Author: Woody

Title: Time Travel with Trask

Disclaimer: I don't any characters or the concept of time travel.

Notes: This is in response to Marcus Rowland's twenty-minute challenge. Any plot holes, grammar problems, or other snafus are entirely my doing.

--------------------

Time Travel with Trask

Jason Trask stepped into the elevator. “Are you sure the polygraph machine is completely fixed?” he asked his technician.

“Yes, sir. It’s working fine.”

Ding. The elevator slowed. “Here’s our floor, boys.” Trask announced. As the door opened, his eyes met a bowler hat, and looking down, he saw a peculiarly dressed man. “See you there, Superman,” the man said. Trask suddenly felt himself moving through the air, and when the feeling stopped, he found himself tied to a rather odd contraption.

“Thanks, Superman, I’ll take it from here.” The man said.

“Hello, my name is H.G. Wells, and I’ll be your guide today. What you are sitting on is a time machine.” As Wells talked, he deposited some gold into the fuel chamber, and set the dial. “Our first and last stop will be Smallville, Kansas, 1866. You know of Smallville, I’m sure, so you should have a glorious time.”

“Well, we’re here.” Wells exclaimed. He then maneuvered Trask off the machine and rolled him away. Then, as he finished loading more gold into the chamber, he gave a shout before vanishing. Marshal Kent came around the corner and untied him. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I was kidnapped by a time traveler,” Trask replied.

After a lengthy interrogation during which Trask continued to insist he was kidnapped by the author H.G. Wells, who no one had ever heard of, they placed him in the mental institution.

The next day, a rather odd looking patient was admitted, yelling, “I’ll get you, Herb. H.G. Wells shall not defeat me.”

Trask started a conversation with him, asking, “Did H.G. Wells put you here too?”

“Yes.”

“He brought me here yesterday. I’m a federal agent from the 1990’s who was after Superman.”

“Wait; your name is Trask,” Tempus said.

“Yes.”

“Hah. You didn’t find out who Superman really was.” Tempus laughed. “Oh, well. I’ve got some writing to do.”

And so, Trask was left in 1866, with only one other person to talk to, but Tempus was actively avoiding him.

<Well,> Trask thought. <If Superman is preparing for an alien invasion, they can’t send everyone back in time.>

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.