Here you are! There is pretty much Christmas spirit in this one, so I hope you're not fed up with it, yet.

Thanks to my wonderful beta-reader, LaraMoon.

From Part 10:

“I’ll stay,” she agreed. “But don’t expect me to be too cheered up about Christmas.”

Becca’s face had darkened. She didn’t look as if she liked the prospect of having to share her dad with Lois. But she reminded herself that Lois had helped her daddy. Becca wasn’t allowed to forget that.

“I bet you will be at the end of the day. You’ve never seen Becca’s smiling face on Christmas Eve. It’s contagious.” Clark said, sounding more convinced then he actually felt.

Part 11:

A little later Lois and Clark were walking through the streets of Metropolis. Clark had decided that they needed a Christmas tree and so they had to search for someone who was still selling them. Becca was a few steps ahead of them, trying to find places in the fresh snow where nobody had set their feet in. It wasn’t particularly easy in the big city. Clark watched her, smiling, while he talked to Lois. Their constant arguments were forgotten. They weren’t even discussing their job.

“So tell me, what’s so awful about your family, Lois. Can it really be that bad?” Clark inquired.

“Trust me, it can. My parents… they stopped loving each other. My dad was so caught up in his work that he didn’t even notice my mother anymore. She became so incredibly sad, disappointed about love and life. She started drinking. They divorced. Whenever they meet now, they always start fighting,” Lois explained.

“Oh, Lois. I’m so sorry,” Clark mumbled sympathetically.

“And what about you? Becca must have a mother. Where is your wife?”

“I was never married. Lily - Becca’s mom - died five years ago. So we’ve been pretty much on our own the past few years. It was difficult at times, but I think we’re doing okay, now.”

“Five years?” Lois whispered, shocked. “Oh, Clark. It must be awful to lose someone so early.”

Clark nodded. “She was special. We grew up together and I really thought that we’d end up in the same nursing home one day. People joked about us being inseparable.”

“How did it happen?” Lois wanted to know.

“He never tells,” Becca said suddenly. Somehow she had appeared next to them. Lois and Clark flinched, surprised. “Not even me.”

“She’s right. I don’t tell and it’s too sad a story to be mentioned on Christmas,” Clark stated, firmly.

Becca was right. He never told anyone, it was a family secret. All anyone knew was that Lily had wanted to see her parents and that both her parents and Lily were dead now. The rest was a mystery and Clark hadn’t told either Becca nor his parents or anyone else for that matter. It was too painful to even remember. He closed his eyes against the memory and for once managed to let it stay hidden. He smiled at his companions broadly.

“So, Lois, since this is your city: where do we get what we need for Christmas?”

Lois was clueless again as to how such things happened. There she was, going for a walk on the crowded streets of Metropolis. It was Christmas Eve and seemingly the whole of Metropolis was trying to get a last minute present. Usually, Lois would have stayed hidden in the newsroom or her apartment. She didn’t like Christmas. She didn’t like it because of all the people running around to get presents and because of all the people pretending to like each other when they didn’t. Christmas was nothing but commerce. On every street corner there stood another Santa Claus, in a red and white costume. The children staring at him didn’t even know that it was a famous soft drinks manufacturer who had invented that outfit. People called magic something that really was just advertising.

She had never found it especially magical, not even as a child, or at least not as a teenager. Children tended to romanticize those moments. They believed in Santa Claus and flying reindeers. As soon as Lois had realized that both ideas were ridiculous, she had seen Christmas for what it really was. Namely, another occasion for her parents to fight. It had always started with her mother preparing dinner. She spent hours and hours in the kitchen, cooking like it was the last meal they were ever going to get. Ellen Lane always bought the best. Lois hadn’t understood it at that time, but a vital part of dinner were truffles. They were immensely expensive and Lois had always been surprised by the small amount of mushrooms they got for their money.

She was old enough now to understand her mother. She didn’t favor her actions, though. Ellen Lane wanted to punish her husband. She cooked a great meal and expected him to appear, to help her pretend to be the family that they were not. But he was too busy… he had always been too busy. So the expensive meal served as a reason to give him a very hard time. Leaving his family alone should have sufficed in Lois’ eyes, but that wasn’t enough for her mother. She loved those histrionic scenes in which she ditched Sam’s dinner. It was all planned in advance. She waited in the living room, pouring herself several glasses of wine until she changed to Bourbon. Her father always got home late. Lois rarely saw him anymore. And then it started: the argument, the fight and the screaming. They lashed out at each other, sometimes violently on her mother’s part. And Lois and Lucy would lay in bed, cuddled together and trying to soothe each other when they both felt so incredibly lost.

No, Lois didn’t like Christmas, because all those memories surfaced. She felt alone and she was that scared child again, someone she didn’t want to be ever again. Helplessness wasn’t a feeling that Lois appreciated and that was inherently connected to the holidays. Lois didn’t want to feel lost anymore like she had felt in her futile attempts to comfort Lucy.

But, inexplicably, she enjoyed this walk with Clark. She liked seeing the expression on Becca’s face, conveying expectation and sheer happiness. How could this girl look so happy when she had just learned that she wouldn’t see her grandparents on Christmas? And how could Lois feel so comfortable with a man she hardly knew? Lois realized that she had just gotten the first present that she considered as something you should really get on Christmas. She had made a friend.

Clark had told her about Lily, but quickly changed the topic. She could understand it, because it had to be really painful for him. But Lois couldn’t help to admire him for his strength. She had been wondering where he had hidden Becca’s mother. She had never really imagined that she might be gone forever. Lois had expected her to appear in the newsroom, one day, holding Becca’s hand and waiting for Clark to call it a day. Now, Lois knew that this wasn’t going to happen. And, disturbingly, she wondered what it would feel like to be loved by Clark. She had seen him with his daughter. How would he treat a woman that he was truly and deeply in love with?

“Oh, Lois, come on, what is bothering you?” Clark interrupted her train of thought.

“Huh?” Lois was too startled for complete words.

“I’ve asked you three times if you like these tree decorations. Would you mind answering my question?” Clark said, teasingly.

He was in a good mood and grinning at her. Obviously Clark was enjoying the sheer prospect of Christmas immensely, too. He looked like a big kid and Lois had to admit that he was just sweet that way. She couldn’t quite understand how Becca and Clark could be so excited about this day of the year. Well, as to Becca, Lois had most definitely an idea why the girl liked Christmas, but Clark wasn’t a child anymore. Lois remembered that he had asked a question and tried to concentrate on answering it. She looked at the tree decorations that he held in his hand, and sighed with relief.

“Nice,” she stated. And they really were. Lois had seen many items that she could only describe as kitsch, pure unadulterated kitsch. She wasn’t going to think of any of them in particular, they were just too ugly. But Clark held out a package of red Christmas tree baubles that did not represent this completely exaggerated Christmas spirit. There was nothing else on them but the red color. In his other hand he had a set of small bells, also red, with little golden stars on them. Lois liked them at once. She nodded affirmatively.

Clark couldn’t help the feeling that somewhere in the process of pretending to be happy, his smile was adhered to his face. At first, he had forced himself to play the light-hearted Clark who enjoyed Christmas. Well, he did enjoy Christmas, but he was worried since his powers were gone. With time it had become easier and he hadn’t had to force himself anymore. Now, he couldn’t stop smiling. He must look like a fool, he really must. But at least neither Lois nor Becca had asked him if he was still playing with a full deck.

They had been in almost all the stores of downtown Metropolis and Clark was carrying an awful lot of bags. He didn’t have much at home to prepare Christmas dinner and he lacked decorations. At least they had found the right things and while Lois was distracting Becca, Clark had managed to buy a few things for her. He had also found something for Lois, which surprised him because he had expected this to be a lot more difficult. All they needed now was a tree.

It was freezing cold and the streets and sidewalks were densely covered with snow. Lois, Clark and Becca were trying to keep warm, but that became difficult. Even Clark was shivering, which was a new experience for him. He felt tired. That wasn’t exactly uncommon for him, but usually shopping wouldn’t have sufficed to leave him worn out. Clark wanted to sit down somewhere and watching Lois and Becca told him that the two of them would also like a bit of rest.

“How about a cup of coffee?” he asked as the three of them were standing in front of a little coffee shop.

It looked nice. The windows were decorated with images of bells made of sprayed-on artificial snow. There were a few people sitting inside, but the place was not so eye-catching that it attracted a lot of visitors. The place looked quite comfortable. Lois and Becca nodded, relieved that he had made the suggestion. Lois opened the door and entered the coffee shop.

It was a bit like coming into a living room or - more precisely - coming into the living room of good old Auntie Elsie. There were various styles of furniture, antique sofas of all kinds and miscellaneous tables. Nothing seemed to fit together, but at the same time it was the only possible combination. In the middle of the small place was old Aunt Elsie. The small, chubby elderly woman served her guests tea and cake. She looked like she belonged to the place and wore a big smile on her face. Clark wondered if this place existed only for Christmas. Walking through that door had led them into another world, away from the hectic streets. Cinnamon and apple pie smelled sweetly in the warm air.

The elderly woman looked up; studying her new guests and the smile on her face became even broader. Clark hadn’t thought that possible, but he was proven wrong. Her cheeks were flushed.

“Mistletoe!” she shouted jollily and pointed to a place above Lois and Clark.

They blushed, instantly.

“Come on, you two. It’s tradition!” the woman added as neither Clark nor Lois moved.

She waited. Lois glanced at Clark, her cheeks still bright red. To Clark’s utter amazement Lois didn’t seem adverse to the idea of kissing him. She even leaned forward a bit.

“You don’t want to disappoint her, do you?” Lois whispered as Clark still wasn’t preparing to kiss her.

He couldn’t believe it, what was happening to Lois Lane?

Yes… What was happening to Lois Lane? She wanted to kiss Clark. Why would she want to kiss him? Lois tried to find an explanation for her feelings. She had known him for only three weeks now. They had mostly argued with each other. It couldn’t be the prospect of touching his lips, though they looked delicate. Lois saw the encouraging smile on Auntie Elsie’s face. That was it; she didn’t want to disappoint the nice elderly woman. After all, it was tradition!

Lois could blame it on the mistletoe. That was what her conscious self thought. Unconsciously, tough, Lois was eager to find out how well Clark kissed. She wanted to know in order to forget about him. She wanted to forget about his chest and the warm olive tone of his skin. His smile and his charms would no longer be important if he proved to be a lousy kisser. They would be just friends and a kiss wouldn’t change that, no matter how bad it was. Lois looked up at him. She saw his flushed face and the insecurity in his eyes. Lois leaned in forward; she would surprise him and catch him off guard. He wouldn’t be able to gather whatever kissing skills he had. He wouldn’t be able to cast a spell over her.

But Clark didn’t even look like he was particularly interested in kissing her. He would do it because he was forced to. It would be a dry kiss, just two pair of lips meeting each other, briefly. That thought, unconscious as well, made Lois slightly sad, because she missed male lips. She wouldn’t admit it, but she was longing for a real kiss that conveyed care and longing and need. Lois was craving for a good kiss, but this wasn’t the afternoon she would get it.

Clark leaned in forward as well, somehow managing to keep all the bags he was carrying out of the way. Lois watched him, saw the look in his eyes, still insecure but giving in to his fate. His lips touched hers, shyly, and ready to pull away any moment. His kiss was teasing; his lips were cold but incredibly soft. She forgot about the cold; feeling warmth welling up in her. She couldn’t tell if it was him or the warmth of the room that spread through her. His lips parted, slightly but in a determined manner. And her lips parted as well. It wasn’t something Lois had consciously decided, it just happened. She could feel the caress of his warm tongue against her mouth. It was shy as well, not willing to cross a certain line, but it was undeniably there. Her tongue slipped through her lips, meeting his briefly.

Lois could taste him; she smelled his aftershave, though she noticed that he hadn’t shaved this morning. She made another brief contact with his tongue before it was over, suddenly. Clark had pulled back and had left her longing for more. They looked at each other unsure about their counterpart’s reaction. Awkwardness was written all over both their faces.

“Ahhh, I love Christmas,” Auntie Elsie said, grinning. She came over to her three new guests and pushed them over towards a free table. “Two cups of coffee for you, I assume?” She wasn’t really asking, but Lois and Clark nodded, weakly. “And for you, young lady, I have something special!” The woman vanished and left Lois, Clark and Becca startled.

Clark watched Becca. He didn’t know how she would take the kiss. She wasn’t too eager to become friends with Lois and he was aware that she dreaded losing him. It was ridiculous, though certainly not for Becca. Clark could never *replace* her. He loved his little girl. But Becca didn’t seem to be upset; she was rather enjoying the very Christmassy atmosphere. Clark also looked at Lois, still not able to believe that he had truly kissed her. And he was even more amazed by the way it had felt. Clark was well aware that this had been a kiss neither of them had planned on and neither of them had actually wanted. It had been a traditional kiss. And Clark started to wonder what it would be like to kiss her under different circumstances. He knew that he was right on his way losing his mind completely. He forced his attention away from the kiss and to a light, innocuous conversation.

Auntie Elsie returned, still wearing a bright smile that was either on her face permanently or belonged inseparably with her Christmas outfit. Clark somehow doubted that this strange woman existed outside Christmas. She was a bit like a female Santa Claus. She carried a tray with three cups.

“I know you’ll enjoy these drinks,” she said.

She placed the cups in front of them. Lois and Clark got coffee and Becca found herself with a steaming beverage. There was whipped cream on it that was slowly melting. At first, Clark thought that Becca had gotten hot chocolate, but the color was different.

“What’s that?” Becca asked, inhaling the scent that emanated from her cup.

“Magic potion!” Auntie Elsie whispered, mysteriously. “Try!”

Becca took a sip. The cream left white spots on her lips. Becca grinned, broadly. “Yummy!”

“I knew it,” Auntie Elsie replied. “Hot apple juice with cream never fails to work!”

She left them alone, turning to someone else to aim her Christmas magic at.

“Did you know this place?” Lois asked Clark.

He laughed and shook his head.

“Lois, this is your town, I’ve only been living here for three weeks,” he returned.

“We’ve got to come back here,” Becca stated.

”Uhh, I don’t know if this shop will still exist when we try to find it again,” Lois muttered.

“Why?” Becca wanted to know.

“Because it’s way too out of this world,” Lois said. She didn’t sound pessimistic, just fascinated by the atmosphere.

Clark couldn’t help the impression that Christmas was getting hold of Lois Lane. He grinned, forgetting about his powers and about the fear that losing them had caused. He just felt completely at ease. Clark leaned back in his chair and watched Lois and Becca. His little whirlwind was still thoroughly enjoying her magic potion, while Lois seemed lost in thought. Her glance met no one in particular and Clark wished that he knew what she was thinking.

Going into the coffee shop hat proven itself as the best idea Clark had ever had. Had he been able to read Lois’ mind, he would have known that she thought just the same… and more. Lois couldn’t really understand why kissing Clark had affected her so much. She didn’t know why she was enjoying this time of the year now that she was with him. Maybe it was just the place and when she left it the spell would be gone. Auntie Elsie seemed to know what Christmas was really supposed to mean. Lois thought of the mistletoe wryly and mused that this was an interesting way to play matchmaker.

But she wasn’t going to fall for Clark Kent, she couldn’t because she had already fallen in love with Superman. When he had stopped by the day before, Lois had known it. He was drop-dead gorgeous. He was strong, and completely reliable, unlike other men she had met. And who knew when Clark was going to show his real face? Lois had realized that Clark wasn’t like other guys. He was such a caring father, it was amazing. But that didn’t mean that he was never going to hurt her. Besides, she wasn’t in love with him. Perhaps slightly attracted, but not in love.

to be continued...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool