Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40471 03/15/07 06:20 PM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
comments, or torches and pitchforks here :p .

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Interesting. Very interesting.

You know, of course, that the musical by Weber was only the latest reinterpretation of the legend. The first film version featured Lon Chaney Sr. in a silent version filmed just after World War I, and it was redone in the early 40's with Claude Rains as the tortured Phantom. (I'm sure there have been others I'm forgetting.)

I like this version. It has the fairy-tale air of the Weber version mixed in with the familiar characters we all know. I'm interested to see where you take this. Is there a Clark in the picture, or has the Angel (Superman, of course) been appearing to Lois ever since he learned to control his powers? Does he do rescues when he's not inspiring Lois? Is Lex as evil in this universe as he is in ours, or will we experience a complete role reversal with him? (He seems pretty smarmy and oily so far, so I think he's still a bad guy.)

Keep it up, please. You have at least one reader whose interest has been piqued.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I like your story too, Allison. I've really only seen the Phantom of the Opera once, and then as a musical performance in London, but I do recognize parts of the lyrics from the musical in your story:

‘Fly once again with me, in our strange duet. My powers draw you close to me, and grow stronger yet. And though you turn from me, to glance behind, the Phantom of the Planet is there, inside your mind.’

‘Some who have seen your face, draw back in fear,’
Well, it's not exactly like the lyrics in the musical, but close enough! smile And this, too:

“My spirit and your words, in one combined…”
“Your spirit and my words, in one combined…”

“The Phantom of the Planet is there, inside your mind.”
“The Phantom of the Planet is there, inside my mind.”
I like it! I want to sing along, actually!

I may finally have given up on the Superman comics, but I kept reading them for at least twenty years. In the nineties, there were the so called Elseworlds stories, which were very romantic for a while. The best one was where Kal-El was adopted by the Waynes of Gotham City and grew up to become Batman (and then he fell in love with Lois, of course - now that was a good love story smile ). And there was another one where Kal-El was Tarzan, more or less, and again he fell in love with Lois, of course. I really liked these "alternative takes" on Superman. So why shouldn't Superman be the Phantom of the Opera? I think it's a great idea!

I'm curious, of course. Is "Superman" disfigured here, just like the Phantom of the Opera is disfigured? How long has he been hanging around the Daily Planet, and why? How long has he been watching and guiding Lois, and why? He apparently brought her to his Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic(?), because it is
the place of words’ sweet throne
Hmmm! I wonder what part the Fortress will play in this story.

I'm curious what is going to happen, that's for sure. And I really like the romantic 19th century feeling of this, too.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
I should say I very rarely write FDK (even though I enjoy reading all the stories out there), but being a fan of the Phantom of the Opera and of L&C, your story "forced" me to write feedback (maybe the Angel of Words is somehow influencing me, too wink ).

I have only seen the most recent movie, and have the theater's version in CDs, but I can say that I know pretty much all the songs of the play. I LOVE to sing along (as I did quietly while watching the movie blush ).

I should say that, at first, I went wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm agreeing with everyone else when I read the first sentence and thought Phantom of the Opera and Lois and Clark?? Are we talking about the same Lois and Clark? Lol, but after reading the first chapter, I'm definitely intruiged! Especially because it looks like you could definitely pull off this sort of story. Very impressive... smile I like the touch with the Fortress of Solitude. Adds a definite Supermanish air to a very Phantom of the Operaish style. And I'm also wondering if Superman's disfigured, and is so, how he became that way and also if Clark Kent will make an appearence. smile There's no need to hide behind smile1 s.

Anixously waiting for more,

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Interesting take on the story. Lex is his same old self.

Shelley
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thank you all so much! I really didn't know what kind of response this would get thumbsup )

I haven't decided what role, if any, Clark will play here. I may have to figure it out as I go along. I will try not to turn him into a crazed killer wink . And I'll try not to have her abandon him to run off with Rao..er Lex laugh . I may have to tweak a few more things. But I'm immensely glad to know I've got you all curious.

notworthy notworthy Allison

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard