From Last time:

"Maybe we should have eloped," he joked.

"Yeah," she replied longingly.

"I'm joking. Probably not the time for jokes, but..."

"I'm not," she said.

His hands on her shoulders he turned her around so she was facing him. He took her hands in his. There was a look of confusion on his face, and he gazed at her intently, as though he were searching for an explanation of her words.

"We should have been married by now," she said. "And I'm tired of things keeping us apart. We have the license, let's just run off somewhere and elope."

"What about the..."

"The wedding?" she finished for him. "I've never cared about the wedding part, Clark. Just the being wed."

"I don't want to do this because we're both afraid this is goodbye. I don't want us to rush into this because we're afraid that we don't have a future together, because I'm going to come back."

"I know you are," she said. "I'm not suggesting this because I don't think you will. I want to recite my vows to you and I want you to know that I mean it when I say that I'm going to wait for you. I want to marry you now because you're coming back."

"You don't have to recite vows to make me believe," he said quietly. "In my heart, I am your husband."

"And I'm your wife," she replied, her voice wavering. "Please, Clark," she whispered as she placed her head against his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"There shouldn't be tears on our wedding night," he replied roughly.

"What if I promise not to cry?" A weak laugh covered the breaking of her voice.

"What if I can't make the same promise?" he whispered.

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes and bit her lip. Lois could see the emotions he was trying to check. They kissed softly.

"This is crazy," he murmured.

"So was bringing back Ultrawoman," she quipped in response.

"You're insane."

"Sanity's a one-trick pony, pal." It was distancing, she knew, but joking made it easier to deal with the pain. "Crazy keeps you on your toes."

He chuckled softly and held her tighter. "And you've never failed to do that. But are you sure you want to do this?"

"I am," she replied simply. "I want to marry you. I don't want to wait, or plan. I just want to marry you."

"So where do we find someone registered to perform weddings in the State of New Troy at ten seventeen on a Tuesday night?" he asked with a lopsided smile.

Part 8

The elevator pinged and the doors slid open, startling him from his work. Who would be coming into the newsroom now? He rubbed his eyes and looked up from his desk. "What are you two doing here?" Perry asked. His two star reporters looked ill at ease as they walked hand in hand toward his office.

"We have a favor to ask of you," Clark replied.

"We want you to marry us," Lois explained.

"You want what?" Perry asked incredulously.

"We want you to perform our marriage, tonight," Clark added.

Perry arched a brow. "You're joking, right?"

"We aren't," Lois replied somberly. "We're dead serious, Perry."

"This is nuts!" Perry exclaimed. "Why in Elvis's name can't you two just wait until Saturday and do this thing properly?"

Clark seemed to give Lois a cryptic look before answering. "We can't. I can't explain it to you now, but Lois will. Later."

"Later when?" Perry demanded.

"Please," Lois pleaded with him. "If there were another way, we wouldn't ask, but we need your help."

Perry put his hands up in resignation. "You'll need witnesses,"

"My parents are on their way," Clark replied.

"How'd you talk them into this?" Perry asked, turning a skeptical eye toward the younger man.

"They don't know why we asked them to come down here," Lois admitted.

"Good grief," Perry replied.

Just then, the elevator doors opened. All three looked up to see Martha and Jonathan Kent exit, wearing matching looks of concern.

"Clark, honey, what's wrong?" his mother asked as she stepped out of the elevator and into the dimly lit newsroom. "What's going on?"

"We're in here, Mom," Clark called from Perry's office. Clark's parents looked around for a brief moment before regaining their bearings. They headed toward his office.

"Oh, hello, Perry," Martha said, as though surprised to see him.

"Good to see you, Martha, Jonathan," Perry replied.

"Nice to see you, too," Jonathan responded somewhat absently.

"Clark and Lois here can fill you the two of you in on what's going on. But let me say that this is the craziest thing I've ever heard from either of them, and that's saying a lot." Perry retreated from his office.

"We want Perry to marry us," Clark explained. "Now."

"We just don't want to keep letting circumstances dictate our lives to us," Lois added. "We've already waited so long."

"Perry's right," Jonathan said simply. "It is crazy."

Clark sighed in resignation. He felt Lois squeeze his hand.

"But we understand why," Martha added comfortingly. "It's not the wedding that we wished for you, but we aren't going to try to stop you. It's not like you wouldn't be able to find other witnesses." She managed a small smile.

"Thank you," Lois whispered. "And it's not like we didn't try the big fancy wedding," she added, her voice uneven. "It just didn't really take."

"Then it's settled," Jonathan replied. "Perry, why don't we get this show on the road?" he called to the editor.

"I take it cooler heads didn't prevail?" Perry asked as he re-entered his office.

"I'm afraid not," Jonathan replied.

Perry grunted. "Well then, where do we begin?" He stood in front of his desk. "Lois, Clark, why don't you two come over here." They did as he asked. Martha and Jonathan stood quietly off to the side, holding hands.

Clark never took his eyes off Lois. She wasn't wearing her white dress and he was without a tux. This wasn't the church, the rest of their family and friends weren't here, but they were finally going to get married. He smiled as he felt Lois slip her hand into his.

"Do you have the rings, Clark?" Perry asked.

He reached into the pocket of his slacks where the rings had been burning a hole for what seemed like quite some time. He handed them both to Perry.

"Well, let's see," Perry said with a frown, as though trying to remember how the ceremony went. Clark thought back to the last time they'd tried this, but firmly squelched the thought. This time, it would be for real.

"Dearly beloved," Perry began as he looked at the small group in the office. "We are gathered here to witness the union of Lois and Clark in holy matrimony. If there is anyone here who believes they should not be wed, speak now, or forever hold your peace." He paused briefly. "Well, then the vows. Clark?" Perry held the smaller of the rings out and Clark took it.

He felt the nervousness and the excitement beat back the lonelier feelings that had plagued him the last few days. His mouth was dry and his heart was pounding and all he could think about was how much he loved the woman standing beside him. "Lois," he began softly. "I have loved you from the moment that I saw you. I love your humor, your passion, and the way you just dive right in, even when you shouldn't. Because you refuse to just watch the world, you demand that it be a better place, and because of you... it is. I want to give you as much of the world as I can, so I give you my heart... my soul... our future." He slipped the ring on her finger. "I have loved you from the beginning," he said softly.

"Lois?" Perry held out the other ring for her.

"Clark, you're my best friend," she began, her eyes shining bright with emotion. "Until I met you I never had a best friend, and falling in love with you has been so easy, I don't know why I fought it so long. You have such gentle grace, and such quiet strength, and mostly... such incredible kindness. I've never known anyone with as pure a heart, and so I give you my love...my honor... and our life, together." She placed the ring on his finger. "I will love you 'til the end," she whispered. A tear slipped down her face and Clark hoped that it was a tear of joy. She smiled bravely at him.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife," Perry concluded.

Clark held Lois's face in his hands and kissed her gently. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back. It was a bittersweet kiss. It should have been the very beginning of everything, of their life together, but deep down, he felt the cold hand of fear grip his heart. He wanted to never hurt her, to never make her cry, but how could he live up to those hopes now? He looked down at her and smiled, hoping that the fear didn't show through, but then again, she could read him like a book.

"I love you," she whispered so that only the two of them could hear.

They stood together at her window, gazing out. His arms were wrapped around her. She took his hands in hers, interlacing their fingers and looked down at their joined left hands and the wedding bands on them. "It's all happening so fast," she murmured. "None of it feels real."

"This feels pretty real to me," he said as he turned her around and kissed her softly. "I love you," he whispered. "More than anything. You know that, right?"

"I do," she replied. "I love you, too." She closed her eyes and kissed him again, a soft, slow kiss, full of longing. It felt like they were both trying to convince themselves it was real. Lois turned to look back out the window. "So, which star is yours?"

"There." Clark pointed toward a tiny dot in the sky.

Lois followed his outstretched hand. "I see it." No doubt, the enhanced vision made it possible. She looked at him. "I'll watch it every night." She put her arms around his neck and kissed him again. This time, she let the emotions wash over her. She couldn't hold back any longer. Was there any reason not to let Clark see how much she needed him? Somewhere, deep down inside, she couldn't help but feel as though she was being selfish. By insisting that they get married, was she just making it harder for him to go? She hadn't wanted to think about it earlier, placing her needs above his. As soon as the unbidden thought crept into her mind though, it was washed away as Clark kissed her fiercely, passionately, causing her blood to burn like fire in her veins. She could hear his pulse thundering, his heart beating like a jackhammer in his chest. A nifty side effect of the powers she mused through a passion induced haze. Her breath caught in her throat as he bent down and hooked one arm behind her knees and with one arm around her waist, he lifted her up and carried her toward the bedroom.

He laid her down gently on the bed and sat down beside her. He brushed an errant strand of hair away from her face. "You are so beautiful," he murmured before bending down to kiss her. He kissed a slow trail from her lips down her jaw, along her neck and to the hollow of her shoulder, his very movements worshipful as he paid silent homage to her.

Clark looked at her with passion-darkened eyes and she could feel the heat radiating off of his body. She slowly began undoing the buttons on his shirt, eagerly searching out the warm, soft skin underneath. He tossed away the superfluous garment and she pulled him closer to her, splaying her hands against the muscles of his back. He seemed to rest his weight on her hesitantly, which caused her to smile. "It's all right, Clark," she said with laughter in her voice. "I'm not likely to break."

He managed a small laugh and smiled that lopsided smile of his that made her melt. Her hands trailed absently up and down the muscles of his back. His muscles bunched and flexed under her gentle ministrations as he slowly began removing the layers of clothing that remained between them. He lavished attention on every inch of newly exposed skin. She wondered how the simplest touch seemed to send a jolt of electricity down her nerve endings. Invulnerability had certainly done nothing to make her skin less sensitive. He spent an eternity tracing his fingertips over every curve, every hollow, every feature and she knew he was doing exactly what she was doing - trying to burn every detail into memory.

She let her hands wander over the muscled planes of his chest and stomach, his abs tightening reflexively in response to her touch. She floated upward, startling him, as he finished removing the last of their clothing. "Easier?" she asked.

"Yeah," he replied, having regained his balance and discarded the rest of the clothing. "Easier." One finger traced the curve of her collarbone and followed the line of her neck and came to rest under her chin, tilting her head slightly. His thumb brushed over her lips and she kissed the tip of his finger. He buried his hands in her hair and kissed her. She arched her back toward him, relishing in the feeling of his skin against hers, with no barriers between them. His kiss became more passionate, hungrier as he held her tightly to him.

She could hear both of their hearts beating wildly in uneven tempos. The sound grew louder, filling her head as their pulses came into sync, their hearts pounding in unison.

"Do you hear it?" he asked breathlessly.

"I hear it," she whispered. "I hear it." Her heart ached and she thought it might burst with love for this man. Desire clawed at her; her blood was racing in her veins, her skin burning at every point of contact, her breath caught in her throat. She moaned into his mouth, feeling as though she might die of pleasure.

A million thoughts swirled through her head. A million fears tugged at her soul, pulling her down. Thoughts of the morning to come, a morning she'd face without him and many more to follow. Fears of who knew how many nights when her only warmth and comfort would be the memories of this one. Memories she would cling to for as long as it took. Don't think, just feel, she tried to tell herself.

He tore his lips from hers to trail frantic kisses down her neck, along her jaw, up to her ear. "I love you," he whispered. "I love you."

And he did. She knew that. He loved her as much as she loved him and he would continue to love her. No amount of time, no distance, nothing, nothing in heaven or earth would change that. Every word, every touch, every look told her that. She felt her body tremble. What had she done to deserve being loved by such a remarkable man? Tears pricked at her eyes. Tears of joy, of sadness, of the indescribable pain of knowing what was to come, of rage at being powerless to stop it. She screwed her eyes shut, willing the tears not to come.

"Oh, Lois," he murmured, as he brushed an errant tear from her face. His breath was warm against cheek. She kissed him, desperately, breathlessly, trying to push out of her heart and her mind everything other than that moment.

They lay floating in a tangle of limbs several feet above the bed. She curled up beside him and he dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

"What time is it?" she murmured sleepily.

God, he loved the sound of her voice, the feel of her body stretched out next to his. She buried her head against his shoulder, letting him enfold her in his arms. "It's still early," he assured her. She sighed in apparent contentment, the sleeping angel caught in quiet repose in his embrace bore no resemblance to the ball of hell fire and iron nails she could be when she was awake. He'd fallen in love with both Lois Lanes - the crusading spitfire and the wonderfully vulnerable and tender woman she hid from everyone. Even him sometimes. He held her tightly, hoping that, maybe, if he held on tight enough, he wouldn't have to let go.

She stirred slightly and put a hand on his chest, over his heart. "I love you," she said softly, as though unsure of her own voice. She kissed him and he could taste the salt of her tears. He kissed her back with equal passion. Last night had been the most incredible night of his life. The reality had been much better than anything he could have imagined. And though he'd spent the entire night memorizing every amazing, tiny detail of her body and every sound, every quiet gasp and contented sigh, he couldn't get enough of her. He longed to--needed to--hold her, touch her, breathe her in, feel her heart beat against his. Just once more.

He knew that last night had made it so much more difficult for him to go. Better if you don't know what you're missing, he mused wryly. And he didn't care. He wouldn't have traded last night for anything in the world. Nothing could have made him regret it, or want to take it back.

Lois stood in front of him, smoothing the line of his cape. She stepped back and bit her lip. "You look good," she said in a low whisper.

"Thanks," he replied roughly. He managed a small smile. "You look pretty good, too," he said as he kissed her forehead. He enfolded her in his arms. "Are you ready?"

"No," she murmured. "There isn't enough time, there's never enough time."

"I know," he whispered.

Lois withdrew slowly and walked toward the bureau. She removed a pair of silver chains from a jewelry box. "I guess we can't wear the rings if we want to keep the wedding a secret," she said. "So I thought we could wear them on these instead." She gingerly removed the gold band from her left hand as though the very act caused her pain. She slipped the ring onto one of the chains.

Clark reluctantly did the same. He looked down at the inscription inside the band. "This is the most precious thing I own," he said softly as he held up the chain. "I want you to keep it for me."

Lois nodded and allowed him to put the chain around her neck. She held up the chain with her ring on it. "Keep it safe," she whispered.

"As safe as I keep my love for you," he replied, bowing his head so she could put the necklace on him. He held the little ring in his hand. "I will come back, and return this to where it belongs. 'I have loved you from the beginning,'" he repeated his vow inscribed in her ring.

"And I will love you 'til the end," she whispered.

TV and newspaper reporters filled the bullpen of the Daily Planet newsroom. Superman had announced the press conference only a few hours before, but it had taken the media no time to set up in preparation. Superman was always big news. Clark stepped up to the bank of microphones and took a deep breath. He looked out into the audience as camera flashes burst all around him. The cacophony of high-speed photo clicks seemed dull and distant to his ears.

He saw Lois, standing with his parents. She gave him a tiny, tremulous smile. Over the din of the newsroom, he could still focus on the sound of her heart as it pounded wildly in her breast. His mouth was dry and he swallowed roughly around the large mass that had formed in his throat. With the exception of an occasional, erratic camera flash, the newsroom went silent as he began to speak.

"Although I have always loved life here on Earth, and have called it my home, I have another home as well... one that needs me now." A low murmur rose up in the crowd. "But wherever I am, I'll carry the best of Earth with me," he continued. "I have asked Ultrawoman to watch over this world in my absence, and I am confident that you will all manage just fine. I ask each one of you to look to yourselves for the strength, decency, and compassion that I know each one of you has inside. Emerson said self-trust is the essence of heroism. Inside each of you is a hero. And so I leave, knowing that a world full of heroes has nothing to fear."

Clark stepped down from the microphones, and with long, purposeful strides, walked toward Perry and
Jimmy. He shook Perry's hand. "I'm counting on the Daily Planet to be the conscience of Metropolis."

Perry nodded gruffly. He paused for a moment before letting go of Superman's hand. Perry looked him in the eye and arched a brow slightly. Something had clearly dawned on Perry White and it didn't take Clark three guesses to figure out what it was. Clark gave him merely the faintest of nods in acknowledgement as they shared a look of understanding.

Clark turned toward Jimmy, and laid a hand on the younger man's shoulder. He'd wanted desperately to say goodbye to his friend as Clark, and not like this. He imagined that Lois would tell him the truth once he'd left and it became apparent that Clark wasn't around. She'd need his help as well as Perry's in maintaining a proper cover for his absence. But they'd decided it was something to be dealt with later; neither had wanted to confront the issue. So much of their thinking of late seemed guided by the desperate need to seize the day, to think for the present moment and not the ones to follow. Perhaps it was their way of balancing out an unknown future, a future they couldn't plan for. He looked down at his young friend, who was trying hard to keep the tears from forming. "Be a friend to Lois," he said simply, knowing the words would have far greater weight once Jimmy knew the truth.

"Of course. Um, Clark wanted to be here, but he's out covering the reaction to your speech," Jimmy managed.

It was a somewhat lame cover, Clark admitted to himself, but there'd been no time to devise anything better. "Well, Clark knows how I feel," Superman replied.

He turned away from his friends and walked towards Perry's office. Lois and his parents had slipped in there after he'd finished his speech. He found them waiting for him.

Clark looked at his parents, unsure how to tell them how grateful he was for everything they'd given him. He couldn't believe he was being forced to say goodbye to the people who had taken him in as an infant, raised him, loved him, and taught him what it meant to belong to something. No matter what was waiting for him on New Krypton, whatever links to his supposed heritage, he knew where his home was. He knew where his place was.

"You're the only parents I've ever known," he said softly. "The only parents I've ever wanted. Whatever good I bring to New Krypton will be because of you."

His mother began to cry and he hugged both of his parents tightly. "I love you," she whispered through her tears. He closed his eyes, feeling his heart break. He knew that if he had just a fraction of his mother's strength, courage, and wisdom, he'd have no problem bringing peace to an entire planet.

"You take care of yourself, son," his father said gruffly, his normally stoic voice thick with emotion. Clark nodded. He couldn't begin to count the number of lessons he'd learned from his dad, about life, love, doing the right thing, and just being a generous and decent human being. It was strange, but he felt exactly the way he did on so many occasions as a child. He looked at his father, hoping that he'd made him proud. Jonathan wasn't an overly emotional man, but the look on his face spoke volumes. The exchange between father and son may have been quiet, but he knew he had his father's love and support, and that like him, his father would be waiting anxiously for the day he would return.

Clark turned to face his wife, his mind cogitating over the word. It had very quickly become a favorite. Wife. There was something perfect, something permanent about it. He hadn't had enough of a chance to use it, he mused wryly. He approached her slowly. She was avoiding eye contact and he realized he was doing the same. How could he look at her, see the pain in her expression, and know that he'd put it there?

She finally raised her eyes to meet his. Her eyes were bright, but she seemed to have her emotions firmly checked. She amazed him sometimes. Well, most of the time, actually. He should have known never to underestimate Lois Lane and her seemingly endless reserves of courage and strength.

"Take care of them," he asked her, referring to his parents, knowing that she would. They would take care of each other. "Please."

Lois nodded slowly. She looked away again, but not a single tear threatened to fall. He was so thankful for her strength. He would need it. She reached under the collar of his costume and pulled out her wedding ring on the end of the chain. She'd only worn it for a night. One bittersweet, all too short night. But as he'd promised, he would return and replace it where it belonged. No matter what it took.

She tucked the ring back out of sight. "Don't forget me," she said softly.

"Lois..." he began, his voice uneven, taking her hands in his. He could never forget her. How could he forget the only woman he'd ever loved, the one who had made him feel a part of the world, the one who was his entire world? No matter what happened, the one thing he knew would never change was his love for her.

The door opened, Zara and Ching stood there waiting for him. They were dressed in their simple, black Kryptonian uniforms, somber looks upon their faces. Clark felt a brief, irrational flash of hatred for them cut through him. He wanted to hold a grudge against them, to despise them for what they were doing to him, what they were asking of him. Yet he knew that they were doing it to save an entire world, a world he didn't yet know, but one his birth parents had died saving. If they believed it was worth the sacrifice, he knew it was.

"It's time," Lois said slowly, her eyes met his with difficulty. He could see the determination in her face. In the worst of times, his wife displayed such grace and dignity it humbled him. Clark blinked away tears, unable to find any words that could possibly express how he felt, but then again, she knew. She had to know. Reluctantly, he let go of her hands and turned to follows Zara and Ching into the newsroom.

The two Kryptonians flew up to the windows on the second level and turned to wait for him. Clark followed them slowly, deliberately, taking off gently and flying toward the large window that had framed Superman's first appearance in the newsroom. It seemed like so long ago that he'd flown through those windows, an awestruck Lois Lane in his arms. He turned to look down at the crowd in the bullpen. Perry and Jimmy stood with the media, looking up at him with both pride and sadness in their expressions. He would miss them. He'd miss the Planet, just being able to come to work here every day among friends. He looked toward Perry's office, where Lois and his parents stood in the doorway. His father stood with his arm around his mother. Lois stood beside them, her head held high as she watched him float there.

Zara and Ching flew out the window one at a time. He watched them go. With one last glance, full of longing and pain, toward his wife, he turned and followed them.

Lois stared unblinkingly at the spot where he had just been, the tears finally spilling out. The stoic mask had crumbled; her bravado revealed for what it was. She nearly stumbled as she stepped back into the office. Her grief was private, and not something she intended to share with the world's news media. "It's over. Everything's over," she murmured through tears.

Martha and Jonathan stood one on either side of her. For all her newly acquired super strength, she felt as though her legs would buckle underneath her at any moment. She clung to them for support. "I shouldn't have let him go," she sobbed

"You two will find a way," Jonathan said softly. "Dearest Lois, a love that risks nothing is worth nothing." The words sounded hollow and distant to her. How could they find a way? How could she find a way to get through the next hour, the next minute? She couldn't breathe...her chest...it hurt so much...and she couldn't breathe...