Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36668 12/31/06 09:18 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Lois is so dense! Clark needs to tell her...soon! She's really going to release her fury when she finds out.

This part was so sad. Poor Martha and Clark. How will they cope with Jonathan's death.

I really hate that you ended here. Please post again, soon!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#36669 01/01/07 02:27 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It was worth the wait. You're really good at portraying all sides of Lois, even though I thought she (and Perry too) were a little too cold with their condolences to Clark's loss. With Perry, I guess he hasn't become so attached to Clark yet, and has to play hardball boss. Even though Lois has to keep her defenses up, I would think she would give Clark a little more than a wave off. I forget though if this takes place before she goes to Smallville and meets his parents.

Not complaining how the story is going at all. This is excellent writing. Are you majoring in English or Writing. If not, you should. I have a 17 year old who's getting ready to start college this fall, loves to write and is considering this field.

Anyway, enough personal babbling. Hopefully Lois will figure out that the note was brought by clark. And maybe she will be nicer to Jimmy. Naaa.

doublel

Happy New Year

#36670 01/01/07 07:54 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm actually currently working towards a math teaching major and an English minor. Kind of contradictory, I know, but I guess I'm a walking contradiction in a lot of ways. However, I'm starting to think about switching...again (I've switched between math and English like three times already).

You really think I should go in to a writing/English major? blush Oooh. <Warm fuzzy feeling abounds>

As probably any fanfic writer out there, it's my dream to publish a piece of original fiction. I've actually been working on one for a couple years now, but have taken a short break from it to write Darkest Dreams.

Anyway, we all can dream, right?

Thanks for the reviews,

SmirkyRaven

#36671 01/01/07 09:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've been reading while on vacation but haven't been posting as much FDK because of time. But... I'm still sticking with the story.

However, now Lois has several handwriting samples. One from Clark on his notes... and now the letters he has given her as Kal-El. Wonder if she will figure it out from that? hmmm...

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#36672 01/01/07 10:58 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
“Did you see anyone come by my desk earlier? Tall, dark-haired, a bit on the pale side?”

Jimmy struggled to swallow the large hunk of doughnut. He gave her an odd look. “You mean Clark?”
Lois, get a clue! Please!

good chapter!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#36673 01/01/07 07:22 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Happy New Year!

Clark called Perry some time later, telling him of the news with a shaking voice, and telling him that he was going to Smallville for a few days, and was planning on staying around for a couple weeks to help his mom with the farm and to try and recover some control over his life. Perry wasn’t pleased—Lois had come in the day before and seemed hard set on finding out who this “Boss” was, and finding where Superman was on top of that, and it was a big story even for Mad-Dog Lane. Clark reluctantly and guiltily offered to hand in his resignation, understanding that Perry could hardly let one of his reporters go for so long, but the editor was resistant.

“Listen, Kent. I didn’t need you when I hired you. My budget was tight enough as it was, and I had a full staff. But you came bumbling in here and made me give you a job, and you know what? That’s fine. The stories you’ve helped bring in have boosted our sells enough to make it worth it. So you go on and take care of what you need, but be back here by the 27th ready to get me some front-page exclusives.”
I find it hard to believe that Perry would come off so cold--even toward someone that he wasn't really close to. Just my opinion though. I've always seen Perry as the ultimate softy. smile

Once she found the man, he had better pray that Superman was back to his full strength to protect him, because only he would be strong enough to stop Lois from getting her hands on him first.
laugh Loved this! Sometimes, Lois in Mad Dog Lane mode can be a good thing!

Perry frowned. “Now that’s what I don’t get,” he said, sitting back. “Superman disappears, then reappears to do a single rescue before disappearing again. Crime’s shot up faster than a speeding bullet, if you don’t mind me saying, and both the police and the fire force of the city are downright overwhelmed. Where is he?”
Yes, Lois, where is he? Clark's supposed to be the dense one (as in molecular structure). What's your excuse?

“Lois, Lois, Lois. You’ve been missing, and I…well…” He gave a sort of chuckle. “I’ve been worried about you. How about dinner. Tonight.”

“Lex, I’m on a story,” Lois said.

“Of course. No doubt you’re quite busy.” That same tone again. He sounded almost…amused. “Busy tracking down Bureau 39 and their affiliates. Well, then. This Friday?”

“Lex…”

“I understand you’re tired, Lois, but come now. Working yourself to death will hardly help you recover from your latest ordeal. Friday. I really insist.”

“Not this week, Lex.”

“Next Friday then.”
Can I just stomp on him? Kick him? I wish Lois would swat him away like a pesky fly. Just say no, Lois!

thumbsup Great part. Looking forward to the next!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#36674 01/01/07 09:08 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Yay, long chapter!

I can't believe it's been 27 chapters... I gobble them up so quickly it feels like it just started. Though this is getting much more frustrating than even the show... she needs to find out! Which I know you've heard a million times, but we're all gonna keep saying it until it happens!

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#36675 01/03/07 06:43 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, people. Look for the next chapter tomorrow morning, so within the next 12 or so hours from when this is posted.

Hope you guys like it! <crosses fingers and gets to work>

SmirkyRaven

#36676 01/04/07 03:03 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is a very good chapter, Rachel, and I think you are a really great writer. Considering you are only nineteen, you are a terrific writer.

White rooms. Screams. Desperate helplessness in the face of his pain, his agony. Tears, sweat, blood…

Her reaction came without thought. She spun around, smacking the hand away and driving her elbow into her attacker’s face. There was a yelp and he began to stagger back, but a quick swipe of his feet and he went down. Hard.

Lois froze as she looked down into the blinking expression of Jimmy Olsen.
This is agonizingly well done - you description of how Lois's mental scars from the horrors of her and Superman's confinement in the white room make her react on a primal, primitive gut level, with the most primitive parts of her brain, when she feels attacked and believes that someone from the white room may have found her again. She lashes out, and more than that - she attacks Jimmy rather savagely.

And this - sorry for quoting it all, but it is so well written:

“What do you think you’re doing, Lois?” Perry demanded. Lois winced as Perry put a hand on her shoulder as he knelt down beside her.

“S-sorry,” Lois stuttered. “I—I didn’t mean to. I mean…I didn’t think.”

“Ow,” Jimmy uttered, but managed to talk with a bit of difficulty around the blood. “I—I’m all right.” He looked up through watering eyes and saw Lois, kneeling pale as death at his side. “You should wear a warning sign, you know,” he managed to joke.

Lois blinked, shaking for real now. “I’m sorry. I…I…”

“Can you stand, son?” Perry asked.

“Yeah—it’s not too bad,” Jimmy said, and began to stand with a brave wince. Perry helped him into the chair in front of his desk, and Lois stood unsteadily.
Perry seemed satisfied that Jimmy wasn’t going to keel over dead, so he turned on Lois.

“What was that, Lois?” he demanded.

Lois held onto the desk to try and ground herself and took a deep breath. “I’m sorry,” she said, but much more firmly. “He startled me, that’s all.”
Notice how Lois is unable to explain why she reacted like she did. That is not how you would normally react when you are startled.

Then Lois gets herself some information about Logram. I found this totally heartbreaking:

He was from South Carolina. Graduated with a doctorate and did research for a while before heading to Metropolis with his wife and four kids. A perfect family. A perfect home. A perfect life.

And the four kids. The oldest was eleven, the youngest was five. Lois had talked to Henderson, who had met with the family, and none of the kids or the wife had seemed to have known a thing of Logram’s crimes. In fact, the five-year-old boy was an avid Superman fan, apparently, as Henderson mentioned in passing. Henderson had come somewhat late and the boy had trotted into the room wearing Superman pajamas with a towel wrapped around his shoulders and his underwear over the pajama pants.

Logram’s wife—his family—had had no idea.

Lois shivered.

You never could really know a person.
I can see that little boy, in his Superman pajamas with a towel hanging from his shoulders and his underwear over the pajama pants. A little boy of five, who loves Superman. A little boy who loves his father too, I'm sure. And his father, who has just been killed, had spent the final days of his life torturing Superman.

Like you said, Rachel. Ultimately it isn't possible to really know another person.

And I feel so sorry for Lois. She had been caught by ruthless people who wanted to use her as a bait to capture Superman. She had to spend agonizing days in the white room, watching Superman being tortured and broken. She managed to break out of their prison and save Superman, and she took him to her apartment and cared for him. And then he just left, without telling her where he went. Not only that, but he worked hard to keep up the pretense that he is two different people. He worked hard to fool her even now, or maybe especially now. I can see that he has been incredibly hurt and broken by what Bureau 39 did to him, and I can understand that it was horrible for him to hear Lois speak so ill of Clark, but for all of that - it pained me so to see him work his little butt off to lie to her.

And now Lois is on her own. Clark has deserted her, and Perry wants to send her to a shrink and give her story to Ralph. Lex Luthor, the master of evil, has persuaded her to have dinner with him, and the fact that Clark is extremely suspicious of Luthor may in fact lessen Lois's suspicions of him, because she is determined to think that the farmboy from Smallville is wrong about everything. Now Bureau 39 is probably after her, and Lex might well be in cahoots with Bureau 39. And the police and the military, who are supposedly working to stop this renegade branch of the military, might in fact well be in collusion with them, or at least some people working for them might be. Lois is in danger from Lex Luthor, from the police and from the military, and Perry wants to send her to a shrink and Clark is deceiving her and has deserted her.

But Lois is also painfully, painfully, painfully dense:

“Jimmy!” Lois jumped up. The copyboy stopped short at her desk, in the middle of taking a too-big bite out of a large doughnut. She managed not to wince at the large bruise from her elbow. “Did you see anyone come by my desk earlier? Tall, dark-haired, a bit on the pale side?”

Jimmy struggled to swallow the large hunk of doughnut. He gave her an odd look. “You mean Clark?”

“I saw Clark,” Lois said impatiently. “I’m talking about someone else. No glasses.”
Oh, Lois. You have just figured out that Superman may have come here dressed as someone else, and you have just described to Jimmy what the diguised Superman might look like. And Jimmy noticed such a person coming into the newsroom, namely Clark Kent. Oh, Lois. Why don't you understand that Clark is Superman? How can you be so blind? And Clark, why must you be such a liar?

This is brilliantly written, Rachel, but incredibly frustrating, too.

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard