Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#39737 03/04/07 01:15 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
She had found it for him. She had contacted the Primaries, and had probably taken McPheron by the throat and shaken him until he had begged mercy and gone out to find it himself.
LOL! Yes, that probably is what happened!

“That . . . that wasn’t—isn’t—kryptonite.”
I was gonna say!!

“The whole city’s been caught up in this kryptonite rage. It’s gone out of control. Practically every crook brought in has some sort of green stone or glass—or maybe they’re just wearing green to try and keep you away.
I'm going to have to go re-read the earlier parts, b/c I didn't remember that the K info was released to the public.

“For the next eight years of your life you will learn from them.
OH, no. If Clark closets himself up in the Fortress for the next eight years, away from Lois and the DP, I'm going to... be really mad at you!

Besides, he was Clark Kent. He didn’t want to rule over anybody.
Something Jor-El couldn't have predicted.

This was a turn I didn't expect, Smirky. I am so looking forward to 39! And this time I'll try not to go AWOL on you.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#39738 03/05/07 07:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Four reviews, MrsMosley!? laugh smile1 laugh

I'm going to have to go re-read the earlier parts, b/c I didn't remember that the K info was released to the public.
<whistles as she begins to file through her chaos of notes and various scribblings> Ah, here we are. Chapter 29:

If the police were overwhelmed and Lois was on a killing spree, the paparazzi was having a hey-day. Cheap papers exploded on the street, crying despair—that Superman was dead, killed by this once-believed-futile threat of kryptonite.

Even the criminals seemed to pick up with the sudden rage. A failed bank robbery brought in three hoodlums, to find that they had green crystals stuffed into their pocket. Upon research, it had been discovered that it was nothing but cheap dyed glass, but it still made Lois go cold.

His weakness was out there and known. Adults walked a little faster, glancing up at the sky with a sad sort of fading hope that they tried not to let anyone else see. Kids cried as they saw computer-altered or artistic portrayals of Superman—lying dead and bleeding amidst glowing green rocks—and the Star’s front page’s bold headline: “MAN OF STEEL MISSING AND PRESUMED DEAD.”
Hope that helps. thumbsup

OH, no. If Clark closets himself up in the Fortress for the next eight years, away from Lois and the DP, I'm going to... be really mad at you!
lol. You're going to pull a MR and send chainsaw and stick men after me? <grins> <holds out arms> Come to Mommy, babies!

Wow. O_o. That was odd. Ignore that last bit. <clears throat>

laugh

Something Jor-El couldn't have predicted.
Nope, but Jor-El really just doesn't know his son. <shakes head> Poor Clark. So many people expecting so many things out of him. . .

I am so looking forward to 39! And this time I'll try not to go AWOL on you.
lol. Don't worry. It cost me most of my sleep-time last week and my health to get this last chapter out even a day late, and I don't expect my readers to be willing to pull the same sort of sacrifice. Real life is a devil, sometimes.

Anyway, thanks again so much for your amazing reviews, MrsMosley. I am very, very glad that you're back with us (and that my guilt stick is still working thumbsup )!

<rubs hands together with glee>

Chapter 39 is actually technically all the way written--it just needs quite a bit of editing, and with a ton of homework today and a massive test tomorrow, it probably won't be posted early (I had to add that just because I knew the begging would flow in if I didn't . . . and it may flow in anyway laugh ). There are just some things that need some careful balancing here, though I certainly have enjoyed writing them. I've found there's this very thin line I have to walk so my readers don't decide to hate any of the characters I don't want them to hate, despite some of their . . . less lovable actions.

Hm.

But first I have to write a 2 page paper in the next half an hour. Curse being sick over a whole weekend! (and, of course, I am not going to blame my procrastination on anything to do with Darkest Dreams laugh thumbsup thumbsup )

Have a great day!

SmirkyRaven

#39739 03/06/07 07:15 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow. It's been awfully quiet in here, except for my lonely little self gabbing at the walls.

But now for good news that hopefully may interest some of you--to make up for my late chapter last week, I think my next chapter may be able to come out . . . TOMORROW! <dances on chair> I just have a couple little wrinkles I need to iron out, and hopefully everything will be ship-shape.

Anyone against that idea? <looks around>

Well, then. We'll cross our fingers. And everyone who hasn't reviewed the last chapter yet . . . REVIEW!

SmirkyRaven

#39740 03/06/07 07:26 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You better post tomorrow or I'll some things after you. like these. evil evil

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#39741 03/06/07 08:08 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
GAH! SPIDERS!!!!

<scambers across the room and tries to climb her window curtains to get away>

Oh my gosh. I have to tell you: I love snakes, I love lizards, I love mice, fish, rats, eels . . .

And I actually love spiders too. Or at least I find them very interesting. I once caught this black widow, named her Shelob, and kept her alive on flies for two months (she even shed her skin. Did you know spiders shed their skin? It's really nifty). But I am most strangely, oddly, irrationally terrified of everything related to spiders--even down to little animated things like that.

(So don't ask me why I kept a black widow as a pet for two months. I've tried to figure it out myself, and it just doesn't work. I guess the only answer to that is that I'm insane. But what's one to do? huh )

Anyway, I just had my little sister and big brother read 39 through and check for typos, etc. They say it's post-worthy, but there are a few parts that *I'm* not quite satisfied with yet, but I can pretty much say that a chapter coming out tomorrow is almost a certainty (as I am currently working halfway through chapter 40 laugh ).

And, of course, I'll do anything so long as you keep those nasty, crawly, spindley-legged cretins away from me!

<slowly and carefully starts climbing down the curtains and onto the floor again>

Have a good evening! I'm off to bed!

SmirkyRaven

#39742 03/06/07 08:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
EVERYBODY NOTICE!!!!! shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock

We've found something Smirky is afraid of. Let's see. Tuesday, March 6th, 2:08 EST, 11:08 PST. A moment that will live in history.

(I mean, we tried men with spears, chainsaws, the works.)

PS, Smriky, those spiders look as suspicious about you as you do about them.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#39743 03/07/07 12:58 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yay!!

Tomorrow, tomorrow!
I love ya, Tomorrow!
Is only a day...AWAAAAYYYY!!!

(Dog howls)
dance

I have to say, what I really love about this story is how perfectly it combines so many of the elements of so many incarnations of the Superman legend, be it the Chris Reeves movies, The Animated series (Your Lois is soo close to her in incarnation in that one!), LnC or Smallville. For example the fortress of Solitude, JOr-El's messages, the encounter with Flash, Jonathan's death, and the way Clark is still the real man beneath the suit, but still disguises his personality as that of a bumbling geek.

And yet, it maintains it's own unique identity. I sometimes feel as though Darkest Dreams embodies the essence of Superman as our generation perceives it.

Did that sentence make sense? Sorry, my brains feel scrambled at the mo. =(

And even though this story has this reputation as a dark and angsty fic, I really don't think that's a fair label. It has something innately hopeful and humourous and innocent about it, despite all the gory and heart-wrenching situations Lois and Clark face. It has everything I loved about Lois and Clark without the lackadiasical, cartoonish plot lines I disliked. (just my opinion.)

It's why I love it so much. That and the brilliant imagery. You truly are an expert at wordcraft. notworthy

There's your review, Smirkster! Now quit prodding me with that damn stick! laugh

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#39744 03/07/07 01:03 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
PS: You named it Shelob?!

That is weird. I'm confirmedly arachna-phobic myself, but even if I DID have a giant spider, I don't think I could've stood to name it Shelob. That chapter in LoTR was far too graphic for me to look at a spider again without shuddering. And now I've seen the movie.... peep

(Keeping Smirky company as she talks to the silent, white-padded walls of this thread... laugh )

- Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#39745 03/07/07 04:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Smirky,
I'm still here hanging with you on the story. Life has just been crazy on my end.

I really liked this chapter because Clark is finally realizing that he can't expect Lois to love Clark if he makes him out to be this bumbling idiot all the time. I'm glad they are both maturing a bit. I still want to give them both big old hugs though. whinging

Anyway, thanks for sharing it with us as always. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#39746 03/07/07 05:19 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
(Keeping Smirky company as she talks to the silent, white-padded walls of this thread... )
lol

Okay, folcs . . . give me about five to ten minutes . . .

thumbsup thumbsup

SmirkyRaven

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard