When her tears had run out, lying alone in her bed was a situation she just couldn't face. She decided that walking would help. During her trek, she'd run into Zin, who gave her a copy of the Council transcript. She'd read it while sitting on a bench near the lake.

Kal had kept his word; he'd granted her equal custody of their son and released her from his claim. He would be prepared to find her suitable employment and housing, even as they continued to search for Jordan. Suddenly she realized that she was very surprised. Had she not believed he would actually do as he'd said?

Why had he done it anyway? Was he simply tired of having the woman that moved him in his house? Was he tired of the demands placed upon him by their situation? It *was* extremely draining to be so close, yet so far apart. And to know that it would always be that way... It threatened to buckle even the strongest will. Was allowing her to live outside the confines of his house easier to deal with?

Or did he just simply want her to have a life that she could say was mostly her own?

Kal was so much different than she remembered. She'd glimpsed the kind of man he could be, the night they'd spent together on the transport. She's seen a light burning within his eyes, knew the potential there. Kal hadn't known, and he still hadn't reached his true place, but the changes were obvious. Before, she was sure he would have never done the things he had in Council chambers or any of the things he now did from day to day.

He wouldn't have threatened a man's life out of passionately felt emotions. And he certainly wouldn't have released a woman he desperately wanted.

And why was she even questioning his motives? She should be thrilled that he'd released her. She'd have equal say in Jordan's education...

If we ever find him, she found herself thinking before she could stop the thought.

Was that why she felt so... alone now? Her father was on this world with her, the one person who had an undeniable link to her. But try as she might, right now Kal was the only one she wanted to be near. He alone was who she shared the most powerful bond with.

And he alone was the one she wanted to see.

Tears sprang to her eyes from sheer frustration. So much had happened, would happen. Sometimes it was hard keeping up. When Jordan was found, they would have to remain on this world. She could deal with that fate if she had her son with her. But what if he was never found? Ti could easily take him back to Earth and they'd never know. Look how she'd been brought here without Kal's knowledge.

And Kal? How would he be affected if Jordan was never found? She'd watched his love grow for his son over the weeks, had actually begun to feel his emotions of helplessness over not being able to find Jordan. What if their son's absence took its toll on the First Lord? She'd witnessed how passionate he could become over something he believed. Would he fold in around himself with such a devastating blow? If he did, what then? Would it be something even she'd be unable to help him overcome? Would his world suffer? Would Earth? Even more than they already had? Earth was being rebuilt; it finally resembled an inhabitable planet again. She just wasn't sure Earthlings could stand another devastating blow.

Dan had lost his life in the pursuit of freedom for his world. Would his death be in vain? If Kal faltered, would Earth finally succumb completely?

There was just too much going through her brain; it was starting to give her a headache. Slowly getting to her feet, she started back toward the Palace. Just inside the corridor, she stopped to stare in stunned silence.

There, walking down the dimly lit passage was none other than the First Lady herself. The woman approached Lois, a slight smile gracing her lips.

"You must be Miss Lane," Zara said in a tone that sounded almost cheerful.

"Ah, y... yes." She remembered to whom she spoke and bowed accordingly.

"That's not necessary, Miss Lane. I would rather look you in the eyes."

Lois carefully met the woman's gaze, fearing she was about to be rebuked for having a child with this woman's husband.

"I have just come from speaking with your father. He tells me that things are looking well for Patia's health. Tomorrow he will run a battery of tests that will determine for certain why my child does not speak."

"That's wonderful, Milady."

Zara stared at Lois for several moments before she said something that almost floored Lois. "I, too, know what it feels like to adore someone so much. My heart aches for you over the loss of your son. I will pray to Zor daily until he is safe again. I will also pray that when he meets his sister, she will be able to greet him vocally."

"Ah, I, ah, I..." Lois stopped, her eyes suddenly swelling with tears.

"Go to him... Lois. While I am estranged from my husband by choice, I know that he suffers greatly. You are the only one to offer him comfort. And he to you. It is not wrong when two hearts find one another."

If she thought she'd been stunned earlier, she was shocked beyond belief now. Her eyes cleared as Zara's softened and spoke volumes of the pain of being unable to live the life you so desire.

"In time, Kal-El will find a way, if you'd only indicate that you wanted for it to be."

To further stun Lois, Zara reached out to take her hands. She didn't speak again, but squeezed firmly, then walked on past, out into the garden. Lois could only stare at the closed door, her mouth agape.

What the hell just happened here?!

She'd never imagined her first meeting with Lady Zara to be *anything* like that! The little she'd heard about the woman left her with the impression that she was as unemotional as a brick. She was told that Zara despised being inside the House of El, and Zin had recently said that Kal had begun to allow her to travel after the birth of Lady Patia, to keep their relationship civil so he could visit with his daughter.

But this woman was nothing like she'd imagined. This woman was... warm, compassionate, and hurting as much as she did. Suddenly Lois was thankful she wasn't the First Lady.

++

Her steps had taken her back to her chambers, only to lead her away again. She wasn't sure how or even why she'd come to where she was now, but she stood outside Kal's door. When she realized where she was going, she'd immediately whirled around and headed in the other direction. Five minutes later, she was right back again.

She stood across the corridor, staring at the large doors before her. The huge symbol of El spread across the double panels, indicating the person inside was very important. There was a guard at the end of the hallway who'd bowed to her, allowed her to pass, but had not tried to stop her.

One step, then two... another. When she was close enough, the doors to his chambers slipped open.

What did that mean? Doors in the Palace did not slip open to anyone unless they were recognized by the computer for access. Did Kal program his computer to let her in? Was he that confident she might come to him?

The man lying in the bed before her was void of demons in repose. He was lying on his back, the covering down to his waist, his expression relaxed. Not at all the man she knew. And very much the man she saw when she looked at him.

Unable to stop herself, she ventured further into the room and the doors whisked shut behind her.

Suddenly Kal sat straight up in bed. "NO!"

She watched as he seemed to wake, shaking off the remnants of a nightmare.

"Kal?"

His head snapped around toward her. "Miss Lane? Are you alright?" He swung his legs over the side of the bed, ready to come to her aid.

"I, ah, I..." She stopped, choked back a sob, then took another step toward Kal.

He lifted his arms, offering her the haven she sought.

And she didn't fight any longer. The distance between them was closed and he had her enfolded in his arms. Lois buried her face in the crook of his neck and again, she sobbed her pain. For one night they'd stop fighting the pull to one another and just share the loss of their son.

++

Kal sat in the chair beside the bed watching the woman there sleep. He'd been momentarily stunned by her presence in his room the night before, but quickly the need to comfort her won out over his need to distance himself from her.

Wasn't that why she alone was the only other person to have immediate access to his chambers?

He'd been unable to stop himself from hoping that she might come to him. Many, many times he'd stood at the end of the corridor leading to her room. Last night had done wonders for his state of mind. He'd needed her as much as she had apparently needed him.

After she'd cried herself out, he'd cradled her as if she were a child, settled against the headboard of his bed. He'd gently stroked her hair as she quietly told him about their son. In the soft light that filtered through the window, Kal was introduced to Jordan through his mother's eyes. He'd also fallen in love for the second time in his life.

He'd awakened over an hour ago with Lois still tucked close to his body. Never had anything felt so right, he thought as he lay there absorbing her very being. It wasn't until he'd forced himself to put distance between them that he'd allowed himself to think about what her being there meant.

Obviously she'd been in pain. He, too, suffered the stabbing jolts that constantly assailed him over the loss of their son. But more than that, he felt the pain of not being able to be with Lois the way he longed. Could she possibly feel anything for him? She'd told him that he was the one she felt the closest to, that the bond they shared was so strong she'd begun to feel it constantly. She'd told him that she'd wanted to share their grief, let some of it out so they would be strong enough to continue their search. Her voice was strong, sincere when she'd told him that she wanted to comfort him as much as she wanted to receive comfort.

So, he'd sat, looking at her... this woman that had changed him forever. And he'd begun to think that it might be time to stop feeling sorry for what he couldn't have and think about finding a way to change it.

He had never entertained thoughts of giving up his position as First Lord. But all the frustration he'd ever felt because of who he was had made him think just that while he sat. Was that the way? As First Lord he could make changes, introduce new doctrine. As First Lord he'd have consideration with Council. He could protect Lois, Jordan, and Patia while he enacted change.

And who was he if not First Lord? He knew nothing else. He'd been born to take his place at the head of Kryptonian society. Years upon years of education and training had been devoted to the sole purpose of his position. Yet, he felt that had he been born a simple man, his life might not be so difficult now.

Of course, if he'd been born into a simple life, he might never have known the joy he felt each and every time he looked at this woman.

He'd use his education, his knowledge to search for a way for this woman to become part of his life in the way he wanted. Even though nothing changed the fact that law and tradition would still dictate his life, that he was nobility, royalty, he would not stop looking for a way. Being First Lord, thrust into a life of tradition and duty, with a wife he didn't know or want, a daughter that he barely knew, a son he didn't know at all...

None of it could stop him from wanting this woman more than life itself.

He inhaled deeply, hoping that maybe answers could be found in the air that filled his lungs. But none came.

If she'd only indicate the tiniest spark, he'd give her his very life.

He reached out to smooth her hair back off her head. He'd promised her last night that he would turn Krypton inside out if he had to in order to find their son, and if he did nothing else, he would keep that promise.

++

Kal was gone when she woke. Slowly Lois padded into the bathing chamber. When she emerged half an hour later, she was clean and ready to face the day.

Almost.

The guard told her that Kal was in his state room and that he'd been ordered to get her breakfast or she was invited to join Lord Kal for morning meal. She told the guard to contact Kal to let him know that she would join him, then headed to her chamber for fresh clothes. When she made it to Kal's state room, a large tray of food waited on the table in the corner.

"Good morning," Kal told her with the slightest of smiles.

"What's so good about it?" She hadn't meant to be so hateful, but the words slipped from her lips before she could stop them.

"Plenty," Kal told her as he rose to join her at the other table.

She had lifted the covers from the food and was munching some fruit when he sat down.

"I've ordered all space transportation put on hold until Jordan is found. I've picked apart every vid-tape since you've been on Krypton and he has not been taken back to Earth. You were worried about that. I did see your arrival," he remarked in a defeated tone.

"How did you recognize us? They had us covered."

"I'm not sure. I just knew when I saw you... and Jordan."

They were silent for a long moment before Kal lifted his eyes to hers. "I've spoken with a man that saw Jordan being taken from the building in Shaw. He was unwilling to talk until I granted immunity from charges. Ti-El is definitely responsible for his abduction."

"The man saw Ti?"

"No, but he saw Ti's guard." Kal leaned forward on the table. "No one knows I've spoken with this man. Chan came to me this morning and he and I alone spoke with him. He was scheduled to be aboard the next flight to Earth for a tour of duty, so he was here in El. Along with his immunity, he was given enough money to keep him tucked away in a gaming room long enough for me to... persuade Ti's guard that service to his Lord will include a barren rock if he keeps his allegiance."

"We've been so close before," Lois said softy as she picked apart a roll of bread.

"We will find him, Miss Lane."

The silence stretched out again, giving them both time to digest their emotions and this news. Finally Lois looked up at him. "I read the transcript from the Council hearing yesterday."

"I won't try to force you to stay here. We can continue to search for Jordan, and who knows? Ti might even become careless with you living on your own. Of course, you will be constantly protected."

"What if I said I wanted to stay here?" she breathed, her eyes firmly locked with his. "What if I *wanted* to stay in the Palace? With you?"

++

Kal had to strain to hear the last part of her question. Had his ears betrayed him? There was no way she could have said what he thought she had.

But she was on her feet, walking toward his desk. "I was so lost last night. Why I ended up in your room, I don't know. It just seemed the most natural place to be. You are the only one that knows anything about how I feel. Having my father here is wonderful. I'm so grateful to you for bringing him. But even he doesn't know how I feel."

She walked around behind his desk, lifting the photo of Jordan. "No one can know what this child means. He might be the only chance we have to share our feelings," she whispered.

Kal had to close his eyes. The words he wanted more than anything to hear filled the room. Yet, he wanted to shout that she stop, not say another word.

"I don't think I could live alone."

"You will always have a place in the Palace, Miss Lane."

"And I know what this means, what it will cost us both." Her eyes locked with his again. "I can't deny what I felt last night, what I feel every second. You and I, we share so much. Wanting to do things that are impossible. A marriage to one when you long for another."

He averted his gaze, so much running through his mind. He looked up when Lois sat across from him again.

"I've told myself, argued fiercely that to feel this way was impossible. I married another man in hopes that maybe that would help. Do you know how many times I've wanted to contact you? Ask you to come for me, for us? Bring us here?" She looked away from Kal, wiping tears from her face. "I won't be your concubine, a lover you tuck away. I can't be."

"Don't you know I'd give it all up to have you by my side?" He reached out to grasp her hands. "Because of you, I *feel* alive. If I'd never met you, how much different would I be now?"

"That thought scares me at times," Lois confessed.

"Don't offer me hope just to tell me that's the only reason..."

"No!" She met his gaze with fierce determination. "I mean every word I've said. I've tried to stop how I feel. It's irrational, *illogical*, and plain pointless. But I feel it, have always felt it. And losing Jordan, marriage-- either one, being forced to sign a contract by a madman, all these ridiculous laws and customs... nothing can stop it. The only time I feel alive is when I think of you."

Kal watched as she squeezed his hand between both of hers. "I've never been forced from my world. This is the only life I've ever known. Yet, the night I lost my heart to you, I felt as if I'd come home." He lifted his other hand to gently cup her face. "You will never be my concubine. One day, Miss Lane..."

"Lois, my name is Lois," she whispered, just as he had to her once.

A tender smile graced his lips as he moved his hand to thread his fingers under her hair. "Hold your head high, walk by my side as my friend, for now, and one day I'll give you the world."

She leaned forward and their foreheads touched. Both closed their eyes, sharing a moment that would once again change their lives.

It was a long while later that Lois reluctantly pulled away.

"Would you get off your *** and find our son?" Her tone was light, as light as he'd heard in a while. Kal couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, ma'am." With a quick salute, he rose to prepare their next move while she finished her meal.

There was no turning back now. They'd shared their feelings, committed their hearts. Kal would spend the rest of his life searching for a way to make Lois his equal.

Right after they found their son.

++

The House of Ren stood in the distance, tall and stately, dark and threatening. Just looking at it could provoke a sense of dread. Had the evil seeped from its master into the very walls?

Inside, Ti-El brooded miserably. For the past few weeks, he'd spent most of his time replaying his choices over and over in his mind. So many plans had gone horribly wrong in the years since his brother's execution. When he'd conceived his ingenious endeavor, he'd only looked ahead to the end result. In his mind, it had been so perfect. He hadn't allowed room for error. Kal-El was Kryptonian and would be raised accordingly. It was as simple as that.

He should have planned for disasters. But how could he have possibly imagined that his nephew would have ever developed an unhealthy affection for a despicable Earthling? No one could have predicted such nonsense!

It just wasn't logical to act emotionally. *Feelings* were unnecessary. Nobility should feel passion for the Kryptonian way of life, pride in himself as a strong, confidant man, and relief, satisfaction when he's spent time with a caregiver who'd done her job well. A proud Kryptonian noble would never allow sentiment to cloud his judgment. And one would certainly never let affection lead them to procreate outside his marriage.

Ti grew increasingly hostile toward his... guest. The little monster had cried for weeks, then sat and stared out the window after proper medication had been introduced. For the last three days, he'd slept. The boy would only wake long enough to eat, be cleaned, and receive his evening instruction. Instruction Ti felt was essential if there was ever any hope to teach the boy anything.

"Milord?" called a servant from the doorway.

"Yes? What is it?" Ti barked out, angry that he'd been disturbed.

"You have a visitor, Milord. I tried to stop him..."

"But I insisted that you see me," came the condescending voice of Lord Nor as he entered the room.

"What are doing here, Nor?" Ti had been doing everything possible to avoid Nor since the fiasco with that Earth woman, as Ti liked to refer to it.

"I should be asking you why you haven't seen me before now." Nor circled the room, eyeing the various objects setting on the various surfaces. "What the hell was that, Ti? For years I've stood by your side, handled your dirty work. And you repay me by hanging me out to dry? Not once did you speak out on my behalf."

"Just calm down, Nor. You're still alive, and no one believes that concubine."

"No one but Trey and Kal-El!"

"And has it done him any good? He still has yet to find his bastard. So, go home and conquer some servant girl."

Nor stepped up to Ti's desk and slammed his hand down to get the other lord's attention. "Don't play games with me, Ti-El. I can ruin you!"

"And I will ruin you! Consider this whole event a little lesson in civility, Nor." Ti had stood and faced off with Nor across the desk.

Nor stared at Ti for several moments before finally turning and seating himself. "You must be thrilled with the death of one of your nephews?"

"Quite. And the added bonus of knowing it pains Kal hasn't hurt." Ti busied himself with pouring a couple of drinks for a moment before setting a glass down in front of Nor. "Almost makes up for him making accusations against me."

"Well, at least you have the proper people in place to keep you a step ahead of our wonderful First Lord."

"And to be the odd vote in Council." Ti held up the glass, then sat down again.

"How is our dear Jen-Mai?"

"Broke. His lust for the gaming rooms has placed him in most unfortunate, or fortunate for me, circumstances." Ti downed the remainder of his drink before leaning back in his chair.

"And that horrid Earth creature?"

"Growing intolerable by the day. There is not a Kryptonian child alive that has ever been as much trouble as that boy. I was not even aware that a child could cry as long as he can."

Nor chuckled loudly. "I'm told that you've lost a couple of caretakers because of his behavior."

"Yes. I had no choice but to bring him here."

"Is that dangerous? One never knows when the First Lord will feel the need to visit."

"Information about those kinds of visits is what is keeping dear Jen-Mai at home instead of in the poor house." They poured themselves another drink, toasted briefly, then savored the rich flavor of their spirits. "Continue negotiations with the group in the north. I want the change of season to usher in great strife for my nephew."

"As it will, Milord. I'm told Kal-El has given his lover equal custody of their bastard."

"I've heard the same thing. Yet, he keeps her tucked away inside the Palace, guarded as heavily as the First Lady. I'd thought of adding a little drama to Kal's life by arranging an accident for the First Lady."

"One that appears to be the fault of her husband," Nor put in.

"No less," Ti agreed with a smug smile. "Wouldn't his precious Trey balk if he thought Kal had killed his own wife so that his lover didn't feel threatened? But alas, it seems Zara has fallen ill. I'm told she hasn't left chambers in many cycles."

The men lapsed into silence for a time before Nor stood. "I'll see if I can't stir the fires a bit, get someone jumping."

"Yes, do that. And be ready. I might need your personal expertise."

"I'm sure," Nor remarked before leaving the room.

Ti seethed in anger. Lord Nor had become more trouble than he was worth. The incident with that Earthling proved that. Ti had thought it perfect to strap Nor with that troublesome wench, never once imagining that Nor would not be able to handle her. Of course, that insufferable Council hadn't backed the law the way they should have. If they had, Nor would have that wench in his bed while Kal-El writhed in agony knowing he couldn't stop it. He'd known there would be risks involved with Kal discovering his favored whore was back on Krypton and that she'd bore him a bastard. But so far, keeping the child tucked away from the Palace, knowing the torture Kal must feel, was almost worth the anguish he suffered tending to the urchin.

Almost.

Ti was still laying odds that Zara would soon make Kal's life a living hell for showing favor to his lover as well.

"Yes, maybe all is not lost as I'd first thought." Ti smiled and swiveled his chair to look out the window. Thunder rolled across the hills and lightning cut through the blackening clouds. The day might turn out beautiful yet.

++++
Krypton: in the third cycle of the year 2133 (or March 1992)
++++

It had only been forty-eight hours since Lois had finally given Kal what his heart desired, but another cycle had evolved. For almost four months he'd lived under the same roof as Lois Lane. He stood next to her, sat across from her, and even held her. His affections for her were kept tightly bound behind a wall he'd erected inside his heart to allow him to live through his days, wanting her and knowing he'd never be able to have her. The last two days had been like a new awakening.

He could clearly remember the day change had taken place in his heart following the birth of his daughter. And he'd forever remember the day it had taken place again. The day Lois told him his feelings were reciprocated.

Kal had realized that more than anything, that was what he'd longed for. Not to have Lois, but to have her with him because that was where *she* wanted to be. A woman's opinions, needs, or wishes had never mattered to the males of his race. However, since the morning in his state room, every woman's thoughts mattered to Kal.

The very next day he'd been summoned to the parlor where Lady Zara awaited him. She was smiling and playing with Patia. An apology was offered up for her behavior along with a committment to communicate with him on more civil terms. She even asked if he *and* Lois would share noon meal with them. And they had. All four of them had eaten in the garden and for the brief period, Kal had seen Lois smile. She later told him that she liked Zara and thought the other woman could become a friend.

The First Lord found himself in Zara's company again the next day, communicating in a way they never had before. They'd discussed their daughter in length-- their wishes for her future, her health, her education. They'd spoke briefly of Ching. Zara expressed her sympathy to Kal over the passing of his brother and remarked that she would visit with Lana soon. Kal had informed her that following Ching's death, Lana returned to her father's house to mourn and had since been betrothed to another. He'd thought it odd at the time that Zara almost looked panicked with that news.

He and Zara had also spoken of Lois and Jordan. She'd told him that he should listen to his heart, find a way for them to be together. That had surprised him to say the least. Later, he'd related this to Lois and was stunned again when she told him about the conversation she and Zara had in the corridor.

The change in the First Lady was remarkable. She had never been so open, so honest. Kal found himself liking this new person.

And the change in him was starting to cause whispers. He'd set Council on their ears just that morning when he announced that over the next several months, he'd be submitting reform for several laws. His first priority would be to dissolve the law requiring birth marriages in the noble class. Since Council had adjourned, others had avoided him like the plague. Kryptonians hated change, feared what it would mean to their way of life. But Kal had told them that change should be embraced, shaped into something productive and wonderful.

One change he intended to make immediately was to fill his house with laughter. He was on his way to meet with a man Chan had discovered in El. This man had told the Royal guard that he had information that would forever change the Kryptonian way of life.

As the transport pulled to a stop outside a warehouse, Kal drew a deep breath and exited. Chan led him inside, to small room in the back, standing guard just outside. Kal hesitated briefly before he entered. A man rose from the table across the dimly lit room.

"Thank you for coming, Kal-El."

The First Lord was shocked into silence. The man's voice was very familiar.

"It is I, Kal." Ching stepped forward so that his brother could see him.

The older brother took a step back, the surprise of it all threatening to overwhelm him.

"I live. And I haven't contacted you before now because of the information I possess." Ching took another step toward Kal. "It is so good to speak with you, brother."

"How?" Kal stuttered out, still unable to trust his eyes.

"It is a long story. One I will gladly tell if you'll sit. Chan has agreed to watch while we talk."

Kal could only stare. His younger brother had aged a bit in the time he'd been away. Growth covered his face while his hair fell well below his collar. He wore the clothes of a common man and judging by his appearance, he'd worked as one as well. Without a word, but never taking his eyes from Ching, Kal sat and listened to the man's story.

++

Chan had been reluctant to take Kal to Ren. The fury in his Lord's eyes had been frightening. He'd barely stopped the transport before Kal was out of it.

"Where the hell is Ti-El?" Kal demanded from a frantic servant as he entered his uncle's house without seeking permission.

"In his study, Milord," she called behind him because Kal was already opening doors.

Ti-El shot to his feet in utter astonishment as Kal stormed into the room. "Kal-El!"

"That's Lord Kal-El to you," his voice raged as he made it to the desk and reached across to grasp his uncle around the neck.

"What... is the... meaning of... this?" Ti managed to choke out around Kal's death grip.

"You have two seconds to produce my son or I will drop you where you stand. And you know I can do it because you trained me well, uncle." His eyes flashed as he stared the older man down. Ti simply glared back at him, a smug grin spreading out over his lips. "Where is the boy?" Kal demanded of the servant who stood helpless beside the desk.

"In the west wing, Milord."

"By order of the Throne, I place you under arrest for crimes against the state," Kal told Ti as he held out his hand to Chan. A slim device was laid across his palm and he thrust it into the side of Ti's neck. An electric jolt rendered the man unconscious.

"Get a guard here at once," Kal told Chan as he headed out the door.

"Lord Ti!" shouted two of his guards as they rushed into his study.

Kal never slowed his gait as he stuck the electric probe to one. The other held up his hands in defeat and the probe was passed to Chan to subdue him.

His legs couldn't carry him fast enough to the room the servant was leading him to. The doors opened and he stepped in to find his son lying on the bed. Kal's heart thundered in his chest as relief like he'd never known washed over him. He thought at first the boy was asleep, but as he drew near, the child sat up.

"Mommy?"

Kal was rendered speechless for a moment as he made eye contact with his son for the first time. Large brown eyes, the color of Lois', dark hair and an expression he'd seen on his own face many times. Though obviously ill, the child was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. "Yes, Jordan," he rasped. "I'm here to take you to your mommy." He could barely control the trembling in his hands as he reached out to lift the boy. Jordan's head fell over on his shoulder and the Lord was brought to tears as he held his son for the first time.

"A transport has arrived, Milord. A small guard was on patrol just a few clicks from here when I called for help," Chan told him softly. "Come. Take the boy to the Palace. I will handle things here."

"Thank you, Chan."

"My pleasure, Milord." The man bowed. "And, Milord, congratulations."

Kal's hand cupped the small head lying so close to his. "When this whole mess is resolved, Chan, you and your bride will spend your wedding trip anywhere you'd like."

Again, the guard bowed. Chan had been with Kal since they were both children, and though he'd loathed his Lord growing up, he'd become quite fond of the new man Kal had become. There was something to be said for affection after all.

+++

The Palace was alive with activity by the time Kal's transport came to a halt. He'd called ahead and had Lois installed in a room in the infirmary so she could reunite with her son in private. He'd also had Dr. Lane summoned. Jordan had slept the entire way back, and his color was off, he seemed quite thin, and there was bruising on his arms and legs. It was obvious that he was sick.

Kal cradled the child and hurried through the throng of people, including Trey.

"You've found him!"

"Yes. Prepare Council for an emergency meeting. Ti-El has been arrested." Kal never slowed his journey toward the infirmary as he spoke. "One hour, Trey," he clipped out, then slipped inside a room indicated by one of the attendants.

Lois whirled around when the door to the room opened. "Jordan!" she breathed and dashed toward Kal.

Kal immediately placed the boy in her arms. She held him to her breast and cried softly.

"He's ill, Lois. Let's have your father look at him." He gently guided her toward the bed, and waved for Sam to come over. The older man had stood motionless, silent tears staining his cheeks as he watched his daughter reunited with his grandson.

"Thank you, Milord," he said softly as he reached out to help lay Jordan on the bed.

"Not yet," Lois protested as her father and Kal tried to help place him on the mattress so he could be examined.

"Please let your father look at him. He's here now, safe, with you. Never again will anyone take him away." Kal cupped her check, getting her full attention. "You can hold him until he's ten if you'll do this now."

Large tears spilled from her eyes, but she reluctantly placed Jordan on the bed. She kept a hand on him at all times while her father examined him.

"He's been sedated. I'll draw blood to see if I can identify the drug, so that it can be counteracted."

"The bruises? Do you think there's broken bones?"

"I will have him scanned at once, but I'm almost willing to bet these are from an overdose of the medication he was given. He's extremely malnourished as well. We'll start an IV at once." Sam reached out to cover Lois' hand with his own. "A little time under the healing lamps and he'll be just fine, Lois."

"Thank you, Daddy."

He smiled and squeezed her hand before moving away to gather the things he needed to take care of his grandson.

Kal's hands smoothed over Lois' upper arms from where he stood behind her, watching Jordan sleep. "He was awake when I found him. He asked for his mommy."

She turned and threw her arms around Kal's neck. "Not once, but twice you've given me a priceless gift," she whispered in his ear.

His arms tightened around her, drawing strength and offering comfort.

Lois pulled back, held Kal's face in her hands, then gently kissed his lips. "Thank you, My Lord."

"Thank you," he told her with a smile.

She glanced down at Jordan, then smiled back up at Kal. The first one that had reached her eyes since she'd been at the Palace. "Ti?" she asked him after a moment.

"Yes."

"Is he alive?"

Her tone and expression was serious, but Kal smiled. "Yes. On his way to face charges for numerous crimes against the state." Just then Dr. Lane and an attendant reentered the room. "Later, I have so much to tell you," he said softly.

She nodded and turned so that they could watch as their son was cared for.