Here you go with part 6. There is a break between this and what is still to follow. I don't know if I'll post part 7 in two days, since this posting schedule has somehow established itself.

I should change my apology. I don't need time till easter to post Seeking Heroes, but I should warn you...(Do I really need to?) Seeking Heroes won't finish the Becca story.

Thanks to LaraMoon and Classicalla who inspired a great conversation. wink

Please enjoy!

From Part 5:

“No, I’m not a wizard. I don’t know what I am,” he replied.

Becca shook her head. “You do,” she said. “You’re daddy!” She embraced him and kissed him, making him forget all the doubts he had had.

“I’m Clark,” he protested weakly and tears of relief streamed down his face.

~ ~ ~
Part 6:

It had taken him about a week to explain everything to Becca. She had been more surprised than scared. Who wouldn’t be if your father started floating right after you cut ropes tying him to his bed? Becca had promised not to tell anyone and had never disappointed him. He had shown her his abilities and she had been more fascinated than afraid. And with each new superhuman power he showed her, Becca had increasingly enjoyed watching him.

Clark should have learned that hiding something too desperately could backfire sooner than anyone bargained for. So maybe his mother was right; if he hid his face, someone would try to find out what he really looked like. And maybe they would do it when Clark was paying the least attention. But he was concerned nonetheless. How could he be disguised properly without a mask? He voiced his worries.

“We’ll sew you a flashy outfit so that no one will really look at your face,” Martha said confidently and sat down in front of the sewing machine.

Lois cursed. She didn’t know why this always happened. For some unknown reason she *had* to end up in a dark and dirty place. Why didn’t her sources meet her in a park, somewhere in the bright sunshine with singing birds in the trees? Instead, she walked on a ground that probably consisted of mud. Honestly, Lois hoped it was just mud. Somehow she suspected that it was something far uglier. Usually, she didn’t mind too much what she stepped in. But Lois only had this one pair of shoes. When Lois had been released from the hospital, she didn’t have anything but the clothes she had on her back on Friday. She had known that she would need something to change, but she had only bought the strict minimum since she needed the time to find out who was responsible for the fire. Lois noticed now that she should have spent more time shopping. She just didn’t have the right outfit for this trip.

It was a dark building close to the docks. Lois could only guess how the mud on the ground had gotten inside it. She shivered; no one bothered to heat an abandoned building at the docks. She wore a coat, but it was a cold night and the temperature was still falling. Maybe it was just her uneasiness? Lois didn’t know. She wished she had called Clark or Jimmy. But Clark was with his daughter and Jimmy wouldn’t really be able to help her. She sighed and continued on her path. There wasn’t any light. She had brought a flashlight, but it wasn’t working anymore and she didn’t have a change of batteries. This really wasn’t her day! The whole weekend had been terrible and the new week hadn’t started any better. She only hoped that whoever had information for her would show up sooner rather than later.

Lois shifted her weight from one leg to the other, trying to get warm. The moon shed a bit of light into the hall. It was enough to see shades of the various objects that lay around. She would see her contact - if he appeared, that was. Lois was starting to doubt that. A lot of time had already passed, though Lois didn’t know how much exactly. It was too dark for a look at her wristwatch. She considered leaving this inhospitable place, but she was curious and determined to find out who had burned down her apartment. She couldn’t exactly decide which desire was the strongest.

Suddenly, Lois saw some movement at the other side of the hall. She stared intensely into the darkness, but couldn’t recognize anything. Maybe it had just been an illusion. She listened carefully, but couldn’t hear anything, not even the tapping of rats’ feet. Lois came to the conclusion that it was nothing. Again she felt the urge to leave. This whole day was just so frustrating. She should be driving home and stopping at a shop somewhere on the way to buy some chocolate ice cream. That might be the only thing that could still save the night.

“Lois Lane?” a man asked.

Lois flinched, gasping in surprise.

“Yes,” she whispered as soon as the worst of the shock had somewhat decreased.

“I’m Henry Meadows. I need your help,” the man whispered, his voice trembling with fear. “Someone is threatening my life.”

Somehow, Lois recognized the name. She studied what she could see of the stranger’s face. As far as the moonlight allowed her to see, his eyes looked haunted. He was glancing around nervously as if he expected someone else to appear any moment. It was somehow contagious and Lois felt her own heart rate increase yet again. When he looked at her again, Lois realized that she was talking to her neighbor whom she had searched for the entire day.

“Who?” Lois inquired.

“Robur viridis,” he replied before suddenly all hell broke loose.

Something exploded and Lois was shoved to the floor. The world around her went dark as she lost consciousness.

“I think you look great!” Becca said confidently. She looked at Clark whose brows were furrowed.

“For a smurf,” Clark replied wryly.

“Your face isn’t blue and besides they don’t wear red,” Becca disagreed.

“Papa Smurf does,” Clark retorted and watched his mirror image in doubt.

“I think that worse things could happen to you than looking like Papa Smurf,” Martha chuckled. “Anyway, I bet that no one’s going to give your face a second glance. Everyone will be far to distracted by the sight of a six feet-tall smurf.” She burst into laughter.

“Is this cape really necessary?” Clark still stared at his appearance, in blue and red.

“It’s cool, daddy!” Becca stated. “I bet it will look great when you fly!”

“I can’t help the impression that this suit lacks something,” Jonathan muttered.

“Yeah, the jelly bag cap,” Clark said.

“No, something else!” Martha replied; her eyes were gleaming. “I know how we can turn you into a hero and get rid of Papa Smurf.” She giggled at the new mention of the comic character and left the room to fetch a certain thing.

Jonathan, Clark and Becca waited curiously for her to return. When she did, she held a red and yellow pentagon in her hands. On it was something that looked like a S.

“This came to Earth with you. It was on your blanket,” she explained

When Martha held it in front of Clark’s chest, they all knew that this completed the outfit. Suddenly Clark no longer doubted that this looked right. A smile appeared on his face and Becca nodded, excited. Even Jonathan grunted something that could count as acknowledgement. It didn’t take Martha long to affix it to the suit.

While Clark was looking at the improved disguise, Jonathan had turned on the TV.

“A huge explosion has destroyed significant portions of the docks in Metropolis. Firefighters are still having trouble controlling the fire. Reportedly, there are several tons of fuel stored on or near the docks. So far this information hasn’t been confirmed. This is possibly the worst incident in the recent series of fires. If there is fuel near by, the explosion could threaten hundreds of lives,” the reporter said.

Clark didn’t hear anything more; he headed outside and took off into the dark sky. Minutes later, he had reached the docks in Metropolis. The fire was worse than the two others before. Clark could see why the firefighters had problems. He didn’t know how he would be able to extinguish it, but if he wasn’t who would? He scanned the area, looking out for fuel. He didn’t quite find what he had expected, but what he saw almost made his heart stop. There were two people lying on the ground, in one of the buildings. He nosedived towards the building and picked up the two people.

Only as he flew up again did he notice that one of them hadn’t survived. The other was still breathing. He knew both of them because he had saved them earlier. Clark didn’t really understand why Lois and her neighbor had been in this place. It rendered him sad that her neighbor was dead now. It seemed so useless. But he was also relieved that Lois wasn’t badly hurt. He had scanned her body and hadn’t found any internal bleeding. Clark brought them both to the emergency services and returned to the fire. With much effort Clark managed to control the fire and extinguish it hours later.

to be continued...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool