Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#39789 03/02/07 08:12 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
topic started

Okay, I normally have Topic-Starting Phobia, but this is the second time tonight. The ending was just BEAUTIFUL. It was perfect. There aren't any other words for it. (Well okay, I can open up my thesaurus.)

JD
hail

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#39790 03/02/07 08:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oooh - you posted! *happy dance* kicking myself for not sending comments back to you earlier tonight, though... razz

A glance through the door and all he saw was a flutter of the cape as Lois let out a muffled plea of "no, stop." His entire body went rigid as he realized what was happening. He raised his hand to knock on the door but it splintered at his touch. Clark pushed past the remaining wood and rushed over to the struggling figures on the sofa. He lifted the faux Superman from Lois and tossed him against the other loveseat hard enough that it broke.
Excuse me, please, while I squee... /me loves Angry!Clark as much as /me hates clones! Yay for Angry!Clark!!! clap

She had walked for over an hour, wandering aimlessly as her mind tried to make sense of the most frightening and bizarre night of her life. Suddenly her feet stopped and she looked up at the building beside her. Of course she had come here.
Loved this. smile That the one place she would thing of going to - even when she's not even thinking about where she's going - is Clark's place. *happy sigh*

It wasn't the Suit that made Clark Superman - it was his desire to help others by any means possible.
This is just so excellent!
I like how she comes to the realization that Clark is who he is, just before that line, too. But that one line... Magnificent! smile

Lois fervently wished she could just fall apart for a little while.
awww! mecry

"Not him." She shook her head against his chest. "I didn't mean him. You. You're so strong. And I'm not. I'm really not." She looked up at him and her teary eyes seemed to be pleading with him. "You're the only one who knows that."

Understanding dawned on him. From the first she had always been in such tight control of her emotions. He had seen rare glimpses of the softness underneath and he had loved her all the more for them. Only now did he realize that her tears were the one thing she had never shown Superman.

"I'll never tell," he promised.
Awwww!!!! *waffy sigh* /me transforms into a puddle of goo on the floor.

I have only one thing left to say about this story: notworthy

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#39791 03/02/07 09:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sue, there sure is a lot of horse sense packed into this little story. You said so much here. I really enjoyed it!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#39792 03/02/07 10:16 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Angry Clark is not my favorite, and the story is a little gruesome for my taste. But I totally agree with Jen's assessment. The ending is - I don't think there is a better word for it - beautiful. The kind of beauty that cuts you open like a knife, but not in a bad way. You are defenseless against it. Imagine - Lois would fight Superman. She would stand up to someone who looked like Superman and was as strong as Superman. She would be hurt and bruised and have her clothes torn by clone-Superman. She would face rape by an inhumanly strong, ruthless, horrible perpetrator with an idealized hero's face and body. Yet she would not fall apart. Never that. Not lose her dignity.

Only when she faces the real Superman, and knows that he is really Clark, and knows that with him she is totally safe and loved, only then can and must she fall apart and dissolve in tears in his arms.

Ann

#39793 03/02/07 10:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
None of these characters are even remotely mine (which I find to be one of life's great inequities)
Oh, but Clark is in your closet!

So was Lois actually raped?

Great story, Sue.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#39794 03/02/07 10:53 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I was beginning to miss this sort of angst on the boards. So imagine my happiness when I saw this fic.

So many threads to weave, what with the attack, the aftermath and the revelation all in one. Once more Sue promises and delivers. I felt that she tackled the attack with tact and sensitivity without losing it's visceral terror and the ensuing consequences. I didn't feel the damsel-in-distress from Lois, but rather a wrenching portrayal of her steps to collect herself. In a one-parter too!

I mentioned this to Sue, but I'll state it here--I particularly enjoyed the twist that she gave the revelation. Since to me finding out that _Clark_ was Superman made things for her much easier (Clark himself points it out when he changes into his ordinary clothes not to frighten her). The space between Clark and Superman I gathered was a bit of a comfort here whereas it usually works in the opposite way.

Just excellent, as always. *happy sigh*

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#39795 03/03/07 12:33 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I read recently that women can hear little sounds better than men can and their sense of smell is more acute. So the following pullquote is perfect.

Lois picked up his pillow and hugged it to her chest. Her chin dropped and she buried her nose in the pillow, inhaling the clean masculine scent of Clark that lingered there. His was the same smell as Superman - how had she missed that? Whoever it was that attacked her tonight hadn't got that part right either. He hadn't smelled like Clark.
A man probably wouldn't have even thought to write about scent. I know I wouldn't have. It made so much sense to me. And if Lois can smell the real Clark, she can trust him, even if he looks like the fake Superman who tried to rape her.

And I'm almost completely certain he didn't finish his act of violence, since he himself wasn't disrobed. But Lois will still have post-trauma reactions to this episode. I feel for her.

"I'm sorry I broke into your apartment." Her voice was still low and quiet and he wondered if she was afraid of upsetting him.

"It's not like I'm going to report you. You're welcome here anytime," he reassured her.

"I guess there are a lot of things that happened tonight that will never get reported."
Lois comes across as so very child-like and vulnerable here. She's trying to make a joke about it, but they both know that there's nothing funny about what almost happened to her - or about what did happen to her. And Clark's reluctance to invade her personal space because he doesn't know how she'll react is reasonable, but Lois also needs to know that he doesn't blame her or think of her as damaged in any way, shape or form.

And the previous posters are absolutely right.

Understanding dawned on him. From the first she had always been in such tight control of her emotions. He had seen rare glimpses of the softness underneath and he had loved her all the more for them. Only now did he realize that her tears were the one thing she had never shown Superman.
He finally understands. Clark has seen a side of her that Superman never has, her inner vulnerabilty. She trusts him so much that she's shown him what's really in her heart.

Perfect.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#39796 03/03/07 03:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh Sue!!! I'm so glad you posted it. I didn't want to have to break out the men with pointy sticks...

Okay, I have no time to quote my favorite parts - though you already know what they are - Hubby surprised me with a spur of the moment trip to visit my family this weekend... we're getting ready to leave...

But...

This one is for DJ. She never fails to encourage me in all things, not just fic. So here you are, DJ, Angry!Clark - just because you asked. <vbg>
AWWWWWWWWWWWW! <<<hugs>>> Thank you Sue! What a sweet dedication. <sniffle, sniffle>

Okay, I promise to come back, because I have to quote a few of my favs... but it will be a day or two!

Great job! So glad you posted! dance

P.S. -- Had to say one more little thing. One of my very favorite parts is that Lois was willing to face the clone Superman herself rather than see Clark get hurt. She kept telling him not to fight him to just go - because she was afraid clone Superman would hurt Clark. And yet, that would have left her at clone Superman's mercy. That was such a beautiful tribute to how much she really loved Clark - even if she hadn't been willing to admit it yet... <waffy sigh>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#39797 03/03/07 04:11 AM
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Fabulous little story. I loved it, specially the end. Simply beautiful.

#39798 03/03/07 06:34 AM
N
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
N
Such a great story -- one of those I know I'll be rereading many a time to come. And this:

He knew she wasn't strong all the time - and she knew that he was.
That line is perfect. Technically, it may be wrong on both counts, but it HAS to be that way because it's how Lois is feeling at the moment. It's just beautiful.

I'd love to see this go somewhere, but it's great as is, too.

#39799 03/03/07 06:39 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
That was beautiful, Sue. Just like in the first "Proof" story, you skillfully brought out an underlying emotion and suprised the reader (well, me, anyway smile ) with it. I also like that this particular piece didn't end with smoochies and declarations of love. You concluded it right where it naturally finished.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#39800 03/03/07 06:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very lovely... loved the last sentence thumbsup smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#39801 03/03/07 07:10 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
This was beautiful, Sue! And as others have said, the ending was utter perfection. Thanks for sharing this with us. smile

Caroline

#39802 03/03/07 06:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh I just loved this. What a great mini story. Beautifully done. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#39803 03/03/07 09:00 PM
Columnist
Columnist
As everyone said, absolutely beautiful. You never fail to astound me. notworthy

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#39804 03/04/07 01:59 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
When evil wears the face of the beloved, what and who can be trusted? Although it was reassuring Lois sought security with familiar things-Clark's apartment, his bed, his smell-I found it tragic she must break down so completely for Clark to "understand".

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#39805 03/04/07 04:26 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I found it tragic she must break down so completely for Clark to "understand".
Her "breakdown" is the point. Lois always shows a strong face to the world and doesn't break down easily. She held it together during the attack (apologies to Ann - I deliberately faded to black on that one so it wouldn't be "gruesome"). It was only hours later, with *Clark*, that she felt safe enough to reveal her true self to him. She realized that she had done that before. It's been Clark that she has trusted all along. It's Clark that she wants to turn to for comfort. Because Clark has already been keeping her secret. That she now knows about Superman is quid pro quo. Please note: If there was anyone in the world she could fall apart in front of, it would have to be Clark. He had seen her like this before - when Barbara Trevino had tried to kill her - and he had kept her secret safe. She was suddenly glad that she could keep a secret for him now.

In the end, Clark realizes the same thing. That's the understanding that dawns on him. And that's why he makes the same promise to her that she made only minutes earlier to him - "I'll never tell."

No, Nancy, he didn't rape her. That was just too icky to even contemplate. <shudder> I figured just the intent was terrible enough.

This story started in a chat when DJ and I were trying to think of a scenario in which Clark would allow himself to sleep with Lois as Superman before she knew who he really was. We drew a blank. I just couldn't believe that Clark would do that. Somehow or other the idea came up that maybe she could sleep with his clone in Vatman. But that wouldn't work either because she figured out that the clone wasn't really Superman. Heaven only knows how it degraded from that idea into this, but it did.

Thanks to everyone who has replied - sometimes you nervously put a story out there and wonder whether it will work or not. I guess I could more specifically state exactly what they're feeling, but I usually like to let the readers come on the ride with the characters and interpret their words/actions for themselves. Pretty much everyone understood that in this story. I just worry about it when the ambivalence doesn't pay off. blush

Thanks guys!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#39806 03/04/07 06:18 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Hey, I think one of the best ways to kill the beauity of a creative project is too much self editing. Ambivalence is a good thing. I for one do not like being spoon fed.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#39807 03/04/07 08:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved it, Sue. Very emotional. She keeps telling herself not to cry, putting on a strong front, until she gets to a place of safety. Clark is her safe harbor, and with him, she's secure enough to fall apart. And they both understand the significance of that. It's a lovely symmetry -- she sees something about him that no-one knows, and he sees something about her that no-one knows. And neither one of them will ever tell. Beautiful.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#39808 03/05/07 05:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, I'm back. Sorry it took me so long. I'm not going to make any direct quotes (because you already know what they are, Sue)... but I did want to come back to say a 'thank you' for Angry!Clark. I know some people don't like him as much as I do. But I just love to see him get all protective over Lois and come to her rescue and be tempted to do something "over the line" to save her.

And you gave me that good. smile

I also wanted to mention how much I loved the "revelation". I always love it when we can see a revelation where Lois doesn't get mad. And we did here. You portrayed this very correctly because she really had no reason to get mad. She and Clark had no kind of relationship (other than partners - when it suited her <g>). Clark hadn't poured his feelings out to her (like at the end of season 1) only to be dumped over for Superman - so there weren't those hurt feelings on his side. And they weren't dating, so he wasn't pursuing her under false pretenses...keeping something from her.

So I just really enjoyed how simple and uncomplicated this revelation was and yet, how really, if you took a harder look at it... it was complicated, in it's own way. And I loved how she looked at him as "how did Superman become Clark Kent" and then realized it was actually the other way around.

All of that was just so wonderful!

And of course the ending was precious - with them both getting to keep a secret for each other.

Loved it Sue! Thanks!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard