Thanks to my wonderful beta-reader LaraMoon

From Part 8:

Superman was devastated when he returned from his rescue. Lots of people had died and it wasn’t really soothing him that it would have been a lot worse without him. He didn’t know whether to fly quickly or slowly. Quickly in order to escape the horrible place, slowly because he didn’t know how to face Lois right now. He couldn’t tell if he would be able to pull the heroic face that a Superman was supposed to wear. His disguise had never been weaker than today. Superman probably had never seemed to be more human and at the same time had never felt so alien. He was returning home alone, there wasn’t even the possibility of discussing this with his colleagues. Fire fighters weren’t really his co-workers and those who were could never know about this.

Serendipitous Infinity

Part 9:

He let out a pained sigh and suddenly heard a familiar name, so he decided to listen in. He heard it again and a couple of minutes later someone else mentioned it. Only this name - Robert Virdis. Superman flew a little lower in order to hear more of the conversation, but even getting closer didn’t help to hear more. The name was repeated over and over again, but there was no pattern. And as Superman concentrated on the words more carefully, he realized that the people below him were not saying Robert Virdis, it was Robur Viridis. It startled him, but he knew that this had to be Latin. He didn’t understand what it meant, but it wouldn’t be difficult to find out. Was this what Henry Meadows had tried to tell Lois? What if he hadn’t been referring to a person but a code? That would definitely explain why they hadn’t found Robert Virdis. He just didn’t exist.

Superman was just above the Smithsonian Institute of Metropolis. Another coincidence. But it wasn’t so strange anymore. Actually, he had already known that it held the solution to some mysteries of the past month. This was his chance to learn more, and so he landed in a save distance from the Institute to avoid being noticed. Superman mused that his suit would be seen too easily, even in the darkness, and changed back into Clark. He ran closer to the place where the voices had come from, carefully staying out of sight. His heart was beating hard and he felt a certain uneasiness in his stomach. It was fear. Clark was aware that these people were likely to have a connection to the incident in the back alley of his apartment building. What if it happened again, whatever had actually made him weak? He had to go back to Lois and Becca. This time it wouldn’t just be the staircase that separated him from his apartment.

He went on. He would feel that headache again, wouldn’t he? This time he knew what to expect. If it happened again, he would be prepared. He trembled nonetheless as he approached a group of people. Clark x-rayed them, but somehow this was pointless since he didn’t know what to look for. They were not carrying anything out of the ordinary. But Clark stayed put, just to be sure that nothing unforeseeable happened to him. He needed to get home in one piece and with all his powers. He listened in on their conversation.

“Are they already here?” one of the men asked nervously. He looked around, but obviously didn’t spot whoever he searched for. He shivered and wrapped his arms around himself. His glance returned to the others, waiting for the answer.

“They still have to be careful. Too much has happened tonight. I heard that they were successful. The pieces really were aboard the train. As far as I know they could collect them. Our boss advised them to stay hidden for a few days and join us in Smallville,” another man replied.

“What is this about Smallville anyway? What are we supposed to do there?” the first man wanted to know. The others only shrugged and shook their heads. They obviously didn’t know.

Clark couldn’t help the impression that whoever the boss was, he wanted the Smallville meteorite. At least it would explain the pieces they had mentioned. Or could there be something else? And why should anyone find pieces of a meteorite on a train in Metropolis, if it had originally landed in Smallville? It was strange and sounded impossible. But if Henry Meadows had really taken the meteorites to Metropolis and they had been stolen afterwards, maybe someone was searching for them now? But why?

Clark didn’t want to go any closer. Lois and he were better off if the bad guys weren’t aware that they had found their trace. This had to be something big. He was afraid that he knew what train they had been speaking about. But how could they have known that the train was going to derail? Unless…he didn’t really dare think about it. They couldn’t have killed people to get pieces of a meteorite, could they? Clark felt sick to his stomach. He had to go. He had promised Lois and Becca to get back soon and he had already been gone for hours. Clark went away from the mysterious group of people to change back into Superman without anyone watching him. Minutes later, he took off and headed back to his apartment.

As he floated above his terrace, Clark heard a soft voice. It was Lois and she was singing a song, barely audible but for him. Her voice was beautiful, sending shivers down his spine. She sang only for herself, wandering through his apartment. Clark hadn’t imagined Lois as a person who sang when she was on her own. He listened in. He knew the song, it was a lullaby. Had she sung it for Becca as well? Clark wished he had been there, he wished he knew for sure. Many years had passed since he had last heard such a beautiful voice. Clark kept floating; he didn’t want to touch the ground yet, not when flying had such unexpected advantages to it. He was pretty sure that Lois would stop singing as soon as she noticed Superman.

The song was over far too soon and Clark acknowledged that he had to return to reality. He had to give Lois the interview, as uncomfortable as he felt with seeing things about him printed. Superman landed on Clark’s terrace, making sure that Lois noticed his approach. He didn’t know what he wanted to tell her. There wasn’t much he could share with the world. As soon as his feet touched the ground, Lois was in front of him. She smiled, almost shyly.

“Superman,” she whispered in awe. Superman couldn’t help feeling flustered by the tone of her voice and the way she looked at him. “I’ve been searching for you.”

“I know,” he replied firmly. He tried not to let her see what her look did to him, how his knees went weak as her gaze travelled from his chest down. “I met Clark and he told me about your problems.” Fortunately his voice sounded completely unaffected. It was surprising though. Considering his current thoughts, he would have expected it to be husky, if working at all.

“You met Clark?” Lois asked surprised. “Where is that guy? Do you know what kind of appointment he had?”

“I have no idea. But I know that he covered my latest rescue,” Superman explained, hoping that Lois wouldn’t dig to deep in it. “There was a terrible train accident.”

“Oh, I understand.” Lois said. “How did he hear about that?” she muttered under her breath. Superman ignored the question that she obviously hadn’t asked him.

“I don’t know, maybe he saw the news on TV,” Superman replied. He wasn’t sure if there had actually been any reporters around. He hadn’t had time to pay attention to anything but the pile of wreckage. But Lois seemed to buy it, she didn’t object but nodded instead.

“Will… will you give me an interview? I mean, I know you have been reluctant… it’s just… this is important for me, for us. Perry - I mean our Editor-in-Chief - he desperately wants this interview. Clark has been a bit overhasty, I’m afraid.” Lois started babbling.

“Don’t worry, Lois. You will get the interview. How could I say no to a woman like you?” Superman said softly. It took a moment until it dawned on him what he had just said. Darn it, he should really be more careful with his raging hormones. Where had that come from? He cursed himself, sending a quick prayer to Heaven that Lois would forget about this slip.

“A woman like me?” Lois blushed, obviously flattered. The shade of red only made her more attractive. Superman felt his heart rate increase and wished he could change into Clark to enjoy the moment to the fullest. But he was better off not doing that. He couldn’t let Lois in on his secret and Superman wasn’t supposed to have close relationships with anyone. People had a certain idea of him and they might take it badly if that image was destroyed. Superman was for everyone, he didn’t prefer someone over someone else.

“I’d have to be blind not to notice that you are an attractive woman, Lois.” He tried to sound matter-of-factly, as if this wasn’t emotionally affecting him. What a hypocrite he was.

“So you are a man?” Lois asked, blushing even more. “Sorry, this is such a stupid question, but you know, men usually don’t fly, I mean…”

“I know what you mean, Lois. Am I a man? Well, I’m a man as in I am male, but I’m not sure I’m human,” he said gently.

“You… you are not sure?” Lois asked incredulously.

“I believe that I’m an alien, but I don’t really know much about my origins.” *Not much* was an understatement. His parents had only been able to tell him that they had found him in some kind of spaceship. “You can write that I was not born on earth.” If it wasn’t the truth, it wouldn’t hurt anyone. He hadn’t found out where he came from in 27 years now, why should it suddenly change?

“What else can you do? Apart from flying, I mean?”

“I’m pretty strong, but I guess you know that already. I can see through things and I have something I call heat-vision,” Superman answered.

“Heat vision? Does that mean you can heat things up with your eyes?” Lois asked.

“Yes, but not only that. When I concentrate on a spot I can use my eyes like a laser. Or I can warm up your cold hands. Trust me?” he asked and gently took her hand in his. As she nodded her agreement, he sent comforting warmth in her fingers that were frozen from the winter air.

“Thanks,” she muttered, blushing. “How do you know when someone is in trouble?” Lois wanted to know, studying his face as if she could find the answer there. “Oh, I remember, you’ve got super-hearing, don’t you?” Superman nodded. “Is there anything else? Are you telepathic?”

“Not that I know of.” He chuckled. “I’ve got a pretty strong breath. I can show you, but you better get out of the way, or warming up your fingers was for nothing.” Superman used his frosty breath, knowing that this was the only visible power besides flying and super-strength. “I guess you’d call it super-breath, huh?” Lois laughed at his comment and nodded.

Her smile made her more beautiful than ever. She was obviously enjoying Superman’s company. If she’d just look at Clark the same way, he thought miserably. But then, hadn’t he promised himself not to get romantically involved with Lois Lane? Not that she wanted it; there was surely no danger from her side. But he had to take care that he didn’t lose his heart completely to her. Maybe it was already too late, he mused, as her beautiful smile filled his heart with warmth.

Superman thought back to the people who had died on the train. A rush of guilt washed over him for feeling so happy shortly after having seen such grief and misery. Lois noticed it. Her smile vanished and was replaced by concern. It was almost the same expression she had had when Clark had told her about his problems. It was strangely comforting to see her care for him, for both his selves.

“Are you all right, Superman?” she asked. He shook his head, unable to fool her.

“Not really. The last rescue… has been tough,” he only whispered the last bit, sensing that it was inappropriate for Superman to show such weakness. He didn’t look at Lois; instead he desperately tried to rebuild the wall of strength behind which he could hide his true feelings. Lois was quicker than him; stronger. She found her way through his weak lines of defence and made him tell more.

“I’m sorry,” Lois murmured self-consciously. “I guess I never considered how hard these rescues have to be on you. You know, I’m glad that you came to us, Superman. Mankind needs someone like you.” She stepped a little closer to him, touching his arms that were folded across his chest. Before Superman even realized what was going on, she placed a kiss on his cheek. Embarrassed by her own nerve she stepped back again, leaving Superman longing for a real kiss.

“I don’t think there is more that I can tell you,” Superman said, this time unable to prevent his voice from getting husky. “Goodnight, Lois.” He gave her a brief smile, before he lifted off into the sky. He could feel her glance on him, admiring and yearning. Superman had been crazy to get this close to Lois. When she saw the same foolish lovingly expression on both Superman’s and Clark’s face, wouldn’t she just know the truth? Nobody could be so stupid!

to be continued...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool