M
Julie, this was so sweet! I loved it. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#41321 04/03/07 12:14 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Wonderful! I laughed out loud at "give God a piece of my mind" because it's just SO Lois to plan to go kicking and fighting into the hereafter.

And then, "I think I might keep this mouth of mine after all," was a perfect final note.

I missed the DVD last year by a few weeks, I think, so I'm so excited to see these stories finally being posted. Great job!

C.

#41322 04/03/07 06:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ahhh!! Sych a cute story. Poor Lois, that mouth of hers just wouldn't say what she wanted... or did it?

thumbsup

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#41323 04/04/07 06:45 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I loved this story. How do you people write such short stories? Mine run on for ages - I should know - everyone complains.

They’re supposed to be talking about the Church case, but they’re not. I can tell. The Church case is not that funny.
Ha ha ha. I can so see her thinking this. "They shouldn't be laughing + Church case not that funny = flirting!!!" I love it! Great way to start.

I go back to typing. ‘As well as the police, a statement was issued-‘

“-by this little park, they serve the best desserts.”
I have a mental image of Lois typing away and because she is listening in on their conversation, typing parts of their conversation in as well into the story.

She’s talking about desserts. Bill Church doesn’t own a restaurant. Not one I’d go to, if he did, anyway.
You did it again. I love it when people show how logic works in people's brains. Not many writers do it. You read mystery novels and crime fiction, don't you? You must do or you'd never put this in as often as you do. (See, there's they way logic works in my brain for you!)

Just as I turn to say something, I see Mayson walk over, swishing her blonde mane of straw. “Hey, Clark, I’m going out to lunch now. Want to join me?” she asks with a falsely hesitant smile. I sneer inwardly.

And that’s when I snap. “Clark is busy,” I say firmly.

He shoots me a warning look. “Sorry, Mayson, no – we have some work to do here,” he then says to her. She looks disappointed.

“Oh, well, it’s okay. Tomorrow, then, maybe?” She sounds hopeful.

I crush her hopes before he says anything. “No, sorry, he’s busy tomorrow too.”

She looks at me, puzzled, and then looks at him again.

Clark is looks ticked. Maybe at me, maybe at her. Probably a bit of both. Okay, probably me. He searches for words and then says, “It looks like we’re having a busy week, but we’ll see.” He wears an apologetic expression.
Ok, long quote sorry. But I love, absolutely love the bit about Mayson's hair. This whole Clark goes for blondes thing really ticks her off. It works because you know Lois knows that she is gorgeous and intelligent but that she can feel insecure over something like the possibility that the men she wants would rather have someone else who is different to her in a way that she has less control over. Like one could dye one's hair or change clothes but Clark going for blondes or blondes going for Clark seems to suggest to her that he wants a completely different kind of package than what she is. Something she has no control over and so she is insecure.

And also I love the fact that she is clearly jumping in and marking territory and that she knows Clark will go along with her even though he'll get angry with her for doing it and that she is taking advantage of it.

He looks shocked. “Flirting? Is that what you think? Interviewing females is now called flirting?”
Actually, if I were Lois (good thing I am not because I would have been dating Clark already if I was) but if I were her at this point I would have turned around and informed him that it's amazing what people construe as flirting these days. I have been told that if I laugh at another man's jokes, it can be seen as flirting. Talking to another man can be flirting when you are spoken for. Makes dealing with the opposite sex rather difficult?

“Conference room,” he says quietly, and leads me there.

I imagine the whole newsroom is looking at us as we make our way.

Once we’re in the privacy of the conference room, Clark lets go. I feel a little chilly. He looks at me. “Okay, the blinds are down, we’re out of their sight. What’s wrong?”
I love this bit because it shows how much he knows, how well he can read the situation and her, how in tune they can be to each other. Sadly though it is so easy to hurt another person when you are closest to them - you know where to hit and when.

“Lois.” He gives me one of his I-know-you-and-don’t-you-try-to-pretend-I-don’t looks.
I wish we could somehow reproduce exactly the way Clark says her name when he gives her that look because it is just awesome.

I sense him stepping closer to me, and before I can do anything about it he tilts my chin up with his fingers and... kisses me. For real. Hard. I breathe hard; he caught me off guard.

My eyes close, and a couple of tears run down my face into my – our – mouths.
Go, Clark! Go, Clark! *does cheerleading dance* At least he did the right thing there. And kudos to you for not failing to describe reality there with what happens to the tears and all because she was crying before etc. clap

And I love that she tells him to shut up at the end. That is awesome. Way to go.

clap

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
#41324 04/04/07 07:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a sweet story! <WAFFy sigh> I loved it. thumbsup

Thank you for sharing it with us. It put a smile on my face. smile

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#41325 04/04/07 07:37 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a wonderful, sweet, WAFFy story.
“What’s bothering me is that you’re my best friend and I’m not supposed to have feelings for you but I do, and if I do anything about them I put our friendship and partnership at risk and I can’t do that, because I can’t stand to lose you, and the more I try to tell myself that I don’t have feelings for you, the stronger they get, and every time I convince myself that I don’t have them I see you and I get butterflies in my stomach and I feel like I’m fifteen again! And then you touch my arm or my shoulder and I get shivers down my spine, and... and... I didn’t ask for this and I hate this!” I didn’t know I could speak this fast.
drool Oh, uh, yeah. FDK. Love the kiss.
I think I might keep this mouth of mine after all.

“Shut up,” I whisper back and, wrapping my arms around his neck, pull him down again.
Love the last line. It could read that she's telling Clark to shut up or that she's instructing her own mouth to quit while they are both ahead.

Thanks for sharing,
BJ

#41326 04/04/07 09:03 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great fic!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#41327 04/04/07 11:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wonderful! Beautiful!
notworthy notworthy notworthy

~•~
#41328 04/04/07 02:18 PM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww, I love her big mouth. wink So sweet!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#41329 04/06/07 12:37 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you, guys! You've made my week with your comments. smile smile smile

The Little Tornadoe, I actually don't read detective/mystery novels as such... <g> although I suppose I've read a few mysteries. I mus just have a speculative mind. wink And thank you for your insight on the story! Yes, it cerainly is hard to talk to the opposite sex today without giving them the wrong idea. *sigh* We try. smile1

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#41330 04/06/07 07:38 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sorry I haven't posted feedback yet. But ditto to what everyone said and what everyone quoted! Such a funny story, and what a lovely ending!

Ann

#41331 04/07/07 03:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry I missed this when you posted it, Julie! But at least I caught up with it now.

And this is just like all the rest of your writing these days (when you do actually finish anything and post it!) - so, so good. Writing in the DW fandom has really been good for you! goofy

Loved this - so typical Lois, jealous yet pretending she isn't, and Clark so oblivious. And then the classic Lois babble, where stuff she never intended to say just escapes. thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#41332 04/07/07 04:19 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aww! That was so sweet! And I have a job interview tomorrow, so I'm tense and nervous right now anyway, so I felt this sort of mental kinship with Lois being stressed out in this story, lol. blush

But, I too loved the last line and Lois' long streams of babble. So funny and so Lois. smile1

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#41333 04/15/07 04:09 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Nice one, Julie. Sorry I'm so late on leaving feedback, but I swear I'm going to read everything out here. Promise.

Anyway, cute story. Lois makes the first move, even though she doesn't plan on it. Anger does strange things to people.

Elisabeth

#41334 05/01/07 07:34 PM
Columnist
Columnist
ooh I just read it!!
Lovely story!! wink

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard