Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38993 02/12/07 08:12 AM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Oh, how touching! How painful! This is brilliant! No wonder it threatened to keep you awake. Thank you for sharing this with us, bakasi.

“I would have let you go, Clark. Simply because I love you.”
Brilliant. Simple, elegant, and brilliant. And so very heart-rending.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#38994 02/12/07 08:32 AM
Columnist
Columnist
wow really full of emotion.

Thank you.

I can see both suffering.

#38995 02/12/07 09:39 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The best explanation for why Lois would still date Clark after all the times he ran out on her.

Beautiful.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#38996 02/12/07 10:27 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Aw, this was so touching and beautiful.
I loved it.

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#38997 02/12/07 10:47 AM
Kerth
Kerth
You're getting better and better. Awwww!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#38998 02/12/07 01:18 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love it!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#38999 02/12/07 02:04 PM
V
vsp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
V
Yeah, that was nice. smile

You know, that whole Clark making stupid excuses to Lois so that he could secretly change into Superman kind of bugged me while I was watching the show.

I mean, honestly, if someone was in imminent life-threatening danger and he could save them, shouldn't he be willing to reveal his secret to get every last millisecond of time that might mean the difference between life and death?

But I guess it would be tough to ask the writers of the show to think of some situation where he could leave to be Superman ASAP AND still protect his secret identity.

#39000 02/12/07 08:03 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Finally! I always thought Clark would reveal himself once he felt close enough to Lois if he was forced to.

You did a great job conveying his emotion in that moment!

#39001 02/12/07 10:06 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Super-awesome!!

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#39002 02/13/07 01:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ohhh, wow. notworthy

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#39003 02/13/07 05:50 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
With a finger she darts at me, threateningly. It’s not her finger I fear, though. It’s her expression that conveys her real feelings.
Beautiful. There is no way that Lois can hurt Clark physically, but her own pain can hurt him more than most things.

With her voice and finger she is trying to convince me that she’s furious. And I bet she wants to be
Interesting. She's just pretending to be furious?

I’ve been here at seven and at seven-oh-one.
Love that. I can imagine him darting furtive glances at his watch. Seven sharp, and no Superman emergencies. Seven-oh-one, and no Superman emergencies....

She’s not really furious; my love is already beyond that.
She isn't furious....

Lois is utterly disappointed, her pretended madness betrayed by the tears in her eyes.
Yes, he's running out on her again for seemingly no reason, and she is devastated.

It cuts right through me, killing me slowly just like the people whose desperate cries for help I hear.
Great sentence.

“I’m sorry, Lois,” I mutter, apologetically. I know that it is not enough, that she deserves more – the truth. I can’t stay simply because I’m Superman. But the words won’t come… simply because I’m too afraid.
But here's where my blood pressure starts rising. He's dating her, right? This is a date? He knows there may be a Superman emergency in the middle of it, so that he may have to leave for seemingly no reason. And even so he hasn't told her that he is Superman.

“Don’t you dare go now,” she says hoarsely. It was meant to be another yell. She prepares for fight, taking the position that she uses to defend herself against villains. “Tell me why!” She demands in a last attempt of intimidating me, of forcing me to tell her what I have been hiding from her.
Oh, Lois, I sympathize so completely.

I open my mouth, but not a single word comes out. My mind is blank, but for the pain. Knowing that people are dying out there is excruciating. Seeing my poor Lois suffer is not any easier. She sees that I am not going to tell her the truth.
<grumble>

The cries are sounding more and more urgent. And I know that I’m dying anyway. The decision is not about my life but about the lives of others. It will kill me when they die though I could have done something.
I sympathize, Clark.

Losing Lois will kill me as well.
Excuse me? What? Why are you going to lose Lois? Because you are going to leave without telling her? Do that, buster, and you deserve to lose her. I won't feel the least bit sorry for you.

Or do you think you are going to lose Lois if you tell her the truth about yourself? Well, if you think she is going to dislike the fact that you are Superman, then you shouldn't date her as Clark. That is misleading her.

On the other hand, why would Lois be so upset about the fact that you are Superman? She has always loved Superman. Isn't it a good thing that you are him? Isn't it likely that Lois will like you just as much as before if you tell her the truth about yourself?

Okay, Barbara, do I hate Clark's lies about himself to Lois or do I hate Clark's lies about himself to Lois?

I open my mouth again to say the words that could change everything. But it’s not the right moment.
Let's see... that Wednesday in July was not the right moment, and last Christmas was not the right moment, and your almost-first-date was not the right moment, and her last birthday was not the right moment, and you coming back to her after being shot was not the right moment.... Geeh, what a lot of not right moments there are for telling Lois your secret! No wonder this isn't the right moment either, then.

“Go,” she says suddenly. Her shoulders sink down, defeated. The tears that she has been trying to restrain roll down her cheeks now. “Go,” she repeats, making it clear that this is her final say.
Poor Lois. She is dating a man who keeps running out on her for seemingly no reason, and he will never tell her why. Because, you know, it's never the right moment.

I look into her beautiful eyes and see her sadness. I can’t just go and I can’t stay either. The shock of seeing her turn away from me, finally gives me the strength to speak.
Oh, wow! That man has a spine somewhere underneath all those impressive muscles?

“I have to go, Lois. I’m Superman.” I spin around and stand in front of her. For the first time in two years it embarrasses me to wear those flashy colours in front of her. I betrayed her, I lied. And I kept hiding this for too long. The spandex suit is testament to my betrayal.
Yes, you behaved badly, Clark. But you shouldn't die of shame now that you've finally respected her enough to tell her the truth about you.

“I’m so sorry, Lois. I can’t let those people die. I promise we will talk about this later.” My voice is barely a whisper. I don’t know whether I’ve lost her now. Maybe she will not forgive me. I glance at her one more time, trying to tell her how much she means to me. But even words can’t say how bad I feel about this.
You are blaming yourself for the wrong thing, Clark. Telling her now was right. It was the two years of lying that was wrong.

In the dark night around me I hear Lois’ voice, far away as a faint whisper. “I would have let you go, Clark. Simply because I love you.”
This is extremely beautiful. Lois loves Clark even though he has been cowardly enough not to tell her. She would have let him go, and she would probably have taken him back. And if she hadn't stood up to him, he would have kept lying to her.

I keep insisting that Lois has loved Clark more and better than Clark has loved her.

Sorry, Barbara. This is truly a beautiful vignette, and as you can see, everybody else loves it. I don't dislike it, don't get me wrong - I like it. It's just that Clark's inability to tell Lois the truth about himself drives me up the wall.

Ann

#39004 02/13/07 08:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's just that Clark's inability to tell Lois the truth about himself drives me up the wall.
Okay, Ann. So I succeded, you didn't stay untouched by this.

Even if Clark's point of view makes your blood pressure rise (which of course isn't good for your health, I apologize), I think it's the best way to show the feelings of both.

And I have to admit that although I'm seemingly alone with this opinion, I like to be the advocate for Clark's not telling Lois earlier.

#39005 02/13/07 10:46 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Wow. This is very well written, bakasi. Clark had better be ready to do a lot of explaining when he gets back, but I think he's already forgiven. She might even tell him so ... eventually.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#39006 02/13/07 11:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I keep insisting that Lois has loved Clark more and better than Clark has loved her.
I agree to some point, but considering Clark's insecurity about being loved despite being so different, which is a carryover from just trying to be accepted, and Lois insecurity about men and their tendency to hurt her, I can somewhat forgive a little bit on both sides since they both have problems figuring out how to successfully date.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#39007 02/13/07 11:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved it! Short and sweet but so much was conveyed. ^_^ Thank you for sharing it.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#39008 02/13/07 11:12 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Very nice, Barbara!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#39009 02/13/07 07:22 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That was beautiful. "I would have let you go, Clark, just because I love you."

...It brought tears to my eyes. It's so sweet and simple, especially right after such a gigantic revelation.

Thank you so much for sharing!

SmirkyRaven

#39010 02/14/07 01:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow!!! Thank you guys! I've never before received so much feedback on one of my stories. I'm honored and happy! Thank you so much!!!

notworthy

#39011 02/14/07 01:33 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
thumbsup
Barb

#39012 02/14/07 12:38 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree to some point, but considering Clark's insecurity about being loved despite being so different, which is a carryover from just trying to be accepted, and Lois insecurity about men and their tendency to hurt her, I can somewhat forgive a little bit on both sides since they both have problems figuring out how to successfully date.
That is exactly the way I see it, Woody. I've just never really been able to express it that well.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard