Ron managed to get a pair of coffees from the courthouse snack bar while Lois called in to the office. He handed her a cup as she closed her phone.

“One coffee, straight up. Watch it, I think it’s hot enough for a lawsuit.”

She took a sip and flinched. “Bleah. It’s hot, all right, but it’s also burnt down to charcoal.” She lifted her cup and examined it.

“What are you doing?”

Still looking at her cup, she said, “Checking for places where the coffee has eaten through the sides of the cup.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “You don’t have to worry about that. The melted wax coating inside the cup will clog your stomach and kill you before the acid melts your lower digestive tract.”

“Oh, that’s another wonderful visual that I could’ve done without.”

He grinned. “Hey, at least one guy in your life has to cheer you up.”

Her face lost all expression. “What are you talking about?”

He lost his grin. “Uh, sorry, didn’t mean to say that.”

“Well, now you have. Explain yourself.”

He frowned. “I really don’t want to – “

Her voice sharpened. “Too late for that. Now give.”

“C’mon, Lois, I didn’t mean – “

She barked out, “I don’t care!” She glanced around at the people who were staring at them and lowered her voice. “Tell what you mean, Ron. Right now.”

He drew in a breath, held it for a moment, then sighed deeply. “Okay. I can’t help wondering where the loving and supportive Clark Kent is right now. His alleged close friend is on trial for his freedom and the woman he says he loves is alone with that weight. Now, I don’t know Kent all that well, but if I did, I might take a poke at him when he gets back.” He leaned in and lowered his own voice. “Assuming he ever does come back.”

Lois was shocked. She couldn’t tell if Ron was concerned about her as a friend and coworker, or if there was something else going on in his mind. Was Clark not as paranoid about Ron as she’d assured him he was? Did Ron feel something personal for her?

He apparently couldn’t wait for her response. He backed off a step and waved his hand between them. “Forget it. Forget I said anything. I should’ve let you clock me instead of telling you that.” He lifted his hands in supplication and softened his expression. “Lois, please forgive me. I’m sorry. Look, if you and Clark are satisfied, then who am I to butt in?”

“A friend.”

She’d said it so softly, she wasn’t sure he’d heard. Then an expression she recognized passed over his face. It was the same expression Clark had shown her when she’d told him, so many years ago, that she loved him as a friend or a brother, nothing more. She saw the little twinge of pain that launched itself from his heart to his head. She felt the impact of what she’d said as he recoiled a step.

She stared at him for a moment, remembering too many things to deal with at once. Then she handed her coffee cup to him without a word and stalked to the nearest ladies’ room.

“Lois? Hey, boss lady, you okay?”

She paused at the door. “Just wait for me here, okay? I have to barf.”

She didn’t wait to see his shocked expression, she just slammed through the first open stall door she saw. She knelt before the porcelain altar and surrendered her offering to it, such as it was.

After several attempts by her already empty stomach to eject its contents, she relaxed and applied her energies to catching up on her breathing. She staggered to the sink, rinsed out her mouth, and managed to drink some water from her cupped hand. It seemed to help a little.

When she walked out of the bathroom, she looked around and saw Ron trotting across the hallway towards her, holding a small bag in one hand. He skidded to a stop in front of her and held the bag out. “There’s a roll of antacid tablets and a fresh tuna wrap on wheat in here. You can have either or both. Your call.”

She smiled brightly, touched by his obvious concern. “Ron, I – thanks. That’s very thoughtful of you.”

“Hey, you sign my timesheet, I gotta keep you healthy.” He handed her the bag. “Or at least keep you upright.”

She stopped and tried unsuccessfully to hide her grin, then she pulled out the tuna wrap and took an experimental bite. She swallowed it and waited for a moment, then said, “I think that’ll stay down.”

“Hope so. My guess is the stress of the trial combined with Kent being out of town is getting to you.”

She turned away and took another small bite. “Yeah.” She swallowed. “Maybe so.” She took a step towards the courtroom, then stopped. “You got anything to drink? Besides that horrible not-coffee, I mean.”

He held up his index finger in a wait-a-second gesture. Then he walked to the nearest water fountain, dumped out the remaining coffee, rinsed the cup, and refilled it with water. Then he presented it to Lois with a flourish.

“The lady has but to speak her wish and it is done.”

She grinned. “Thanks again, Ron. Hey, isn’t it about time to go back in?”

He glanced at his wristwatch. “About eight minutes. I’ll go back in and save our seats if you want to finish your feast.”

She lifted the tuna wrap. “I’ll be there in five. What I don’t eat I’ll toss.”

He sketched an offhand salute. “Gotcha.”

As he walked away, she called out, “And thanks again, Ron.”

He looked over his shoulder for a moment and grinned, then he was gone. Lois nibbled and sipped until she’d consumed more than two-thirds of the tuna wrap and most of the water. She saw people starting to group around the courtroom entrance, so she gulped the rest of the water and dropped the remainder of the wrap in the nearest trash can.

She’d deal with Ron’s feelings for her later. How, she didn’t know, but she would. She’d have to.

She got to the bench where Ron was holding her seat just as the bailiff called for everyone to rise, so she remained standing until Judge Fields whacked his gavel again. After all was quiet again, the judge said, “Mr. Reisman, is your next witness ready?”

He stood. “Yes, Your Honor. The prosecution calls Ms. Yolanda Chavez.”

Lois turned to see her. Yolanda Chavez was a short, overweight woman in her mid-fifties. She stomped towards the witness box, pausing only long enough to turn and whisper something to Superman that only he could hear.

Lois couldn’t see his face, but she did see him flinch. She could also see that the judge didn’t like whatever it was that she’d said. He grabbed his gavel and whacked his bench twice. “Ms. Chavez! You will direct your remarks to the officers of this court. And you will speak English. Do you understand?”

She glared at him for a moment, then nodded sharply. “Si.”

The judge’s voice softened a bit. “Ms. Chavez, do you require a translator?”

She glared even more sharply. “No I do not require a translator! I am most fluent in English!”

“Good,” nodded the judge. “Please make sure your testimony is in English. I happen to know that our court reporter can’t transcribe in other languages. He doesn’t have enough little buttons on his baby typewriter there.”

Some of the spectators rewarded Fields with a murmured laugh. Chavez merely tossed her graying shoulder-length black hair behind her and stood beside the witness chair. The bailiff extended the Bible down to her and said, “Do you solemnly swear that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?”

“I swear it.”

“Please take the stand and state your full name.”

“Yolanda Maria Consuela Guillermo Chavez.” She leaned towards the court reporter. “Do you wish for me to spell that for you?”

Before the startled young man could reply, Fields banged his gavel again. “Ms. Chavez, that will be enough! I enjoin you to speak only in response to questions from either this bench or participating counsel, or I will be forced to hold you in contempt of court! Do you understand me?”

She sat back against the witness chair. “Si. I mean, yes, I understand.”

“Good. Mr. Reisman, you may begin. But keep a lid on your witness.”

“Thank you, Your Honor.” Jack stepped in front of the box. “Ms. Chavez, where were you the night Bill Church was killed?”

“I was in my office in my home in Miami. There was a teleconference with Mr. Church.”

“And what happened during that conference?”

“I was watching and listening, waiting for my time to speak, and suddenly there he is! This Superman breaks through the wall of Mr. Church’s office and then he kills Mr. Church! He looks at the monitors and he tells the rest of us to remain where we are because he is coming after us!”

“And what did you think Superman meant by that remark?”

Connie leaped to her feet. “Objection, Your Honor, counsel is asking the witness to form conclusions from a single sentence she heard over a communications link.”

Jack stepped back. “Your Honor, it’s important to know how Superman’s words were interpreted by others, especially in light of his actions preceding those words.”

Fields lifted his hand to forestall any more discussion. Then he frowned in thought for a moment. “Objection overruled. The witness’s thoughts and impressions in this context are valid testimony. You may answer the question, Ms. Chavez.”

“Yes, Judge.” She turned back to Jack, her eyes ablaze. “I think he means to murder me! He kills Mr. Church and now he is coming for the rest of us! He is coming for me! I think I am about to die!”

“What happened next?”

“A minute, perhaps two minutes, and Superman flies through my office and lifts me up in his arms. We fly so fast I can hardly breathe! I think he is about drop me to my death, but he takes me to the local FBI office and tells them to hold me because I am a lawbreaker! He says I am a criminal!” She leaped to her feet and pointed at Superman. “That is the man! That is the brujo who stole me from my home! He – “

Jack tried to calm her. “Easy, Ms. Chavez, easy. We believe you. Please sit back down.” He turned to the courtroom and said, “Let the record show that the witness has identified the defendant. We have no more questions.”

The court reporter lifted his hand and looked at his transcript tape. “Excuse me, Your Honor, but I don’t know what a – a ‘brew-hoe’ is.”

Yolanda leaned forward before the judge could respond. “It is Spanish for ‘male witch,’ what you might call a warlock, I think. It is spelled b-r-u-j-o. The ‘j’ is pronounced with an ‘h’ sound.” She smiled condescendingly at him. “Now, young man, you know some Spanish.”

Connie waited for the low rumble of laughter in the courtroom to end, then she stood and smiled at the shorter woman. “Ms. Chavez, you said you were in your office that night. What was your job with Cost Mart?”

She frowned. “I did not work for Cost Mart. I am – I was an attorney at law.”

“I see.” Connie stepped closer. “Were you directly employed by Mr. Church or one of Cost Mart’s subsidiaries?”

“No. I was on retainer to Mr. Church personally.”

“I see. So, he paid you himself?”

“That is what I said.”

“In cash?”

Yolanda hesitated. “On one or two occasions, yes, I was paid in cash.”

“Did you report that income to the proper State and Federal agencies?”

Jack stood. “Objection! The witness is not on trial here and the information is not relevant to this case.”

“I withdraw the question.” Connie nodded and crossed her arms. “What kind of work did you do for Mr. Church?”

“Legal consulting.”

“On what kinds of things?”

Yolanda shook her head. “I cannot tell you. Attorney-client privilege is still in effect.”

“But Mr. Church is dead.”

Yolanda’s voice hardened again. “His estate is not! The privilege attaches to the decedent’s heirs, which in this case includes his estate, which is still in probate. You are a lawyer, you know this already.”

Connie lifted her hands. “Okay. Can you tell us about the teleconference you were involved in that night?”

“No.”

Connie dropped her arms and lifted her eyebrows. “No? Why not?”

“The same reason applies. Privilege attaches to the subject of the conversations.”

Connie shook her head. “I think Judge Fields will back me up when I say that privilege does not attach if there are others involved in the conversation who are not part of the original relationship. Your Honor?”

Fields leaned towards Yolanda and said, “Defense counsel is correct, Ms. Chavez. The conversation you are being asked about is not covered under the statute because of the presence of others. You must answer the question.”

Yolanda bristled. “But they were not in the room!”

“The other people involved in the teleconference were just as much in the room as you were. Besides, my ruling refers mainly to the technicians present that night. Their physical presence in the room voids the privilege. Answer the question.”

Yolanda frowned fiercely and sat back with her arms crossed. Without looking at Connie or Judge Fields, she said, “I was preparing to present a status report on my recent activities.”

“What activities were those?”

She looked at the floor. “Activities relating to my relationship with Bill Church.”

“Your legal relationship, the attorney-client relationship, right?”

Yolanda looked up. “Yes.”

“Okay. What activities were those, Yolanda?”

She opened her mouth, then shut it and shook her head. The judge said, “Ms. Chavez, you must answer the question.”

Yolanda glared at him and responded, “Your Honor, I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that my answer may tend to incriminate me.”

Connie’s eyebrows tried to disappear into her hair. “You’re pleading the fifth?”

Yolanda crossed her arms and pressed her lips shut. A low buzz filled the spectator’s area until the judge whacked his gavel once more. “That’s enough, people. Ms. Hunter, the witness may take the fifth if she chooses, so please move on to another question.”

She nodded. “Ms. Chavez, are you receiving anything from the District Attorney in exchange for your testimony here today?”

Yolanda hesitated again, then muttered. “Yes.”

“What are you receiving?”

She tried to stare down the defense attorney and failed. She blew out a long breath. “A favorable sentencing recommendation.”

“Oh? Have you been convicted of a crime?”

“No.” Instead of continuing, Connie waited. After a moment, Yolanda relented. “I myself am currently on trial.”

“What are you charged with?”

“Conspiracy to murder.”

“Whoa. Heavy.” Connie turned and put her hands behind her, then meandered towards the jury box. “Is that all?”

“Is that not enough?”

Connie stopped. “That depends on what you did to get the law’s attention. Are you charged with anything else, Yolanda?”

“Yes.” Connie waited her out again. Chavez sighed and continued. “Fraud, illegal fund transfers, embezzlement, and several counts of racketeering under the Federal RICO statutes.”

“So in essence, you’re testifying against the man who brought you to the law’s attention and who is responsible for you being on trial?”

Yolanda snorted. “If you say so.”

“And the DA is going to go easy on you in exchange for your testimony?”

She finally met the other lawyer’s gaze. “Perhaps your definition of ‘going easy’ is not the same as mine.”

“Maybe not. Let’s talk about that night and what Superman actually did, okay?” Connie stepped closer to the witness box. “You said you felt threatened that night. When Superman flew into your office, picked you up, and flew away with you, what did he say to make you nervous?”

Yolanda shrugged. “He says nothing. He only picks me up and flies to the FBI office.”

Connie leaned forward in apparent surprise. “He didn’t verbally threaten you?”

“Well – no, he did not.”

“We saw in the videotape that he got some of Bill Church’s blood on him. Is that what frightened you?”

“No. When he gets me, he has no blood on him. He is wet, like he has washed.”

“But there was no blood on him?”

Yolanda shook her head. “No blood, no.”

“When he picked you up, did he squeeze you until you passed out?”

“No.”

“Did he act like he was going to squeeze you until you passed out?”

“No.”

“Okay. Did he take you way up in the air and drop you and then catch before you hit the ground?”

“No!”

“Did he take you way up in the air and pretend to drop you?”

“No, he did not.”

“Did he fly a high-speed loop-the-loop and laugh at you as you clung to him in terror?”

Jack stood. “Objection, Your Honor, counsel is badgering the witness.”

“Your Honor, I’m only trying to discover what Superman might have said or done to make the witness think he was planning to kill her.”

Fields shook his index finger at the defense attorney. “Then I suggest you ask that question directly, Counselor.”

“Of course, Your Honor.” She turned to the witness box again. “Yolanda, what – if anything – did Superman say or do to you that night to make you think he was going to injure or kill you?”

Yolanda bristled. “I have already tell you! He kills Mr. Church and then tells me he is coming for me! And I do not know what he has already done with the others he has taken! What would you believe?”

Connie shrugged. “I guess, if I had a guilty conscience, I might – “

Jack popped up again. “Objection! Assumes state of mind not in evidence.”

Connie shook her head. “Withdrawn. Yolanda, you’re telling me you were afraid of Superman, but not because he said anything to you personally, and not because of anything he did to you, or did in your presence?”

“It is because of what he has done to Mr. Church that I – “

“Aside from that, Yolanda. Besides that, you’re saying that Superman didn’t do or say anything to you to frighten you, right?”

Chavez shifted nervously in the chair. “Yes, that is what I say.”

“Thank you. Defense has no more questions for this witness.”

Reisman stood. “Redirect, Your Honor?”

Judge Fields nodded. “Ms. Chavez, you say that Superman carried you while he flew?”

“Yes, that is correct.”

“You testified that he didn’t say anything to you. The defense has interpreted that to mean that he didn’t threaten you directly. But did Superman say anything to you at all?”

“No, he says nothing to me.”

“He didn’t tell you where he was taking you?”

“No.”

“He didn’t reassure you that you’d be safe?”

“He did not.”

“Were you frightened?”

Yolanda leaned forward. Her face hardened. “Yes, I was frightened! I had much fear that he would drop me from a great height and I would die! Or that he takes me to a place far away and leaves me there to die alone!”

“Thank you, nothing further.”

Connie stood as Reisman sat. “Ms. Chavez, I’m confused. You said that Superman didn’t say or do anything to make you think you were in danger, yet you were petrified by him. What was it about him that scared you so badly?”

“His face!” She grabbed the front rail of the witness box with all her might. “I see his face and I think he is going to kill me! I still see his face in my dreams! I see his face whenever I close my eyes! He was so angry! His eyes blazed with hatred! I was sure I would die!”

“You were afraid?”

“Yes!”

“Of Superman?”

“Yes, yes!”

“Because he was angry?”

“He was so very angry! His face was fire!”

“Are you afraid of every person in Metropolis who might be angry?”

“What? No, I – “

“Do you walk down the street looking for angry people to be afraid of?”

“No, of course – “

“It wasn’t Superman that frightened you that night, was it?”

“Yes! He – “

“Weren’t you really afraid of what awaited you at the end of that flight?”

“What?”

“Weren’t you really afraid of being arrested and being tried for your many crimes?”

“No! No, it was the brujo who – “

Connie raised her voice. “It wasn’t Superman you were afraid of, was it?” She clenched her fist and stepped forward. “It wasn’t dying that scared you, was it?” She punched her fist into her free hand. “Wasn’t going to prison what really scared you? Wasn’t losing your license to practice law what really scared you? Wasn’t facing the justice you swore to uphold but instead you were defying what actually frightened you?”

Yolanda stood and pointed at Superman again. “That man – “

Connie stepped closer, close enough to touch the witness. “That man brought you to justice! That man transported you to the law so you could be tried for the many laws you broke! And you were scared of him?” She lowered her voice to a steel whisper and leaned even closer. “Don’t fear Superman unless you break the law, Yolanda. And if you do break the law – “ she paused to take a breath “ – the people will try you and convict you and send you to jail for a long, long time. Fear me, Yolanda!”

Connie gritted her teeth and leaned over the rail until Yolanda fell backwards into the chair. “You’d better fear me. Because I’m one of the people!”

Connie impaled Yolanda with her glare for a long moment, then turned and walked away without saying anything. Yolanda’s face was damp with sweat and her breath was rapid and shallow. Judge Fields looked at her closely and asked, “Ms. Chavez, are you ill? Do you need a doctor?”

“What?” Yolanda’s head snapped around to face the judge. “No, I – no, thank you, I will be well.”

“Are you sure?”

“No. I – I mean, yes, I am sure. That I do not need a doctor. Thank you.”

“As you wish. The witness is excused.”

She stood shakily and made her way towards the gallery, where two female officers waited to escort her out. She grabbed the near arm of one of them to support herself until after they’d left the courtroom.

Fields picked up his gavel. “I think it’s time to call it a day, ladies and gentlemen. This court is now in recess until nine o’clock tomorrow morning.”

He whacked the gavel on the pad and stood. The immense chief bailiff called out, “All rise!” The courtroom was silent until the door to the judge’s chambers closed, then everyone shuffled out quietly, leaving only the teams of lawyers, Superman, the bailiffs, and Lois, who waited beside the back door.

Jack and Melanie repacked their briefcases and left via the side door. Connie sat down at their table and watched dully while Blair collected their paperwork. Superman turned and saw Lois at the door. He took a quick breath, but just as quickly she shook her head sharply to tell him not to acknowledge her publicly.

Instead, he turned to his lead attorney. “Connie?” he asked. She didn’t say anything. He gently touched her shoulder. “Connie, are you all right?”

Instead of answering, she stood and stormed past him. He looked at Blair questioningly, but she shrugged her shoulders. “Don’t know what’s wrong. I got an idea, but I want to talk to her first. You be here tomorrow at nine, okay?”

He turned to watch Connie slam through the door at the back of the courtroom. “You sure she’ll be okay?”

“No. But even if she goes down, you still got me.”

He turned to see Blair’s bright smile against her ebony face, and he reflexively returned it. “Okay, you’ve convinced me. Go take care of her. I’ll see you in the morning.”

She walked out, carrying both briefcases, pausing only long enough for a quick greeting to Lois. Then she was gone.

With forced casualness, Superman walked to the back of the courtroom. “Hello, Ms. Lane.”

She almost grinned. “I think you know me well enough to call me Lois.”

He nodded. “Lois, then. How do you think the trial is going?”

She canted her head to one side. “Isn’t that what I should be asking you?”

“Maybe. But I’m not exactly a disinterested observer.”

Her voice was breathy. “Neither am I.”

“Right.” He put his hands behind his back and looked at the floor, then he said, “I wish I could put my arms around you right now.”

“I know.”

“I wish I could cry on your shoulder.”

She shuddered as if struggling not to leap into his arms. “Me too.”

He lifted his face to hers. “Lois – “

She stiffened. “No. You can’t. You mustn’t. There’s too much at stake.” She took a deep breath. “For both of us.”

He straightened himself. “You’re right. Doesn’t make it any less excruciating, though.”

“You’re strong. You can handle this.”

He rubbed his hands across his face. “This is harder than holding a cruise liner steady in a stormy sea.”

“Hey, if it was easy, anybody could do it.”

He chuckled ruefully. “I guess so. But you – sometimes I think you’re so much stronger than I ever could be.”

“I do what I have to do.”

“Some philosopher once said that what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. You getting stronger?”

She tried to smile at him. “I’ll live.”

He sighed and crossed his arms heroically. “Not sure I will.”

This time she did smile. “Yes, you will. And we’ll look back on this one day and laugh and cry about it all. And we’ll do it together. But – “ she hesitated “ – but you have to go now. Besides, I still have work to do.”

He nodded. “I know. Will I see you tomorrow morning?”

“Reisman called me in here today to testify. I assume he’ll also want me here in the morning, so yes, I’ll be here.”

He nodded again. “Well, I’d better be going, then.”

“Yes. Until tomorrow.”

He offered to open the door for her, but she smiled gently shook her head. He nodded yet again and started through the door.

He barely heard her tearful whisper, “It’s very hard for me, too.” He stopped in the doorway for a moment, but didn’t look back.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing