Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
Thanks for reading and commenting, everyone.

Regards,

Rac

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! drool

"This is your next book," he replied. "You gave us a glimpse of what's happening there now, what people are doing to rebuild their lives and move on, and I need to know more. I need the whole story. This is amazing, but it just whets the appetite."

The piece had been an incredible form of catharsis for her, just like writing down her thoughts for Jonathan and Martha to read had been. But if she was honest with herself, she wanted more, too. She wanted to know what was happening in other towns in Kinwara, wanted to see how life was changing there, and how she could help it along. She wanted to reestablish her ties to that country and its people, both as a Lois Lane, and as Ultrawoman. It wasn't a decision she should have made on the spur of the moment, but the instant Perry mentioned it, she knew it was right. This was the book she wanted to write – not a dark memoir of war and terror, but a testament to the power of hope. She felt herself smiling faintly. "I guess it's time to set up a meeting with the suits," she said.
This is Lois Pulitzer. thumbsup

He shook his head. "Lois and I made this decision. Of course, I hoped it wouldn't have taken this long, but I came knowing that I might not even be able to return home. I grew up, feeling lonely, despite having wonderful parents, because I didn't know where I belonged. Lois told me once that I'd never be alone again, and she was right. We're not physically together, but she is always with me."
Beautiful! hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, you've managed to rachet up the tension once again, Rac. Rae Et has a good plan in place, but one which still requires a minimum number of people, and I'm not sure she has enough reliable people with her. And the added complication of pulling out two prisoners instead of one will make the mission that much more difficult. Unless, of course, she plans to betray Jen Mai and his brother, which would make Jen Mai unreliable and might mean she'll have him killed before he could betray her. Layers within layers within layers, indeed!

I agree with Maria. This book could be Lois's Pulitzer prize-winner. It might propel her into the top of the elite of Amaerican non-fiction authors, and since she's also Ultra Woman, she might be able to type it up and edit it twice as fast in less than half the time as any other author. Yay for her!

And yay for Clark! He's almost ready to go home, even though Rae Et's diabolical plans will surely interfere. And all the WAFFy stuff going on, like Enza and Lok Sim maybe making a baby (they're sure practicing hard), Ching and Zara getting together and being out in the open (finally), Clark winding up all of his responsibilities, and Talan being so happy with her 'rock collecting' and being reunited with Faral.

Now here's a character who presents myriad possibilities. Faral might be someone who becomes a victim of Rae Et's plan, which might send Talan over the edge, or he might be the one to go postal if Talan is seriously injured or killed in this nasty rescue mission from the rebels. Or, you might put Enza or Lok Sim or Zara or Ching or (gasp!) Thia or one of the other characters you've made us care for in the crosshairs.

I applaud Lois's mental stability and her calm demeanor. The only negative (to me, anyway) is that she seems to have 'moved on' from dependence on Clark. I don't get the impression that she's ready for some other romantic entanglement - as if she'd have time for one - or that her love for Clark has diminished. Nor do I get the impression that she's lost any hope of Clark's eventual return. I just get the feeling that she's mentally and emotionally put Clark in the background, and if that's true, she'll have a hard time when he finally comes back. She'll either find it difficult to allow him deep into her heart again, or his appearance will completely pulverize her world. My bet would be the first option, but I wouldn't rule out the second.

As always, you have tons of great writing here, but this is my favorite passage:

Enza reached up to touch his face. "So maybe we should talk about…being less careful," she said.

"Downright reckless," he replied with a smile as he closed the distance between them and captured her lips in a soft kiss. "Completely irresponsible." He kissed her again.

"Totally incautious," she whispered, inches from his lips. The thought of having a child with him—bringing a life into the world together—made her almost giddy. She'd expected to be nervous, to think about all the reasons why they weren't ready, why the timing was off, why they should wait, but in truth, she wanted this. Badly. Enza had never known if she'd wanted children before Thia came into her life. But raising her niece was the most important thing she'd ever done. She could think of nothing she wanted more than to add another little person to their family.
I only have one thing to say about it.

Awww!

You have my attention still, and you have my support also. This chapter is excellent! I'm waiting for more as soon as you're ready to give it to us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
R
Rac Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
R
I know that several comments were lost when the message boards crashed, so apologize for not replying in detail to those very thoughtful comments.

Thank you for commenting and I'm very glad to see you enjoyed this section, especially the scene with Lok Sim and Enza. In truth, those really just seem to write themselves. I've come to like these characters a lot and it's immensely gratifying to know that most of you do as well.

Oh, and way back when, during the first year of Clark's absence, Lois won her first Pulitzer, but believe me, I don't blame you for not remembering that. It has been over a year since I posted that part.

I agree that Lois seems to be in Clark's thoughts more than Clark is in hers at the moment, but I don't think it's because she loves him any less or misses him any less. At this point, Clark *knows* he's going home. In his mind, it's not a matter of *if* he'll see his wife again, just a matter of when. That being the case, I think he's finally letting himself get excited about the prospect. Lois can't do the same thing. Unlike her, Clark isn't invulnerable and she doesn't even know if he's still alive. If she were constantly anticipating his return, she'd emotionally burn out very quickly. Being cautiously hopeful is about all she can be. Not that this explanation means that she isn't or won't experience emotional turmoil in subsequent chapters. I certainly wouldn't make any such promises. wink

More is coming up now. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment.

Regards,

Rac

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard