Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38796 02/09/07 06:06 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
SMIRKYEEEE!!!!

party

I can finally live out the rest of this week in peace!
*runs off to read* love

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#38797 02/09/07 06:23 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
<broad, happy grin>

blush laugh blush

<sits down to eagerly await the upcoming reviews>

SmirkyRaven

#38798 02/09/07 07:12 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
With a burst of speed that put even his previous sprint to shame, Clark disappeared into the night, a light in his eyes that hadn’t been seen there for many days past.
hyper
Her newbie, inexperienced, naïve partner had been right. She had been wrong.

How could she have been so blind to Lex Luthor’s true character?

How could she have missed the signs?
YES! hyper YES! hyper

clap

Framework4
#38799 02/09/07 07:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, so I read all 34 parts in one go tonight, and I have just one quote that stands out.

Bored of happy things?
Come read Darkest Dreams!
Holy crap. You weren't kidding.

I need a recovery period.

And I can't wait for the next part <g>.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#38800 02/09/07 07:56 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the reviews, everyone!

Framework4 wrote:

hyper hyper hyper clap
Wow. Where's the party? <looks around>

lol. Thanks for your review. I'll translate the emoticons to English and decide that you must have liked this last chapter. <sage nod> Well, thank you so much for your enthusiasm. It really does help feed the Muses!

Shadow wrote:
Okay, so I read all 34 parts in one go tonight
shock Wow! That's not a small feat, considering the length. Talk about an overdose of angst! Go play in the sunlight, read a happy fic (have you read the FolCs in the Mist? It's hilarious--I highly recommend it) and then go to sleep after a cheerful day and dream of happy things.

I've kind of wanted to reread it all in one go, just to check to see if the tone and writing style wasn't jerky from chapter to chapter, but I've put more writing above rereading at the moment on my list of things to do. How did it work for you?

I have just one quote that stands out.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bored of happy things?
Come read Darkest Dreams!
lol. Wasn't that back in...like, chapter 10 or something? It was a pre-chapter note, and I remember being in a particularly odd mood...

Funny to look back on that. Maybe I should make it my motto.

I need a recovery period.

And I can't wait for the next part
I'm glad you survived, and especially glad that you're still with us! Welcome to the insanity! Thank you so much for your review!

Whoa, Shadow. And you're one of those really experienced people with thousands of posts. I am *very* honored to have you aboard then! <salutes>

Have a *happy* day!

SmirkyRaven

#38801 02/09/07 08:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've kind of wanted to reread it all in one go, just to check to see if the tone and writing style wasn't jerky from chapter to chapter, but I've put more writing above rereading at the moment on my list of things to do. How did it work for you?
Honestly, if anything was jerky, I wouldn't have noticed because I feel this black shadow of angst dropped over every part after everything that's happened. You do that dark and soul-shattering thing really well, you know. <g>

And you're one of those really experienced people with thousands of posts. I am *very* honored to have you aboard then! <salutes>
Okay, see, you say really experienced, but I immediately think of my incapability to shut up. <g> Even with the last four years of garnering these posts, it's still shameful. <g>

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#38802 02/09/07 08:16 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
lol. It's still great, though. And four years is a long time. I new here, even as a reader, let alone a poster...and a *writer*! <shakes head at self> I can't see how I got into this...

<obsessively goes back to writing>

SmirkyRaven

#38803 02/09/07 08:41 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Great chapter, Smirkster! drool

Fury overtook him. To the would-be-mugger and maybe worse, it seemed like the knife in his hand simply disappeared in a gust of wind—and a terrible pain like he had punched a brick wall rang up his arm.

The man howled.

Even the howl was cut short, though. Before the woman had a chance to think of reacting, there was a second gust of wind and the grizzled man collapsed at her feet unexplainably, unconscious.
I suppose I should care that he actually hurt the guy, but I can't really seem to. The guy's only human, after all. Sort of.

He smiled.

“Help! Superman!”

Clark didn’t hesitate this time. He was ready.

With a burst of speed that put even his previous sprint to shame, Clark disappeared into the night, a light in his eyes that hadn’t been seen there for many days past.
thumbsup

A picture of a scene from Dante’s Inferno brought Lois up short. It was a gruesome scene, depicting certain levels of the descent into Hell—from men standing in boiling blood or lying on burning sand to those sinners lying disemboweled or infirm, yet eternally alive in their anguish.

Lois’s eyes drifted down the terrible scene, until her gaze stilled upon the furious apparition of the three-headed devil, the red flames of eternity reflecting off his bare and hairless heads as he stood, tall, terrible, and triumphant amidst his horrible kingdom.

Lex Luthor was created in Hell, and is commonly known among his peers as the oldest son of Satan, also known as Lucifer…

She had thought it jokingly, some time ago. But it didn’t seem so funny, right now.
This one will go up on my personal list of best bits of writing by a fanfiction author I have ever read. Alfred Hitchcock would love you!

“Of course,” Lois said, her voice still strangely detached, and she meant it. She didn’t mean to drag Luthor’s name through the gossip columns. No. The created character of Lex Luthor was going to die an infamous death, and the devil that hid behind his façade was going to rot in jail, no matter how sick he was.

Serves him right, her inner voice snarled. She found she didn’t want to quiet it, this time.

Curse him. Curse him to death. May he die in jail, defamed and fallen, never to rise again. Lois swore it would be so.

It was far too good of a fate for him. Let him be locked up in a white room. Let him rot away in lonely white terror and black dreams.

He had hurt Superman. He had filled his eyes with shadows, and Lois’s dreams with nightmares. He had watched it all, caused it all, and now he was hiding and waiting behind a smile…Waiting to strike again…Daring to call himself good, as beneath his white face he hid darkness, and blood, and screams.

Let him rot with the devils that call him kin.
Wow! I feel it!

clap Please, please, update as soon as humanly possible! And we shalt build monuments in thy honour and hail you as Good and Greate, and Queen of all she surveys! notworthy grovel grovel

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#38804 02/09/07 09:05 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
thumbsup blush

Wowweee! Lady_Mirth, that is the review of a century!

thumbsup

Thanks for this most amazing review!

SmirkyRaven

#38805 02/09/07 09:58 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Wow! Amazing part!

The problem wasn’t fate, necessarily. It was people. Someone had targeted her, and targeted Superman. Someone who was still out there.

Someone who could put Lois Lane on fate’s bad side again.

There was a knock at the door.
And that someone is right outside your door now. I just loved how you worded these three sentences.

“Lois, my dear. You look stunning this evening,” Lex intoned, presenting her with the flowers.
Ugh! Anyone have a fly swatter so I can swat away this annoying pest? grumble

Lois took them. Their scent wafted up towards her. They smelled like new rain and clean ocean—like the air above Metropolis, when she flew with Him.
Lex’s flowers even remind her of Superman. Something tells me that wasn’t Lex’s intention.

Lex sat back, wearing a slight frown of disapproval. “Ah, yes. Clark Kent.”

Lois didn’t like his tone of voice. “Yes, Clark Kent,” she affirmed.

“Considering your elite status among reporters, I am still astounded that Mr. White would put you with someone so inexperienced.”

“Clark isn’t that bad,” Lois said, almost defensively. “He may be experienced, but we all had to start somewhere. He has a good heart, and he’s one of the better writers I’ve come across.”

She didn’t know why she was defending him. After all, he had been quite useless throughout their whole dealings with the Primaries earlier that day. But still . . . that was between her and Clark, and it certainly wasn’t Lex’s business to know or his place to criticize her partner.
You go girl! Someone hand Lois a fly swatter!

Prometheus Project.

C.O. MP murdered.

Clark had written those down in his suspicion sheet for Lex Luthor. Lois remembered, having chuckled over the old thing more than once over the past couple weeks. Now, though, she couldn’t help but wonder.

What if…

What if Clark Kent was right after all?
Someone give her a gold star! She’s starting to see the light! Now the real fun begins!

Lex knew. He had seen everything.

She needed to get out of here. Now.
Don’t panic, Lois!

“Of course,” Lois said, her voice still strangely detached, and she meant it. She didn’t mean to drag Luthor’s name through the gossip columns. No. The created character of Lex Luthor was going to die an infamous death, and the devil that hid behind his façade was going to rot in jail, no matter how sick he was.

Serves him right, her inner voice snarled. She found she didn’t want to quiet it, this time.

Curse him. Curse him to death. May he die in jail, defamed and fallen, never to rise again. Lois swore it would be so.

It was far too good of a fate for him. Let him be locked up in a white room. Let him rot away in lonely white terror and black dreams.

He had hurt Superman. He had filled his eyes with shadows, and Lois’s dreams with nightmares. He had watched it all, caused it all, and now he was hiding and waiting behind a smile…Waiting to strike again…Daring to call himself good, as beneath his white face he hid darkness, and blood, and screams.

Let him rot with the devils that call him kin.
This is fantastic writing! I love her anger here.

Lex downed the rest of his wine and set down the glass carefully on the balcony railing. “They’re not sure,” he replied, emotionlessly. “My condition was not good. Until two days ago I was bedridden, and we thought the worst.” He paused, looking over at her. His eyes lingered on her like a touch, and he smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “All is not lost, however. With research my doctors have discovered a type of radiation treatment, and with a slightly altered version of the usual attack against such illness, we have good hope for full recovery.”
eek Was Superman taken and experimented on because of Luthor’s illness?

Lois collapsed on her bed, her body shaking as she found herself helpless against the unexplainable tears. She curled in on herself, feeling cold, furious, so afraid, so alone . . .

“Superman,” Lois choked between her tears, hugging herself as she shut her eyes against the world. “K-kal-El. Superman. I really, really need you right now. Please. Please. P-please. S-superman...”

Silence, but for her own shuddering breaths around her tears as rain began to patter against the darkened window.
Now I’d like to hit Clark with a fly swatter! Go to her, Clark. She needs you and you need her.

This story is just amazing! I'm so glad to see Lois finally seeing the truth. Now all we need is for the last puzzle piece to fall into place...that Clark is Superman! laugh

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#38806 02/10/07 01:22 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just a quick really, really, really, really good!

#38807 02/10/07 02:23 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh wow, after Hasini's amazing review, there surely isn't much to add. I'll just throw my two cents in....

Even though you’ve been raised as a human being, you’re not one of them.
I hate this. It's all Superman II, the movie that defined Superman in such a way that I thought that I would never be a Superman fan again. Superman has to think of himself primarily as Clark, primarily as a part of this humanity which he is protecting. If he isn't one of them, if he isn't one of us, then he is elevating himself to a kind of godhood, and I feel convinced that only very, very bad things can come out of that.

He had never felt so alone.
Exactly, Clark. Either you are one of us, or else you may as well leave the Earth and spend the rest of your days on Mars, for all the difference it will make when it comes to having friends and enjoying togetherness.

He was tired. Fear had drained him, and instead of spending the evening with Lois—even an angry, focused, intense Lois—he was walking in the dark, a solitary man amidst humanity, but not a part of them.
No, Clark! Don't think that way. And don't dismiss Lois like that. So she doesn't like Clark Kent right now. Why is that? Have you been turning yourself into a more stuttering fool than you had to? You know there is no chance that she dislikes everything about you. She liked you as Superman, she adored you as Superman, even when you were injured and broken. There are things about you that speak so strongly to her, even now - so you must fight for her.

He’d go home, order a pizza, and watch a mindless and light-hearted movie—preferably the most foolish and pointless one he could find. Maybe he’d even call Jimmy and see if he wanted to join him…
Jimmy. frown When I figured out that the extent of Superman's non-formal interaction with humanity might be Jimmy, I knew that this aloof Kryptonian held no interest to me any more.

“Help, Superman!”

Clark’s hand flew up to his tie and he had taken a quick step towards the next shadowed alley before he stopped himself dead in his tracks. No. Superman wasn’t back. He was still grounded...

He didn’t care.

In a fraction of a second the wide-eyed, helpless expression evaporated from Clark’s face. His jaw tightened, and something flashed in his eyes behind his glasses.

He didn’t care.

Another moment, and the space where Clark Kent had stood was empty except for a sudden and seemingly unexplained gust of wind.

“Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhe—”

Clark ran. He ran like he hadn’t run in years, following the sound of the cry. Wind whipped at him, tearing at his work suit as he flashed beneath the dull glow of lamp posts and past sleeping shadows that blurred together into the night like a strobe light.

“—eeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll—“

He knew his city, but even so it took him longer than he would have liked—precious seconds had passed that would not have been necessary, if he could have flown.

“—lllllllllllllp…!”
Sorry to quote all of this, but it's brilliantly written! You show so marvellously how time is stretched for someone who possesses super speed, how many things this person has time to do and how many thoughts he has time to think while an ordinary human is screaming for help. At the same time the woman's continuous scream is completely nerve-wracking, like being helplessly mired in sleep and being unable to completely wake up, even though your alarm clock is loudly, relentlessly beeping.

So Clark injured the man. I don't like it, but under the circumstances I can totally, completely forgive him.

And how wonderful this must feel:

“It was a miracle!” the woman cried. “Just…this wind…and then…the knife, and then the man just…It was a miracle!”
It was a miracle... but Clark, you were the miracle. You were the miracle.

He ran through drops of rain held suspended in the air, breaking them into shattered mists, and his face and clothes were soon soaked. His leg ached slightly from the strain, but he didn’t care.

He smiled.
Yes! Because he was able to help people again!

Clark didn’t hesitate this time. He was ready.

There was a light in his eyes... I vividly remember the last time you told us about the light shining in Superman's eyes. That was in Lois's photo of Superman, when he looked so happy beneath a somewhat grim exterior, because he had probably pulled off several good rescues that day. Now the light in his eyes is back. Hasini called him SuperClark. I don't mind that name for him - I love it, actually - but I think that, when that light is back in his eyes, then he is Superman, for all intents and purposes. Welcome back, Clark Superman SuperClark Kent!

It wasn’t the pair of stilettos she had worn in the White Room, but they were enough to remind her of it anyway.

So many things did. Simple things—little nothings. The soup kitchen on the corner not far from Lois’s apartment. A man wearing a jacket just a bit too red.
So poignant....

Dark eyes, because they were like his, but not. She would never be able to find anyone else with those innocent, hurt, burdened, selfless dark eyes.
And this - I completely love it. Really, I don't want to make this uncomfortably religious, but when you think of it - doesn't Lois think of Superman in a way that reminds you of the suffering, sacrificing, giving and loving Christ? (Eh - how long was it before Superman disappeared from Lois's apartment? Three days?)

When she walked outside and saw that the day was cloudy, she worried that he wasn’t getting enough sunlight.
I love this, too - how Lois associates Superman with sunlight.

She drank coffee and thought about him, with his overdose of sugar and cream. She tried to drown herself in chocolate and she thought about him. Coffee. Cream. Sugar. Chocolate. Raspberries. Red. White. Black.
And I completely love how you write this. Coffee, cream, sugar, chocolate and raspberries are things that taste good and most of us like and want. But consider the colors of these things, too. Coffee is black, cream and sugar are (usually) white, chocolate is dark-colored and raspberries are red. Like the colors that haunt her: the white room, Kal-El's white face, his bottomless suffering black eyes and his red blood.

He was everywhere.

Grass. Sky. Pain. Content. Boredom. Fear. The sun. Darkness. A child crying. Someone laughing. Clark Kent . . .
So beautiful. It reminds me of what my mother said about Jesus, too - that he is everywhere and in everything, though we can't actually see him. (I didn't necessarily believe her, but it was a beautiful thing to consider.)

Her thoughts pulled to a sudden stop.

Clark Kent?

Lois’s lips turned downward in a frown as her partner’s face popped into her mind. What was that about?

She hadn’t even had time to really think about Clark Kent. Of course he reminded her of Superman—she’d been over this before. He and Superman had been friends, so somehow her mind made that connection and the slightest hint of Clark Kent warned that Superman was close behind.

Lois shook herself. Clark Kent was another matter, entirely apart from Superman.
I'm getting slightly tired of Lois by now. She spent so much time scrutinizing Kal-El's face during their captivity, and she has, of course, spent a lot of time with Clark Kent. Why is she so totally unable to see that they are one and the same man? Given the circumstances, she should have suspected that they are the same man even if they had actually looked quite different - which they obviously don't.

When it came down to the luck of the draw, when everything seemed at a loss, she seemed to have pretty good odds. She would never bet against herself, certainly, with her record. She might have bad luck getting into trouble, but she always managed to get out of it, no matter how dire the circumstances.
I love this. Lois would never bet against herself, because then she would probably lose... what a wonderful way of describing her ability to survive the tight pinches she kept getting herself into.

The problem wasn’t fate, necessarily. It was people. Someone had targeted her, and targeted Superman. Someone who was still out there.

Someone who could put Lois Lane on fate’s bad side again.

There was a knock at the door.
Someone already pointed out - Symbolicangel? - that the way you manage to charge these three sentences with foreboding is amazing.

Lex stood there in the growing shadows of the evening, holding a large bouquet of deep red roses.

A little bit too dark red, Lois thought.
Yes. Red like blood, I'll bet.

Lois took them. Their scent wafted up towards her. They smelled like new rain and clean ocean—like the air above Metropolis, when she flew with Him.
She flew with Him! Is she associating Superman with Christ or what?

“You moved your couch.”

Lois grimaced, allowing the change of subject if Lex so wished it. She still hadn’t moved that uncomfortable thing from its place by the window, where it had been when Superman had been sitting in the sunlight, his eyes gentle as he watched her…

She actually intended to get rid of the couch completely and get something more comfortable, but she had been too busy, and she was strangely reluctant to give the awful piece of furniture up.

“I just…was reading and wanted to see the sun yesterday, that’s all.”
This is really ominous! He is really saying, 'You had Superman here and he was soaking up the sun, right?'.

“I’ve dealt with big stories before,” Lois said calmly. Lex still watched her, as if waiting for more, and she continued, “besides, I do have a partner.”

Lex sat back, wearing a slight frown of disapproval. “Ah, yes. Clark Kent.”

Lois didn’t like his tone of voice. “Yes, Clark Kent,” she affirmed.

“Considering your elite status among reporters, I am still astounded that Mr. White would put you with someone so inexperienced.”

“Clark isn’t that bad,” Lois said, almost defensively. “He may be experienced, but we all had to start somewhere. He has a good heart, and he’s one of the better writers I’ve come across.”
Small typo here... you want to say that Clark is inexperienced. But I love how Lois automatically defends Clark.

Lois took Lex’s offered arm again, and they walked forward into his expansive mansion. The large halls echoed emptily with their steps, but as they entered a dining room soft classical music filled the silence with sound. They were soon seated at a table set for two, with no sign of propriety neglected. Soft classical music drifted from the corners of the room as they began to eat.
Big, empty mansion. No one and nothing is there for her, except the cool, elegant, classical music.

Lex smiled at her. He had hardly touched his food, while Lois, contrarily, had downed the first and second courses in almost astonishing speed, even while she had made a special effort not to eat like a starving woman.
There is definitely something wrong with Lex.

“Oh, yes. LexLabs just signed the deed official—we will be incorporating Metro Physics into our facilities. Our science branch will increase by 30% initially, and soon, my dear, we will no doubt have resources like none other on the eastern coast for the betterment of science and medicine.”

Lois felt her heart choke briefly within her, but outwardly she casually lifted her fork and lifted a bite of dessert—the most heavenly, rich chocolate mousse cake she had tasted in her lifetime—to her mouth. She took her time as if savoring it, but in truth she barely tasted it.
Metro Physics? Now that rings a bell.

Lex smiled. “Indeed. As the tide of the sea changes with the passing of the moon, so is the rise of empires.”
What about the fall of empires, Lex?

Prometheus Project.

C.O. MP murdered.
MP - Metro Physics, right? C.O. - would that be C.E.O.? (I'm having trouble with your English and American abbreviations.)

What if…

What if Clark Kent was right after all?

After demanding herself to be foolproof, could Lex Luthor have been hiding just under her nose the whole time? Or was she just getting too paranoid?

No. Right now she couldn’t be too careful.

Or maybe, possibly, it was just a coincidence.

Maybe.

But that didn’t explain why her reporter’s sense was suddenly going haywire.

She didn’t know how she could find any more information that might point towards Lex’s involvement in any robberies or illegal research, as Clark claimed . . . and especially not that nonsense about aiding terrorists in Iraq. Besides, why would Lex worry sabotaging tsunami warning buoys in New Zealand? So even if Clark was right about some things, he certainly couldn’t be right about everything.

Could he?

No. Of course not. It was ridiculous.
Oh. Oh. Oh. This is so damn scary.

Had she walked right into the serpent’s lair unknowingly?
Yes, Lois. I really think you have.

A picture of a scene from Dante’s Inferno brought Lois up short. It was a gruesome scene, depicting certain levels of the descent into Hell—from men standing in boiling blood or lying on burning sand to those sinners lying disemboweled or infirm, yet eternally alive in their anguish.
Dante's Inferno - how appropriate.

Lois’s eyes drifted down the terrible scene, until her gaze stilled upon the furious apparition of the three-headed devil, the red flames of eternity reflecting off his bare and hairless heads as he stood, tall, terrible, and triumphant amidst his horrible kingdom.

Lex Luthor was created in Hell, and is commonly known among his peers as the oldest son of Satan, also known as Lucifer…
So Lex is the son of Satan, and Superman is the Son of God? No, not quite, I guess, but... yes, you make me think along those lines.

Interesting. And in the beginning of this post, I said that Superman mustn't elevate himself to godhood, yet here I think of him in some ways like a modern Christ.... Ah, but these things are not necessarily incompatible, and in order to be truly, truly good, you must be the Christ who doesn't elevate himself to godhood.

C.O. MP Murdered.

Illegal experimentation.

B. 39.

Experimentation…

Bureau 39…

Her guide had seen Lois stop, and was now droning on about the history of the painting before her. Lois didn’t hear him. The walls were closing tight around her, despite the high, shadowed ceiling, and her hands shook as she pulled her sweater closer around herself.

Bureau 39.

Lois swore mentally, panic creeping up her back. What if Clark was right about that too? What if she had walked right into another trap?

No.

Experimentation. Kal-El. Bureau 39. Lex. Superman. Luthor. Clark Kent…
Oh, damn. This writing can't be good for people who have trouble with their blood pressure.

He had been watching her. He had known who she was, and that she had hid Superman.

This was worse than fearing she might be caught by the Primaries earlier that day. She had been ready then. Now, her throat had closed in on itself and she felt like she was suffocating.

Lex knew. He had seen everything.

She needed to get out of here. Now.

Superman…

No! She couldn’t call him. She couldn’t call him. She couldn’t .

Her fingernails dug into the palms of her hands painfully.

No. No! She could do this. She had to do this.
Oh, no, no, no, this is almost illegally scary....

They went out onto the balcony, and Lois immediately felt better at the sight of the stars reaching down around them. It didn’t last long, though, because she knew how it felt to truly fly amongst the stars, and there was only one man on Earth that deserved that sort of power.

Had Lex always tried to put himself at Superman’s level? He had raised himself so high, and brought Superman so low…

Where was he?
Hmmm. You really show us Lois as if she was standing between heaven and hell, between Christ and the Devil.

“It’s…beautiful,” she said simply, stepping to the balcony edge and away from Lex. The tightness in her chest eased slightly, even though Lex followed behind her.

“Isn’t it, though? The most beautiful city in the world, and here we are, on top of it all.” Yet despite of his words, Lex sounded strangely melancholy, and he finished with a sigh as he ran his hand through his thick curly hair.

As he drew his hand away, however, thick, dark strands stuck to his fingers like webs. He stared at them for a moment, and his fingers rubbed the hair together as if he were checking to make sure it was real.
Thick, dark strands stuck to his fingers like webs... like spiderwebs... like tiny snakes! So horrible!

“Lois,” he said, his voice soft but dark. “I have a condition that is extremely rare, and hardly studied. Commonly speaking, the closest you may have heard of it would be…cancer.” Pure loathing seethed through his words. Disgust.
Did he get his condition from handling Kryptonite, perhaps?

“My condition was not good. Until two days ago I was bedridden, and we thought the worst.” He paused, looking over at her. His eyes lingered on her like a touch, and he smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “All is not lost, however. With research my doctors have discovered a type of radiation treatment, and with a slightly altered version of the usual attack against such illness, we have good hope for full recovery.”
For some reason, I completely shudder at this. I keep thinking of those "samples" that Lex's goons took from Superman in the white room. Are Lex's doctors going to transplant them into Lex's body? If you are going to take your story down that route, Rachel, please don't make Lex end up stronger than Clark. That doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Clark has most of himself, of his own body, but Lex has his own sick body and, at best, a little bit of Clark's.

She wasn’t sure—she certainly didn’t have all the facts—but impossibly, incredibly . . . Lois couldn’t help but realize that Clark was right. Clark had been right all along.

Her newbie, inexperienced, naïve partner had been right. She had been wrong.

How could she have been so blind to Lex Luthor’s true character?

How could she have missed the signs?

Lois felt as cold as ice, and vulnerable. She went back to the main room and grabbed her high heels as she went into her room. She turned on the light and looked around, shaking as she looked around.

Lex had asked so casually about Superman, but he had already seen it all. He had the tapes. He knew everything.
I love that Lois is realizing this.

Her warmly-painted room felt cold as white. The soft light of her bedside lamp was normally soothing, but now Lois only felt detached. Separated.

Alone.

Superman had almost died. He had left her.

Her parents…

Bureau 39…

Lex…

Clark…

Superman…

Fear. Hope. Pain. Comfort. Hate. Love. Agony. Terror. Laughter. Screams.

Alone…
How beautifully written, and I love how you use the word "alone" twice, to such great effect.

Let's remember, too, that in the beginning of this chapter Clark was feeling unspeakably alone. These two people need each other so badly.

Without warning, the floodgates opened, and tears that she had been fighting furiously for what seemed like a lifetime poured out in great sobs.

Lois collapsed on her bed, her body shaking as she found herself helpless against the unexplainable tears. She curled in on herself, feeling cold, furious, so afraid, so alone . . .

“Superman,” Lois choked between her tears, hugging herself as she shut her eyes against the world. “K-kal-El. Superman. I really, really need you right now. Please. Please. P-please. S-superman...”
Oh, I feel so, so sorry for her.

Lois bit her lip, wiping her eyes again and searching for that anger, but finding that it was strangely dissipated. She had found him--Lex--the Boss. After that first puzzle piece had fallen into place, the rest had slipped in, and Lois now had no doubt.

She took a deep breath, drawing up what little strength she could around her. In the dim, artificial light of her apartment, Lois stood as a pillar.
I totally love that image - Lois stands like a pillar. She is a slight woman, slim and moderately short. But she is so strong, and in her own way, so pure. She is so completely ready to fight the devils and demons, like a Joan of Arc, as I said before... I love it.

Clark…

Once Lex Luthor was in jail, maybe Clark would go back to how he was before this Bureau 39 fiasco. He hadn’t been that bad before. Just a bit naïve. Now, though, his awkwardness was more than a little annoying.

And he had seen through Lex Luthor, even when she hadn’t.
Oh, Lois. Please don't be so horribly contemptuous of Clark.

She turned off all the lights in the house, but left a lamp on by her bed as she crawled under the covers. She reached over and drew a bundled length of bright red cloth from under the covers on the other side of the bed and cuddled it close to her chest. She buried her still tear-flushed face in the soft fabric, as if searching for the scent of the man that had worn it, not too long ago.

Superman.

She had tried to get the stains out of the cape. She had tried to mend the holes. But the stains had stayed, and the color had faded where she had scrubbed at the awful dark spots, but in vain. The holes were just hopeless. Lois doubted even Superman would ever be able to fix it up again.

Besides, it wasn’t as if he was asking for it back, Lois thought as she spread it out and wrapped it around her shoulders.

In it, she felt protected. Safe.

Not quite so alone.
Oh, I love this. Lois wrapping herself in Superman's cape, feeling a little less alone. It reminds me of people who collect relics from the saints. In a way, Lois could have been wrapping herself in Jesus' cloak.

Despite the still-lingering cloud of tears, Lois couldn’t help but smiled slightly at the open, honest tone of Clark’s voice
I love how his kind voice makes her smile. (And there is a small typo - Lois couldn't help but smile.)

“Hi, Clark. This is Lois. I just…” She just what? Now she just felt foolish, and even more pitiful than before. She was glad her partner couldn’t see the mess she was right now. “I—I know you were worried about me going with Lex. Well, I’m back, and I’m fine. So no more need to worry, okay?” She paused, then sighed. “Sleep well, Smallville.” She ended with a soft tone that surprised herself as she hung up the phone.
I love her soft tone!

Oh, please, Rachel. Lois and Clark so desperately need each other right now. Please, please, please let them get together.

Wonderful chapter. Wonderful story, Rachel!

Ann

#38808 02/10/07 03:50 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Excellent chapter, Rachel! You've brought Clark back from the brink and allowed him to help again. Yeah, maybe he should have been a little more careful with that first mugger, but hey, it's not like he ripped his heart out of his chest, is it?

(Quick note to Ann about Superman II. What we saw on the screen wasn't the director's original vision. The initial cut is now available on DVD (I don't have it yet), and from what little I've seen and read it's way better than the one released in the theater. It treats both Lois and Clark better, especially. I didn't like the amnesia kiss at the end, either.)

(Oh, Ann, it's too bad you didn't have time to leave a whole lot of feedback.)

As others have so eloquently pointed out, the track of Lois's exhausted logic to discover that Luthor is indeed the serpent that Clark accused him of being is brilliant. You hit the high points perfectly. Your descriptions of Lois's actions and reactions were so outstanding. And Luthor's question about Lois moving her couch was a dead giveaway, but it was so subtle that it made Lois look like a genius when she figured it out.

Lex has cancer, huh? Maybe the 'treatment' involves Kryptonite? Maybe that was the whole reason for Superman's abduction, to experiment on him for medical research. If that's the case, then it makes a twisted, meglomaniacal kind of sense. Luthor would, indeed, consider himself to be more important than anyone, even a selfless hero like Superman, and wouldn't shirk at anything to give himself a cure. This Luthor, like others, thinks that money equals not just powere, but the right to do whatever he pleases whenever he pleases. And that's what makes him scary.

Speaking of scary, does Lois actually think she can take on Luthor by herself? Doesn't she remember that Superman would be dead if not for her? And shouldn't that teach her that no one is strong enough to face life's evils alone? Whether she wants to acknowledge it or not, she needs Clark as much as (if not more) than she needs Superman. I only hope Clark is strong enough to help her realize it before she gets into any more serious trouble.

Keep feeding and encouraging the muse, Smirky. Keep tantalizing us with this excellent story. I can't wait to see what you do with the next part.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#38809 02/10/07 06:17 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rachel, I take back what I said about Clark being Superman again. He isn't, not until he feels confident enough to don his suit and show his face to the world, rather than hiding in the shadows.

Ann

#38810 02/10/07 06:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I liked this part very much. You gave an interesting explanation for the experiments they were making with Clark. I figure that was because Lex searched a cure for his cancer. It's a cool idea. Of course I liked that Lois was seeing Lex for who he really is now, and that although he told her a heart-wrenching story. It would have served to get her pity and maybe support. A more innocent Lois would probably have remained at Lex' side, feeling that he needed her help.

Interesting enough that her cnversation with Lex finally cleared the air between Lois and Clark. Perhaps they can talk to each other now, which is about time if you ask me.

Great part, Smirky Raven! thumbsup

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#38811 02/10/07 08:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
thumbsup

There was a light in his eyes... I vividly remember the last time you told us about the light shining in Superman's eyes. That was in Lois's photo of Superman, when he looked so happy beneath a somewhat grim exterior, because he had probably pulled off several good rescues that day. Now the light in his eyes is back. Hasini called him SuperClark. I don't mind that name for him - I love it, actually - but I think that, when that light is back in his eyes, then he is Superman, for all intents and purposes. Welcome back, Clark Superman SuperClark Kent!
It will be a long road back, but he's on his way.

Rachel, I take back what I said about Clark being Superman again. He isn't, not until he feels confident enough to don his suit and show his face to the world, rather than hiding in the shadows.
You're right. He's working on it, but he's not quite there yet.

Whoa. I didn't even think about the possible symbolism so far...but you're right. I certainly did have a lot of pleasure comparing Lex to the devil. Hm...

But poor Clark. He certainly hasn't been acting perfect, and Lois knows he isn't as godlike as she used to think. Now, she just loves Kal-El, and if she thinks he's perfect it's because of that rather than who he is. So...she needs to find out, you say? So do I! But wait for it nonetheless. This story is driving me; I'm not driving it!

And I completely love how you write this. Coffee, cream, sugar, chocolate and raspberries are things that taste good and most of us like and want. But consider the colors of these things, too. Coffee is black, cream and sugar are (usually) white, chocolate is dark-colored and raspberries are red. Like the colors that haunt her: the white room, Kal-El's white face, his bottomless suffering black eyes and his red blood
I'm glad you noticed that! I love keeping arcs of similar images, thoughts, and feelings across the chapters. I'm glad you made that connection.

I'm getting slightly tired of Lois by now. She spent so much time scrutinizing Kal-El's face during their captivity, and she has, of course, spent a lot of time with Clark Kent. Why is she so totally unable to see that they are one and the same man? Given the circumstances, she should have suspected that they are the same man even if they had actually looked quite different - which they obviously don't.
She really hasn't had time to think. I mean, Clark just got back that morning, and since then her mind has been overwhelmed with what she figures to be more "important" things--things like Lex and the Primaries.

<frowns> I want her to find out, too. But I've got to set it up right...this is probably as hard for me as it is for Poor Clark. He just can't get a word in sideways, Lois is going so fast! frown

Yes. Red like blood, I'll bet.
Most certainly. But I put it in like a bit of irony, too. Dark red roses represent inner beauty (which I wouldn't know but for that random insert in my university's daily newspaper I saw yesterday). And then, of course, there's Lex...who is definitely not beautiful on the inside.

This is really ominous! He is really saying, 'You had Superman here and he was soaking up the sun, right?'.
You make me shudder when you say it so outright, Ann. But you got it right on. <shudders>

Small typo here... you want to say that Clark is inexperienced. But I love how Lois automatically defends Clark.
Ah. Blast those typos! <shakes fist>

Oh, damn. This writing can't be good for people who have trouble with their blood pressure.
I'm glad it works so well, though!

Did he get his condition from handling Kryptonite, perhaps?
I love hearing the speculations. I'm not telling anyone how close they are, though...

For some reason, I completely shudder at this. I keep thinking of those "samples" that Lex's goons took from Superman in the white room. Are Lex's doctors going to transplant them into Lex's body? If you are going to take your story down that route, Rachel, please don't make Lex end up stronger than Clark. That doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Clark has most of himself, of his own body, but Lex has his own sick body and, at best, a little bit of Clark's.
Oh, that most definitely wouldn't make sense. Luthor is not getting stronger than Clark. Nuh huh. That's way too out there for me.

Oh, Lois. Please don't be so horribly contemptuous of Clark.
Horribly contemptuous is a bit strong, I think. She's still a bit dismissive about him, but right now, at least, she's starting to see she might not be as all-knowing as she thought.

Thanks for your review, Ann! You always have the most amazing reviews!

Terry! Hello and thanks for your review as well!

Yeah, maybe he should have been a little more careful with that first mugger, but hey, it's not like he ripped his heart out of his chest, is it?
Humph. In my mind, Clark should just get over it. The mugger deserved what he got, and worse. But that's not how Clark thinks. He feels bad about it, which is why he's a better person than I am. <gives him a hug>

(Oh, Ann, it's too bad you didn't have time to leave a whole lot of feedback.)
lol

As others have so eloquently pointed out, the track of Lois's exhausted logic to discover that Luthor is indeed the serpent that Clark accused him of being is brilliant. You hit the high points perfectly. Your descriptions of Lois's actions and reactions were so outstanding. And Luthor's question about Lois moving her couch was a dead giveaway, but it was so subtle that it made Lois look like a genius when she figured it out.
Thanks you so much, Terry!

Lex has cancer, huh? Maybe the 'treatment' involves Kryptonite? Maybe that was the whole reason for Superman's abduction, to experiment on him for medical research. If that's the case, then it makes a twisted, meglomaniacal kind of sense. Luthor would, indeed, consider himself to be more important than anyone, even a selfless hero like Superman, and wouldn't shirk at anything to give himself a cure. This Luthor, like others, thinks that money equals not just powere, but the right to do whatever he pleases whenever he pleases. And that's what makes him scary.
Lex is seriously creepy, and I think that feeling is only going to get worse.

Thanks for your review, Bakasi!

I liked this part very much. You gave an interesting explanation for the experiments they were making with Clark. I figure that was because Lex searched a cure for his cancer. It's a cool idea. Of course I liked that Lois was seeing Lex for who he really is now, and that although he told her a heart-wrenching story. It would have served to get her pity and maybe support. A more innocent Lois would probably have remained at Lex' side, feeling that he needed her help.
Like I said before, I love people's guesses about this. But I'm not saying anything else!

Anyway, I've got to run. But thank you everyone for your reviews. They really make my day!

SmirkyRaven

#38812 02/10/07 03:06 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was starting to feel depressed on how low on the list this topic was getting, so I'm bumping it up with a useless comment. I just posted a couple pics of myself in the OT forum for what the fellow folcs look like. If you want to, go and check it out.

Be afraid!

thumbsup

SmirkyRaven

#38813 02/10/07 03:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Smirky! wave I made it!

I loved this part. I love that Lois finally used the space between her ears to figure out that there was more to Clark than meets the eye and that there was definitely more to Lex than meets the eye. <shiver>

I, too, am curious as to how you are playing the Lex/cancer angle... if Lex was for sure behind Bureau 39 and if he was having the Kryptonite experiments done in an attempt to see how they would react to his cancer.

Very interesting part...

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#38814 02/10/07 04:13 PM
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi!

Wonderful chapter! It's great to see Clark getting back some of his spark. Lois is finally getting some brains, its about time she figured out Lex is a devil, and Clark is much better than she has been giving him credit for. Keep up the great writing!!! P.S. I enjoyed your picture in the OT files. Its nice to put a face with a name.

G. Kuhn
#38815 02/10/07 04:31 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I am so glad Clark got back in the saddle, as it were. It's given him new strength and resolve already, you can tell. But will he be able to control himself and keep from hurting the bad guys?

I think you mean inexperienced. And yea that she is sticking up for Clark!

And Lois finally, *finally*, gets Clark's thoughts about Lex. You painted her panic in his house so well - adding in the Inferno painting was brilliant - and then the tears at apartment, too, like a dam breaking. And she is starting to soften towards Clark too, but I am still hoping that one day she gets the clue that puts the whole puzzle together.

This story gets better and better, Smirky. You have some serious talent.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard