Breakfast between Lois and Kal was strained. The adults barely said a word to one another while they ate. Jordan seemed to sense the tension and stopped talking after a while. To keep from causing them further pain, Kal rose, wished them a good day, and left the suite.

He'd spent the rest of the day in misery. He'd said something incredibly cruel and disgusting and knew it had caused her despair.

But boy wasn't she a fireball! His hand smoothed the skin she'd branded that morning. Served him right. She should have slapped him.

Kal was given a jolt of humility very quickly. Though his thoughts were filled with countless images, his heart ached to make things right with Lois. He realized that everything else would be fine, as long as he had her.

He drudged through Council, finalizing charges against Ti-El, then went in search of the woman in his thoughts. His journey took him more than an hour and a transport to complete because Lois and Jordan had joined the First Lady and Patia for a trip to the sea. He was very surprised to find Ching running with the children down the beach when he arrived. Lois and Zara sat huddled under blankets on a large rock watching the activity of the others.

Madness, Kal thought as he approached. It was still the cold season and a light snow had begun to fall. Why in Zor's name would they want to come to the sea today?

He uttered a curse as he was questioned by Chan, his own guard! Chan stood on the cliff above the small group and told Kal that if he heard one word that he felt shouldn't have been said, he'd personally haul the First Lord back up the hill.

Did everyone know what went on in his Palace but him?

The lapels of his top coat were pulled up around his neck as he made his way across the sand. Jordan saw him first and turned to offer him a friendly smile.

"Kal!" The boy's hand waved happily, then he set out at a full run.

Suddenly the shivering man was quite warm. The small body of his son left the ground and he bent to scoop him up.

"Hey, you." Kal tickled the boy's stomach and was rewarded with a full laugh. "Oh, wow! Listen to you!"

His eyes flashed to the women briefly, then settled back on his son. "How are you?"

"Good. I love the watah!"

"I know. And as soon as it's warm enough, we'll play in that watah!" Kal finished in mocked tones.

"You're funny," he said through another laugh.

"And you're the best thing I've seen all day." His hand squeezed the boy's side, making the boy wrinkle up his nose.

"C'mon. Let's go play," Jordan told him as he struggled back to the ground.

Kal watched with a sappy smile on his face as the boy ran off back down the beach. It faltered slightly when he saw that Ching had come to stand close by. He tore his gaze from the playing children to look at his brother.

"He's great, Kal," Ching said lamely.

"So is she," Kal told him calmly.

The younger brother glanced at the children. "I, ah, I'm not sure what to say here. If I'd known..."

"If any of us had known before now, it would have ended the wrong way," Kal told him, his voice gaining strength. His eyes locked with Ching's. "I won't go away."

"I would never want you to."

Both turned to watch the children for a moment before Kal spoke again. "Stay in the Palace tonight. I want you in Council chambers before the assembly tomorrow. I think there's someone else who should hear about all this privately as well."

"If you mean Lana, I've seen her."

Kal's surprised eyes shot back to Ching's. "You get around, don't you?"

"I've learned when you're invisible you can do a lot." He smiled, then looked up at the women. "She's going to set this world on fire."

The First Lord turned to his head to regard the woman Ching spoke of. He was thrilled when she didn't turn away. They exchanged an entire conversation with just a glance before she smiled at him. His heart swelled to overflowing. "Yes, Ching," Kal said without looking away from her. "She certainly is."

"Are you coming?" a small voice yelled, ripping both men from their thoughts.

Kal and Ching glanced at one another, then smiled and ran after the children.

++

"I wish I'd gotten to know him better," Zara commented as she and Lois watched Kal and Ching running down the beach.

"He said the same thing about you."

"Keep him close, Lois. He'll need your strength. Not just with things about to happen, but later, as he matures. Years of pain and abuse will surface." She turned to Lois, a very serious expression on her face. "That's what his life has been. Forcing him to study, training him for dominance and destruction, stripping his parents from him... It was all forms of abuse. He and Ching, they've both suffered."

"And you?"

The First Lady looked away. She and Lois had become fast friends over the last few days. It seemed Lois was good at reading her moods as well.

"Our life is a difficult one," Zara told her sadly.

"With Kal's influence, some day life on this world will also be a wonderful one," Lois said softly.

"Yes. Our children will grow up much happier than we did." They sat in silence, watching the children and the men play. Finally Zara whispered, "Take good care of her, Milady."

"What?"

"Tell her that her mother and father loved her... and each other very much."

"Zara, you listen to me," Lois demanded. "Kal-El won't let them execute you. Either of you."

"Kal can't stop it." Before Lois could argue further, she rose and walked across the beach toward the others. Soon her blanket fell to a heap on the sand and she was running and laughing with everyone else. Tomorrow would have to wait.

++

The Palace boasted many luxuries. Among them, an oversized tub in the bathing chamber of full suites. The servant mopping up the floor in Lois' suite cursed under her breath. There had been suds and water everywhere when she'd been called in to clean up. Just what had those people done in here? She was still muttering when she passed through the other room on her way out.

In the main parlor, the First Lord was stretched back on the lounge cradling the small body of his son as the child slept peacefully. He protested mildly when Lois lifted the boy to take him to bed.

The evening had gone a lot better than he could have ever imagined. Though he and Lois hadn't talked out their argument yet, they had put their differences aside and spent quality time with their son.

The First Lord had also discovered that 'hanging out'-- as Lois put it-- with Ching and Zara had been wonderful. They'd wait to tell Patia what she needed to know. Right now, just setting the course for the future was more important.

Lois reentered the room a few moments later, and Kal's curiosity was immediately piqued when she dimmed the lights. He still didn't move, couldn't bring himself to, as she approached him. Her expression was steely serious and the gentle sway of her hips captivated the man lying on the plush cushions of the lounge. She didn't utter a word as she stopped between his legs. His breath left him in a rush when she dropped the robe she wore to the floor and he saw that she was naked beneath. With determined hands, she pushed his robe open, revealing his equally naked body underneath. Every nerve ending sprang to attention as he continued to stare into her eyes.

"Zor!" he breathed as she kneeled before him. He sat in rapt attention, unsure of her next move. The night before she'd shown him things he never thought of her doing with him. He wasn't completely novice when it came to sexual acts, but he was extremely inexperienced when it came to true intimacy.

Kal simply gave himself over to Lois, submitting to her completely. And she assertively claimed what was hers. He was willingly giving her his body... his heart... his life.

Damn, she was beautiful right now.

Her head dropped to his chest and his arms lifted without thought to hold her securely against his body.

"I had to know," she said when she could talk.

"Had to know what?"

"If you'd just love me, even though we haven't talked."

"I'd love you if we were in the middle of a full blown fight," he assured her as he pushed a strand of wet hair off her head. "Lois, I've never seen anything as beautiful as I did just now."

She leaned up to look him, her brows knitted in question.

"You... confident, strong, determined, and completely trusting me to allow you to take what you wanted."

"I didn't intend to be selfish."

"Selfish? That was not selfish. You lost yourself completely in your pleasure, secure in the knowledge that I would keep you safe until you emerged from the other side of your euphoria. Very beautiful," he repeated as he smoothed his hands over her shoulders. "I've never felt as powerful as did tonight."

"Kal..." she breathed and leaned to kiss him. A change in position, a change in location, they made love several times, in several places before the morning light. It was only after Kal had pulled his tunic over his head that Lois reached out to take his hand.

"Just as I trusted you last night, I will do it again today. My life, our son's life, our future is safe... with you."

His hand went up to cup her cheek. "Tonight when we see one another, it will be as true equals, in a world approaching great change." He kissed her briefly, drew back, and bowed the traditional bow usually bestowed on him alone. "Milady," he said just before he rose again. "Be well." He gave her a smile, then turned to leave.

"Kal?"

He stopped at the door to face her. "Yes?"

"I love you," she whispered.

"And I love you." Another brilliant smile and he was gone.

++

Lord Kal-El, proud, majestic in gait, entered Council chambers to a hub of activity. Final preparations were made, Ti led to the defendant’s platform, and the small crowd settled for the hearing. Trials were open to the public, just as on Earth. The room was filled to overflowing, and as Kal glanced around the room, a familiar face was there among the throng. He and Lois shared a brief glance before he lifted the gavel and called the meeting to order.

The assembled mass sat in stunned silence when the vid-tape submitted as evidence stopped playing. The tape showed Ti making deals with another Lord to deliberately attack a military base. Witnesses came forward to offer testimony against the elder Lord of El. But the strained silence that now hang heavily in the room came when Kal-El called his final witness. Now all eyes, including Ti's, stared in disbelief at the younger Lord of El. Ching testified that Ti had plotted to assassinate him.

"In light of this testimony, and with such blatant evidence, I implore Council to find Ti-El guilty of high treason," Kal finally said, slicing through the thick tension in the room.

Trey finally seemed to come to his senses. "Ye... yes." He turned and conversed with the two other members for a brief moment before facing the assembly again. "Ti-El, you have been found guilty of high treason against your world, against your Throne, against your First Lord. By rising up against your own race, we have no choice but condemn you to your fate."

"As for charges against Lord Nor," Kal continued before Trey was able to utter the word execution.

"Nor, you are hereby stripped of your title, of your position, of your house. Guilt of high treason carries a sentence of..."

"Isolation on Contemplation Island," Kal spoke up. "Both men will live out their days in the other's company with only the work of their own hands to sustain life."

Contemplation Island was a space satellite that hovered in orbit around a Kryptonian moon. It was built for extensive studies in space, but had long since served its purpose to its world. Now it housed two other men, both convicted of crimes against the Throne. The barren shelter was perfect for such purposes. And it was completely void of any conveniences. There was only one mission to the satellite each year to deliver food and water, and even that was delivered via a transport tunnel. Once on the Island, you never saw anyone again.

"Must I remind you that the sentence of these charges is..."

"Not anymore, Trey. As First Lord I hold power to override a sentence of execution." He tossed a scroll toward Trey. "A seldom used clause buried so deeply in our history that I almost missed it." He waved a hand for the newest members of Contemplation Island to be removed. "Sentence will be carried out immediately. Prepare a ship for transport."

"I'd rather have my molecules dissolved," Ti said in disgust.

"Yeah, well, you should have thought of that long ago. I do have to thank you, Ti. You've shown me the kind of man I don't want to be anymore."

The older man merely smirked as he was led from the room. When order was restored, Kal addressed Council again.

"Please clear the room. Lord Ching and Lady Zara, Lady Lois, and Lord Sam should remain or be brought in," Kal ordered.

"Milord?"

Kal simply held his hand up as the room emptied and those called for were brought in. "Let me start by saying that I will set new precedence here today. It is my hope that Council will agree with the decisions I make and back me." As the confusion mounted, Kal pulled a scroll from a small stack he'd placed before him on the table. "By order of this writ, Lord Ching's place in El is restored."

"I must express my dislike of the handling of this matter," Trey spoke up. "It is apparent that you have known of his return for some time."

"A few days, Trey, yes. Your dislike is noted. Now..." He pulled out another scroll. "Certain things have come to my attention. Because of these, and because of this..." He held up the scroll. "I hereby dissolve my marriage and that of my brother."

"Just a minute..."

"Lord Trey, this is Royal order for the dissolution of the birth order act."

"You can't do that!"

"I can and I am. Law states that every First Lord has the authority to enact one new law during his reign. I choose instead to dissolve one."

"I must protest."

"Trey, you have been blessed with a pleasant relationship with your birth wife. But what about those who haven't? Ching, myself..."

"He's right, Trey," one of the other members spoke up. "My life has been very unpleasant."

"As has mine," the other member said.

Kal almost smiled. "A vote then. By dissolving birth marriages, we're giving men and women back the choice to be truly happy."

"And what if a noble chooses... a servant girl to wed?" Trey asked frantically.

"His house would be clean," Lois offered before she could stop herself.

Ching snickered aloud. He'd been right. This lady was going to set Krypton on fire.

Biting his lip, Kal glared at Lois, trying to be stern. It didn't work very well though. She only turned her head, not embarrassed one bit.

"I second Kal's motion," said one of the members.

"Third."

Kal held his breath as he waited for Trey to speak.

"By order of this Throne, all men, noble men included, are hereby free to choose his own bride," Trey said finally.

"Thank you, Trey."

"That doesn't change the fact that you were married *before* this act passed."

"No, but..." He lifted his gaze to his brother.

"His marriage can be dissolved because his wife had an affair," the younger brother finished for him.

"What?!"

"She and I have slept together. We've procreated."

Trey could only stare at Ching in shock.

"Lady Patia is Ching's daughter," Kal added. "Lord Sam is here to testify to that fact."

"Did you know of this?" Trey asked Kal.

"Not until two days ago."

Trey rubbed his temples, the way he often did when he was tense. "Milady, Milord, what you've done is treasonous."

"Don't go there, Trey," Kal almost growled. "I will not allow them to be executed."

"And just what do you propose we do with them?" Trey's voice rose in anger and frustration.

"I propose we send them to Earth to undergo family therapy. I'm told there is a great place in Kansas. Quiet, peaceful... Perfect for a mother and father to get to know their daughter." His eyes never left Ching's as he spoke. "I figure forcing them to live on a farm, working as common laborers with enough time to become a strong family should be a good start. Maybe six months spent in the barren plains of Kansas farmland will show them just what they've given up here."

"Are you mad?!" Trey almost shouted, his eyes threatening to bulge from his head.

"On the contrary, Trey. I've never been more stable. With the dissolution of Ching's marriage, I advocate his union to Lady Zara. Once they are married, and the time has been spent on Earth where things will have been explained to Patia, the young Lady will be presented to her father's subjects. If I'm satisfied they've learned their lesson when they return, I will offer them the house in Carn as the second House of El."

"Kal-El..."

"Trey, stop for just a second and think about this. If I allow these two to be executed, I'm killing Patia's parents. Both of them. By allowing them to live, to care for her, I'm being allowed to continue to love my little girl. I'm losing here, too, Trey. But this world can gain from what we do today. Give them a chance to have a real life."

"The disgrace, Milord."

"What disgrace? The only one who should feel that way is me. And I only feel a resigned calm. I do this for Patia and I do this because I know how they feel. I know how it feels to want one and be forced to be with another. Duty has guided our lives and has cost us so much. It's time we let passion guide us. One man did that and because he did, I now have a son."

Again Trey rubbed his temples. "That man's passion also cost this world its leader."

"You don't believe that, Trey. You never did." When the Council chief looked up at him, he went on. "I've read the transcripts. You had your doubts, but instead of voting with your heart, you voted your logic and my father was executed."

"I think Kal's right, Trey," one of the other men said. "We need to breathe some life back into this world. Lady Zara, Lord Ching, I cannot condone what you've done, but learn from your mistakes."

"Our life will never be the same," Trey muttered as he lifted a pen to sign the writ giving Zara and Ching permission to marry and send them to Earth. "I have a feeling we're not done."

"No," Kal said with a grin.

"I was afraid of that."

"As soon as Lady Lois is ready, she and I will be married."

This time, Trey looked over at Lois, an unreadable expression on his face.

"She is a Lady, Trey. And since I will be without a birth wife..."

"The day you stood toe to toe with Kal-El in your father's lab when you both were merely teenagers, I knew you'd effect great change. You and he were exactly alike and I found myself wishing you had been his birth wife. I would have given anything to witness the fireworks I'm sure would have gone off when you joined the House of El." Trey stood and bowed deeply. "Welcome home, Milady." He turned to face a very shocked First Lord. "Do not dawdle long. We have an heir to present to this world." With that, he turned and left the room.

"Congratulations, Lord Kal," one of the other men said as he rose to leave. His sentiment was followed by the remaining member expressing his best wishes and thanking Kal for what he'd done.

"I will not have to bind my unborn baby girl to some monster like Nor or Ti. I know not all nobles are such tyrants, but I would rather not have to take the chance."

"I agree." Kal bowed to the man, then faced the others when they were alone.

They all burst out in thrilled laughter, hugging one another in celebration.

"You did it," Lois gushed with pride.

"We did it, My Lady," he told her just before he kissed her softly.

"Hey, hey," Ching rebuked softly, but refused to let Zara go. "I can't thank you enough for the 'forced' trip."

"I've made a lot of mistakes, Ching. I think it's time to start rectifying those." His eyes shifted back to Lois. "As soon as Council calms a bit, I'm going to give Earth back to its people."

"Oh, Kal," she whispered.

"It'll be a slow process and there are many things that have to be worked out. I'm hoping the First Lady will help me." His statement was more of a question, his eyes hopeful.

"How can I not help a man who's given me an entire world?" she asked him with a soft smile.

Kal lifted his hands to frame her face, smiling brightly, while he stared into her eyes. For so long he'd wanted this woman. He just couldn't believe it was actually happening.

"I trust you will take good care of my daughter," Sam Lane spoke up.

"Dr. Lane," Kal said without looking away from Lois. "I'm just hoping I can keep up with her." The couple continued to look at one another while the others laughed aloud.

Yep, Ching thought, Krypton doesn't have a clue!

++++
Krypton: Year 2133 in the sixth cycle (or June 1992)
++++

The late afternoon sun cast an hypnotic glow over the garden as the staff busied themselves cleaning up from a grand gala that had taken place. Lois had introduced her new world to celebration in the form of a child's birthday party, complete with streamers and toys. Jordan had turned four within the midst of a modern day Kryptonian-Earthling family. His big day had even been punctuated by the addition of surrogate grandparents.

Patia had grown homesick rather quickly on her parents' 'forced' trip to Earth. Though she'd adapted quite well to her new life, and was even speaking following the success of her surgery to repair her vocal cords, she missed Jordan very much. She was also the reason an aging farm couple from Kansas had come to live at the new House of El.

Kal, as promised, placed his brother in charge of the province that had once been the responsibility of Lord Nor. However, Ching chose to build his own home and serve as a mere advisor, allowing the oldest daughter of Carn to live in her father's home and care for *her* people.

Lord Ching was certainly a fast learner, Lois thought as she watched Kal bend to lift Patia from her feet.

"I'm a special girl," she announced, her newfound voice so strong one would never know she hadn't been speaking for years.

"Yes, you are," Kal agreed as he kissed her cheek.

"I have a new daddy and an old daddy."

Kal chuckled softly. "That's one way to put it."

"Do I have to call you Lord now?" she asked with a very serious expression.

"I like Uncle Kal much better."

"Well, I like 'D'."

Kal's brows knitted together in confusion.

"For daddy, but not really. 'Cause you'll always be my first daddy."

A broad smile spread across Kal's lips as he hugged 'his' little girl to his chest.

"I think that's a great idea," came the voice of Ching as he stepped up to clap Kal's shoulder. "A child can never have too many people who love her." He patted Kal's shoulder a couple of times, then continued across the lawn.

Patia sat up to look at Kal. "I'm brilliant, too," she announced.

"Where did you learn that word?"

"From Auntie Lo!"

Kal was left to laugh alone because she'd struggled back to her feet and gone in search of Jordan.

Lois shared a knowing smile with her husband before someone called his name.

Yes, she decided, she liked her life here. On July Fourth, she and Kal would be on Earth to release the planet from Kryptonian rule. A true independence day.

They planned to spend a month there so she could show him her world through her eyes. As much as she loved Earth, as passionately as she'd fought for it, for freedom... she loved Kal much more. And Krypton had a lot to offer, especially when you were the First Lady.

Slowly Kal was creating change. Work conditions had never been better, the first woman would join the military academy this term, noblemen everywhere were seeking divorcement so they could wed women of their choosing, while their wives were enrolling in University for proper education. Those women had opinions and ideas waiting to be explored. And Kal-El patiently listened to as many as he could.

The same way he listened to her. She was now a regular figure in Council meetings and the First Lord never decided a thing until she was consulted.

Such a good boy, she thought mischievously as she watched him.

In more ways than one. There was still a long way for him to go to undo all the years of twisted logic that had been engrained in his nature, but he'd made great strides in such a short time. Their marriage had taken place just a few weeks after the announcement, neither willing to wait another second. It was a grand affair heavily incorporated with Earthling traditions and customs.

She glanced at the golden band circling her finger, a perfect match to the one he wore. That had been Kal's idea. He wanted her to feel at home and he took every opportunity to do that. Like allowing her to transform an entire wing of the Palace into a private home just for them. She wore traditional Kryptonian attire during formal functions only. The rest of the time she was dressed in the more comfortable clothing imported from Earth. Kal still wore his suit a good deal of the time, but chose to slip into jeans and sneakers during their 'down time'. Of course, Jordan wanted to be exactly like his father, so whatever Kal wore, Jordan wore.

Her world still had a long way to go, but it became more livable with each day that passed. Without the pressures of a completely duty filled life, the people started to come alive. Even the servants in the Palace, who refused to leave, were beginning to come out of their shells. The day a pole was erected in the west garden with a loop and a net on the top, they'd thought Kal really had gone mad. When he invited them out and explained the game of basketball to them, you could almost see them strapping him to a bed at the funny farm. Then he tossed one of the young men a ball and dared the boy to give it a try. Now, the last morning of each week dawned to the cheers of the small crowd that gathered when the First Lord joins his staff to play. Zin commented that if Kal was going to be so good to them, they would never leave his service.

It seemed even the servants knew how she felt.

Lois smiled as she watched Jordan and Patia lead Kal down to the lake. Sucker, she thought and laughed out loud when he fell into the water, caught off guard when Ching blindsided him to help the children out.

Yeah, she liked her life here.

++

Mad, Trey thought, he's gone completely mad.

The chief elder stood at the window in his office, looking down on the garden. Kal-El was knee deep in the lake in only his shorts, splashing water with his son and Lady Patia. Lord Ching was stripping off his clothes as well!

First all those changes, now this.

He continued to watch as the small group shouted and laughed as if they had not a care in the world.

Then again, maybe there was something to what they were doing. They looked... happy.

It had been so long since he'd felt happy, he couldn't even recall. When had he last smiled?

Trey continued to watch as Kal lifted the boy into the air and tossed him in the water. His eyes widened in surprise at the audacity of it all.

Then something remarkable happened. The older lord pushed his window open to allow the laughter to drift into his stuffy office.

And before he knew it, Lord Trey was smiling.

++++
Krypton: Year 2133 in the twelfth cycle (or December 1992)
++++

"And I want a bike and a football, and and..."

"Well, you won't get anything if you don't go to sleep," Kal told Jordan as he tucked him into bed.

Krypton had been introduced to the Earthling tradition of Christmas, one that had been received very well. Decorations adorned the cities and soft music seemed to feel the air as the world prepared to celebrate unity for the first time. And the children looked forward to the arrival of Santa Claus. Never before had the concept of gift giving been thought of. Material possessions had always been limited to what was absolutely needed. Children didn't truly know what play was. But they were quick learners.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah?" Kal continued his tucking job. Though it was very cozy inside their little home, he wasn't about to take a chance that his little guy would catch chill. Even the weather had cooperated with Christmas preparations. At least a foot of snow had fallen and it was still coming down.

"I really, really want a little brother."

Kal laughed softly. "We'll have to wait a bit longer for that one."

Lois had given him the world the day she told him they had conceived another child. Their trip to Earth had been a bit more productive than he had anticipated. His wife had blossomed considerably since then, but there was still a while to go yet.

"I guess a sister would be good, too. But Patia already seems like my sister and she's a girl and her folks are having another baby."

"You babble like your mother," he told Jordan as he leaned to kiss his forehead.

"Is it okay to just ask Santa for a little brother?"

"As long as you go to sleep," Kal rebuked softly.

"Okay. 'Night."

"Goodnight, son." Kal stood and headed for the door.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, son?" He stopped at the door and looked at his boy lying in the light shining into the room.

"I love you."

"I love you, too, son." How could a man ask for more? He thought as he closed the door softly. He entered the parlor to find his wife standing in front of the window watching the snow. She'd cut all the lights except for those on their enormous Christmas tree and she looked absolutely stunning in the soft glow.

Then again, maybe he didn't *have* to ask.

Kal stepped up behind her and lifted his hands to smooth over her very pregnant belly. "This is heaven," he whispered in her ear.

"I thought the act to do this was heaven."

"That, too," he agreed as he wrapped his arms around her. The baby expressed dislike of Daddy's arms around Mommy's mid-section, eliciting a smile from Kal. "He knows his father's touch."

"*She* loves her father," Lois told him as she turned in his arms.

"Jordan is going to ask Santa for a brother."

"Well, if Santa is a very good boy, he might be able to get a gift of his own tonight," she told him huskily as she stretched up to kiss his lips.

"Definitely heaven," Kal said when he drew back.

They stood, holding one another, and enjoying the moment. A moment so long in coming. Against all the obstacles that had been strewn across their path, they'd finally made it.

Krypton was alive with energy where once only stoic indifference had existed. People really lived now, with more concerns than just duty. Everywhere change was taking place.

Earth was once again a thriving world of undefeatable pride. Rebuilt to a splendor even greater than before; Kryptonian technology had certainly been utilized to full advantage. And both worlds co-existed in the kind of harmony Jor-El had once envisioned it would.

Ironic that his son was the one to realize his vision. To do so after so many trials was remarkable.

Kal was so much different than he'd been. He was still a strong, determined leader, but compassion had taken the place of arrogance and the good of all was placed before the good of the Throne. He had begun the transformation into the kind of man he wanted to be. Respected by all, he'd recently discovered that he was beginning to be loved by many.

Ching had been right about Lois. She'd set the world on fire. In the short year since she'd been on Krypton, she'd changed everyone's perspective. She'd stood toe to toe with just about every man, woman, and child who had the audacity to challenge the change her husband was enacting. And each and every one had backed down first.

Ching and Zara shared a wonderful life. Patia would soon be joined by a younger sibling and the Kents had fallen in love with all the members of the House of El, so they'd agreed to stay.

Sam had taken to life as a Lord quite well. He was personal physician to the Palace, but still managed to practice in his province. He considered dismantling the birth matrix the single greatest achievement of his career. He'd even found a lady friend to spend time with.

Kal's palm caressed Lois' mound with all the reverence he could muster. He'd never had this opportunity before, never known the joys of seeing his child grow in its mother's body. He was making up for lost time.

"I love you, Kal-El," Lois whispered, then placed a kiss on his jaw.

"I love you, My Lady." His hand came up to hold her face, his eyes conveying all his emotion. "My beautiful lady," he whispered before he kissed her.

Slowly the couple slipped into a haze of ecstasy as the lights on the Christmas tree twinkled behind them. Begun with the vision of one couple so long ago, Kryptonians had evolved into caring, compassionate individuals through the efforts of another couple. A journey that had introduced two worlds of peoples, taken years and countless trials to make, had also introduced a man and woman to their other half. That introduction set the stage for a phenomenal life.

It also started another leg of a never-ending journey.