I thank all of you who chose to read my latest effort and commented on it. I'm glad most of you found it enjoyable. Still, I couldn't help but get the impression that many of you were expecting ... a different kind of ending?

So, in an effort to satisfy all those who secretly (or openly) were looking for something else in the way of a resolution to Lois and Clark's problem, I've come up with a couple of alternate ways this little vignette could have gone. So, without any more fanfare, I offer you my alternate takes on "A Cure for Lunkheadedness".

Again, thanks for all the kind comments.

Tank (who says, never mess with the master)

Alternate Ending Number One.

The trip to the rooftop was a short one. She only had to climb a few flights of stairs, but the effort had still made her dizzy enough that she had to stop at the top to rest a few moments. When she opened the door to the roof she was greeted by a strong breeze which caused her to shiver. Maybe she should have worn her jacket.

As she closed the door behind her she could feel his presence. So he had come. He was hovering up in the sky somewhere watching her building. Idly, she wondered how long he would have stayed; waiting to see what she was going to do.

Without a glance upward she walked quickly to the short parapet that surround the building's roof and climbed up onto it. The effort made her a bit dizzy, but it really didn't matter. Pausing only long enough to take a deep breath, she launched herself into the night sky.

Her body turned in mid-air so that she was facing up as the wind created by her falling tore at her hair and clothes. Her eyes grew wide as she noticed that spiraling lazily overhead was a large eagle... but no Superman. He hadn't come.

Her concussion must have really messed up her senses because she was so sure that she'd detected him hovering overhead, but she hadn't. He'd called her bluff... only she hadn't been bluffing.

"Oh shi..."

End of alternate ending number one.

Alternate Ending Number Two.

She walked back to the couch and placed her hands on it like she needed the support for what she was going to say. "Okay, here it is. Since I assume that your little speech from earlier this evening effectively rescinded your marriage proposal, I'm now asking. Marry me... or walk away... forever."

A tear slipped out of the corner of her eye. "I'm not strong enough to see you every day at work and pretend that we're 'just friends'. It has to be all or nothing. Either you want me or you don't. And if you don't, one of use has to leave."

She could see the agonized look on Clark's face. "Lois it doesn't have to be like that."

She was resolute. "Yes it does. I've said my piece. I've told you how I feel and what I want. Now the choice is yours. This will be decided tonight. What's it going to be,
Clark? Do you want a future with me that may hold some tough times? Times that I honestly believe will be outweighed by the rewards of a life together. Or, do we go our separate ways?"

She watched the display of emotions as they played across his face. She held her breath. She could hear the heavy sigh that escaped from his lips as his slowly walked over toward her. He looked like a man walking the last mile. Hot tears began spill out from her eyes. He reached out and cupped her cheek with his hand, then leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss.

"I'm sorry, Lois." He turned and quickly strode to the window. Without a backward glance stepped through and was gone.

Lois was left staring at the empty window as her tears formed rivers rolling down her cheeks.

Everyone was shocked when Clark Kent had come in and given his notice and resigned from the Daily Planet. He'd given Perry some half-hearted excuse that he was needed to help out back home.

They'd been more shocked when Superman had called a press conference to announce that he was going to be leaving Metropolis. He'd told them that as much as he loved the city and its people, he felt an obligation to the entire world and he didn't feel it was fair for him to spend so much time in one place. His intentions were to, in effect, patrol the world. The world-wide criminal element would never know when, or where, he might show up. Hopefully, in this manner he would be able to do the most good for the most people.

Lois hadn't bothered to listen to the speech. She'd stayed home.

Six weeks later the badly beaten body of Lois Lane was found stuffed in a dumpster in the alley next to the Daily Planet. A red 'S' had been carved into her forehead, and a note was pinned to her torn and tattered clothing. It merely said "Compliments of Intergang".

Superman's leaving hadn't helped the perception that Lois Lane was still a way to get vengeance on him, but it had made it a lot easier for them. He hadn't been around to save her.

End of alternate ending number two.