Chapter 26

It took about ten minutes for the pair to fly back to their apartment from the “stately Wayne Manor” of Gotham City, their more sinister sister of urban sprawl, across the bay and the state line. Lois had been unusually quiet, and Clark intuitively knew that she was ruminating over something – or someone, probably named Luthor - that was weighing heavily on her. Since it was nearly dawn, as they passed over the Olsen estate, Lois brightened up. “There’s LabRat, running around the yard. Let’s stop, Clark! Please?”

Clark looked down, seeing the golden pooch happily loping around the perimenter of James’ yard. “Do you think that’s a good idea, honey? He’s got freedom to run around and he looks happy,” he argued. “You don’t want to confuse him, do you?”

<Lex promised me I could have LabRat>, Lois thought to herself. “He’s going to see us tonight at the party anyway, Clark. I can’t explain it, but I need my dog right now,” she insisted. “Please?”

Lois’ beautiful big brown eyes captivated Clark, weaving a spell around him. “It’s very sad that with all of my abilities, the one that I don’t possess is the strength to say ‘no’ to you, Lois Lane,” Clark confessed, as he deliberately lowered them down to the ground.

LabRat’s ears perked up and his nose began twitching as Clark and Lois silently landed 100 feet behind him. He turned his head and began bounding towards his saviors. Lois leaped out of Clark’s arms; forgetting that her ankle was sprained, she attempted to run towards her dog and fell flat on the ground. Clark, chuckling, picked her up and floated her in the direction of the animated canine. As he approached his “mother”, LabRat aimed himself like a missile, jumping towards Lois’ chest. Upon contact, he began licking her face wildly. Lois reciprocated by kissing his soft golden head and hugging him fiercely. At that moment, Olsen’s security guards came riding up in their golf-cart like vehicle, as their sensors had alerted them to the presence of trespassers.

Clark flew over to them, leaving Lois and LabRat to their mutual admiration society activities.

“Superman. What a relief. James Olsen has us on high alert, since you left this dog with us,” one of the guards exclaimed, offering his hand to Clark in greeting.

Returning the handshake, Clark explained that his partner had a change of heart and wanted to bring the dog back home to their apartment after all.

“No offense, Superman, but it would help me out a lot if you would tell my boss that,” the guard replied. “You know, job security and all,” he added.

“I understand,” Clark said. “I’ll call him and leave him a message. Don’t worry, he’s *my* boss too!”

The man scratched his head. “Wow. Never thought of it that way. Superman actually has a boss. Huh.” He looked up and was surprised to see him already airborne, holding both the woman and the dog, heading in the direction of the island of New Troy, across the river.

The man picked up his cell phone and made a call. “Yes sir, they just picked up the dog, just like you predicted<pause> Heading towards the city <pause> Uh-huh <pause> Yes, will do, sir.”

~~~~~

Immediately upon arriving at their apartment, Lois headed towards the bedroom, with LabRat immediately hopping up on the bed. She removed all but her underwear, and quickly got under the covers. In a flash, Clark was lying alongside her, holding Lois gently in his muscular arms, while LabRat curled up in the well of their legs. He wasn’t quite sure what was churning inside of Lois’ head, but if a group hug was what she needed right now, he was more than happy to comply. His fine-tuned hearing picked up the sobs that Lois was gallantly trying to suppress. He had never felt so helpless in his life.

Lois fell into a deep sleep, so Clark took the opportunity to leave James a message on his answering machine that they had a change of heart and couldn’t bear to part with the dog, and they would see them tonite for the cookout. He then flew the Kryptonite soil sample to Star Labs. Landing on Bernie Klein’s balcony, he spotted the scientist hard at work in his laboratory.

“Clark! I’ve been waiting for you. Do you have it?” Klein asked excitedly. Clark observed that Bernie was like a kid on Christmas morning when he had something new to research.

“Yes, it’s in this lead box. We believe that Luthor Corp is using Kryptonite for DNA research, including creating – clones,” Clark disclosed.

Bernie’s eyes lit up. “Clones? Really? How fascinating.”

“Not when it involves Lois, Bernie. Lois just found out some very troubling information and she’s not coming clean with me about all of it. Do you remember Tempus?”

“The guy that unmasked you in front of everyone? Sure I do. Why?”

“Well apparently that wasn’t his first time in this world. He’s been wreaking havoc for Lois and me for years, now, and apparently he partnered up with Luthor as well. They were both responsible for Lois’ kidnapping. Tempus told him where my ship landed. Luthor’s been a landowner in Smallville under an obscure limited partnership for years. I think he’s been refining Kryptonite particles for a long, long time, Bernie. And possibly DNA –infused clones to grow a super army of canines- possibly mindless super-clones. I’m betting that I wouldn’t stand a chance against them,” Clark said ruefully.

“Let me analyze this and I’ll call you ASAP on your cell phone, Clark. Try not to worry – I live for this stuff,” Bernie said with confidence. “If there’s a cure for Kryptonite poisoning, I’m going to find it. If he can’t kill you with this stuff, it takes away the appeal.”

The two men shook hands, and Clark flew back to the apartment, where Lois and LabRat were still out cold. He put on a pot of coffee, and snuggled back under the covers with his new “family”.

~~~~~

“Labby, you be a good dog,” Lois said, kissing the retriever’s soft head. “We’re going to this stupid family cookout and I’ll make an excuse to leave early,” she promised.

Clark was amazed at how attached Lois was to this dog, who definitely filled some type of void in her life – one that even he couldn’t fill, apparently. “Honey, I know you don’t want to go to this gathering – but it *is* your family, and *our* boss,” he implored.

“Smallville – I know, but my Dad and his ‘twife’ – well there’s not a lot of love lost there – and this stepsister of mine –“

“Chloe?”

“Yeah. I’m not in the mood to have a stepsister.”

Clark chuckled. “It’s not something you get in the mood for, Lois – it’s a reality and honestly, she reminds me a lot of what you must have been like at her age – ambitious and aggressive. And you seemed to like her just two days ago – remember?”

“Gee, thanks for reminding me.” Lois walked slowly towards Clark. The swelling on her ankle had gone done a bit, but it was still painful to put too much pressure on it. Clark offered his arms in order to lift her up. “Okay, okay, let’s get this shindig over with,” Lois said resignedly. “I have two very important interviews to write up when we come back, you know!”

“And don’t forget that we’re partners, or your name doesn’t go on the story about the school lockdown,” Clark teased. He wrapped his cape around Lois to prepare for the short flight back to James’ house. Noticing the paparazzi stationed at street level, Clark whispered, “Hold on, honey, you’re going to need to comb your hair again if we’re going to elude your friends down there.” Floating them through the open balcony windows, Clark took off so fast that they were momentarily invisible. Protected from the G-force by the crimson cloth, Lois held her breath and closed her eyes.

“Ok honey, relax now,” Clark breathed in Lois’ ear. She opened her eyes, seeing that they were almost at James’ house already.

“Put me down away from the house so I can try to fix my hair, okay?” Lois asked, pulling a mirror out of her handbag as soon as they landed.

Clark held the mirror as Lois combed her hair and re-applied her makeup. “Well, for someone who doesn’t want to be here, honey, you’re getting quite glammed-up.”

“A girl always has to look good, no matter what, Smallville,” she replied, momentarily forgetting her personal woes and gifting Clark with an ear-to-ear grin.

“It’s good to see you smile, Lois. I’m worried about you. Please consider telling me everything, honey. I know there’s more to this whole Luthor interview than you’re telling me.”

“Clark, some people think I’m impulsive and head-strong. And that is a part of who I am. But when I am in a situation that can cause harm to people I love – I take my time and think things through. And it *is* my prerogative to try to protect *you*, just like you like to take it upon yourself to protect *me*,” she said flatly. “Don’t be such a male chauvinist.”

“Ouch,” Clark replied, reaching for Lois’ hand. Side by side, they silently walked up the long brick sidewalk to the Olsen mansion.

Before they reached the door, Lucy came charging out of the house. “Lo, you’re here. You didn’t blow us off! Thank God.”

The two women hugged. “You look so great, Lo. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks, Luce. By the way, did your security guards tell you that we came and took our dog back this morning?”

“Security guards?” Lucy said. “When did you see them?”

“We came around dawn, and LabRat was running around your property. As soon as we landed, they came riding up in a golf-cart,” Clark explained. “One of the guys asked me to let James know that we came and took the dog. I left a message on your answering machine, but I was sure the guard would tell you guys. He seemed really worried about it.”

Lucy turned white. “Uh-oh. Unless I’ve had a total miscommunication with my husband, I didn’t know that our security guards drove around the property in little golf carts. Well, I guess I don’t need to know everything James does, do I?” she said, trying to cover up her discomfort.

“He’s a busy man, Lucy. I’m sure he didn’t want to alarm you. The guard said that James had hired them after we dropped off the dog to make sure no one tried to dognap him,” Clark informed her. “I’ll double check with James when we get inside.”

“Okay, thanks Clark,” Lucy replied. “Lo - Dad, Teri, and Chloe are here already. Chloe’s so very excited to have you for a stepsister.”

“Yeah, just great,” Lois replied sarcastically.

“Hey, everyone needs a mentor when they’re getting started,” Lucy argued. “Give the kid a break. It’s not her fault that her mother married our father.”

Lois looked at Lucy suspiciously. “Wow, have *you* had a change of heart. What’s up with you?”

“Lois, I went for years wondering if you’d actually show up at the Daily Planet that day after receiving your mysterious message, I’ve already lost Mom. Sometimes you just need to take the high road. Take it from your big sister.”

“Grrr,” Lois said. “The Lois in the other world is the older sister. Why couldn’t that be the case with us?”

“Huh? What are you babbling about, sis?”

“Nothing. Long story, fit for another day. Let’s go say hi to Dad and his family,” Lois spit out. “And you know, I just remembered something I read about Chloe. Hmmm – maybe this will work out just fine,” Lois said mysteriously.

As the two women headed inside, Clark used his X-ray vision to locate James quickly. He found him in the back yard, in an animated discussion with his new father in law, Sam Lane.

“Clark! I got your message. Before you leave, remind me to give you the dog’s dish and his food. Anytime you want to bring him here to let him run around, let me know.”

“Well, thanks. I still own the family farm in Smallville, and there’s plenty of room to roam there, too,” Clark said. “Hello, Mr. Lane,” he said in an even tone to disguise his extreme dislike of Lois’ father.

“Clark, good to see you,” he said, offering his hand for a gentlemen’s hand shake. “I appreciate all you’ve done for my Lo,” he added. “I know you think that I gave up on her, but I just didn’t want to give myself false hope.”

“Right. I understand,” Clark said softly. <You didn’t even have a damn picture of your daughter when I came out to visit you!> he thought.

“So, Clark, you and Lois will have several good scoops for me, I hear?” James said, to change the subject.

“Yeah, Lois managed to snag interviews with Batman and Lex Luthor the same day. She’s something else all right.”

“Well, don’t be modest, Clark; I’m looking forward to your school lockdown story as well. The AP picked up the story, but you can write the first-person viewpoint. I’m looking forward to reading both of your draft copies.”

“Yes, we can’t stay too long tonight, because Lois wants to write them up tonite so you’ll have them for her first day tomorrow,” Clark replied.

“You can’t stay? Oh, too bad, Clark. We have to fly back to California tomorrow. Except for Chloe, that is. Did I tell you that she’s a journalism major and she’s transferring to Met U?” Sam asked.

“Yes, she told me the first time I spoke to her. She’s looking to intern at the Daily Planet.”

“She thinks that Lois is the goddess of investigative reporting, Clark. I hope she’s pleasant to her. She’s family now,” James said matter-of-factly. "And the world can always use more good reporters - especially the Daily Planet."

“I’ll work on her. Where are they?” Clark turned around and was pleased to see Lois chatting happily with Chloe. He turned off his super-hearing as not to eavesdrop on their conversation, as Lois was entitled to some privacy.

“Chloe – when I first heard about you, I did a search on the internet and found out that you had some very interesting research on people exposed to meteorites in some small coastal town in Northern California,” Lois began.

“Yes, Little Ville. My 'wall of weird happenings' actually received some attention in the press. It helped me get into UCLA with a major in journalism,” she said, beaming.

“You’re looking for an internship at the Planet, right?” Lois said. “You’re here for the summer and starting at Met U in the fall?”

“Yes and yes,” Chloe said, starting to get excited.

“Have you heard of Luthor Corp? Lex Luthor?”

“The mysterious philanthropist who’s been married about 8 times and makes sure he gets an iron-clad pre-nup agreement each time? Sure!”

<Wow, she *is* like me!> Lois thought. “Yes. Seems he’s been doing a little meteor research too. Using Kryptonite – the one thing that can kill Clark. Do you have any samples of the meteorites that were causing strange behavior in Little Ville?”

“Well, yeah – back in California. Obviously, I didn’t bring it with me to Metropolis.”

“Did anyone analyze it? To see if it’s the same composition as Kryptonite, that is?” Lois asked.

“Well, the geology department at UC @ Davis was the closest campus to Little Ville, so the rocks were sent there. I have no idea what the results of their research were. Are you thinking that some of the remnants of Krypton landed there as well?”

“Yeah - I am,” Lois said. “And someone like you - that no one knows is related to me – at least not yet – could be very handy for research. How good are you with computers? Is hacking one of your talents? I’m a little rusty myself, so you could really come in handy if you’re good.”

“I’m good, Lois – I’m *really* good. Tell me what you need, and I’ll get it for you.”

“Chloe – tell you what. You help me out here, and keep it on the down-low from Clark, and I can just about guarantee you a spot on the Daily Planet when you graduate. After all, my boss –and brother in law - is the owner,” Lois said gleefully.

“I would imagine it’s pretty tough to keep stuff from Clark, Lois. He can probably hear us talking right now, can’t he?”

“Well, he knows I’m a bit paranoid about him using his powers to eavesdrop so I’d be surprised if he’s listening. I already gave him Hell because he listened in on a phone conversation the other day,” Lois explained. “Let’s take a little walk together while he’s involved in a conversation with James and my father to preoccupy him. I’m going to go ahead and trust you – a big leap of faith for me – so don’t let me down, okay?”

“I won’t – I promise, Lois,” Chloe said sincerely.

T B C ...

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"