authour note: i will dance for feedback. No joke.

We are now landing at the Metro-Airport; all passengers remain in your seats until the plane comes to a complete stop. Thank you for choosing LexAir flight number 453 non-stop from Los Angelus to Metropolis. Have a nice day.

“About bloody time” Remington groused, he’d never been a good traveler. Nor was he one to complain, but 6 hours on a plane filled with sugar hyped children and obnoxious adults talking loudly to one another, was enough to make even him crack.

Laura said nothing, but internally she echoed his sentiment. She’d never really been much of an aviator herself, but being a PI demanded constant change of local.

As soon as they had their feet on the ground both detectives breathed a sigh of deep relief. “I’ll go and claim our bags at the luggage carousel. You call and confirm our reservations at the Lexor” Remington nodded, and watched, appreciatively, as Laura walked away. Sensing his lecherous stare she put an extra wiggle in her step and demurely glanced over her shoulder. Confirming her suspicions she gave a brief flirtatious smile and continued toward the baggage claim area.

What a woman. Remington thought with a self-satisfied grin. His was truly a remarkable marriage; while most men grew less attracted to their mates, he was only pulled toward her more strongly. Where most men were plagued with constant nagging and bickering, he was blessed with passionate arguments that led to more, amorous, activities later. Laura never ceased to amaze him. She had saved him, in more ways then he knew he needed saving. The man with no name, no family, no history, a shady past, and no emotional attachments was given a second chance. There was no way he would allow himself to destroy it, and heaven help anyone else that tried.

“Ready to go Mr. Steele?” Laura had returned to his side unbeknownst to him during his introspection, both of their bags trailing behind her.

“Laura—I’m always ready and willing to go and do whatever you say. After all these years how could you doubt me?” his teasing smile glinted at her, and she produced one in return.

“You have so many facets Mr. Steele,” she purred running her hand up the lapel of his blazer “I lose track sometimes”

“What do you suggest we do about that Mrs. Steele?” he said capturing her small hand in his larger one, bringing it to his lips for a brief kiss.

Laura simply smiled. She was as vulnerable to his rakish charms now, as she was the day she met him. Nothing she could ever do would change that, and she wouldn’t if she had the opportunity.

Their eyes met, and shortly there after, so did their mouths. Molding together seamlessly, like a long perfected dance.

When at last they separated Laura, being the more logical of the two, suggested that they seek transportation to the Lexor. Steele agreed, as he didn’t relish the idea of providing the fine folks of Metropolis with a floorshow.

So, hand in hand luggage trailing behind them, the two detectives made their way out into the snow.

“Taxi!!”

Lois had been standing in the freezing cold for almost 20 minutes, trying in vein to raise a cab. What’s with this city? She fumed, whenever I don’t need a cab there are a hundred of them all over the streets, but the one-day I actually need one there are none to be found—irony sucks. Well at least I’m not the only one stranded in a blizzard she thought sardonically. To her far right stood a man and a woman; they were having about the same luck she was procuring a vehicle.

The man was about six-foot she guessed, black hair, tailored suit, and a long tan trench coat. The woman was auburn haired, and was wearing a Donna Karen suit similar to one that she owned.

The man had his hands in his pockets in a show of defeat. At present he was glancing at the few cars passing along the thoroughfare, no doubt searching for any flash of yellow that may happen past.

Lois felt kind of sorry for the two. Judging by their appearance, and possession of luggage they must have just taken the shuttle from the airport. Out of towners always had it bad in big cities.

A yellow metro-cab pulled up along side her; the cab driver, a portly man in his 50’s, leaned toward the passenger side window expectantly.

“Where you headed miss?” he said in a thick suicide slums accent—actually it
came out sounding like “w’ere ya heded mizz?” but, having lived in the city her whole life, Lois had not problem comprehending.

“LexCorp and—“she was cut-off unexpectedly by a man’s voice.

“We need to get to the Lexor. That is if you don’t mind sharing a cab miss?”

“Oh…I…uh…no I don’t mind. The more the merrier I always say.” <Yeah right Lois.>

She watched powerlessly as the young couple from the airport hustled into the cab. The man sat to her immediate right, and his wife—girlfriend—whatever planted herself right next to him.

“You don’t know how much we appreciate this.” Laura said breathlessly “we’ve been waiting there for almost an hour.”

“Well I’m sure you’d do the same if you were in my position.” She laughed, slightly uncomfortable with the nearness of the seating arrangements.

Deciding she’d rather spend the duration of the 30 minute cab ride sans uncomfortable silence, Lois attempted pleasant conversation “So what brings you folks to Metropolis?” she asked, not the slightest bit interested, but feigning curiosity anyway.

“Actually it’s funny you should ask” Steele said. A large grin overcoming his, entirely too handsome face, “We’re private in-“

“Insurance salesmen—woman—people.” Laura cut in, giving her counterpart a furious glance “Private insurance sales representatives actually, and there’s a big…uh…um”

“Colloquium” Steele added, catching on. “Yes a gathering, if you will, of the finest minds in personal, private, commerce, and health indemnity. We go every year. Isn’t that right Mrs. Groggins?”

“Groggins?” Lois said, a bit disbelievingly.

“Yes Myrtle Groggins my faithful subordinate, and I’m Anthony Ruggles—assistant secretary general of claims adjustment for Bogart, Peck, and Finney insurance.” He extended his hand politely and Lois shook.

“I’m Lois. Lois Lane, I work for the Daily Planet.” Laura, who was at present trying not to jettison her husband out the window, turned suddenly when she learned the name of her traveling companion.

“You’re THE Lois Lane.” She asked, her admiration unmistakably emanating from her face. “Not the same Lois Lane who gave a speech on, “Woman in Dangerous Professions”, at UC Berkley eight months ago?”

Lois blushed unused to being so openly recognized “Yup, I’m that Lois Lane. You attended the seminar then?”

“Oh…well… no me and Mr. S—Ruggles had pressing business in San Diego, but I listened to you on the radio en route to our destination. I was more than impressed that someone so young would have such an obviously in-depth insight.”

Lois blushed redder still causing her, normally fair, skin to turn almost crimson. “I…well…thank you” she said unable to string a decent sentence together. “I’m glad someone enjoyed it”

She certainly remembered the afore mentioned event; about eight months ago Perry, in his “infinite” wisdom, had signed her up to speak at the annual “women’s rights” seminar in California. He had hoped to up circulation on the west coast, by sending a Planet rep to UC Berkley. Naively she’d gone, and came to find out that she was expected to speak, not about journalism, but the exclusion of women in dangerous lines of work.

Suffice to say she’d been quite unprepared to give such a speech, but in true “Lois Lane” fashion she winged it. And to her great surprise was treated to a standing ovation at the end of the lecture. Circulation went up, and Perry was all grins and Elvis stories by the time she got back to Metropolis.

That was back when she was a reputable journalist. Now she was a pathetic shell of her former self, sobbing dejectedly into bowls of high calorie, low nutrition, and fat-filled ice cream—at mid-day no less.

Amidst her self loathing, the cab slowed its progression, and without warning it whipped around and pulled itself tightly up to the curb of the Lexor Hotel.

“Lexor. That’s gonna be twenty-five o five Mr.” the cabby reached his grubby hand through the sliding back window expectantly.

“Here you are mate.” Remington said with a friendly smile “keep the change.”

“Oh-gee a whole seventy-five cents, now I can put my kids through college.” Rolling his eyes the cabbie tossed the money into his change drawer.

“Well it was so wonderful sharing a cab with you miss Lane, but unfortunately our time is at an end.” In a manner that would have made his childhood hero Clark Gable proud, Remington took Lois’s hand and gave it a courteous peck on its anterior side.

For the third time that day Lois flushed, but for an entirely different reason.

Laura chuckled. That was Mr. Steele a gentlemen at all times.

Laura and Remington retrieved their bags from the trunk of the auto, and made their way through the revolving doors of the Lexor.

What a nice couple Lois thought as the cab pulled away. A bit strange perhaps, but defiantly good people.

New Rule: Don't call me when you're stuck in traffic. It's not my fault radio sucks. And did it ever occur to you that there wouldn't be so much traffic if people like you put down the phone and concentrated on the road? Besides, I can't talk now--I'm in the car behind you, trying to watch a DVD.~Bill Maher