Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
I'm clueless,

She gasped in vain for air, her sides threatening to split apart.

Superman was a LINDSAY!
what is the joke here?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ummm...? Ok, I'm not sure I understand... Or I'm seeing too much into this. I'm seeing reasignment surgery here. Please tell me I've got an over active imagination!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Perhaps this'll help:

Name Challenge

The story was a response to this challenge. Does that clear things up? smile

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
makes sense... but isn't Lindsay a girl's name?

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
I don't know if you've ever watched Angel, but there's a male character on that show called Lindsey. I think it's like "Ashley" or "Kelly" in that it can be a guy's or a girl's name, but it's more often used for women. Which is where part of the humor comes from, I guess.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think it was originally a boy's name, but, like many others, it was "taken over" by girls.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I went to school with a Lindsey (boy). Went into army intelligence. There aren't many Lindsey/Lindsays out there, but there are some.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
btw... I know I didn't say and I really should have... This really was funny and well written. I did most definitely laugh out loud. (I also thought you'd had Superman in a sex change operation, but that's just because my head isn't screwed on completely right)

Kerth
Kerth
I loved this, too. The whole Smallville episode had me giggling like mad. And in the end, when Lois realizes that "Superman is a LINDSAY!" - well, I was laughing just like her.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay...?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally I was going to go with Leslie, despite the drawback of it being relatively normal. wink
But when I saw the gas station scene in my minds eye, the credit card said Lindsay, and so I thought "Yes! It must be Lindsay!" Lindsay is a very rare boy's name; boys who are stuck with it usually spell it LindsEy. Or at least, that's what the internet tells me.

Originally posted by LaraMoon:
btw... I know I didn't say and I really should have... This really was funny and well written. I did most definitely laugh out loud. (I also thought you'd had Superman in a sex change operation, but that's just because my head isn't screwed on completely right)
Thank you. smile

So that's what you meant by "reassignment surgery"? For some reason, I was thinking of a bizarre scenario involving "surgically removing" Clark Kent from the Daily Planet newsroom, and replacing him with a doppleganger. blush
Hey, I don't know how that would work, either! goofy

~•~
V
vsp Offline
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
V
I thought it was really funny. I laughed out loud anyways, hehe.

I think the humor element is really supposed to be the ending - the juxtoposition of the serious and somber mood of the original scene (from "And the answer is...") with the random ridiculousness of Superman having a name traditionally given to females.

By itself, Superman having a traditionally female name isn't as funny without the contrast. It's kind of like how comedy shows like "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" parody serious scenes from famous popular culture and it's funny because what happens in those shows is completely different from what you remember happened in the original.

I like how LINDSAY was in all caps at the end, that was a nice touch. smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So that's what you meant by "reassignment surgery"? For some reason, I was thinking of a bizarre scenario involving "surgically removing" Clark Kent from the Daily Planet newsroom, and replacing him with a doppleganger. blush
Hey, I don't know how that would work, either! goofy
Yeah, sorry... I meant sex change all along. Wouldn't that be hilarious, though? Or maybe not... LOL

Surgically removing Clark from the Daily Planet? ROFL! That could be amusing as well.

Yeah, ok, I have really crazy ideas. I know!

Top Banana
Top Banana
HILARIOUS!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard