++++
Earth: same time
++++

Gentle hands tucked the cover around the bruised and battered body before her. She used a clean, wet cloth to wash him down once more before making her way back to the kitchen.

"How is he?" her husband asked.

"About the same as before."

"We can't keep him here, Martha. Someone has to be looking for him."

Martha looked back up the stairs with a sad expression. "I just can't shake the feeling that if we contact the Kryptonian Embassy now, he won't make it home alive."

"And you think he'll live here? We don't know how to care for an injured alien."

"Bite your tongue, Jonathan. He's just a man. And he needs our help. I won't deny him that."

The man rose and wrapped his arm around his wife. "Okay, honey. We'll nurse him as best we can. When, and if, he gets better, it'll be up to him to decide who to contact and when."

"When, Jonathan, when he gets better. You'll see. A little TLC, fresh bandages, and a bit of sunshine and he'll be good as new."

"He's not a plant," the man laughed softly.

"I know. But since when did sunshine hurt anybody?"

"You got me there." He hugged his wife, then started for the door. "I've got chores to do. Yell if you need anything."

"I will." Martha glanced up the stairs once more before heading toward the sink. The dishes needed washing and fretting over a hurt Kryptonian man wouldn't change that.

++++
Krypton: still in the twelfth cycle of the year 2132 (December 1991)
++++

Lois stormed down the corridor toward the state side of the Palace. She hadn't been in that section very much when she'd been here before, so she was unfamiliar with the layout. She stopped a guard and demanded to know where to find the First Lord. The guard seemed to be amused, but pointed her in the direction of the Council chambers.

Nearly a week ago, she and Kal had sat shoulder to shoulder in his state room and discussed where Nor might have taken their son. The massive database inside the Kryptonian library was used to call up everything known about the Lord of Carn.

Born out of the House of Zon and into the House of Carn, Nor was the only son of Lord Mar. He grew up in a house filled with daughters-- eight to be exact. Three were the children of his father's concubines. The only son, Nor was doted upon, lavished with gifts. He was also instilled with less than upstanding morals. He adhered to duty, but chose to squander his fortune instead of preparing himself to lead his house when his father passed.

Unfortunately, Mar had lived life to the fullest. He'd enjoyed the riches of Kryptonian society while his advisors ran his province. Nor inherited his lifestyle from his father and when Mar died a premature death, Carn was handed over to a spoiled brat. Though it had long been suspected that Nor did not take care of the subjects under his rule as he should, there had never been protests otherwise. Carn thrived and Nor was left alone.

Search after search revealed nothing out of the ordinary. Each and every possible lead was followed up by Royal guards and so far, nothing. Not the first trace of a child had been found anywhere remotely associated with Nor.

Nor, himself, had been at his home each and every time he was called upon. Kal had been ordered by Council not to contact Nor personally, but the First Lord had sent guard after guard to question Nor. Each time, frustration mounted because Nor insisted on telling the same exact story.

Lois wished she could get out and search for herself. She knew she wouldn't find any more than the guards had, though it would certainly help with the feelings of uselessness that overwhelmed her. But she had been forced to remain at the Palace because her situation was, quote, 'undecided'.

Activity over Lord Ching's death had finally died down, and she had waited for two days for Council to assemble. She'd been unable to speak with Kal because he'd been called away on state business. Then, of all the things to possibly happen, a servant had delivered her a scroll, demanding her presence in the House of Carn at once.

That's why a guard practically ran to keep up with her. He'd been sent by Nor to 'retrieve her'. She clutched the scroll in her hand tighter as she continued her quest.

Outside the chamber doors, another guard halted her progress.

“I’m sorry, ma’am. You cannot go inside,” he told her.

“Just watch me!” She shoved the man to the side and entered the room.

Trey jumped to his feet when Lois entered the room. “What is the meaning of this?” Everyone in the room had been stunned when the doors had swooshed open suddenly.

She ignored him and went straight to the end of the table. “What the hell is this?!” she demanded and tossed the scroll down onto the table in front of Kal.

The men present in the room held their breaths, fully expecting Kal to unleash his wrath on this woman. Though he rarely engaged in loud outbursts, he *did* expect others to respect his position. Because of his no-nonsense way of dealing with things, no one had ever had the audacity to do as this woman did now. He would surely have her properly punished, no matter who she was.

Kal slowly opened the scroll and read the contents. His expression hardened and he shot to his feet. "What the hell is this?" he repeated Lois' question and threw the rolled document at Trey.

To say the assembled Council was shocked was an understatement. They couldn’t believe the First Lord had let this woman talk to him in this manner… and an Earth woman at that. Then to hear the First Lord himself repeat her words... They could only stare in disbelief.

Trey glanced at the scrolls before lifting his eyes to Kal's. "Council decided that Nor's rights were being violated by Miss Lane's continued presence in the Palace."

"Council decided? Since when does Council decide anything without my approval?" Kal demanded.

"When the matter does not concern you, it is not imperative that you are informed of decisions." Trey's voice was strong as he stood to his feet to face off with his first Lord. "And if *you* break the law, you answer to me!"

"How about when Council breaks the law?" Kal had squared his shoulders and a mask of unidentifiable expression had smoothed his features. This was someone Lois did not recognize at all.

"What laws have Council broken?"

"Those governing Miss Lane's right to speak on her behalf."

"Milord, the physician states that Miss Lane is not a very stable person..."

"And that's reason enough to discount scientific evidence? Trey, the physician himself confirmed that she has given birth, that she is very fertile even now. Her own father has spoken of her son's birth."

"Beg pardon, Milord," Jen-Mai spoke up. "But a father cannot be impartial."

"And," Trey's voice softened just a tad. "There has been no child found. We have no legal right to keep Nor's property from him."

Kal stood silently, his hands on his hips as his gaze bore into his Council chief.

"The law is crystal clear, Milord," Trey continued.

"And my son?"

"Come on, Kal-El," Jen-Mai drawled out. "We know you were fond of this woman, but wishful thinking won't give her back to you."

"Watch your tongue, Jen-Mai!" Kal threatened, pointing a finger at the other Lord.

"Kal-El!"

Kal's head snapped up when his uncle called his name. Ti had entered the Council chambers and was standing just inside the door. "Listen to yourself. You're defending a woman who can offer you absolutely no proof that your *son* even exists. Just because she gave birth to *a* son, doesn't make him yours. Her father will of course speak well of her. But without proof of that child, Council has no choice but to follow the law. Trey is right. You are not involved in this as long as that child is not here."

The First Lord's chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm, clearly indicating his fury. Lois watched as he tried to grasp at something, anything that could help her in this situation. Her own fear and anger mirrored his as they remained motionless. What was she going to do? She'd lost her son and it looked as if she'd soon lose her dignity as well. It may as well be her life.

After a few tense moments, she turned and ran from the room.

++

Kal was livid. How did he stop this from happening? His mind raced through various laws he'd studied. There had to be something that could stop this.

"Trey, as First Lord I demand that Council allow Miss Lane to defend her position," Kal ground out through gritted teeth.

"It will only delay the inevitable, Kal," Trey told him.

"It is the law!" Kal reminded him.

Trey heaved a deep breath and sank to his chair.

"Council has ruled, Trey," Jen-Mai whined.

"But if Council failed to recognize Miss Lane's rights, the decision is illegal," Trey relented as he rubbed his brows.

Jen-Mai cast a furious glance at Kal, but chose wisely to remain silent.

"Tomorrow. Council will assemble at the morning hour. She will be allowed to speak then," Trey finally said.

Kal wanted to shout. He had twenty four hours to figure out how to keep Lois from becoming Nor's plaything. "Inform Nor of the decision," he told the guard that had followed Lois into the room. "His presence is required."

The guard bowed and left.

Kal dismissed Council, completely ignoring his uncle on the way past him and out of the room. If he was going to help Lois, there wasn't a second to waste.

++

Kal watched the flowing water cascade down the stone statue of the fountain that sat in the middle of the west garden as his heart raged against his entire way of life. Why had he been born to a race of people that insisted on so many rules? To be carefree, able to make your own decisions, would be extremely liberating. Was that why the servants seemed so happy? Other than their duties, all other choices were theirs to make.

The entire day had been spent combing Kryptonian law after frustrating law in search of something, anything that would enable him to stop Council from sending Lois to Lord Nor. The information he and Lois had uncovered about Nor was enough to convince Kal that no one should be forced to submit to that man. With those thoughts, he'd begun to think that maybe submission was something that should be done willingly, not forced upon people by others who believe themselves superior. Those who used law to convince themselves that it was right. Slowly, Kal-El was coming to the realization that maybe there was another way, a way other than what his ancestors had established.

Who was he kidding? His desire to keep Lois from being sent to Nor wasn't entirely unselfish. The thought of another man being with that woman sent chills down his spine. He'd admitted that he did indeed *feel* something for Lois Lane. He'd also been resigned to the fact that those feelings would never mature beyond what they'd already shared. It was difficult for him to wrap his mind around the emotions that simmered within him. His education, his years of training, his very existence made it almost impossible to believe what he actually felt. It went against everything he'd ever known. Yet, try as he might, he couldn't stop himself from descending into that ravine.

+++

Lois had stopped three servants asking for Lord Kal. She was finally directed to the garden where she found him sitting on a bench near the fountain.

"Milord?"

Kal looked up, an expression akin to relief washing over his face. "Miss Lane. Where have you been?"

"In the library."

"I looked..."

"In El," she continued before he could finish. "Zin told me that Council decided I could talk and well, I needed something to say. And since I've studied the archives here at the Palace. Some anyway. I thought maybe the library in El would be more extensive and..." She finally stopped when she noticed his smile. "What? I never signed anything to be anybody's damn concubine and I won't go without a fight!"

"It's nice to see that some things never change."

"What?"

"You and babbling."

She actually blushed slightly, turning to keep him from noticing. "I do not babble."

"Yes, you do," Kal told her as he slid over to make room for her on the bench. "Please. Sit."

She eyed the bench a second, then quickly sat. "Anyway, I think I've found something. Not a fix, but it might buy us a little time to find Jordan."

"I hope it's better than what I've found," Kal remarked, a note of agitation in his voice.

Lois paused. Kal had been trying to find something to help her? Why?

She looked away, watching the water in the fountain spill into the small pool. She wasn't stupid; she knew why. Kal still had feelings for her. The look in his eyes, the one he tried to cover just as quickly as it flashed behind his brown orbs... It was one she'd seen before. The one she was certain she'd mirrored the night they'd spent on the transport.

There just wasn't time for that now. The only thing that mattered was getting herself out of this mess so she and Kal could find Jordan.

"It took me all day, but I finally found it," she said. "Deep, deep in ancient laws, a small clause that states that a woman who has been married is expected to grieve for six months."

Kal's head snapped up. "Of course. Why hadn't I thought of that? The fact that you were married wasn't even considered."

"I didn't find anything that states this law has been removed or altered in any way."

"I'll have the necessary scroll when Council assembles tomorrow morning."

Lois nodded enthusiastically. "So, that gives us about three months to find Jordan."

"And we will," Kal told her.

"I hope so," she managed around tears that sprang to her eyes, refusing to stay hidden another second. All day she'd fought the urge to break down and cry. But with a slight sense of relief now, it was impossible to stop her emotions from overflowing.

++

Assailed by tons of emotions at once when he heard the catch in Lois' voice, Kal refused to look at her. She was crying and he didn't know if he could stop himself from reaching out to hold her.

"We'll find him," he repeated, trying as much to convince himself as he tried convincing her. Truth was with each day that passed, he grew fearful that Nor had crossed the line and simply...

No! He couldn't think like that. Why would Nor kill his son? Surely the boy was worth more to him alive. Then again, why the hell was Nor keeping him spirited away in the first place? What was the purpose of having the boy? Was the man just goading him? Proving that he could do something to hurt the First Lord? Was it about power?

The silence seemed to engulf them. Kal allowed his guard to drop just a bit, and he found himself assailed by his emotions once again. His life as he knew it was over. He'd never again be able to live without pain. No matter what, Lois would be connected to him now and knowing he couldn't have her the way he wanted would haunt his every waking second.

Realizing that he needed to focus on finding his son, he turned to Lois. "Would you allow me to represent you during the session tomorrow morning?"

"What?" She wiped a stubborn tear from her cheek as she stared up at him. "You can do that?"

"Yes. And I think your interests will be best served by me." What? What was he saying? How could he best serve her interests? Especially when she was the one causing him such unbearable pain.

That and the fact that your son is missing, he shouted mentally. Think of Jordan!

"However, I do think all information should be spread out before us."

"I for one like having all the facts," she told him, pulled herself up, adopting a more serious air. "What did you find?"

Kal shifted so that he was looking toward the fountain. "As First Lord, even my hands are tied because Nor has legal papers. I could move that the law be changed, but that takes time. And I'd have to convince Council to agree by citing the reasons why. They'd only see it as me being fond of you."

"Yeah. I get that."

"Using the mourning clause gives us three months. If we haven't found Jordan by that time..."

"I know," she said knowingly.

Kal dropped his head back, searching the evening sky for inspiration. How did he tell a woman who was fighting *not* to become someone's concubine the only other way to stop it was to do just that?

"Just spit it out," she told him anxiously.

"If, if you were..." He sighed heavily and stood to pace toward the fountain. "Because you and Nor have not consummated the agreement, another... consummation would place you in a position to be released."

"What?"

"If you..." He waved his hand, unable to believe that he was having such a difficult time speaking. He'd never had trouble before. "Go to another's bed, with full knowledge of the binding contract, you're breaking the law. Nor would essentially be disgraced and most likely release you."

"Most likely? And if he doesn't care?"

"The one you've... the other Lord could assert his authority and take the decision away from Nor."

Lois' brows furrowed for a moment before dawning seemed to come. "It has to be someone who... is more important than Nor?"

"Yes." Kal took a deep breath and faced her. "I'm willing to testify that we've... well, I'm willing to say... that and lay claim. If it comes to that."

Her eyes widened and she simply sat in silence, staring at Kal. "Do you realize what you've said?" she asked after a moment.

"Yes," he told her simply, his eyes conveying the very depths of his feelings for her.

She sighed heavily and stood, walking up beside him at the fountain. "I guess it's better to be your concubine than..."

"Miss Lane..."

"No, Lord Kal. It's true. You might be lord of all, but you can't change what I'll be!" She faced him with fire in her eyes.

He reluctantly admitted she was right. He might long for more, but Lois could only ever be his concubine. Kal stared down at the ground for a long moment. "I regret that life has dealt you such a horrendous blow, but this is the best I can do. You'll live in my house, just like before. You'll be taken care of because you are Jordan's mother, not because I've taken you as my concubine. You won't..."

"Then what will I be, Milord? Just your whore?" she threw at him before he could finish his sentence.

Kal had to blink from both surprise and hurt. She'd stung him with that. His head dropped and he stared at his hands in silence. When he spoke, his voice was tight and controlled, filled with pain. "Have I ever mistreated you, Miss Lane?" He lifted his eyes to hers. "Were you my whore the night we made Jordan?"