Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, Ann, you can't lump Chloe in with Mayson and Lana Lang!

See, the reason we Smallville fans who love Lois and Clark, still ship Chlark is because Chloe is much more like the canon Lois Lane than Smallville's own Lois is. Everything I love about Lois is inherent in Chloe: the inveterate curiosity, the furious drive to succeed, the arrogance and underlying vulnerability, the incisive intuition that lets her make bizzare but accurate leaps of logic - it's all there. She's like a younger, peppier, less abrasive version of Teri's Lois. Miles Millar created her for Smallville because Clark needed a Lois-like sidekick, but DC wouldn't give them the rights to that character. So they came up with Chloe Sullivan to fill that void, which she did rather too well. Erica Durance does a great job as Lois, but she's too - Amazonian. Her femininity simply doesn't show, in my opinion. More than that, the writers seem hell-bent on mutilating her character just so she has an excuse to be a series regular. Smallville's Lois is a long way from the Mad Dog Lane we all know and love. What is one to do?

I loved Chloe so much, I wanted her to have a part in Woman In the Mirror, but I realized she'd be entirely superflous - our Lois was already there. So instead, I decided to take the dynamic between Chloe and Lois in Smallville, which is one of deep sisterly love and friendship, and bring in an Erica Durance-like figure to complement Lois. Guess who that is? =)

Anyway, I'm not going to write Smallville fanfiction. Am not, am not, am not!! That's the last thing I need, and involves way too much teen angst. I'm already getting my quota of that from the Harry Potter fandom. <g>

Thank you for the sympathy, Ann. Yes, things have definitely calmed down. No more coffee for me! And to think I hate Nescafe!

Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, I sympathize with your feelings, Hasini. But remember that I'm fifty-two years old, and there is a whole army of younger Anns inside me. There is thirteen-year-old Ann, and sixteen-year-old Ann, and twenty-year-old Ann, and twenty-five-year-old Ann, and thirty-year-old Ann, and... well, you get what I mean... and this army of Anns have been been hoping with all the might of their collective hopes not that Superman should get married, as such, or that he should find himself a woman, as such, but that he should get married to Lois. Try telling this army of Anns that hey, Clark has found himself a girl who is not Lois, but she is better than Lois, and wouldn't it be great if he could get together with her?

Guess what. The army of Anns could not be more unimpressed! razz

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
An army of Anns waving pitchforks at my blasphemy - now there's a hilarious image! rotflol Good one!

Um, no. Chloe isn't better than Lois. Chloe IS Lois. Let me see:

Smallville Lois < Chloe Sullivan = LnC Lois

Does that make sense?

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
To my army of Anns, Lois is equivalent to

1) Nineteen sixties comic book Lois:

[Linked Image]

2) Nineteen nineties comic book Lois:

[Linked Image]

3) Circa nineteen forties comic book Lois:

[Linked Image]

4) Teri Hatcher's Lois:

[Linked Image]

5) Margot Kidder's Lois:

[Linked Image]

6) Phyllis Coates' Lois:

[Linked Image]

7) I can even accept Kate Bosworth's Lois:

[Linked Image]

8) And then there is my own Lois, who I can't really show, but I guess this image will have to do:

[Linked Image]

But there are two persons who arent' Lois to my army of Anns:

[Linked Image]

Who is this?

[Linked Image]

And who is this?

Whoever these last two ladies are, they aren't Lois to my army of Anns. And they can never be.

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
rotflol rotflol rotflol

[Linked Image]

Whoever these last two ladies are, they aren't Lois to my army of Anns. And they can never be.
I think the problem is the Chloe on Smallville was created by folks who wanted the Lois Lane of L&C but couldn't have her.

But Chloe always lacked an edge because she was mooning over Clark from day one.

When they brought the Lois character in they played her very much like the Lois Lane of L&C in early Season 1, they also pulled a lot from the Comic versions of Lois.

Smallville had set Lana up with a new love interest and even had Lana comment on the chemistry between Lois and Clark.

I'm not bothered by how messed up the Smallville Lois is at times because EVERYTHING in Smallville is MUCH DARKER than on Lois & Clark.

SV Clark has done very very bad things, Perry White was an out and out drunk, and so on.

They are creating a Lois Lane that will have seen all Clark's blemmies and have been there for him. Likewise SV Clark has been there for Lois in spite of seeing her blemmies.

I sometimes think the Smallville producers are going out of their way to kick over the myths of our young people.

That instant connection is so often only lust and liking that is never allowed to develop into love.

The SV Lois and Clark will grow up and grow together. At their 5oth they will be telling folks that there was instant chemistry and trust but that getting past the barriers took years.

Young people between 15 and 25 change so much that it is like they become different people. SV Lois and Clark are growing up.

And I pity Mayson Drake if she met the SV Lois in a few years, she'd be eaten alive.

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
drool

They are creating a Lois Lane that will have seen all Clark's blemmies and have been there for him. Likewise SV Clark has been there for Lois in spite of seeing her blemmies.
The SV Lois and Clark will grow up and grow together. At their 5oth they will be telling folks that there was instant chemistry and trust but that getting past the barriers took years.
And this is different from LnC, how? I don't care about all the love/hate. I love that. It's just hard to take a character seriously when the writers keep marginalizing her, especially in comparison with the other two female leads.

And I pity Mayson Drake if she met the SV Lois in a few years, she'd be eaten alive.
That girl sure can kick butt, I'll give her that! Teri wasn't that convincing when it came to martial arts.

Okay. If we want to talk more about this, I'll gladly start a topic in the OT folder. But let's put a stopper on the SV stuff in the FDK threads, shall we? Before Labbie comes after us, waving her delete button threateningly? blush

EDIT: I was kinda hyped when I wrote this. It doesn't sound rude, does it? I never can tell. confused I just meant to sound hyper.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For those who are still interested, my English grade was an A minus. As was my History grade. I suppose I am very lucky to have got anything other than an F, considering I submitted my thesis late, but, well, if it hadn't been for that I would have got an A. That sounds pompous, but I know for a fact that nobody else wrote a thirty-five page dissertation from scratch. Twice.

And my History grade? I missed a two pop quizzes while I was sick. So I lost out on my 4.0.

This is calamitous! I have only my nerd-hood to commend me! If you take that away, what am I left with?! Nothing! A nobody! I am ruined! Ruined! whinging whinging whinging

Geez, Hermione Granger, much?

Right, all things OT stop now! We now return to our normal programming. blush

Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Just a note from a very devoted fan of this story: It's WONDERFUL! I've been following this board for a number of years, and I have not often read story segments, or a synopsis, that have so captivated me, and have seemed so well written (though I admit I am no expert).

I understand about RL and writer's block and such things, and how grades have to come first. But, speaking for myself and, I think, for all those who have posted above, we're waiting with bated breath here! If this were a novel, the first million or so copies would have already been pre-sold. hyper

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard