Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
doublel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do it Clark, do it!!! Hurry post next chapter!!! dance

doublel

Just a note, towards the last series of crunch's crack etc. You missed the opening bracket for the italics.

doublel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Man, Woody, you and I must have been writing at the same time. If my daughter hadn't taken so long to spell a scream wink

Merriwether
Merriwether
Cute

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Columnist
Columnist
Gah, talk about evil endings!

But YESSS!!! Your previous few chapters were beautiful, and much needed time for Clark I'm sure, but it's great to have some action. And I don't have to tell you it's about time Lois finds out (and she does, right? He'd better fly. Or I'll find one of DJ's chainsaws).

Can't wait for more!

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Columnist
Columnist
OMG! I'm cursing you right now! You evil author, leaving us hanging like that!

laugh You should take that as a compliment, BTW. Only the truly *wickedly* talented can leave us hanging like that.

He is going to fly, right? He just can't worm his way out of this one.

Here's a little encouragment for you to get that nexp chapter here soon.
wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

Maybe DJ will break out the chainsaws!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
There was no place to go…but up.

It was time.

Clark stepped forward, taking hold of Lois’s arm and pulling her against him. Her body was warm against his, and he felt his own heart burn inside of him, chasing even his fear away. He gathered all the memories, dreams, and emotions of flying before pushing off from the ground.
AAAHHHH!! You better not leave us hanging (literally) here for long, Raven!

wildguy

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Blogger
Blogger
shock You have shocked me out of lurkdom once again Raven....I have waiting and waiting for a post and then you go and pull that kind of cliffhanger? (A very good cliffhanger by the way) and you want all of us to remain sane????? It's COLD here in Happy Valley and it just got COLDER! DON'T leave us hanging for long. I am constantly checking for updates...

Borgship.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes...finally! He tells her! Sort of...

Clark stepped forward, taking hold of Lois’s arm and pulling her against him. Her body was warm against his, and he felt his own heart burn inside of him, chasing even his fear away. He gathered all the memories, dreams, and emotions of flying before pushing off from the ground.
I was so excited that you posted! Another exciting chapter. I'm glad we're back to the meat of the story.

I cannot wait to see how Lois reacts. She will be pissed. But...oh well. If he thought that they tortured him in captivity, it is nothing compared to the wrath of Lois. Clark has some "splainin" to do.

Hurry back! dance

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One of these chainsaws Jessi?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Heh heh heh...

Sorry I've been gone so long Smirky. I have been so busy that I'm not sure if I'm coming or going.

But I'm still hanging with you. Just got caught up on the last 2 chapters and still loving it. And holy heck, what a cliffhanger. If you don't stop this, I'm going to have to share my cliffhanger button with you. laugh Framework gave it to me.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

Don't take too long or I'll send more chainsaws...

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
AHHH!! No you can't leave us there!!!! Ahhhh!!! Poor Clark and what a shock it's going to be for Lois though! Ahh, I can't wait.

~Jojo, who is thinking about borrowing DJ's chainsaw if another part doesn't come out soon. LOL

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! What a cliffhanger! My goodness. You startled me into de-lurking again. Wow.

This is really great. He'd better fly, or else...! And Lois, dear... hello, DUH! Clark Kent is Superman. smile

Eagerly awaiting the next part...
wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

-- Jude wink

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Wonderful part, Smirky!!

Come back soon!!!!!

Very soon!!

Sooner!!!

Did I say *Hurry up!* ? laugh

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Rachel, this story is brilliantly written through and through, and this chapter is certainly no exception. I, too, will be biting my nails until you post part 32 of this and let us see if Clark will indeed save Lois by flying her to safety.

However, I've got to admit that this part also got me thinking quite a lot about Superman in general and Clark Kent in particular. It got me thinking about the traditional, comic book and movie version of Clark Kent versus Dean Cain's portrait of LnC's Clark Kent.

And let's face it, Dean Cain's LnC Clark is a terrifically handsome and attractive guy. He's the one who makes Cat Grant ask, "Who's the new tight end?". He is the one who could have the beautiful DA, Mayson Drake, any time he'd want her, and he is the one who could so easily charm Toni Taylor into having an affair with him. Dean Cain's Clark Kent makes a good impression on other men, too. Perry very much respects him, and Bill Henderson holds him in high regard. Dean's Clark is popular among all his colleagues at the Daily Planet, whether they are male or female. Dean's Clark is, for the most part, self-assured, popular, funny and witty.

Your Clark Kent is very different. He is so much more like the traditional comic book and movie version of Clark Kent, who is nervous, scared and geeky. Few women would fall for that Clark.

The traditional Clark has been deliberately geeky, as if he purposefully turned himself into a hapless clown as soon as he donned his Clark Kent glasses. This was glaringly obvious in the Christopher Reeve movies. The latest movie, Superman Returns, gave us a much more low-key Clark Kent, who seemed to be truly lost and uncertain of his role in the world.

The Clark in this story is quite a lot like Brandon Routh's Clark Kent. It can be no coincidence that one scene from your story was taken seemingly straight out of Superman Returns:

She shook her head at herself as she flagged down a taxi.

The first two ignored her, and Clark stepped forward. “Uh…here…let me.”

He moved forward to wave down a taxi, then slowed his steps as he gave a loud whistle. Lois jumped slightly—the whistle was surprisingly loud and piercing clear, startling some pigeons from the ledges of some windows overhead and making more than a few pedestrians turn and look at him, but a taxi pulled to a stop immediately.
Yes, there are definitely echoes of Superman Returns in your story, such as in the previous chapter, where Martha seemed to sense that Clark might leave her and the Earth to try to find the planet that he came from. But there is a huge difference between Superman Returns and your story. Superman Returns might have tried to show us a Superman who had been to hell and back and who had been stripped down to the very core of his being, but your story succeeds at showing us Superman, and Clark, that way.

Ah, but... now we come to the question of Lois and Clark, and to this Superman Returns kind of Clark Kent who wants Lois to love him for being Clark Kent, not for being Superman. As I said, the traditional Clark Kent was a geek that Superman seemed to play for his own amusement. The fact that Superman apparently expected Lois to love this shallow and soulless clown was extremely cruel, and that is one of the most important reasons why I grew so angry at Superman during my many years as a "Lois and Superman" fan.

Your Clark Kent, however, is not a stupid act. Your Clark Kent is an almost broken man, a survivor of horrible torture, an alien who desperately wants to be a normal man, but who doesn't know how to be one. At least not most of the time. I totally disapproved of him when he put on those geeky glasses so that he would look sillier than usual in front of Lois, and so that Lois wouldn't see that he is Superman.

Your Clark is struggling. He is doing his best. His fear is so real and so powerful that you can almost taste it. He longs to be accepted as Clark Kent, plain old Clark Kent, because Clark Kent is the human aspect of this complicated man (or rather, Clark Kent is the aspect of him who pretends to be the human).

I can see that Clark has reasons to lie to Lois. For all of that, I hate his lies to her.

He needed her, and her rejection had hurt him, even if she hadn’t been cold to all off him—just Clark Kent.

In some ways, that had hurt even more.

She had seen him, stripped of his glory, his strength. She had seen him ripped down to his core—in his most desperate, primal state.

Yet somehow she continued to favor the hero over the man. Why?
I think Lois has a good reason to prefer the hero over the man. The hero was true and honest in his suffering; he was brave and noble even when he was broken. The hero wasn't making himself a smaller, lesser man than he really is. Clark Kent, however, is doing just that. When he put on his geeky glasses so that Lois wouldn't see that he is Superman, he was diminishing himself. That's the old, old, infuriating Clark Kent syndrome: he is making himself a lesser man than he really is, and then he asks Lois to love him for that lesser version of himself.

Personally, I'm almost always going to say that Lois is right to reject a man who is lying to her about who he really is. And I always want to see Clark come clean with her.

So, Rachel, sorry about all these musings... but you get my point, I suppose. Please, please, please let Clark tell Lois that he is Superman! Like the others here, I fervently hope that Clark will actually fly Lois to safety in the beginning of next chapter. And please, please, please don't let him pull some sort of stunt to confuse Lois about what was really happening!

Ann

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I too have be seeing many echos of Superman Returns in this version of Clark and his actions. I'm indebted to Ann for putting so eloquently what I too have felt and seen in this well written fic.

I'd thought that Lois' earlier dismissal of Clark and the news of his father's death had been too cold, but I needed to remind myself that in this scenario Lois and Clark aren't even really friends yet, and she is still consumed by the trauma of what she had to live through with Superman. It was nice to see here that she realized what she had done and apologised for it.

As Ann brought up, this Clark is not the likeable, confident, and personable guy that we were introduced to in the series. He is much more a 'classic' Clark Kent; ie: 'the disguise'.
It's no wonder that Lois falls for Superman and doesn't really give Clark much consideration at all.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the cat is let out of the bag. Will Clark be raised up in Lois' view, or will Superman be lowered. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Tank (who reminds the gentle readers that cliff hangers are good)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
WOW! What a list of reviews! I should write evil cliff-hangers more often! laugh

I'm glad to have caught all of your attention again. I do understand that there's been a lull in action and all the last couple chapters, but I'm glad you've understood. Yes, welcome back to the action. I haven't had much experience writing this stuff at all (there's always new stuff to learn, especially on your first fic!) so hopefully it will be good... laugh

OMG! I'm cursing you right now! You evil author, leaving us hanging like that!

You should take that as a compliment, BTW. Only the truly *wickedly* talented can leave us hanging like that.
laugh I take it as the highest form of compliment! thumbsup Thank you so much for the review!

Glad to hear from you again, Borgship! I'm glad I still have the power to shock people out of lurkdom thumbsup . I hear you on the cold front--I'm only a few miles away from you, after all. But at least today it warmed up quite a bit. This last week has been bone-chilling.

Judemustard wrote:
You startled me into de-lurking again. Wow.
Good! <makes note to shock people more often> Thanks for the review!

Ann, thank you so much for your review. I read it like five times and then dragged my little sister in so she could hear it too.

You hit everything on the head, as usual. I've been playing a lot with all of the Supermen, and I am very glad that it has made you think. I'm trying to put a new perspective on some things, and make us all think about Clark in a way, perhaps, that he hasn't been thought of before. I like to imagine that while some poor unfortunate reader of DD is watching any of the filmed portrayals of Superman they might pause and think "Oh my gosh, this makes me think of Poor Clark in Darkest Dreams" or something like that.

The whole cocky attitude of Superman in the SII drives me crazy too. I mean, how self-righteous and everything does he think he is, that he can take advantage of Lois and then erase her memories like that!? mad I don't think Clark would be Clark if he did that, let alone being able to be Superman as well. In my mind, what he did is as bad as rape, and he doesn't even seem to care mad mad .

Wow. You got me ranting. Sorry about that. I apologize.

Anyway, what usually drives me to write fanfictions is to try and fix things that drive me mad but still perhaps make the story work. That doesn't mean I solve everything, but we'll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens. I'm still writing by the seat of my pants, at this point.

TOC wrote:
Superman Returns might have tried to show us a Superman who had been to hell and back and who had been stripped down to the very core of his being, but your story succeeds at showing us Superman, and Clark, that way.
blush Thank you so much! That just makes feel so nice! I'm so glad I've been able to get that all to work!

Hey, Tank! It's great to hear from you again! Thank you so much for your review. To tell you the truth, what you wrote kind of got me thinking, though I'm not going to be specific and say about what. But I think I just got a little idea that might grow into a big idea, and I have you to thank for it. And if that isn't ambiguous enough, I don't know what is. But there we are.

Hm...

Tank wrote:
(who reminds the gentle readers that cliff hangers are good)
Lol. Thank you so much for standing up for me, Tank! Here--I'll come hide behind you and you can take care of all the crazy wild men with pointy sticks and chain-saws.

I'm still working on the next chapter, people, but expect it, again, some time this week...probably around Thursday, but I'd be Friday at latest. Sorry again about the longer wait, but school is still crazy, and these chapters are generally taking more time to write than before (and not only because of length).

Thank you for all the reviews, support, er..."encouragement", and all of that...

<sneaks off>

SmirkyRaven

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm still working on the next chapter, people, but expect it, again, some time this week...probably around Thursday, but I'd be Friday at latest.
Is it Thursday yet?

<DJ checks calendar - darn! Only Tuesday!>

[Linked Image] - There, no chainsaws, feel better?

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Um so it's Thursday... LOL

(Take your time seriously)

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um, yeah, it's Thursday! <hint, hint, HINT>

No, I'm with Jojo, take your time Smirky. Although if you need any inspiration, just let us know, I'm sure we can make you one of those nifty motivational posters <g> if that would help...

Seriously, though, these cliffhangers and all this angst, where do you get it all from? Do you sit down and find the most depressingly forlorn music that you an possibly find and then start writing away while you listen to it?

<g>

Anyway, I look forward to the next part.

Did you notice - no chainsaws - I'm being good. angel-devil

-- DJ

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I will not spontaneously combust. I will not spontaneously combust. I will not spontaneously combust.

That is all.

Notice how I'm not spontaneously combusting?

wallbash

wallbash wallbash

(dying groan) Smirkyeee....

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi, Smirky! Yet another person you've managed to startle out of lukdom. I've been following this story avidly for the past ten chapters or so and have developed a bit of an obsession with it. Is this really only your first fanfic? I can't imagine what we can look forward to when you become more experienced. help
But no pressure. Wouldn't want to scare that precious muse of yours away, now would we? Hope this doesn't end for at least another ten chapters yet. It's just the kind of story you can't bear to have end. Probably we will have to form a support group and guilt you into writing a sequel. devil
Anywho, keep it up!

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard