Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37235 01/12/07 11:04 PM
bakasi Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Great part! I enjoyed every bit of it. Maybe Clark will understand that he needs Lois as much as she needs him. I always found this breaking up for her own good thing quite annoying.

The message from Jor El was quite interesting. And I'm really glad that Clark has decided to go back to Metropolis. I want Loisand Clark to be together. Let them meet soon, Smirky Raven. Will you? Please?

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A nice "closure" chapter for his recovery, mentally and physically. Was this the first time the globe spoke to him though? I can't remember, if so, how did he know his name was Kal-El? It's early and my brain isn't functioning yet. Good chapter, now let Lois get a little closer to clark, and all will be well in the world.

doublel

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Oh, this is such a powerful chapter! I love how Clark overtaxed his still-healing body and how his mother "knocked him over the head" for it! Sometimes we have to do a small injury to the ones we love in order to show our greater love.

To continue that line of thought, Clark must tell Lois his secret. Hmmm, no, Kal-El has to be the one. The investigation will move more smoothly once she's gotten over the shock, too.

And it will be a tremendous shock to her. In this story, she's shared so much more with Superman than she did in the series. Her declaration of affection for Superman in the series was shallow and superficial, but any declaration of love this Lois might make towards Superman will be real. The trials they've already shared have bonded them in a way that can't be easily broken.

Unless, of course, Lois can't find it in her heart to trust him again after he tells her that she's been working next to Kal-El for some time, and that the co-worker she dismissed so cavalierly is really the love of her life.

Bureau 39 is in for a double dose of Lane and Kent, and I believe they'll take down the bad guys. But Clark and Lois are in for a roller-coaster ride, too. I see some dark dreams still in the future for both of them.

Hey, I'm glad Clark is pretty much past his stuttering. That's a positive sign for him. Maybe he emotional healing is progressing as well as his physical healing is.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Great chapter, Rachel!

His powers were a part of him. He hadn’t realized how much he had missed them. He had never realized that even though the powers didn’t make him who he was, he was incomplete without them.
But this is what he had always wanted—to be just Clark. To live as a normal man—not worrying about others, but only himself. To be able to let Lois know him as “just Clark,” and not to have to worry about anyone else.
These two quotes underscore what I keep saying about Clark - he so much wants his superhuman powers, and at the same time he so much wants to be just a regular, normal guy. He wants to be amazingly special and gifted, but he wants to be perfectly normal at the same time. He wants to have his cake and eat it. Aren't we all like that?

Superman was going to come back, and nothing—nothing—was more important than helping others. To keep them from the pain, the loss, and the terror that Clark had got to know so intimately.
But as much as Clark wants to be just a regular guy, his nobility, altruism and empathy mean that he needs to - he must - be Superman, so that he can use his powers to help others.

He looked towards his room, seeing upstairs and through the floor and the walls to where a couple suits that he kept here at home hung limply in the small cubby hidden at the back of his closet. Waiting.

Waiting, like the rest of the world.
I love this imagery.

“You may have been raised as a human being, Kal-El, but you are not one of them. So to this life we have sent you—to be among them, yet alone.
Jor-El speaks to Clark and gives his son many much-needed answers. Good. But I don't like how Jor-El tells his son that Clark can never really be a part of humanity. That is what Lara said to Clark in Superman II, and that is what made Clark first shed his powers for Lois and make love to her, and then, after reclaiming his powers, it made him obliterate Lois's memory of his double identity and their lovemaking. And because he violated Lois's mind like that - and because he seemed so smug and happy about having so utterly rejected her - I decided I would have nothing more to do with Superman after that. (I changed my mind when Clark seriously cleaned up his act in the comics in 1990 and later in LNC.)

To rule over them, yet never as a tyrant.
What? Jor-El has sent Clark to Earth to rule over humanity? Excuse me?

I feel bad about this Jor-El, and I sympathize with Martha's fears when she learns that Clark has been contacted by his biological father. The scene with Martha and Clark makes me think about Superman Returns. In that movie, Superman turned his back on everything and everybody on the Earth, including his aging widowed foster mother who had lovingly raised him since he was a baby, and his pregnant and amnesiac ex-girlfriend. You make me feel that your Clark is considering the option of leaving Martha and seeking his roots in space, but you also make me feel that your Clark is never going to desert Martha like that.

Your Clark is also thinking and obsessing about Lois all the time. I'm glad he does that, because I very much dislike his decision to just leave her. Yes, I know he did it because of his concern for her, because he felt that his friendship with her put her in danger. Even so I dislike his decision. I want him to come back to Lois, and I want him to stop lying to her! Please make him do that soon!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
I'm feeling a little under the wheather here, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm still reading this story.

Glad to see that Clark is finally going to get back to Metropolis where he belongs--with Lois.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Please...get Clark back to Metropolis! Lois needs him and he needs her!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi!

I thought Lois seeing a psychologist was good, she needed to vent and talk to someone.

I'm glad to see Clark is getting better and is ready to head back to Metropolis. The interaction between Martha and Clark is perfect.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to your posts! They make my day!!!!

G. Kuhn
Merriwether
Merriwether
Great part! I'm glad that you educated someone about SR. That could not be ignored. You did you duty and did it well!

It was easier to just float…not to worry about Bureau 39, or Lois, if he was tired. It was easier not to think.

They were all so far away from his childhood home.
Oh my gosh! I can't read the rest of the story now without being in fear. I'm going to have to slow down and make sure I read the rest of it at a normal enjoyable pace!

Well I have now read the rest and that was so well written.

I was a little confused. How does Clark know his Kryptonian name and how did Lois know to name the green crystal kryptonite when Clark didn't know he was from Krypton? Oh dear. I think I will have to go back and read some chapters (I don't view that as a bad thing! It's cold outside and I cannot think of a better thing to do on a chilly have to stay inside Sunday.

He wasn’t human. That was perhaps the worst thing that Bureau 39 had done to him. He could face pain, fear…but they had taken away his humanity.

He was an alien.
and

“Mankind has long feared that which is different,” Jor-El revealed, and his eyes were somewhat troubled as he spoke. “You may have been raised as a human being, Kal-El, but you are not one of them.
So sad. Echoed that he is separate from those around him. Hopefully he find more strength through Jor-El's words later.

Jor-El's words were so chilling and sad to hear/read after knowing what Clark experienced at the hand of Dr. Logram. They shed such different light, to me, than they did in the movies where Clark seemed more separate from the masses. Here he is more a part of hist world. I know what they mean and what not, they just seemed to pack a different punch here for me. Almost a bit scary, a too late welcome. I like how it is being added and neat to see what sort of effect it has on Clark's thoughts.

I understood Martha's reaction - grabbing on to Clark a little bit more, afraid that he would leave.

I'm excited to find out that he is leaving Smallville. I hope he comes face to face to Lois about everthing.

This chapter was so raw, so great. It feels so real like I can be there. It doesn't feel fake at all to me.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone for the reviews.

In the GGOH or perhaps a later episode, I thought (and I may be wrong--it has been a while since I have actually watched it) that Clark mentions to someone that he heard the globe speak "Krypton" to his mind--like, he suddenly knew that the world it showed was Krypton. Earlier on, when Clark tells Lois that his name was Kal-El in chapter 10, I put a quick sentence in that said:

It was a name he had only heard out loud once—it had been whispered to him when he first touched the globe from his spaceship, along with the name of his home planet.
I hope that fixes things up. If not, please forgive the error.

That seemed to be the main concern that I felt from everyone out there.

Terry Leatherwood said:
Oh, this is such a powerful chapter! I love how Clark overtaxed his still-healing body and how his mother "knocked him over the head" for it! Sometimes we have to do a small injury to the ones we love in order to show our greater love.
and

G. Khun wrote:
I'm glad to see Clark is getting better and is ready to head back to Metropolis. The interaction between Martha and Clark is perfect.
and

SuperRoo wrote:
I understood Martha's reaction [after the globe]- grabbing on to Clark a little bit more, afraid that he would leave.
I love Martha, and I'm glad you liked the whole mothering part. Clark needs it, and one of his problems that he's always seemed to have is just not knowing when to stop. He expects too much from himself, even (or maybe especially) now. You all can tell now what a sucker I am for relationships, so I'm glad that you liked a bit more between Martha and Poor Clark.

Bureau 39 is in for a double dose of Lane and Kent, and I believe they'll take down the bad guys. But Clark and Lois are in for a roller-coaster ride, too. I see some dark dreams still in the future for both of them.
Yeah. If everything goes according to plans, we're not very close to finishing yet, folks.

Jor-El's words were so chilling and sad to hear/read after knowing what Clark experienced at the hand of Dr. Logram. They shed such different light, to me, than they did in the movies where Clark seemed more separate from the masses. Here he is more a part of hist world. I know what they mean and what not, they just seemed to pack a different punch here for me. Almost a bit scary, a too late welcome. I like how it is being added and neat to see what sort of effect it has on Clark's thoughts.
That's one of my favorite parts about writing this fic. I'm trying to put some more meaning behind some of the actions that we are quite familiar with from the movies, etc, and trying to add a new angle or idea. I'm glad it's working!

Argh. RL calls. Thank you so much for all the reviews, everyone. Expect the next chapter sometime this week...maybe tomorrow (if I find time to sit down and finish it) or maybe later. Keep your fingers crossed!

SmirkyRaven

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
“You may have been raised as a human being, Kal-El, but you are not one of them. So to this life we have sent you—to be among them, yet alone. To rule over them, yet never as a tyrant. To be the light to show them the way—a guide to help them on their path through the universe. To be separated from them, yet alive.”
I hope Clark doesn't decide that he can't be with Lois eventually because of Jor-El's comments.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, so I totally begged for this and then didn't leave FDK. frown I'm sorry about that.

I loved this chapter. I'm glad Clark is coming to terms with a lot of things in his life and I'm glad to see he has accepted his powers and isn't afraid to use them. I love that he knows it is a part of him.

I'm also of course glad that he and Lois will be seeing each other soon. smile I can't wait for more!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Blogger
Blogger
I have been reading this from the beginning, and this is my first FDK post for this story. blush

I have mixed reactions to this story, especially because of everything that happens to both Clark and Lois. frown smile

I didn't like that Jonathan died. thumbsup

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the reviews MrsMosley, Jo-Jo, and especially Nighthawk! It's always extra exciting to get a review from someone you've never heard from before. I hope you keep up the reading and reviewing! thumbsup

The next chapter should be coming up tonight...within the next nine hours, and probably less than that.

Thanks everyone!

SmirkyRaven

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, people. The time scale just moved up quite a few hours. Expect the next chapter within the hour.

<runs off to finish editing>

SmirkyRaven

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard