I know I'm a bit late, maybe. This is a response to woody's twenty minutes challege. So the main character is Dr. Klein. Don't ask me where this did come from, and don't expect something earth shaking. I hope it's fun though. The mistakes are all mine. I didn't ask anyone to beta-read.

Seeing Microscopes

He shivered slightly. He was actually more angry than cold, although the temperature around him was anything but comfortable. But Dr. Klein had other problems than temperature. That his hands were firmly tied behind his back was annoying, granted. But he could live with that as well. What he couldn’t stand was the sight of the microscope right in front of him. It was barely six feet away, and he couldn’t get to it. What monster could do such a thing to a scientist? And right now! Was there any time imaginable that would have been more inconvenient?

Man from the future, hah! If he really was from the future he would have known about scientists. He would have waited another minute. It was different with men from the past; they were always suffering from a lack of time. Besides they wouldn’t have known how important this moment was for him, would they? But really, the man from the future could have stopped to think just for a minute. It wouldn’t have hurt. And Dr. Klein would have had time to have a closer look at the samples that were now surely dying under his microscope. If they died, that was. Maybe they didn’t, he mused hopefully. Dr. Klein struggled with his ties and tried to get free, but that was futile. He hadn’t managed to get rid of that darn rope for half an hour, so why would it happen now?

He let out a frustrated sigh and looked over to the microscope again. He was almost sure that this sample was worth a Nobel Prize. Who would have guessed that Kryptonians could be compatible with Earthlings? He was almost sure and it would have taken him only another minute to confirm this. But instead of making the most important step in his scientific career, he had been shoved off his chair by a twin pair of villains. One claimed to be from the future, the other was a nasty copy born in the present days. In front of Dr. Klein’s eyes he had changed his shape. Suddenly he looked like a nasty twin of Dr. Klein. They had both grinned and had mumbled something about the destruction of Utopia.

Dr. Klein shot the microscope a longing glance. He had already screamed for Superman, but that hadn’t helped. He could only hope that the hero would come to save him. Maybe, just maybe the sperm was still alive. And if it wasn’t? Dr. Klein remembered the embarrassed expression on the hero’s face. He couldn’t ask him for another sample, could he?

It's never too dark to be cool. cool