and take them to her parents, which just wasn’t an option. She started flipping through the files in the cabinet by her desk. She came across a flyer from an agency that provided summer vacations for children from large cities. The agency had several camps, but it was the other option that caught her attention. The fund also had families in neighboring states that would host children for the summer giving them the opportunity to experience a different lifestyle than the “city-life” they were accustomed to. If she could find a family in this program that would have room for both girls, it would be a great opportunity for them. If she could find a family from a small town similar to Smallville, it would be even better.

After ensuring that she was not on call for the weekend, Alisha had asked Ellen if she could take the girls with her to Kansas City. She told Ellen that it would be a good opportunity for the girls to see a different city.

They would need to leave early and be home very late, but it would give Ellen the opportunity to go to her counseling session and not have the responsibility of caring for the girls for the day. It might not be exactly what Mrs. Bailey might have in mind as an outing, but Alisha really wanted the girls to meet her parents and to see what a family life could be. As Alisha drove Lois was uncommunicative but Lucy chatted away. At least by listening to her, Alisha knew that the girls were physically doing okay.

In Kansas City, Alisha found the room her parents were staying in. She introduced her parents and then suggested that the girls lay down on one of the beds and watch TV. Alisha knew that Lucy would likely fall asleep, but hopefully TV would keep Lois busy for a while. She went back into the living area of the suite.

“You didn’t mention you were bringing company, Alisha.”

“No, Dad, I didn’t. But these girls need some Smallville, and this may be as close as I can get them.”

“What do you mean?” her mom asked.

“They, especially Lois, need to be loved, really loved, just like you guys and all of Smallville did for me. That’s why I brought them.”

Lucy came into the room. “Ms. Taylor, Lois is watching boring TV. I want cartoons and she won’t let me.”

Alisha could hear the history channel in the background. History? Most teenagers would have been looking for MTV or a movie channel. “Well, we will just have to find some other way to keep you busy. Hey, why don’t you ask my mom about her baby goats?”

Lucy’s eyes flew to Chelsea. “Real ones? Real baby goats?”

“Lots and lots of baby goats. Too many. I need help just to keep them all fed.”

“I’ll help you.”

“Well, they’re at my home in Smallville.”

“Aw. I bet they’re cute.”

“We have some kittens right now too. They like the extra milk and keep the mice out of the feed.”

“I love kittens! Lois says maybe I can have a kitten one day when she’s big enough to adopt me. But she can’t right now.”

Alisha’s heart broke. Lois was already planning to take Lucy from her mother as soon as she could. Doubtless, Lois would work herself into the ground, waiting tables and cleaning bathrooms to make sure that Lucy had it all. It was not the life any girl should have to look forward to. Alisha met her mom’s eyes. Chelsea read the unspoken message there; please, help me help these girls.

The local foods presentation was the next day, so the Georges and the Kents were getting together to explore Kansas City before the hard work began. Alisha gave Martha a hug and shook Jonathan’s hand. She gave Clark a quick hug too, and his ears turned bright red. Jonathan had to tease his son. “Alisha, you’ve made Clark’s day. He had a crush on you the year you were prom queen.”

“Dad! That was 10 years ago. I was only 5. I though she was a fairy princess.”

“I felt like a fairy princess. Smallville is so great. I really miss it.”

“Why don’t you come back?” asked Jonathan.

“Boone County already has great social workers. And I want to be somewhere I can really make a difference. I hope I am.”

“Alisha, whatever you can do is enough. I think the children you help must know that you really care.” Martha said.

“Thanks, Martha.”

“Hey, we had better get going if we want to see the plaza before dark,” broke in Don George. “Lois, Lucy, are you guys ready to take in the sights?”

“Yea!” cried Lucy, excited, but not really knowing why.

“Can I just stay here and watch TV?”

“No, Lois, I’m sorry, “Alisha said. “I’m sure you would like some time to yourself, but I promised your mom I would keep you with me at all times.”

“Hey, Lois, it’ll be fun,” said Clark. “There’s a great Chinese place. Maybe we can eat lunch there and get some fortune cookies.”

A look of interest crossed Lois’ face. “Chinese, really? I had some once. It was great. I like spicy foods.”

“Cool. With all of us we can get lots of different things and share. Can we eat Chinese, Dad?”

Jonathan looked around, and seeing that no one objected, said, “Sure, Clark. That sounds like a good plan.”

It was a warm day, and the group had great fun touring the Plaza. Lucy kept her hand in someone else’s all day as she ran from place to place. She is going to sleep all the way back to Metropolis, thought Alisha. Lois didn’t say much, but she responded politely when spoken to, so Alisha assumed she was enjoying herself more than she let on. They ordered a lot of food for lunch. Alisha knew that this whole trip was expensive for the Kents and the Georges, but they didn’t seem to be worrying about it so she guessed she shouldn’t either. Jonathan joked about how much Clark ate and was he sure that two entrees were enough. Clark grinned back good naturedly as he helped Lucy with her fortune cookie.

“A horse is like a member of the family? How is that a fortune?” Lois questioned of her fortune.

“I don’t know about a horse, but Zoë thinks she’s member of our family,” Don laughed. “She thinks she needs to live in the house.”

Chelsea laughed and explained to Lois, “Zoe was born late one night during one of our coldest Smallville winters. I hadn’t intended for any of the girls to kid that month, but Kati surprised me, the bugger. Poor little Zoe was so cold. I just had to bring her in the house. She couldn’t manage to keep herself warm, and if I left her with the does, she would get squished when they cuddled up for warmth.”

Don laughed, “Zoe spent a month in our kitchen before I finally put my foot down and made Chelsea put her outside.”

“Put your foot down! Who was it who let her watch TV with them on the couch, huh?”

“Goats in the house?” Lois wrinkled her nose.

“It’s no biggie, Lois,” chimed in Clark. “It’s not an everyday thing, but sometimes an animal needs help and we’ll bring young ones into the house. We had an early calf in our kitchen for a week one time. Sure, he smelled a little different, but we just didn’t have the heart to leave him outside. Kinda like me, I guess.”

“You’re a cow or you smell?” Wait, was Lois actually teasing Clark? This was the girl that barely said a word all the way to Kansas City, wasn’t it?

“No, I mean, I ended up on Mom and Dad’s doorstep and they took me in.”

“Their doorstep?”

“Yep. They found me there and they adopted me.”

“So you don’t even know who your real parents are?”

“Not a clue”

“Doesn’t that bother you?”

“Yeah, sometimes, but Mom and Dad are the greatest. I can’t imagine better parents.”

Wow. Lois thought. I can’t imagine not knowing who my parents were. Actually, it would drive me insane! I’d have to know, if it took every minute of every day, I would find out. How could Clark be so accepting? At least I know who my parents are, even if they’re not here, I know where my brown eyes come from. That I’m quick to jump to conclusions, even wrong conclusions, like my mom, and I’m built like dad’s side of the family. Clark couldn’t possibly be for real. She looked around at the Kents and the Georges. These people were on something. No one could be that happy and…loving. But Lucy was eating it up. She was now hanging over the railing of the bridge with Jonathan’s arm around her waist to keep her from leaning over too far. Alisha was handing her bread to feed the swans. Yep, unreal.

When Lucy’s five-year-old legs had tired out, she had ridden around on Clark’s shoulders. Alisha had a feeling that Lucy’s legs recovered long before she asked Clark to put her down so she could touch the water in the fountain. Clark quickly dug in his jeans to produce a coin for her to throw and even offered Lois one. For a moment, Alisha thought that Lois would scoff at the idea of making a wish and refuse, but she surprised Alisha by taking the coin. Maybe “Smallville” was already rubbing off on her.

Martha and Chelsea sat on the bench watching the children and their husbands. “What’s with Lois and Lucy, Chelsea? Does Alisha usually bring “work” home?”

“No, I don’t think so. These girls seem to have struck a chord with her. I think that something about their situation reminds her of her life before Smallville. Actually, she said as much. She said those girls needed a good dose of Smallville. That’s why she brought them.”

“They need to be loved.”

“All children need to be loved.”

“Yeah, but don’t you look into Lois’ eyes and just see that she needs someone to hug her?”

“Lois? Lucy, yes. But then she is affectionate. I can’t really read Lois at all.”

Alisha came over to sit with them after surrendering the last of the bread to Lucy.

“Are you guys talking about me again?”

“Yes and no. Mostly your mom and I were talking about Lois and Lucy.”

“I’d like to find somewhere that they can stay for the summer, maybe in a small town where they might get to feel some of that unquestioning acceptance that Smallville gave me.”

Martha’s face lit up. “You mean like a summer program for city kids?”

Alisha nodded. “I’m planning to start looking at some of the host families on Monday to see if anyone has requested kids with Lois and Lucy’s age and sex. If I can’t get them in the same home, at least I may be able to get them into the same town. It looks like a really great program. They had sent some literature to us some time ago, but I hadn’t really looked into it until now.”

“I’m spilling the beans here, but, Chelsea you know that I’m on the city council. Last year one of the other ladies just talked and talked about the little boy that her niece in Virginia had hosted. The whole town had gotten involved and both the townspeople and the boy had a really great time. We talked about it and decided that Smallville should participate in a program like this with one of the cities around here. Several of the committee members have signed up to be hosts this summer and if everything goes as well as we hope, we want to ask others in the community to sign up to host next year. There’s going to be an article in the Smallville Post on Monday,” Martha spoke excitedly.

“That’s a wonderful idea.”

“I can’t believe it.” said Chelsea and Alisha at the same time. Martha and Chelsea looked at Alisha.

“As soon as I met these girls I wanted to get them to Smallville, but it seemed like an impossible wish. Martha, what you’re telling me is that it is a possibility. You’ve made my day!”

“So, what’s your favorite subject in school?” Clark and Lois had ended up together with the adult women talking at the bench and the men held captive by Lucy’s young charms.

“I’m not good at school.”

“I’m sure you’re exaggerating. But that’s not what I asked you, anyway. What do you like?”

Lois glanced sideways at the handsome teen. Why was he asking? Why did he care? She decided to answer anyway. It didn’t matter. She’d never see him again. Why did her heart hurt a little at the thought?

“English, I guess. History too.”

“You like to read?”

“I like information. I want to know what’s going on. Who is doing what? Why?”

“Sounds like you would be a good reporter?”

“Like on the news?”

“Well, maybe not on TV, but they get their stories from someone. There’s radio. Like talk-radio.”

“All they do is go round and round and argue.”

“Or newspapers.”

“Like the New York Times?”

“Or the Daily Planet.”

“What’s your favorite subject?”

“Football.”

“That is NOT a subject!”

“No, and it’s not really my favorite either. But Smallville thinks it is.” Clark surprised himself that he would admit this aloud.

“Who made that name up? It is so not original.”

“You’d have to ask my dad. He’s the Smallville history buff. Actually, I like English and History too. I do really well in Science. Math is okay. I don’t really like math. Geography- I love geography. I want to travel the world when I get out of school. I want to see what’s out there.”

“Travel where?”

“China, Borneo, Japan, Australia. . . everywhere.”

“Wow. I haven’t thought of anything like that.”

“Well, you’re still young. You have a long time to think about what you want to do when you graduate.”

“I’m 13! Besides, I know what I’m going to do when I graduate. I’m going to get a job and take my sister somewhere safe.”

“Won’t she be a teenager herself by then?”

“She’ll be 10.”

“You’re talking graduating from high school! Lois, what about college?”

“What about my sister?”

Clark frowned, stuffing his hands in his pocket. “Are things that bad?”

The old Lois was back, “Why do you care? Nobody cares about me except Lucy. We’ll take care of each other.”

“Alisha cares.”

“It’s her job. Besides aren’t you in love with her or something?”

Clark blushed. “My dad was just teasing me. Alisha is 10 years older than me. Besides, there’s someone else.”

“Someone else?”

“Yeah. Lana. Lana Lang. Her dad is the mayor, like my grandpa used to be. She’s really pretty. A cheerleader too.”

“And blonde, I bet.”

“Y-e-s. What do you have against blondes?”

“Nothing. Just my dad seems to prefer blondes. Like Mrs. Bellecanto.”

“Who? Now who made that name up?”

“Who cares? I don’t want to talk about it anymore.” Lois walked away to stand with her sister watching the swans swim lazily on the lake.

“Can we stay here, Lois? Can we stay here forever?” Lucy asked, her brown eyes pleading.

“Someday, Lucy. I’ll bring you back here and we’ll watch the swans all day.”

There were hugs all around (which Lois bore stiffly) when Alisha announced that they needed to leave. Tired from not taking a nap, Lucy cried that she wanted to stay with Clark and the “goat lady”, as she dubbed Chelsea. As Clark handed her over to Alisha, Lois thought for a second that she saw the sheen of tears in Clark’s eyes.

Clark stuck out his hand to Lois. “Lois Lane. I hope we see each other again. Have fun with all your classes.” Lois took his hand and shook it. She didn’t want this time to end. The Kents and the Georges seemed to be genuinely nice people. After all, they had adopted Alisha- Ms. Taylor- and Clark and the two seemed to really love their parents, even though Alisha laughingly told her dad that she was never coming home again if he didn’t stop asking her to bring him son-in-law. Well, then again. Maybe they weren’t so nice. Don George had a great daughter yet he still wanted a son. Just like her dad.

Lois stared out the window in silence all the way back to Metropolis. As Alisha predicted, Lucy was asleep almost as soon as they left Kansas City. Alisha tried to engage Lois in conversation for a while, but after a few monosyllabic answers, she gave up and left Lois in peace.

“I heard what Alisha said, Mom, about looking for a Smallville home for Lois and Lucy,” Clark said

“You did?” queried Martha.

“What are you talking about?” asked Jonathan.

Martha reminded him about the program that Smallville was participating in and told him that Alisha wanted to get Lois and Lucy into their program or at least one like it.

“Why aren’t you and dad hosting anyone?” Clark asked.

“Us?” asked Jonathan. “You know we can’t. You know why we can’t.”

“Because of me. Because of my … abilities.” There was a tone of resentment in Clark’s voice. He hated that his differences could keep his parents from being free to open their home to another child.

“It’s not your abilities or *you*. It’s that we don’t know how some small-minded people might react if they found out about what you can do. And if you heard your mom’s conversation from where you were standing, your hearing is getting even more acute.”

“But Alisha said it was just for a few weeks. Didn’t you like Lois and Lucy?”

“That’s beside the point. If someone found out about you, they might want to take you away from us and—”

“Dissect me like a frog. I know. But they’re just little girls. I can hide my abilities at home just like I do at school. No one there suspects me. And even if they saw something, who would believe them?”

Jonathan shook his head. “It’s just too dangerous.”

“Mom, what do you think?”

“I can see your father’s point, Clark-“

“But, Mom-“

“I can see yours as well, Clark. And it is just for a few weeks. Our application to host might still be accepted for this summer. If Clark thinks that he can keep up the pretense at home. . .?”

“How long is a few weeks? That’s something that we really need to know.” Jonathan stated practically.

“Jonathan! Does that mean you might agree?”

“You know I can’t resist you, Martha Clark Kent. I never could. And that Lucy is really a sweet girl. She really took to Clark too.”

“Yes, Lucy’s sweet, but did you see her eyes, Jonathan? Did you see Lois’ eyes? She’s really hurting. Alisha couldn’t tell us anything about her situation, but I know her mom needs personal time this summer and she didn’t mention a father.”

“I don’t think Lois has anyone to take care of her. She told me that she plans to adopt Lucy when she turns eighteen” said Clark.

“Clark, what about college? How can she go to college and care for a young child.”

“I think Lois realized a long time ago that college is not going to happen for her.”

“Oh, that’s awful. Jonathan-”

“Martha, a few weeks, is not going to solve the Lane family problems.”

“No, but maybe we can help her. Somehow. Even if it is just giving her the love that Alisha says she needs. Smallville style.”

Clark was very quiet the rest of the way home. His mind kept going back to Lois. She had been amazingly easy for him to talk to. Not that he had revealed anything about his abilities, but admitting that Smallville only saw the Clark Kent that he let them see not who he really was? He didn’t even express those feelings to his parents, because he knew that it would pain them. They didn’t hate that he had these powers, but they hated the fact that his powers made him feel different and alone. Lois was so brave. He hoped that her future would not turn out the way she envisioned, but the point was that at thirteen she had already made plans for the future and she seemed so unafraid to face that future, even one that was certainly not ideal. He didn’t even think about his own future very often. His powers were continuing to develop and he couldn’t help wondering when, or if, they would stop. Would new abilities keep popping up his whole life? How long would his life be? He seemed to age normally, but if nothing could hurt him, and his powers kept him extremely healthy, would he even die, ever? He remembered hearing a song on a TV show that said, “No One Wants to Live Forever”. Not that he wanted to die, but a life stretching endlessly into the future was scary too. With all his physical strength, Clark worried that he was not as strong of a person emotionally as he should be, as he wanted to be.

Alisha was at home flipping TV channels when her cell phone rang. It was Sunday evening. Her mom had called earlier to say that the presentation had gone beautifully and they were headed home. They would call when they arrived. The digits on the screen confirmed it was a Smallville number, but not one she was familiar with.

“Hello.”

“Alisha, it’s Martha.”

“Martha? Is something wrong?”

“No, no, not at all. Your mom gave me your number. I was calling about the summer program we were talking about.” Martha gave her the contact information for the program.

“Thanks so much, Martha. Do you know of any of the hosts that might have requested two girls?”

“Clark knows someone.”

“He does?”

“Us, actually. Clark thinks the girls should stay with us. He. . . uh, he heard me talking about it to Jonathan on the way home.”

“Really? I know you’re very busy. You didn’t mention that you were one of the hosts.”

“We are busy, but Clark can lend a hand. He was great with Lucy, you saw them, and he said that he would be happy to tutor Lois and help her catch up in school.”

“That would be great. She’s already about a semester behind. Last year she missed a lot of classes or didn’t pass. Her mind just isn’t in it.”

“From the little she said to Clark, it seems she’s a lot more worried about her sister than herself.”

“I noticed that she seemed to really take to Clark. I’ve never got her to carry on a real conversation with me. I guess as an adult, I’m ‘the enemy’.”
“Lois has had a hard way to go, hasn’t she?”

“Yes, she has.” Alisha sighed. “If you’re serious about this Martha, I’ll be happy to talk to you about it. Tomorrow morning I’ll start seeing what I can do to make this happen.”

“Actually, I will need to send in the application to be a host, but since I have already been working with the foundation to set the program up in Smallville I’m hoping that we’ll be accepted quickly. And I want these girls, Alisha. I really do. You’re right. They need some love and we will love them as long as we have them.”

They said their good-byes and Alisha hung up the phone. Interesting! The Kents? She thought back to the conversation with her mom about why the Kents never adopted another child. Of course, it was only for the summer, but they had a lot of love to give.

Her phone rang again. Her dad was calling to say they were home and her mom was out feeding the goats. Zoe was on the front porch when they got home and Grandma’s rose bush was a little the worse for wear. Alisha laughed knowing that her dad loved the spoiled goat just as much as her mom. He just liked to complain. She hung up again and started getting ready for bed. Tomorrow was bound to be an interesting day.

Alisha was more than on time to work the next day. She hung up from her call to the contact at the foundation. She hastily called Martha Kent.

“Martha! Mrs. Crane says she can’t see any issue with getting you set up as a host for this summer.”

“Really! Susan is a wonderful lady.” Susan Crane had formerly been a social worker in the Smallville area but was now working as a liaison between the foundation and host families.

“She’s the best. She’s my inspiration. Anyway, she says she can come over to do a formal inspection anytime you’re available. You and Jonathan both need to be there, but she doesn’t need Clark to be there unless he wants to"

Martha laughed. “I’ll call Susan and set something up. Then what?”

“Well, after Mrs. Crane gives you the official okay, I think the rest will fall into place. I’ve already told Mrs. Crane that you have met the girls and she indicated that she would make sure that you would get matched.”

“Well, we’ll be crossing our fingers.”

“Smallville, Ms. Taylor! Why would we want to go to Smallville?” Lois scoffed.

“Is that where the goats live?” Lucy asked.

“Yes, Lucy. But, actually, you’ll be staying with the Kents. You remember Clark and his mom and dad. They don’t have goats, but they do have some cows and chickens.” Alisha explained. “Lois, it wasn’t that long ago you were at the bus station, heading out of Metropolis with no idea where you were going. Now you have a destination. And a plan. Clark thinks that he and Lana can help you catch up on some of your schoolwork. I’ve talked to your school and they are going to put some work together for you to take with you. Lucy seems to think it sounds like fun. What do you say?”

“Does it matter?”

“Lois, please. Give this a chance. I guarantee you, there is no place like Smallville, and the Kents are such great people.”

“When do we leave?” Lois asked resignedly.

So, she would be seeing Clark Kent again. Lois was aware that she had some sort of feeling- a crush- on Clark Kent. Stupid, stupid Lois! He has blonde Lana, why would he look twice at you? He thinks you’re just some little kid, like, like Lucy!

Hope you like the start to this VERY long story. I'm looking forward to feedback. Just be patient- the rest of the story gets better!

thanks!

rkn