Part 7

After flexing his unbandaged hand, Clark dialed the number for Star Labs, then held his breath. People were scurrying around the phone booth and he didn't want them to recognize his voice. He was calling from the phone booth because he didn't want to take the chance that the call could be traced back to his apartment.

The operator answered and he promptly replied, "Dr. Bernard Klein, please."

"May I ask who's calling?"

With his most stern voice, he answered, "It's confidential, and if you don't put me through, he will not be pleased."

"Oh, who are you kidding? Doc Klein is always pleased. Give me your name, bozo, and I'll see if he wants to talk to you."

Clark almost laughed, but held firm. "Superman. Tell him, it's Superman."

"Oh, geez! That's even worse than telling me you're James Bond. Give me a break, buddy, and tell me your real name."

Clark sighed. "Never mind. If I go to another scientist and it's been found out that you didn't put me through, then it's all on your shoulders." He waited hoping his semi-bullying tactic worked. This was way too important for niceties now.

"Okay, okay! Um... here's a little test for ya, Mr. Supes. What's the doc's favorite animal?"

"Now, how would I know!" This woman was almost as frustrating as Lois, but not nearly as sexy sounding on the phone.

"Have you ever been motorcycling with him?"

"No!"

"Okay, since you're persistent, I'll give you a break."

"Thank you." Clark blurted, wondering what motorcycling had to do with the doctor's favorite animal.

"Please hold, and I'll connect you."

Clark heard music in his ear and held his breath. Not like he had a choice, he thought as he tapped his fingers against the side of the payphone.

"Eh, hello?"

"Is this Doctor Klein?"

"Since I last checked."

"Dr. Klein... this is Superman."

"Oh, hi, Superman." There was a pause on the line, and then an incredulous, "Superman?"

Clark chose not to delve into informalities but to get right to the point. "Dr. Klein, this is Superman. You helped outfit me with the oxygen tanks earlier this year when the Nightfall Asteroid came to Earth. I need your help again."

"Superman? I thought you were dead. I mean, at least that's what the news is reporting. Are you calling from the afterlife?"

"Eh, no. That's why I'm calling you... from earth. I've had some problems and I'm hoping you can help me."

"How do I know it's you and not some quack that is trying to get in my lab?"

"Listen, Dr. Klein... I'm sorry to have bothered you. Do you have the names of the other scientists and doctors that outfitted me with the oxygen tanks? Maybe I can persuade one of them to help me. Oh, wait a minute! I remembered another name... Dr. Gary Van Buren."

A gasp could be heard through the line. "Wait a minute there, Superman! Dr. Van Buren is a retired Star Labs doctor. There's no way that you could have known his name..."

"Unless I was there."

"Exactly! So just why are you calling, Superman?"

Clark rubbed his forehead in frustration. "I need to see you. I need a doctor I can trust and I thought I could count on you. But you don't seem to believe me."

"Oh, I believe you. Superman, where have you been?"

"I'll tell you in time, Doc. Can I meet you at your lab?"

"Um, sure. I'm guessing you probably want to meet in secret."

"Yes."

There was silence on the line as Clark waited.

"Meet me at eight p.m. at the back door of Star Labs, by the dumpsters. Try to appear nonchalant."

"I'll be there. Probably in disguise, but you should recognize me if you're observant."

"Please be Superman or I'm going to feel very stupid."

"Not a problem, Doc." Clark heard the phone line click and he hardened his face in determination. It was so good to be doing something about his predicament.

Martha adjusted the over-sized trench coat around Clark's shoulders and pulled the collar up to hide any blue spandex that wanted to peek out. Then she stepped back to inspect her handiwork.

Gray rain boots had taken the place of the red ones he usually wore. The long coat covered any trace of his suit, his hair was ruffled, Clark style, but already had hair gel in it to be slicked back in a jiffy. His glasses were in his pocket for an emergency.

Not quite, Clark, but definitely not Superman.

Martha adjusted her long-haired red wig and gold-framed glasses, then placed the floppy hat on her head. "There! Does your old mom pass muster?"

Clark grinned. "Even dad would have a hard time recognizing you. Are you sure you're my mom?"

"Always, honey, and don't you ever forget it."

Clark gathered his mother in for a hug. "Mom, I don't know what I would have done without you. Whatever happens, just know that I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie. Now let's see if we can get you in to see the doc."

Martha clung to her son tightly for a few moments, then let him go.

"Rental car is ready, if you are." Martha winked at Clark. "But let me make sure the coast is clear."

She peeked out the door into the night and motioned for Clark to follow.

It was almost a quarter to eight and Clark was anxious to see the doctor and curious to see what conclusions, if any, he would have to offer. He walked quickly out the front door, locking it behind him.

The back of Star Labs was well lit and bright – too bright to suit Clark. As they drove by the first time, Clark noted a security camera guarding the entrance, its small red light signaling that it was working. Although he didn't think he was recognizable as Superman in his overcoat, if a tape, recorded by the camera, got out in the news there would be some interesting speculation. He just wasn't ready to go public with the fact that he was still alive – not until he knew what was going on with his powers.

And more importantly, not until he was in a position to find out if he had evidence to support his claim that Luthor was behind his imprisonment and suffering. Not knowing what was going on in Lois' life was driving him crazy and he was determined to do whatever he needed to do to rectify that situation. Seeing Dr. Klein was the first step in getting his life back.

All of a sudden, the floodlights went out. Seconds later, the small red light on the camera faded in the alley and stopped its glowing. Clark and his mother waited in darkness, ready to stomp on the gas pedal if something strange occurred.

Soon the outline of a door appeared against the dark backdrop. They held their breath and moments later a man's silhouette could be seen against the pale light behind the door.

Clark gulped. Either he was caught or this was the doctor or someone he had sent to take him to his destination. A frantic waving of hands from the person in the building helped Clark make the decision that this was probably the doctor and that he needed to investigate. So much for being nonchalant, he thought wryly as he watched the very noticeable hand movements.

He got out of the car with a quiet order from his mom to be careful and to call her if he needed her. As planned, Martha drove away slowly, leaving Clark behind. The unknown person stopped his wild waving and, instead, began to wave a couple of flashlights in an organized manner – like he was waving an airplane in for a landing.

Clark hurried over to the man before he could attract any unwanted attention.

"Dr. Klein?" he asked, half-whispering, half-speaking.

"Who goes there?" a stern voice answered. "Stop, or I'll... I'll..." He pointed a flashlight directly at Clark.

"Shoot? With a flashlight? Dr. Klein, relax, it's Superman."

"Oh! I was expecting you to fly in."

"So that's what you were doing? Directing my flight? Sorry, I can't fly."

"Hurry in, Superman. We only have a couple of minutes before they come to inspect why the camera is out." The doctor stopped in his tracks. "You can't fly? Superman's not supposed to have flight problems."

"That's why I'm here, remember?"

"Oh, that's right. You did mention some problems on the telephone. Um... come this way."

At last, Klein ushered Superman through the doorway and shone a flashlight in his face. "You don't look like Superman," he said sternly.

"Doctor Klein, I'm supposed to be in disguise," Clark explained, a bit impatiently.

"You can never be too cautious. I suppose if you were going to bash me over the head with a blunt object you would have done it by now. Follow me, Mr. Superman."

The doctor turned around, motioned for him to follow and led him up a flight of stairs and down a short hallway. Clark remembered to slick back his hair into his Superman look.

Once inside Dr. Klein's lab, Clark immediately took off his overcoat and assumed his Superman pose. All indications pointed to the conclusion that he would still need to convince the doctor who he was.

The scientist turned around, immediately jumping back at the sight of Clark. "Superman! You really are him!"

Clark smiled. Maybe he wouldn't have to convince him after all. "Yes, Doc Klein. I could really use your help."

"I suppose the first thing we need to do is for you to take your suit off," Doc Klein said, eagerly grabbing a clipboard. "We need to take a blood sample, and..." He handed Clark a little cup. "Need to get these tests going right away."

Clark reluctantly took the cup and remembered the hard time he had in the cage getting the suit off without his powers.

The doctor pulled out some electrodes, waving them wildly in Clark's direction, Klein asked excitedly, "I suppose the suit does come off? There's an examination gown in that little room."

Sighing wearily, he inquired, "If you could help me with this pesky zipper, Doc. I'd be glad to get started."

"Zipper? Superman uses zippers?" the doctor replied as he scribbled furiously in a notebook. "How fascinating..."

The sun was low on the horizon as Lois walked along the docks of Hobbs Bay. She was watching the divers comb the waters where pieces of Superman's cape had been found, feeling numb and coming to the realization that she may never see him again.

Efforts to find Superman had slowed down the past couple of days and the search was being called off after today was over. Police were saying that if he hadn't been found by now then the chances of them ever turning up a body were nil. There was no telling where the water current could have washed his body or if the tides had taken it out to sea.

Lex had graciously taken it upon himself to extend the search after the city decided to quit – doubling up on the workers and extending the hours until well after sunset. The past couple of days she had witnessed his private effort as he coordinated to find some more clues to the superhero's disappearance.

She had been practically living at LNN, desperate for any new evidence that the workers could turn up. She had filled the hours poring over details for The Superman Foundation, deciding which charities would start benefiting from the start-up funds. It had given her a purpose and an outlet to vent her worry and grief.

Lex had given her a mild sedative so she could sleep, and she had done so, fitfully, on a couch in a conference room for the last two nights. She couldn't have asked for more attention then she had received from the billionaire during that time. His behavior had been exemplary and he had personally waited on her hand and foot.

Finally, she couldn't stand the close quarters of the news room, even Lex's attention was becoming overwhelming, and decided to leave for a while. She ditched her chauffer and hailed a taxi outside LNN, and here she was – watching the dying search for the man she loved.

There was even talk about a memorial service for the superhero. Being the possible future executor of the Superman Foundation, and the reporter who gotten the most Superman interviews, she would be expected to attend. She wasn't sure if she could bear to be there – she'd be a mess of tears and grief.

After finding a rare secluded place on the dock to sit and dangle her feet over the water, she watched, possibly, the last set of divers take their plunge into the icy water of the bay before the sun disappeared below the horizon.

The Daily Planet was set to reopen in a few days. Lex had been dangling the tasty carrot of the newspaper in front of her as a wedding present up until yesterday. Although it had been a nice prospect for her to own the paper, she could have never married Lex just to own it. She had turned his present down, politely, knowing that if Superman were around, he would frown upon her receiving the Daily Planet that way. No, if she married Lex, she didn't want that elaborate of a gift. Instead, she was debating on giving up reporting altogether in order to throw her whole efforts into the Superman Foundation.

Superman... She felt the lump in her throat swell painfully.

How she wished that she could be in his arms again, feeling his hard male body against hers... his hands had been so gentle and loving as he had held her face between them. Her body had never felt as alive as it had when he had kissed and touched her – she had loved him with all her heart and look at what happened...

She'd told Superman that she'd loved him; now he had disappeared off the face of the earth. The last time she had seen him, he had rejected her declaration of love, albeit, gently, but nevertheless, she had been rejected just the same.

He'd told her he belonged to the clouds and that even if he was an ordinary man, he didn't think she would ever love him. She had protested adamantly, but he'd given her that wonderful, passionate kiss, then had flown off, never to be seen by anyone else again.

There were no clues as to what had happened to him. The tattered remains of his cape and the blood, presumably his blood was evidence that something had caused injury to him. Superman was supposed to be invulnerable! What could have possibly befallen him?

But as illogical as it seemed, her heart was screaming that it was she who had driven Superman away. Her so-called love had driven away the only man she'd ever truly loved.

He was gone. No matter how he'd managed to disappear, the fact was that he was gone.

She scrubbed away the tears that ran down her cheeks, then buried her face in her hands.

That's why it was so tempting to marry Lex.

She didn't love him and therefore couldn't get hurt again by someone else, some other person in her life who could reject her. If Superman were truly gone, it would only be fitting for her to be with someone who could never compare to him. What else was left for her to do? Although Lex's touches and kisses left her feeling nothing, except for, perhaps, a bit of coldness, maybe it was better that way. Then again, sex had always left her empty inside.

Yet, the past few nights they had had some pleasant evenings together, he had not pressured her in anyway. With only a little talk between them about Daily Planet and the Superman Foundation, she had found a tiny respite among all the numbness she'd been feeling from Superman's disappearance. Feeling dead inside had become second nature to her the past few days. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch to let it carry over to her life with Lex – after all, he said he loved her.

The next time she saw him, she could give him her answer.

But there was something... Something that Superman had told her the night before he disappeared.

~o~There are a couple of people in your life who aren't who they appear to be. You just need to open your eyes, Lois.~o~

Who? Who was that other person that Superman had been talking about? She knew he had been talking about Lex, but who was the other one?

~o~There are two men besides myself who have told you that they love you... Lois, you are the finest reporter in the city. Look into your heart and trust your instincts.~o~

Love. There was that four-letter word again. Of course! It had to be. Superman was... or had been, good friends with Clark and it was obvious that they had talked about her.

And that revelation was nothing new to her. Clark had told her a few weeks ago that he loved her. Now he hadn't bothered to return her calls. She had talked to Martha this morning and Clark was out running errands. He should have been here with her, or called her – even though they had had a falling out of sorts, he should have pushed aside his bitter feelings and been there for Superman.

So what had Superman meant when he suggested that Clark wasn't who he seemed to be? Clark was Clark! The finest friend she'd ever had and the only partner she could stand to work with. There was nothing cryptic about Clark.

Lex had found her talking to Martha on the phone this morning and suggested afterwards that it was obvious that Clark was moving on with his life. She had to agree - only under life altering circumstances would her best friend have not called her back.

Of course, She'd rejected him recently. That could be considered fairly life altering. Being rejected by the one you loved was no picnic - especially if you stood to lose them forever. She most definitely was going through that situation first-hand.

Maybe that was it. Maybe Clark couldn't face her knowing that she was considering marrying Lex. He had been calling out her name in his sleep when she had visited him a few days ago and her touch had obviously calmed him down.

She felt tears prick at her eyes again. Would it always be strained between them? Was their wonderful friendship finally over?

Yet, there was one thing that she had learned during this time and that was how much she missed Clark. The time that had lapsed had only proven one thing; how much she needed him in her life. She had lost so much: Superman, the Daily Planet was never going to be the same, Perry was retired and fishing somewhere down in Florida. But Clark was one thing in her life that was within grasp of getting back. That was, if she bucked up and stopped feeling sorry for herself.

She missed Clark.

An overwhelming sense of loss came flooding over her as she thought of her best friend. Or her supposed best friend... they'd not talked since the day in the park.

Clark loved her. She was still trying to analyze that information. She had been way too busy thinking about Superman and Lex to even let that revelation process. Clark, her best friend, the only best friend she'd ever had, loved her. It wasn't the way that a friend or brother loved her. It was the way man loved a woman...

How did that really make her feel? A bit flattered, shocked and maybe even teeny bit angry for having him put her in the position where she had to think about it. Even though deep down in her soul she had known that Clark had feelings for her, it had still come as a shock to hear him tell her so. She would never have thought he would ever act on his feelings. She had clearly warned him in the early stages of their working relationship not to fall for her. But, she of all people, should have known that telling yourself to fall, or not to fall, for someone was out of your hands.

Sure, he had told her that he loved her, but she didn't feel the same way about him. Perhaps, she could get past that messy complication and hope that Clark would want to rebuilt their friendship... and maybe he could even help her investigate into what had happened to Superman. Partners again.

That thought perked her up a bit. Working with Clark again suddenly seemed like the perfect idea. If anyone could find out what had happened to Superman, it would be she and Clark scouring the evidence and putting the facts together.

She needed to see him... this time wouldn't just be her talking to Clark as he slept. Yes, falling asleep with him had been very comforting, but tomorrow morning she would camp out at his apartment until they had the chance to talk properly.

Taking one last look at the divers, she got to her feet and walked to the street. Whistling for a taxi, she climbed in the cab and directed the cabby to go to her apartment. Tonight she would sleep in her own bed.

After being poked and prodded, having given several blood and tissue samples, and run through a few tests over several grueling hours, Clark was exhausted again. It was the wee hours of the morning when he was directed to a small room to rest while Klein analyzed the preliminary test results.

It didn't take long for him to doze off on the hard cot. The doctor had been very thorough in his examination and Clark felt there wasn't an inch of himself that hadn't been scrutinized completely.

What seemed like seconds after he had fallen asleep, Clark was being shaken awake.

"Superman? Superman!"

Clark opened his eyes and saw Dr. Klein standing over him with a clipboard in his hand.

"Already? What time is it?" Clark asked, rubbing the side of his face.

"Oh, you've been sleeping all day, Superman. I have your preliminary test results," the scientist said, excitedly.

All day? Again? This was getting ridiculous, Clark thought, then tried to concentrate on Doc Klein. "Results?"

"I've narrowed down the probable cause of your problems down to the gene that makes your ability to transpose the sun's rays into superpowers. It seems that it has been damaged."

"Damaged?"

"Yes, it appears that the radiation from the kryptonite damaged the organelles that process the sunlight into energy. Organelles are little organ-like things within cells... For example, the mitochondrion processes chemicals to make energy in animal cells, and there's a similar organelle in plants that works with chlorophyll, and with you, you have both. There is a similar organelle that turns the sun's energy into superpowers and another less prominent one that processes energy from food.

"The kryptonite radiation seemed to be on the right wavelength to shake apart a key chemical in the processing of sunlight - the Kryptonian analog of chlorophyll. The chemical could be slowly replaced, but this exposure also damaged the enzymes that produce the chemical. Those enzymes may, or may not be replaceable."

"So what are you saying, Doc? In English, please..."

"After several inconclusive tests, I've come to the conclusion that your molecular structure is near to that of a normal man. It appears that your cells have undergone a major metamorphosis overhaul. This was probably why you suffered extreme fatigue for days. Your body was figuring out a new way to process energy. In other words, you were becoming normal."

"You mean my powers are gone for good?"

"Superman, or should I call you Un-Superman...? Um, I'm afraid I can't say that, but without the unique ability to absorb the sun's rays, you are simply one ordinary fellow."

Clark felt his world crumble away. Ordinary? That word always seemed to haunt his very existence.

"I'm just like everyone else?" Clark asked, feeling as though the saying, 'be careful what you wish for' was never truer. All his life he had tried to be normal, from wearing glasses to wanting someone he could love and share his life with... a family and a normal job. Now it was true. He was an ordinary guy.

"Unless your molecular structure has a way of repairing itself, I don't believe that you will ever be 'super' again."

"There's no way of telling if it will?"

"Without a baseline examination, I do not know what 'normal' is for you."

"Being 'super' is normal for me, Doc. What am I going to do?" Clark asked, despairingly, more to himself than to Klein.

"Live like the rest of us until we can be certain?" The doctor suggested tentatively with a shrug of his shoulders.

"How long will it be until we'll know for sure?"

Doc Klein shook his head. "I'd be lying if I told you an answer. The only thing we can do is wait and keep searching for some answers. But honestly, Superman, I don't see how your molecular structure can repair itself. The Kryptonite you were exposed to was a very nasty and complex material. Without a sample of the element, which I believe was radioactive, I have no way of knowing if the conditions can be reversed."

"So what you are saying is that if I can get you a sample of this Kryptonite, then you might be able to reverse the procedure?"

"Extremely low chance; but it could be possible. We don't know if you were exposed to it in its pure form or if it had been tampered with."

The muscle in Clark's jaw twitched as he stared past Dr. Klein. "I think I know where I can find it. Hopefully, it has not been removed."

"That would be most helpful if you could locate it, Superman. If anything, it would be a fascinating study." His eyes grew wide as he pondered the scientific possibilities.

Clark's expression grew serious. "Let me ask you this: will Kryptonite still affect me if I get into contact with it again... being normal."

"I have no way of knowing... you have the blood and the cell structure of a normal man. It's only one gene that is slightly different... and it is not functional."

"So if I get sick and need a doctor, will he be able to tell the difference between me and any other man?"

"Only if he has permission to do a DNA test."

"I hope it doesn't come to that." Clark raked a hand through his hair, still disbelieving.

"Just don't go around getting women pregnant..." Dr. Klein laughed nervously. At Clark's startled look, Klein added, "Just joking... Um, you do think about those things, don't you, Superman? Oh, that's way too forward... sorry, got carried away. Just the scientist in me."

Clark didn't seem to hear the doctor as he was processing the grim diagnosis in his mind. "Thank you, Dr. Klein. I appreciate all that you've done for me."

"Oh, call me, Bernie. I'd consider it an honor."

Clark reached out and shook the scientist's hand. "I'll stay in touch... Bernie."

The scientist stuck out his chest and saluted. "I will not rest easy until I've exhausted all possible avenues for your recovery."

"Thank you. Now if I may use your telephone..."

"Is there some place you need to go, Superman?" Klein asked. "If so, I can get you there without suspicion."

"Oh?" Clark didn't want to risk his mother's safety any longer than he had to. If he could possibly get away without involving her this time, then he was all for it. At least Dr. Klein had been associated with him during the Nightfall Asteroid. If caught in his Superman persona, his family wouldn't be exposed to the public eye.

"Could you take me to the LexCorp building."