Chapter 21

Hanging around Ben Hubbard’s farmhouse waiting for their pilot, Pete Ross, to arrive, Lois was filled with an adrenalin rush. Her reporting instincts were flooding her with an anticipation she hadn’t felt in literally years. Not only was she going to scoop all the other newspapers with her Luthor interview, she was going to undercover a covert operation of his at the same time. Where was this Ross guy anyway, she wondered. At that moment, a black sedan pulled into the yard.

“They’re here,” Hubbard announced.

Clark, with his enhanced vision, already knew who the “they” referred to, and immediately felt uncomfortable. “Ben, a little head’s up would have been nice,” he said to him. “When did *they* get together, anyway?”

Hubbard smiled at his old friend warmly. “After the world found out you were Superman, she came home here for awhile. When Pete moved back here from Washington, they bumped into each other at the Talon.”

“The Talon?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, the new coffeehouse that used to be our old theater in town?”

“Oh, ok. Go on.”

“Well, believe it or not, Clark, she was really lost after you two broke up. She hasn’t been the same …or wasn’t, until Pete moved back to Smallville last year. She became his campaign manager and they just fell in love.”

Lois, who had overheard part of the conversation, put two and two together. “You mean Lana and Pete Ross –“

“ – are newlyweds,” Hubbard said, finishing the sentence for her. “And expecting, too.”

Pete helped his wife out of the car. She appeared to be about 4 months pregnant – she was just starting to show. Her hair was more red than blonde, in contrast to photos Lois had seen of her when she was with Clark. She had to admit they were quite the handsome couple - he was blonde and fairly tall (several inches shorter than Clark, but still over 6 feet), and she was quite beautiful with long, flowing hair. <It’s showtime, Lois,> she thought to herself. <Now you get to walk all the talk!>

Clark immediately knew what Lois was planning and felt he had to intervene. “Lois, people can change. It’s been a long time. Hold off on your rant and play it by ear. Just this once – for me?”

Lois looked long and hard into Clark’s pleading brown eyes. “Smallville, you’re really pushing your luck. You know this is the moment I’ve been looking forward to – and-"

They were interrupted by the approach of the happily pregnant couple. “Clark! Wow. It’s been so long,” Pete exclaimed, extending his hand in friendship. “You are quite the superhero these days. I can’t believe I never knew, growing up with you, that you possessed such – talents,” he continued. “The world’s a better place because of you.”

Clark smiled sheepishly at Pete, then locked eyes with Lana inadvertently. “Thanks, Pete. That means a lot to me. Or should I say – Mayor Ross?”

“Hello, Clark,” Lana chimed in, breaking the awkward moment. “It’s been almost two years. You’ve made quite a name for yourself, in spite of-“

“In spite of - *you*!” Lois snarked, finishing the sentence. “I’m Lois Lane, Clark’s partner at the Daily Planet. I have to admit, Lana, that I’ve been dying to meet you. How could you have treated Clark the way you did? You self-centered bi-"

Clark put his hand on Lois' mouth and sent dagger looks her way, with “how could you?” implicit in his facial expression.

Lana was taken aback by Lois’ abrupt rant. “Lois Lane. Right. You were the one that looks just like the woman that tried to steal Clark from me when we were engaged. Except I believe she was a bit thinner than you. Is she your sister or something?”

Pete looked confused, Clark wore an expression of horror on his face, and Ben Hubbard stood there looking slightly amused.

“She’s my twin from another planet, actually, Lana. See, I’m not alien-phobic like you were, and I’m open to the belief that there are other worlds and galaxies out there that exist peacefully with earth.”

Clark lost his temper and finally got in the middle of the only two women he had ever loved in his life. “Look, you two. Let’s start over. Lana, this is my partner and girlfriend, Lois Lane. Lois, this is my longtime friend and former fiancee’, Lana Lang –well, I guess Lana *Ross*, now. Be nice to each other,” he ordered them, “before you get me so upset that my heat vision takes on a mind of its own. Remember those days, Lana?” Clark wore a geeky smile on his face to let them know he was trying to lighten the moment.

The two women looked at Clark and the expression on his face caused them both to burst out laughing. “Lois, when he was a teenager, he used to set things on fire all the time. You know why?” Lana asked her.

“No… why? Temper tantrums?” Lois guessed. “Sun spots?”

“No. Hormonal flare-ups,” Lana told her. “It’s a good thing he could put *out* fires as quickly as he *started* them. Adolescence wasn’t kind to Clark *or* Smallville itself!”

Lois looked at Clark. “Really? You mean when you got horny, you set things on fire? How the heck did you keep *that* a secret?”

“*I* used to cover for him,” Lana answered. “Lois, I can understand why you might hate me for trying to prevent Clark from becoming Superman, but in my own way, I was trying to help him have a normal life. And, I was scared that the government would take him away from me. Let me admit right now, to both of you, that I was wrong. I apologize, Clark. You have certainly proved that the world needs a Superman, and I’m proud of you.”

Recognizing that extending that olive branch didn’t come easily, Lois held out her hand to Lana. “I’m glad we finally met. Actually, I’m dying to hear some childhood stories about Clark. Maybe we can go to the Talon sometime and catch up?”

“Thanks, Lois. I’m looking forward to hearing about your twin in the other world, too,” Lana responded.

“Ah-hem,” Pete said, clearing his throat to get their attention. “If you two women are through with your catfight, I understand that one of you needs a plane ride?”

“Right, right,” Lois said, re-focusing on her big story. “Let me ask you, Pete Ross, how well do you know Lex Luthor?”

“Well, he donated considerable funding for my campaign for Mayor. He liked the idea of a home town boy making good and coming home. He has a business presence here in Smallville, and wanted someone in office that shared his political viewpoint.”

“*Mr.* Ross, I’m going to ask you a direct question: are you two friends?” Lois persisted. “I’m interviewing him at 6 o’clock, and I need to know whose side you’re on before I go there.”

“*Ms.* Lane, why does it matter to you if we’re friends or not? How does that affect your interview?” Pete asked, puzzled.

“I need to know if you can keep a confidence,” Lois explained. “Do your loyalties lie with your childhood friend Clark here, or the man that has helped your political career?”

Without hesitation, Pete replied, “I’d never do *anything* to harm Clark. Even though I *was* jealous of him and Lana all through high school,” he joked. Looking directly at his super-friend, he continued, “Clark, I was so proud of you when it came to light that you were Superman. Lex Luthor is a political ally; you were my best childhood friend. I hope that answers your question, Lois.”

“OK, Pete. I’m going to trust you. Please don’t make me regret it!” Lois responded. “Well, here it is: you know there is one substance that can harm Clark, right?”

Clark looked down at the ground, feeling extremely uncomfortable. He didn’t like being the subject of all of this discussion.

“It’s called Kryptonite, right? Named after Clark’s home world, Krypton. There hasn’t been any around since that guy Tempus used it on you, right Clark?” Lana piped up.

“Well, you guys know that I – my ship - landed in Smallville. And it makes perfect sense that some of the meteors from my home world would have followed the same trajectory,” Clark responded. “Apparently there’s a supply of it here in town, and LuthorCorp is using it as an ingredient in fertilizer.”

Pete was shocked, as was Lana. “The fertilizer factory right here in town? I’ve taken tours of that plant, and I’ve never seen or heard anything about it,” he said. “How do you know about it, when you guys live in Metropolis?”

“Lois and I are fixing up the farmhouse; it’s going to be our refuge from the paparazzi in Metropolis,” Clark explained. “A stray dog wandered upon the property the other night, and, long story short, it turns out that Luthor Corp has been feeding him dog food grown from Kryptonite fertilizer. Apparently it makes him super-strong. Somehow, the dog escaped and we managed to rescue him. He’s normal now, because he has to have the treatment every 48 hours. This type of thing can have military applications, as you can imagine.”

“How did you find all of this out?” Pete asked, aghast.

“The dog had an electronic chip embedded in his neck, and we did a little snooping at the Veterinary clinic,” Lois replied, smiling. “We *are* investigative reporters, after all. Very little goes past us.”

“Ok, yeah, right. So why do you need me to fly you around Smallville, then?” Pete asked.

“There’s a football – sized field of wheat laced with Kryptonite growing dead center in the middle of the plant. It’s like a huge courtyard, only there are no windows. That’s why it’s a big secret,” Lois said. “I need you to get me into the middle of that field so I can get a sample of the wheat for our friend Bernie Klein at Star Labs.”

“And just how are we going to be able to land in a wheat field without being noticed?” Pete asked.

“We’re not going to land, I’m going to parachute in, and then you’re going to drop me a line and haul me back up,” Lois said. “*With” the sample, of course!”

Pete looked at Clark, who nodded “yes”, and then back at Lois. “Have you ever parachuted before, Lois? And how do you even know that I have one?”

“Every pilot has to have a parachute for emergencies, Pete. And no, I haven’t really parachuted before, but it can’t be that hard. And from flying with Clark, I’m not afraid of heights or anything.”

“She’s absolutely fearless, Pete,” Clark chimed in. “Unfortunately, I can’t get anywhere near that field myself, or I’d be right there with her.”

“Where’s this dog, anyway?” Lana asked.

“He’s staying at a friend’s house until this whole matter is resolved,” Lois replied. "He’s a beautiful golden retriever and I miss him already.”

“Lois, what if Luthor Corp’s security spots you? This sounds risky and very dangerous,” Ben Hubbard said.

“Yes, my kind of assignment,” Lois beamed. “Let’s go. I have to be at the airport at 6 o’clock for the interview, so time is of the essence.”

The four others standing there rolled their eyes in unison.

“At least let me give you a quick lesson in parachuting, Lois. And Clark here can give us a hand with your training,” Ben said.

They fitted a parachute on Lois and Clark flew her up in the sky. When they arrived at the correct altitude, Clark dropped her and let her freefall. Following her down towards the ground, he gave her the signal to pull the cord. While she really didn’t pull it, Clark flew below her, puffing up the air around her to simulate the effect of the parachute slowing her descent. Ben had instructed her to keep her feet together and try to roll when she came close to the ground, to avoid spraining an ankle or breaking a leg.

After a few practice landings, Lois felt ready. “Ok, Ben and Pete, I’m ready. Let’s do this.”

“Lois, one thing. If Clark is so allergic to this stuff, then what are you going to put the sample in?” Lana asked.

“Good point. We need something lined with lead,” Lois replied. “Ben, you must have some old box or something in this barn of yours that has lead in it.”

“You guys go ahead,” Lana said. “Clark and I will look through the barn and find something. If he can’t see through it, it must mean it’s got lead in it - right, Clark?”

“Yeah, that’s the only thing that blocks my X-Ray vision. And Lois, please be careful." He walked over to her and planted a passionate kiss on her lips, hugging her tightly. “I love you.”

Lois took a deep breath. “I love you more,” she said, kissing him back. “Don’t worry, Smallville, I’ll be fine.”

Pete kissed his wife and softly rubbed her growing belly. “Be back soon, honey,” he said. “Clark, I’ve got your cell phone number; if anything goes wrong, I’ll call.”

“OK, Pete. Good luck, you guys. See ya soon,” Clark replied.

Together with Ben Hubbard, Lois and Pete walked towards the plane as Lana and Clark eyed each other. Interestingly, both of them were realizing that this gave them the opportunity to put closure to their relationship, which had been left hanging when he became Superman nearly two years ago.

They watched the plane take off and then Clark broke the silence. “Lana, I know that the way we left things hurt both of us deeply. I want to say that I will always cherish our memories growing up together, and I know that if it wasn’t for you, I would have been a very lonely, miserable person during high school. I’m sorry it didn’t work out the way we planned. I guess our lives were meant to go in different directions.”

Lana looked thoughtfully at Clark before responding. “Clark, after we broke it off, after I gave you that – ultimatum – I had a lot of time to think. I realized that I came across controlling and it was really my insecurity rearing its ugly head. I didn’t want to share you with the world. I was truly afraid the government would take you away and lock you up to study you. I should have considered your feelings, and I didn’t. I was being selfish. Now, I’d really like us to be friends again. And Pete and I want you to be the baby’s Godfather. Please say ‘yes’?”

Clark was surprised at Lana’s self-effacing attitude; it caught him off-guard and he found himself speechless! “Wow, Lana. It sounds like you’ve really changed. You and Pete must be great together. I’m so happy for you two – I still can't believe it - my best friends from high school got married! I’d be thrilled to be your baby’s Godfather. Are you sure you want me?”

“Of course we do, Clark,” Lana said, simply glowing with happiness that Clark had said ‘yes’. “Our son – yes, we just found out that it’s a boy – will have *Superman* for his Godfather. It doesn’t get better than that, now does it?”

Clark gave Lana a hug. “I’m really glad we can put all this bad stuff behind us finally, Lana. And I hope Lois and you can be on friendly terms. She’s had a hard life and she’s a really great person. I haven’t known her long, but I love her very much. It would mean a lot to me if you two would get along.”

“Consider it done, Clark. Now we need to find something lined with lead for Lois. Let’s look around the barn!”

~~~~~

As the plane neared the Luthor Corp plant, Lois grabbed the binoculars and checked out the field below. She couldn’t spot any workers down there – it was early afternoon and perhaps it was lunchtime. There was, however, an irrigation system currently watering the plants that she would need to avoid.

“Lois, get ready to jump,” Pete called out. “One more pass, I’m getting as close as I can. When you’re all set, wave your arms and I’ll buzz the field with a rope and pick you up!”

Lois suddenly felt a wave of anxiety overcome her, but in typical Lois Lane fashion, she took a deep breath and ignored it. She double checked the rip cord on the parachute, and positioned herself by the door. The plane turned and banked.

“OK, Lois, ready – set – jump!”

Lois swallowed hard and somersaulted out of the plane.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"