Summary: What if they had ordered a pizza instead of Ralph's Pagoda?

Title: Risorgimento
Author: Sue S.
Rating: PG-13

According to the dictionary, "risorgimento" is "any period or instance of rebirth or renewed activity; a resurgence." This takes place during "The Phoenix". It was written to incorporate some ideas that got tossed by the wayside from another story (Brakelight Confessional). DJ hated to see them go and kept begging me to bring them back. Which is my way of saying this is all her fault.

Many, many thanks to everyone who contributed lawyer jokes when I begged for them. Now you know why I asked. wink Kudos to DJ for suggesting the title (after we spent way too much time combing through legal terms for something clever she pulled that one out of somewhere). I can never thank DJ enough for all the time, support, advice and snark that she gives me. I'm so lucky to have found her (though Dr. Friskin says it's co-dependancy and I must quit lurking outside her house).

For DJ. One down and four to go. <g>

<><><>
Part 1/3
<><><>

"Why don't sharks eat lawyers?" Lois asked.

Clark let out a soft groaning chuckle as he answered. "Professional courtesy."

Lois tipped her head back against the couch and shook it slowly in bored frustration. They had been telling each other lawyer jokes, killing time as they watched Bender's yacht in the marina. Downtown Metropolis glittered across the river as she sought out and found the MetroDome - the venue for the concert they were supposed to have been at that night.

"Okay, here's one," Clark said. "Why does California have all the lawyers while New Jersey has all the toxic waste?"

"That's easy. New Jersey got to pick first." Lois tossed her crust into the open pizza box on the coffee table in front of them and then risked another sideways peek at Clark. She couldn't seem to banish the memory of his silhouette strip tease from her mind. Especially when he was sitting next to her in a t-shirt whose sleeves were stretched tight by his biceps. Bobby's words from yesterday echoed in her head.

<"What? You think it's a big secret that Clark here has been mooning over you?">

Was Clark really mooning over her? He had quickly denied it, but the thought that Clark might harbor feelings deeper than friendship for her made her pulse race faster. He had asked her out, after all. Surely that counted for something slightly more sexy than just friends? It at least put her on a level field with Mayson Drake. Lois grinned to herself - Mayson wasn't here tonight and there was plenty of hay she could make before the sun shone again. Mayson had been at the heart of every lawyer joke she was telling Clark.

Lois nudged his arm with her elbow, simply to feel his skin against hers for the barest of seconds. "Did you know that scientists have started using lawyers instead of rats for their experiments?"

"Because they got too attached to the rats?" Clark offered dryly.

"Because there are some things a rat won't do," she countered.

"No, it's because no one has protested about using lawyers."

Her stomach made a pleasurable drop from the smile he gave her. Sometimes Clark smiled at her like she was his favorite person in the whole world. Suddenly flustered, she shifted her focus to watch the light on Bender's boat. "This has been the weirdest day," she muttered.

"Seeing Luthor again?" Clark guessed.

"Yes," she said softly. "He's... different, now. Like maybe they reanimated his body, but not his soul." She shook her head, trying to forget the intensity in Lex's eyes as he spoke to her. "It's like he's hardened now or maybe he was always like that and I just didn't see it before. It was creepy, Clark. He really seemed to think that I was going to come running back to him."

Clark closed his eyes in frustration. He could only hope that Luthor was going to show up on Bender's boat. "Do you think he's stalking you?"

She sighed. "Maybe. I sort of got that vibe from him. He was in disguise both times I spoke to him. Which makes me wonder how many other times he's been hanging around that I didn't know it was him. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll visit Bender and they can actually arrest him this time." Lois shivered at the thought of confronting Lex again and unconsciously moved a little closer to Clark. "It's scary to think that he's out there, somewhere, lying in wait or whatever the heck he's up to. I just don't want him in my life."

Clark opened his eyes and stared at Bender's boat. Thinking about Luthor stalking Lois made his stomach twist sharply. He frowned at the boat and silently hoped along with her that Luthor would show up. His fingers curled in anticipation of delivering him to the closest police station.

They sat quietly, each lost in their own thoughts until Lois said, "Hey, Clark. How do you get a group of lawyers to smile?"

The corner of his mouth twitched in a smile. "How?"

"You ask them to say 'fees'."

He let out a soft laugh and looked over his glasses at the boat outside. Bender was lying in bed reading. The man had changed into his pajamas and was obviously turning in for the night. Clark felt the tentative nudge of Lois' head against his shoulder. A flare of heat shot through him, settling low in his belly when she gave in and let her head rest gently against him.

"What do you call five lawyers at the bottom of the West River?" Her voice had become softer and slightly slurred with sleepiness, sending a different kind of longing through him. What if she fell asleep here? Next to him?

"Mmm? What?" he asked, even though he knew the punchline. He just wanted to hear the drowsiness of her words.

"A good start," she said and half-giggled. "But tonight I'd settle for just Bender."

"Yeah," he agreed softly. He closed his eyes again, savoring the trusting weight of her head on his shoulder. With his eyes closed he could see the outline of her body on the door again. This was so much better than any date. They had been on stakeouts before, but it had never felt like this before. Tonight it felt... intimate. It was a delicious to imagine that they were really together, that they sat on the couch every night like this. Clark gave in and pretended that it was real, that they were here for a romantic weekend and not to watch Bender. She'd slip closer and closer to sleep and then she would kiss him and whisper sweet promises if he'd carry her to bed...

"You can turn in now," he said, trying to push away the erotic bent of his thoughts. "Take the bed in there. I'll stay out here."

"Nope, I'm good." Lois reached over and smoothed the pad of her thumb over the back of his hand, tracing the ridge of his knuckles. He had such nice hands. They were graceful and sure - and she had wasted far too much time lately watching him type and gesture as she had tried to revise the innocent touches he had given her in the past into something more.

Her soft touch sent another, stronger, ripple of heat through him. He turned his hand, lacing his fingers with hers to stop the gentle torture. "What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?" he asked.

"What?"

"One is a bottom-dwelling scum-sucker and the other is a fish."

She laughed, tightening her fingers on his. "Would you be disappointed if I told you that I'm glad we didn't go to the concert?"

"Really?" He squeezed her fingers back.

"Sure. That would have been loud and crowded and..." she shrugged. "I think I like this better." Her cheek absently rubbed against his arm.

"Me, too," he admitted softly.

"Some guys try too hard, you know. Lex actually flew me to Paris for dinner once to try to impress me."

"Did it work?"

"Well, I guess I was impressed. But it was kind of weird. I mean, talk about pressure. Most guys expect a kiss just for a simple dinner."

"What did a trip to Paris get him?" he teased.

She blushed and let go of his hand, her head lifting away from him. "A kiss on the cheek."

Clark smiled. "If I flew you to Paris, would you give me a kiss on the cheek?"

Lois blinked, caught by the thought of walking the streets of Paris hand-in-hand with Clark. "Are you offering? 'Cause I might kiss you on the cheek just for the pizza."

His dark eyes met hers, sparkling mischievously. "I'd fly you anywhere you wanted for a kiss on the cheek."

She looked up at him, thrilled at the thought of actually kissing him. He was so close. He had been so close all night. He was so comfortable to be around. He was just so... Clark. And he had practically just dared her to kiss him. She leaned closer and touched her lips lightly to his cheek. Through her eyelashes she saw his eyes close. The gesture went through her like fire. Her hand moved to his cheek to turn his face ever-so-slightly to hers before she pressed her lips softly against his. His lips parted and she pulled back, nervous and excited by her own daring.

His hand came to the back of her head and he leaned forward for a better taste of her. Lois let out a soft moan when he caught her lower lip between his. He tangled his fingers in her hair and teased her mouth, brushing the softness of her inner lip with the tip of his tongue.

This time her groan was more like a sound of surrender. She bunched his t-shirt in her hand, tugging him closer so she could increase the pressure of her mouth against his. He kept one hand in her hair and the other dropped to her shoulder, left bare by her tank top. His fingers stroked lightly over her skin, soothing and inflaming her in the same motion.

Lois relaxed into the dreamy, sensual rhythm of his kiss. Her tongue found his and he let out a moan, opening his mouth more fully to her. Her fingers loosened their hold on his shirt to slide over the well-worn cotton and the solid curves underneath.

For a minute longer he held her to their kiss before he gently pulled back so they could both catch their breath.

"What about somewhere closer?" she gasped.

"Hmm?" He angled his head for another quick kiss.

"Somewhere closer." She tipped her head back slightly to stall him, letting out a giddy sigh that he obviously wasn't done kissing her yet. "Because, unless Perry is paying you more than me, you can't afford to fly me to Paris on a whim."

"Maybe I could get you bus fare to South New Troy." His hand moved to cup her cheek and his thumb stroked over her lower lip. It had been one thing to kiss her as Superman or as a ruse while on assignment. This - this was everything he had ever wanted. In fact, he wasn't entirely sure this wasn't just a really good dream.

"You could probably afford the train to Boston if you'd stop buying concert tickets for Jimmy," she teased.

When he laughed the heat of his breath on her lips made her lean forward to kiss him again. He responded eagerly, his mouth parting to allow her tongue entrance.

Clark uttered his own soft moan of surrender and began to ease back, bringing her along with him. All at once the sole purpose of his life was simply to feel the weight of her on top of him again. She came willingly, letting out a contented hum as she settled atop him. Their kisses grew in intensity as both of them gave in to the rush of excitement. His hand stroked slowly up and down her spine, echoing the gentle to and fro of his tongue in her mouth.

Lois' hands combed through his hair, along the line of his jaw and over the firm muscles of his chest as his lips chased hers. She couldn't stop touching him, couldn't stop herself from wanting more. She shifted on top of him just to gauge her effect on him. Clark let out a muffled groan as her hip pressed intimately against him. She moved again and her foot bumped the coffee table, knocking the binoculars to the ground.

"Oops," she giggled. "I guess we're not doing a very good job of watching Bender."

"He's still over there," Clark murmured against the base of her throat.

"How can you be sure? You didn't even look." Lois nipped at his earlobe, wanting to taste him everywhere.

"I was listening." His words ended in a small moan as she panted near his ear and he fantasized about other ways he could leave her breathless.

Her giggle turned into a laugh. "I had no idea you were this good at multitasking, Clark."

"Mmm. How many lawyers does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

"I don't know. How many?" She paused in kissing along his jaw and lifted her head.

"Just one. He holds the light bulb and the world revolves around him."

Her eyes crinkled in amusement. "Are you multitasking again?"

"Yep." He gave her a lopsided smile and she couldn't resist kissing his cheek where a dimple was beginning to form.

His eyes closed again and it sent the same molten sensation through her. This was Clark! Clark, her partner and friend. Suddenly, everything seemed to be happening much too quickly. She should get up and leave now before he lost what little respect he might still have for her. Only she didn't want to leave him, not yet.

Lois compromised and nestled between Clark and the back of the couch. She stretched out alongside him and he moved over a little accommodate her. Her cheek came to rest against his heartbeat as his fingers stroked over her shoulder, tracing barely-there patterns on her skin. She let out a contented sigh and closed her eyes, wishing that, somehow, she could spend every night exactly like this. Her hand smoothed along his chest, detecting his ribs and then lingering at a small bump. She teased at it absent-mindedly, then realized it was his nipple and stopped. Her cheeks burned as she wondered if he thought she had been doing that on-purpose.

Was it the same sensation for him as it would be if he had touched her like that? She let out a small, involuntary moan when his thumb circled over her shoulder and she imagined that same gentle caress somewhere else.

Clark cleared his throat softly, trying to distract himself from kissing her some more. He wasn't entirely sure he would be able to stop if he kissed her again. "So this man is driving home one day when he sees a priest walking along the side of the road. He stopped and offered him a ride. The two of them are chatting when the driver sees a lawyer at the side of the road."

"How does he know the guy's a lawyer?" Lois asked just to be contrary.

Clark let out a mock sigh of irritation. "They're neighbors. So he sees the lawyer and he pushes the accelerator to the floor and steers the car towards him. At the last possible second he remembers that the priest is in the car and he veers away from the lawyer. Except it's too late and there's this loud 'whap!' and when he looks in the rear view mirror the lawyer is lying on the ground. The man turns to the priest and says, 'I'm sorry, Father!' And the priest turns to the man and says, 'That's okay, I got him with the door.'"

Lois groaned and smacked his shoulder lightly. "That's terrible!"

"Terrible? No. Terrible would be asking you what lawyers use for contraception."

She laughed and shook her head. "Do I want to know?"

"Their personalities."

Her laugh tickled against his chest and he kissed the top of her head as his hand rounded over the soft bare skin of her shoulder. He knew - just knew - that she would be that smooth and warm everywhere. At this moment he would trade any of his abilities to be able to touch more of her. Or to have her touch him again like she had earlier. For a few glorious moments he had been sure she was trying to seduce him until she had abruptly stopped caressing his chest. He hadn't said a word, not wanting to spook her into leaving.

Lois wanted nothing more than to fall asleep in his arms like this - or to kiss him again. But what would that do to them and their friendship? If this was an almost-date she should have only almost-kissed him. "I guess I should go now," she offered, hoping that he would suggest she should stay.

His hand stilled on her shoulder. "Okay."

Lois sighed. Having made the suggestion, she couldn't backtrack now. Her mind raced, looking for an excuse to prolong the moment. "I might be too tired to make it to the bedroom." She winced at how feeble and stupid the words were.

More than anything he wished he could just hold her for a few seconds more. She was going to stand up and walk away now and he couldn't bear it. "Here," Clark said and rolled to the edge of the couch. He gathered her into his arms and then stood up before she could protest.

"Oh, Clark," she murmured and put her arms around his neck.

He cradled her against him and walked slowly towards the bedroom as he inhaled the faint scent of her shampoo. She had buried her face in his neck and her breath was warm on his skin. His body throbbed with the need to keep her there and hold her forever. He could just stand there all night and let her sleep like this, couldn't he? She was half-asleep now and the utter trust she was showing him had banished nearly every lascivious thought.

All too soon he had come to the door. He hesitated for a moment longer, then gently set her on her feet. "Here you go - door-to-door service." He couldn't seem to take his hands away from her, letting them rest low on her hips.

Lois looked up at Clark, her heart beating faster at the tender expression on his face. She should stop touching him now - she knew that. She just couldn't pull her hands away from his chest. "Thanks, Clark."

He caught his breath at how beautiful she was. His lips parted in anticipation of kissing her - just once more. Don't kiss her, he cautioned himself. Don't push your luck. Don't ruin it.

"Well..." he said with a shy smile.

"Well," she replied, hating herself because, in a few seconds, she was either going to have to leave him out here or end up looking like she was far too easy by trying to kiss him again. Without the heels that she usually wore around him, she only came up to his chin. Somehow that knowledge made her feel woozy. There was more to Clark than she had given him credit for - he was taller, a better kisser, funnier... even his gentleness was a revelation. Not that she hadn't thought he was all those things before - she had. Tonight was just different somehow.

Lois swayed forward and her forehead came to rest against his chest. Her arms moved of their own volition to hug him as she inhaled the cleanly masculine scent of him. His arms closed around her, holding her to the hug. She felt his cheek come to rest against the top of her head and she let out a happy sigh. She squeezed her eyes shut tightly and wished that this moment could go on forever. His hand smoothed down her spine, setting off little sparks of need in its wake. Lois bit her lip as she wavered. Just one more kiss - surely that would be okay? No - time to end this while she still could. She reluctantly pulled away from him, leaning back against the door for support instead.

Clark bent his head, pressing his lips gently against her forehead in the softest of kisses. "Good night, Lois," he said in a voice that had suddenly gone husky.

"Good night, Clark." Her voice was equally as thick. She gave him one last wistful smile and opened the door.

<><><>

Lois laid in bed, too restless now to sleep. She could scarcely believe that she had kissed Clark so thoroughly. What must he think of her now? Was he even thinking of her now? It would be nice if he was lying on the couch out there and thinking about her. She suspected he was probably watching Bender and wondering how in the heck he was going to politely get out of going on an actual date with her.

It had been a year since he had told her he loved her in an effort to keep her from marrying Lex. Even though she knew he hadn't really meant it, she found she still remembered the way the words, "I love you" had sounded coming from him. If only he could say those words and actually mean them.

She glanced over at the frosted glass of the bedroom door but there was no indication that he was even still awake out there. The lights were off and it was quiet. She absently-mindedly touched her lips, lost in the remembrance of what kissing him had felt like. Lois let out a happy humming noise and then, without quite meaning to, she whispered his name, "Clark."

She knew he couldn't hear her and she giggled softly, loving the way the name sounded, especially when she was lying in soft sheets and wearing a tanktop that faintly smelled of him. It didn't take too much imagination to pretend that he was in the bed with her. "Clark," she murmured again, savoring the feel of his name on her tongue. "Clark Kent."

<"Oh god, this is exactly why we shouldn't go out.">

There were so many reasons not to date a co-worker. So many reasons not to date anyone at all. There were so many ways to hurt and be hurt that it boggled her mind just to consider them. And yet - standing there as he hugged her good night - it had felt so natural. So right, even. Any other man would have pushed to go further on the sofa. But not Clark. He had chastely kissed her forehead at the door and left it at that.

What was up with that? Why hadn't he tried to take things further? God knows, she was perfectly willing to go along with a little bit more. Lois frowned at that realization. He had addled her brain. Two glasses of champagne and a little necking and she was a goner.

"Oh my god," she whispered to herself, "what have you done to me, Clark? I'm falling in love with you."

For a moment she trembled at the sheer rightness of those words. Then she rolled over, clutching the pillow closer to her so she could groan his name at the futility of it all. Please, she thought, let Bobby be right. Let him be mooning over her right now.

In the next room Clark laid wide-eyed on the sofa, staring at the nighttime shadows on the ceiling.

<><><>
End 1/3
<><><>

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis