Print Thread
#40985 03/24/07 12:38 PM
FinLi Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Oh God I loved this story.

The angst, the desperation, the love.

This part of the episode always got to me, and you described it so beautifully.

Great job thumbsup

Clark: "Can I have a rat chief? Can I, huh? Please?"

Perry: "Clark, do you want me to send you to the dark room?"

Clark: "The dark room?"
#40986 03/24/07 12:43 PM
Columnist
Columnist
this was great. great story or in-between. thumbsup

I hope there'll be more.

#40987 03/24/07 03:49 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Great stuff. That was such a sad part.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#40988 03/24/07 05:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We each wanted to explore a similar theme, she just writes faster. [Wink] Many, many thanks to DJ for reading an early version and for sending me a clip from the episode to spur me on.
Ugh! Yes, there's that endless spew I was talking about...I talk too much...err...type too much. :p You are so welcome though and I'm glad the clip was inspirational.

He couldn't do it. He reached out to touch her cheek, desperately trying to put off her request for a few precious seconds more. The words he wanted to say ricocheted in his mind - I love you. I need you. I can't do this. Please, there has to be another way.
Ooooh, I love that - the thoughts that ricocheted through his head. He didn't want to do it...

He took his hand away as he gave her a gentle nod. Yes, he thought. It's me. Lois, I love you so much.
Ooooh, yes.... that nod. I've seen that nod. And that's always what I thought he was saying by it... yes, it's me... ahhhh <waffy sigh>

"You were right. I need you. Don't leave me."
Awwwwwww! <sniffle>

Nicely done, and glad to see you post (especially after the controversy that mine inadvertently stirred up - eeep!)

C-ya!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#40989 03/24/07 05:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
He had just killed Lois.
whinging

That's all I've got for now.

Anyway, thanks for hitting on some Clark-related themes that we just don't see much.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#40990 03/24/07 08:16 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Police Officer 1: Dr. Clurkius Jerome Kerth?

Dr Kerth: Yes?

Police Officer 2: Who is that woman over there?

Dr. Kerth: She's my fiancée, Loisa Lame.

Police officer 1: Why is she on the floor?

Police Officer 2: Why isn't she moving?

Police Officer 1: Why is she covered with ice?

Dr. Kerth: Because we were playing Ice Maiden and Mad Scientist.

Police officer 1: Give me a hand here, Billie.

Police officer 2: Okay, Willie.

Police officer 1: Wow! She sure is stiff!

Police Officer 2: Let's see if we can turn her upside down, shall we?

Dr. Kerth: Hey! You don't put my fiancée upside down! She's wearing a skirt!

Police Officer 1: Eeeeek!!!

Police Officer 2: What is it, Willie?

Police Officer 1: Look!!! Not only is she stiff...

Police Officer 2: She is a stiff!!!!

Police Officer 1: Okay, Dr. Kerth. How did your fiancée get this way?

Dr. Kerth: I had to do it! I had to save my parents! I have always been Mama's boy! And Papa's, too.

Police Officer 2: Did your fiancée threaten your parents?

Dr. Kerth: No, but some kidnappers were going to kill them unless I killed my fiancée instead!

Police Officer 1: That sounds reasonable. So you killed her?

Dr. Kerth: No, I was just going to freeze her! And then I was going to unfreeze her afterwards. With my new, experimental freeze spray. Hey, she was the one who told me I could do it!

Police Officer 2: Was it your fiancée who invented the freeze spray?

Dr. Kerth: No, goodness, no! Women are such birdbrains. No, it was I who invented it, of course!

Police Officer 1: Was your fiancée an expert on the effects of freezing on the human physiology?

Dr. Kerth: Hey, I told you she was a birdbrain!

Police Officer 2: So she wouldn't necessarily have understood what would happen to her if you froze her?

Dr. Kerth: No, but she said I had to do it anyway! She promised me it would be all right!

Police Officer 1: We understand, Dr. Kerth. Sorry to have bothered you. Do you need help to transport this dead body away?

Dr. Kerth: No, it's all right, thank you.

Police Officer 2: What? We're letting him go?

Police Officer 1: Hey, where would the world be if a man wasn't allowed to save his Mama and Papa? And where would the world be if a man was punished for obeying his fiancée?

Police officer 2: I see your point. Hey, keep your billy to yourself.

Police officer 1: I will, Billie.

<They leave>

Lena: Clurkius?

Dr. Kerth: Yes, my beautiful assistant?

Lena: Can't you play with me now that your boring fiancée is gone? Oh! She's still here. Can't you drag her into the next room or something? She's cluttering the place up.

Dr. Kerth: In a while, Lena. Let's play a bit first. Can I use my freeze spray on you, too?

Lena: I have a better idea. Let's see how deep I can put my tongue into your mouth! And you can see how deep you can put your tongue into my mouth!

Dr. Kerth: Oh, what fun, Lena!

Dr Kerth: You know what, Lena?

Lena: What?

Dr Kerth: Loisa told me it would be all right if I froze her.

Lena: Yes?

Dr. Kerth: She was right, you know.

Lena: Let's play that tongue game again, shall we?

Well, sorry about this, Sue. I just needed to express my utter disapproval of Clark for even considering freezing Lois, much less going through with it. But if we assume that his behaviour was in any way acceptable... and even if we don't accept it... this was a beautiful story. A beautiful story about a beautiful lunkhead!

Ann

#40991 03/25/07 04:35 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
lol That's quite a dialogue Ann.

But moving on, that was a lovely, moving story and I can't believe I had never thought of Clark AFTER Lois was sitting there frozen in his apartment.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#40992 03/25/07 05:59 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And I need to stop making fun of this and treat it more seriously.

Some time ago, Terry Leatherwood wrote a deathfic where Lois died after Clark froze her. And while I didn't read the story, I realized that the premise made such perfect sense. Ever since then I have thought that - yes, if he was galactically stupid enough to freeze her, who could be surprised if she never woke up again? Who could be surprised if she died? And if that had happened, Clark would really, actively have killed her. Oh, he wouldn't deliberately have killed her, of course, but he would knowingly have subjected her to absolutely unacceptable, mortal danger. How could he ever do something like that?

Well, he did it because he is - flawed, I guess. I remember a Calvin and Hobbes strip I read some years ago. Little Calvin asks his dad a question, and his dad, who doesn't know the answer, tells his son something anyway, and it sounds so pompous and spectacular that Calvin is blown away with admiration for his dad. So he asks daddy how grownups like him can know so much, and daddy replies:
- It's because I can look up the answers to everything in the big book of facts that they give to you when you become a dad.

So Calvin's dad pretended to be the owner of a big book that told him absolutely everything he needed to know about the world and about being a dad. Unfortunately, there is no corresponding book for Clark which tells him everything he needs to know about the world and about being Superman and doing the right thing in every situation. So Clark hobbles along, making spur-of-the-moment decisions, doing his best. He also has this irrational fear of telling his secret to Lois, so instead of coming clean with her and having an honest discussion with her about their best course of action, he reflexively clung to his secret and was unable to deny her her wish to have him freeze her and expose her to mortal danger. The lunkhead. Oh, how he would have needed The Big Book About Every Last Thing That Superman Needs To Know right at that moment.

He didn't have the book. He made the wrong decision. Luckily for him, in the show at least, Lois survived.

But as much as it irks me - infuriates me, almost - that he would do such a horrifyingly reckless and irresponsible thing to the woman he loves, there is no way I can read a sentence like this one and say that Clark doesn't love Lois:

Her eyes closed and his entire body shivered with the magnitude of what she was doing. For him. She was doing this for him.
And then there is this:

He couldn't do it. He reached out to touch her cheek, desperately trying to put off her request for a few precious seconds more. The words he wanted to say ricocheted in his mind - I love you. I need you. I can't do this. Please, there has to be another way.
His imperfection. His fear. His wordless love. His helplessness without that book of instructions that would have told him what to do. And therefore, his inability to do anything but comply with her request and, perhaps, kill her.

But he does love her. In your story, Sue, there can be no doubt of that.

Ann

#40993 03/25/07 07:23 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww, how sad! I've always loved that scene, even though I do agree with Ann, he shouldn't have done it in the first place. I love how we got to see Clark after he froze her. Very well done.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#40994 03/25/07 03:32 PM
Kerth
Kerth
First, let me give a huge "thanks!" to everyone has commented. I really appreciate the feedback, both good and bad. And yet, I've dithered all day about whether to say anything or not. In the end, discretion lost and I'm going to address what I felt was a gross misreading of the story.

The thing that struck me most about that scene the first time, and every time, I've ever watched it is the *emotion* on both of their parts. Have you seen it, Ann? If you haven't, I'll gladly send you the clip that DJ sent me so you can watch it. To me that scene was *never* about what Clark, or Superman, was doing. It was about Lois - what she was willing to do for *Clark*.

It saddens me that you can't seem to get past what you feel are Clark's sins to see how absolutely brave and amazing Lois was in that moment. That's what this story is about - Lois' courage and determination. I feel it cheapens her to make it seem like this was Clark's selfish decision/act.

Lois knew, she absolutely positively *knew* before he froze her that he was Clark. She knew and she gave him one last watery smile and then closed her eyes because, to her, it wasn't about him being Superman. It was about helping three people that she loved (Clark and his parents). She had the utmost confidence in his ability to freeze her. Like she said, she had seen it done before. In IGACOY he froze the Toasters at the end of the episode and, apparently, none of them died.

It was never Clark's idea to freeze her. Clark wanted her to get on a plane and leave town. The idea was hers - and hers alone. To deny her (as Superman) would have been to lessen something that only *she* could do for him. It wasn't just any body he was supposed to bring to Jace and Nigel - it had to *Lois*. Lois knew that. Personally, in my mind, she trusted him *more* in that last moment before he froze her *because* she knew he was Clark.

I loved Terry's story, "She". I lost my best friend and husband seven years ago and I find reading stories like "She" and "Quiet Regret" (and writing stories like "Frozen") cathartic.

If I didn't, I just wouldn't read (or write) them.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#40995 03/25/07 03:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
mecry

that's it, I can't think of anything else to say... just

mecry

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#40996 03/26/07 12:03 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Again I need to apologize.

My first, flippant post was a sarcastic and perhaps appropriate response to Clark's willingness to risk Lois's life in the TV show. It was not an appropriate response to your vignette, Sue.

I tried to do your story justice in my second post. However, I honestly didn't understand that your vignette was meant to be, first and foremost, a celebration of Lois's love for Clark, and a way of showing us that Clark understood the gift of love she was offering to him.

I'm sorry.

Ann

#40997 03/26/07 12:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<<<DJ hugs Sue>>>

The thing that struck me most about that scene the first time, and every time, I've ever watched it is the *emotion* on both of their parts.
Yes!

To me that scene was *never* about what Clark, or Superman, was doing. It was about Lois - what she was willing to do for *Clark*.
Oh yes, definitely!!

Lois knew, she absolutely positively *knew* before he froze her that he was Clark. She knew and she gave him one last watery smile and then closed her eyes because, to her, it wasn't about him being Superman. It was about helping three people that she loved
Oh heck, yes!!!

It was never Clark's idea to freeze her. Clark wanted her to get on a plane and leave town. The idea was hers - and hers alone. To deny her (as Superman) would have been to lessen something that only *she* could do for him.
YES, YES, YES!!! Most definitely!

Thank you for making those points, Sue. I know I've told you before that deathfics aren't my personal favorite... I have to be in the right mood for one... But I do read them. And do find many of them to be very moving and often times to have a very deep thought or point behind them - Terry's "She" is a wonderful example.

I haven't read everything on this board or the archive, but of what I have read, I haven't read anything (that was of *serious* nature) that trivialized Lois's death... or Clark's for that matter. They are both *equally* important, to not only each other, but the very basis for what the *basic* story and THIS PLACE is all about. For if we didn't have Lois... or we didn't have Clark... then we sure as heck couldn't have a "Lois & Clark". And that's the point of this particular fandom - it celebrates "Lois & Clark" -- not particularly the Superman mythos... and not particularly Lois & Superman... but "LnC - Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman".

But anyway, I'm rambling at this early morning hour... I shouldn't have woken Babbles yet... so I'll shut up.

I thought you captured the trueness of that episode scene here, so well. <sniffle>

Thanks.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#40998 03/26/07 04:06 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My first, flippant post was a sarcastic and perhaps appropriate response to Clark's willingness to risk Lois's life in the TV show.
And yet what happened in the vignette is pretty much exactly what happened in the show itself. You can SEE and FEEL the emotions coming off of the two of them in the show.

Great vignette, Sue! It's awesome how you can get into their heads like that--that's something I have a lot of trouble with myself.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#40999 03/26/07 09:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful, Sue.

Ann... you might want to consider getting your meds adjusted goofy But to save you time in future, I'll give you my Kryptonite bat, custom-made for whacking Clark over the head when he does something stupid. Be careful with that, it's practically an antique...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#41000 03/26/07 04:24 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Her eyes closed and his entire body shivered with the magnitude of what she was doing. For him. She was doing this for him.
These are the details that are brought to relief in writing that I simply did not get with the same punch in the episode. I always like the idea of emotion being expressed through a physically. There is something so visceral about that.

Her eyes flew open wide, her hand coming up to touch his as she left out a gasp and a single tear slipped loose. "The way you just touched me..."

He took his hand away as he gave her a gentle nod. Yes, he thought. It's me. Lois, I love you so much.
And precisely this is what hits me when I think about the episode, that at this moment what is happening is just so huge that the revelation takes a backseat. Really at this point what does the alter ego matter? She has chosen to risk her life for those that the man she loves holds dear while trusting her life to him and he in turn has trust her enough to let her. It's such an enormous and perfect orchestration of ultimate love and trust. It's larger than life and this scene delicately encapsulates just that.

It also makes me wonder--has anyone written a Lois POV here? Because I know "She's" was pretty much Clark's from what I remember or am I mistaken? Anyway it would be so great to read about that one moment where his touch makes her realize that he's Clark from her POV. *sigh* So if anyone knows, please pass on the knowledge smile

Perhaps as she's actually realizing he's Clark, Clark himself is going through the usual "It's me, see me, I love you." After all, he seems surprised from what I remember when she actually figured it out. But maybe I'm not remembering too clearly (I don't think he seemed shocked) or maybe he realizes she knows subconsciously. I'd like to think the latter. Maybe then he _wanted_ to think that given everything that's going on. I think this little snippet is particularly fascinating.

Really great vignette, packs such a huge punch!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#41001 03/27/07 04:11 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue, that was beautiful. I've seen that episode many times but somehow when you put the dialogue on paper, I is so much more...more emotional and moving.

As always, girl...YOU ROCK!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard