Lois sat in chair in her room. She'd awaken earlier, demanding to see her son. It was several moments before realization set in and she remembered the past few days. She was told that she was at the Palace on order of the First Lord and that he would be in to speak with her later. She both dreaded and eagerly awaited his arrival.

From the reports that flooded Earth from Krypton, Lord Kal-El was still a man to be reckoned with. He made decision after decision that proved all too well that he was a stern leader. He'd given the order to surround a group of rebels during a conflict on Krypton, effectively cutting off their link to the outside world. Lois had wondered why he hadn't just given the order to wipe them out completely, but had still appreciated his very affective method of ending the uprising. It proved great intelligence and forethought. And it proved he would not hesitate to perform his duty.

What did that mean where she was concerned?

Back at Nor's, she'd seen hesitation in his eyes when she'd told him that she'd been held prisoner and that Nor had their son. He doubted her.

And rightly so, she admitted reluctantly. She and Kal-El didn't even know one another. They never had really known each other. They'd shared one night, one night of unbridled, forbidden passion. That's all it had been.

Or at least that's what she'd spent the last few years trying to convince herself. It was much easier to believe that she hadn't felt anything for Kal than to think about never being able share those feelings. It made the missing him less painful when she repeated over and over to herself that she hadn't felt a thing for the Lord. Never mind the emotions she felt the first time her baby moved within her body, or the day she held Jordan for the first time. Nothing. She felt nothing for Kal-El. Even as she looked into a set of identical brown eyes every time she looked at her son.

Her son's safety and well-being, that's all that mattered now. Yes, she'd have to convince Kal that Jordan did exist if there was any hope to ever find him again. Nor was evil personified and there was no telling what he'd done by now.

She refused to believe that Nor would have killed Jordan. What could he gain by doing that? No, alive the boy was worth much, much more. He was the First Lord's son, after all. Besides, if she allowed herself to think like that, there was absolutely no way she'd be able to find him.

Her head snapped up when the doors to her room slipped open. A huge breath for courage, and she rose to face the man she'd hoped desperately to never see again... And secretly longed to.

++

Kal watched as Lois stood. The relief he felt to see her awake surprised him. It also scared the hell out of him.

"Are you well?" he asked softly.

"I will be when I find my son," she answered him firmly.

He waved a hand toward the chair. "Would you like to sit? I'm sure you're still a bit shaky."

"Cut the crap and tell me if you're gonna help me look for my son."

"And my son?" he asked, his glare insisting she answer that question first.

Lois turned from him, taking a few steps away from the chair.

"Look at me!" he demanded.

She twirled back around to face him. "I'm not one of your servants! I will not bow to your vanity driven ego!"

"You should at least be able to look me in the eyes when you tell me if I have fathered a son!"

"If? You don't believe me, do you?"

"You've made it so easy to do that."

Lois clamped her mouth shut, unable to reply.

"Tell me why. Why should I believe you? If what you say is true, then you've kept the existence of my son from me. Did you not think I had the right to know?"

"The same way you have the right to demand that others do things against their will?" she challenged as she took a defiant stance.

How did he respond to that? Isn't that why he'd never *demanded* that Lois should come to him? Yes, his entire life was about demanding that others do things against their will. He sighed and sank to the chair Lois left abandoned. "Just tell me." He lifted his eyes to plead with hers.

"He does exist," she replied. "And he's out there somewhere. We have to find him." She turned again when a sob escaped her lips.

That got Kal's complete attention. Seeing her so upset was enough to convince Kal that what she said was true. There was a child, a son... *his* son. He shoved a frustrated hand through his hair. "Council doesn't believe you were forced to sign a pact with Nor."

"Big surprise there," Lois gasped and wiped away her tears.

"The only reason they haven't totally discounted you is because I have fathered your child."

She faced him then. "What?"

"They're not totally convinced though. They want more information."

"And how do I prove that he exists? You saw yourself that Nor took all my things away."

"We start with an examination, to prove you've had a child."

"If it'll help find my son, then please. Do it!"

Kal simply nodded. "I thought that maybe your father could be contacted as well."

"Yes! Why didn't I think of that? Call Daddy. He'll tell them I'm not crazy!" Lois' expression held a bit of hope for the first time since she'd waken.

There was a long silence before Kal mustered the nerve to broach it. There were things that needed to be said, and questions he wanted so desperately answered.

"It won't be as easy as that."

"What?" Lois asked him.

"Council has already ruled that Nor's papers are legal. Your signature constitutes its legality."

"But I was forced to sign!"

"Without proof..." Kal got to his feet in an effort to calm the rising tension in his belly.

"Wouldn't proving I really have a son...?"

"That will make a difference, yes, but..." He stepped around her and stopped to look out the window. "I have to be honest with you. Your signature on that paper is incredibly binding. I don't know what's going to happen. There's never been an instance like this before. Council is hesitant to discount a noble."

"And because I'm just a concubine, I'll be the one on the receiving end of the wrath."

Another silence followed that statement. Kal was unable to argue with her. She *was* in a difficult position. "Why don't you tell me what happened from the beginning?" Kal asked her. Maybe if he knew all the details, he would be able to help her.

Or least decide what he believed.

"There was a rally on Labor Day. Many organizations, both Kryptonian and Earthling, have been working together to improve relations. My, ah, my... husband..." She hesitated on the word, without looking at Kal. "was a member of a special forces division of the Metropolis Police Department. He was in charge of security at the rally. Kryptonian forces stormed the demonstration and things got out of hand." Lois finally sank to the chair again. Her expression was distant, eyes glued to a spot on the floor. "A lot of people died that day," she almost whispered.

Kal was stunned. He'd heard nothing of this incident. He'd known about the organizations she mentioned, had approved the formation of several. Though he hadn't followed their progress very closely, he had been informed on more than one occasion by Lord Sar of different events the groups held. If the population worked in cooperation with the Throne toward peace, it helped make his life a bit easier.

He focused on the rest of what Lois had said. A lot of people had died that day, and by the way she was acting...

"Your husband?" he asked hesitantly.

"Lost too much blood." She looked up at Kal with a determined expression. "He died trying to help reestablish freedom for his world."

"I was unaware that he'd died."

"But you did know I was married?" she challenged.

"Yes. My uncle made sure to impart that bit of information over a year ago."

"And he forgot to inform you of your son's existence?" she asked in a biting tone.

Kal allowed her question to inflame his frustration yet again. "If I'd known..." He allowed the rest of his sentence to remain unsaid. What could he say? That he would have *demanded* she return with his son to Krypton? That's the last thing she wanted to hear right now. "I didn't know," he told her more softly.

Lois bit her lip and nodded.

"What happened after the rally?"

"I buried my husband, others buried their loved ones. An attempt was made to contact Lord Sar, but even more died."

"That attack was not ordered by the Throne," he pointed out. "And I intend to find out why it took place at all."

"I don't think anyone ever believed that it was ordered by the Throne." She looked down at her hands. "Only two weeks later, Nor and his guards burst into my home in the middle of the night and snatched me and my son from our beds. I was not given a reason, just told to keep my mouth shut and do as I was told or they'd hurt my boy."

"Did they?"

"No. We were pretty much left alone on the trip back."

"Were you aboard one of the larger ships?"

"Yeah. I guess it was easier for Nor to blend in."

It was Kal's turn to nod. Was this all true? Was Nor responsible for Lois and her son being brought to Krypton? And how had he kept it hidden? What had he done with the child?

So many questions.

"I should have said something," he heard Lois say.

"You were afraid for your son's life," Kal said.

"No. I should have said something the day you left me on Earth."

"Did you know then? That you'd conceived?" He held his breath. Had she cared so little that she'd kept it from him? Had she stood before him, knowing she'd bring forth his son into the world, and said nothing?

When she failed to answer, the tiny spark that had been stoked inside his heart flickered and went out. His impenetrable wall went up again. "Your husband's death places you in an extremely more difficult position."

Lois looked up at him, a thousand questions written on her face.

"If he was still alive, Nor could not have laid claim to you without yours and *his* consent. He would have had to 'release' you to Nor. While Kryptonian law doesn't allow divorcement among nobility, a nobleman can take a concubine of lesser class, even if she's married and provided her husband releases her. Because your husband is dead, only your consent was needed. That makes Nor's documents even more binding."

"What does it matter if my son isn't found?" she breathed then sank back into the chair.

What did he say to that? His aching heart wouldn't allow him to completely trust Lois. His Kryptonian education insisted on pointing out that her name was signed to papers that bound her to Nor. Those papers were very legal and binding. Not to mention the absence of a son she claimed existed.

Lois stared at her hands for a what seemed like hours before she cleared her throat. "What happens if I can prove my son does exist?"

"He will be found."

"And then?"

"Council will make you prove beyond question that Jordan is my son."

"Is it Council that demands to know? Or you?"

Kal didn't answer, just looked away. He'd by lying if he told her that he didn't want to know. Truth was he'd give anything for solid proof right about now, one way or the other. It would certainly ease his mind.

"What happens after he's proven to be your son?"

"His place will be established inside the House of El..."

"I know that much. I'm talking about with Nor. Will I be forced to go with him? I know I would be if I can't prove what I say is true."

"I don't know. Nor's papers are legal..."

"And binding. Yeah, yeah."

Before anything else could be said, Trey entered the room.

"Milord, urgent communications from Earth. Lord Ching was in a transport that has gone missing. It is believed that there's been some sort of accident."

Kal reluctantly tore his gaze from Lois, and upon hearing what the older lord had to say, he stepped toward his chief elder. "What?"

Trey held out a copy of the transcript they had just received. "Lord Sar contacted us as soon as possible after the accident. He states that Lord Ching's vessel disappeared during the scheduled tour of America. A search was launched at once, but, Milord, it's taken more than two months to find anything. Wreckage was located late last week that's believed to be the Lord's vehicle. Apparently, mechanical problems caused the transport to explode somewhere in a place called Kansas."

Kal read over the transcript for several moments before facing Lois. She'd eased up in the chair and a look of concern was etched across her face. "I must go."

"Of course."

He held her gaze for a moment, then followed Trey from the room. This was definitely not something he needed right now.

++

It was two days later before Lois saw Kal again. Life inside the Palace had ground to a halt with the news that Lord Ching might have been involved in an accident. Non-stop communications with Earth finally produced news that no one wanted to hear. She'd heard just that morning that Lord Ching had been pronounced dead.

Since then the Palace had become a hub of activity. She was told by Zin that a Kryptonian Lord had not died in the line of duty in over two hundred years. Though most Lords were trained for battle, none had actually ever been on the front lines. Even during the war on Earth, Lords were strategists, not fighters, kept well away from the fighting. For one to die during a time of peace was unthinkable.

Her thoughts had automatically drifted to Kal-El. She was told that he had been unusually quiet. No doubt having a hard time dealing with how he felt. Did his egotistical nature take a blow with the news of his brother's death? Part of her wanted nothing more than to rejoice if it had. Maybe this would force him to realize how much of his population lived. While he was tucked away inside the Royal Palace, his needs being attended to by countless servants, *his* orders being obeyed without question, his own people suffered. Countless others who drew the same breath as he had lost brothers, sisters, children... husbands because a planet advanced enough to stumble across a tiny world a galaxy away had also chosen to forcibly take it over.

There was also part of her that knew exactly what kind of pain that kind of loss could bring. Did Kal feel anything remotely similar? His was a race of people that had bred stoic character. Over the decades they had evolved into unemotional, expedient individuals who rarely displayed any form of expression other than distaste. Yes, she had glimpsed a side to Kal that she was sure he was unaware of, which lay buried beneath the many layers of tradition and education. Was that man in pain now?

Why did she care?

Jordan! That's the only thing that matters now, she kept repeating to herself. It had been excruciating having to spend the last couple of days tucked away inside a bed chamber, unable to look for her son. When she'd recovered enough to satisfy the physician, she was transferred to a chamber. One, she'd noted, that was no where near the private section of the Palace. Other than Zin, no one had bothered her. She hadn't been detained when she'd ventured from her room, but she did find that many doors were locked to her.

She knew because she'd tried many of them. True sorrow filled her heart for the loss of Lord Ching, but her son was gone without a trace and if no one was going to believe her and help look for him, she'd been determined to do what she could alone. It had been difficult for her to admit defeat and try to wait on Kal. When he failed to come earlier, she grew restless and left her room again.

Deciding to make her way into the garden shortly after the evening meal to watch the sunset, she was surprised to see Kal sitting on a bench down by the small lake on the back lawn. He'd shed his tunic and was leaning forward, elbows resting on his knees. His hair looked as if his hand had been shoved through it more than a few times, and he hadn't shaved, probably not since she'd last seen him. His whole appearance screamed defeat, and she'd swear he'd been crying.

She glanced away, unwilling to allow herself to feel anything for this man. His brother was dead, and she hated that. But dammit! Her son, their son, her conscience pointed out, was missing. Didn't he care at all about that?

++

Kal felt as if his heart would burst. The last two days had been horrendous. He'd been in communications with Earth almost constantly since hearing of Ching's accident. The crews on Earth had searched the remains of the transport in vain. Nothing was left but charred metal and unidentifiable body parts. There was no choice but to declare his brother dead.

Kal had never known the loss of one close to him before. His parents' death had occurred when he was still very young and hadn't affected him very much. But to lose his brother felt... almost as painful as losing Lois.

That realization had startled him beyond belief. Did that woman really mean more to him than his own brother?

Like any other Kryptonian, Kal and Ching both had been raised to be logical thinking individuals. They'd been educated to make decisions without feeling or remorse, to do what was expedient. In short, they'd never learned to *feel*. Yes, they respected one another, thought well of the other. But they'd never been taught to feel affection for anyone. Emotion should be an inherent trait, though for an advanced race of people, it didn't even exist.

His feelings for Lois did. They were there, as strong as they'd ever been. He realized that when he'd learned that she had indeed given birth to a son three and half years ago. The physician had confirmed that she'd given birth a few years prior only moments before he'd received a direct communication from her father. Sam Lane's transcript informed the First Lord that his son had been born in the sixth cycle of the year 2129. Upon hearing the news, Kal's mind had transported him back to that night on the transport when he'd lost his heart to an Earth woman.

He could admit that now. Admit that she held great power over him. And yes, when he thought about Lois and Ching, there was no comparison. She did mean more to the older brother. Yet, Kal had also realized that he *did* have feelings for his baby brother. Ching's death had left a gaping hole he was unsure how he'd ever fill.

"Milord?"

Kal's head snapped up and his weary eyes met those of the woman in his thoughts. Unable to speak, he simply dropped his head again in defeat.

++

Her breath caught in her chest when she saw the absolutely haunted look in his eyes. Lord Kal-El had never looked so small. 'Jordan, Jordan, Jordan', she chanted mentally, the mantra she'd adopted to hide behind so that she didn't have to deal with feelings that refused to stay buried.

Without a word, she eased down beside him on the bench. If nothing else, she'd offer him comfort in the form of her presence. She needed him to help her find her son, and if this was a way to make that happen, then so be it.

++

He wanted to turn to her, ask if he could hold her when she sat next to him. He was so lost, more lost than he'd ever been, and finding it almost impossible to deal with.

"A ceremony is planned for the end of the week," he said just to break the silence. He had to speak or he was afraid he'd do something he'd regret.

"For Ching?"

"Yes." The silence stretched out between them again, foreboding, dangerous. "I have spoken with your father," Kal finally managed.

"Then you believe me now?"

"Yes." What else did he say? "If there was some way to make this right..."

"Yeah, right," she snapped. "You expect me to believe you'd give up your son?"

"I don't expect anything," he told her in a pain filled tone. "I can't lie and say that I am not pleased to learn of his existence. I wish you'd told me sooner."

"Would it have made a difference? I'd be here either way."

Kal sighed heavily. "Unfortunately, yes. But maybe we could have been..." He let the rest of his sentence die when he saw the expression on Lois' face. How could he expect a woman forced to do things against her will to want to be anything but an enemy?

He looked down at his hands for several moments, giving both Lois and himself ample time to grasp some form of control of their feelings. Finally he lifted his eyes back to look her. She appeared so lost, alone. He wanted to reach out to her, assure her that everything would be okay. But how could he?

She surprised him when she spoke. "Look, I know the laws. I know that my son has to be raised here. But we have to find him first. I'm sorry about your brother. I hate this all happened at the same time. I also have to be honest and tell you that nothing, *nothing* else matters to me right now but finding my son. And unless someone does something very damn soon, I will not be held responsible for anything I might do!" Her chest heaved as she stared at him pointedly, as if daring him to say otherwise.

Ah, how much he'd missed this woman! That fire was truly something to behold. "I would expect no less from you," Kal told her as a slight smile played at the corners of his mouth.

"Then get off your *** and help me find your son... *our* son!"

Kal's smile faded and he leaned back against the bench. "Lois... Miss Lane," he corrected himself. If he was going to keep his emotions in check where this woman was concerned, he would have to address her formally. Speaking her name reminded him too much of their time on the transport. "I want nothing more than to find him. In fact, I have people looking for him as we speak."

Lois blinked in surprise.

"What's wrong? Didn't expect me to say that?" he asked when he saw her avert her gaze.

"Truthfully, no. I've been shut up in that room with no word..."

"And I've been torn in two. It's been excruciating to know that my son does exist and that he's out there somewhere, probably scared to death that he's been abandoned." Kal shoved a frustrated hand through his hair. "To not be able to search personally made me feel even more helpless." He pushed up to his feet and walked toward the edge of the water. "Ching's death, the situation with Nor... I've never been so displeased with who I am than right now."

Her brows knitted together as she studied his heaving back. "I don't understand."

"Finding our son..." He turned quickly to look at her. "I don't even know his damn name!"

"It's Jordan."

"Jordan," he repeated to hear it come from his own lips.

"I like to call him Jor."

Surprise flitted across Kal's face. Why did she refer to him as Jor? Was it some kind of ironic stab aimed at him? He'd have to ask her later. Now was just not the time.

He turned back to face the water, the many issues weighing his mind beginning to take their toll. He was tired, more so than he'd ever been. Bending to retrieve a large rock that lay on the ground, he drew back and let it fly. "Council wants to speak with you as soon as Ching is laid to rest."

"I guess we knew that was inevitable."

"Jordan makes a difference. Or he can."

"Before you said you didn't know what would happen."

"I've had two days to study the law," he told her as he went back to drop beside her again. "Because he's my son, I have the option to... return you to my house."

Lois sat silently for a moment before she spoke. "Even though my signature is on Nor's scrolls?"

"That part is a bit tricky. You'd have to... detail Jordan's conception."

"What?"

"Actually, you'd have to detail our relationship, even the... sexual aspect of it." He said the last part without looking at her. "And since we only... did that... once... well..."

"Why?"

"Law states that children should be reared inside a home with a mother and a father present." He chuckled softly at the sour expression on her face. "Yeah, how utterly ironic is that? True though."

"And your... wife wouldn't be expected to mother a concubine's child."

"Ah, no." He stopped and tilted his head. "They'd expect her to lay alone in her bed while her husband shares his with another woman, expect her to live next door to her husband's lover, share her house with that lover's children... but to mother those children..." His words trailed off and for the first time in his life, he saw the flaws in the Kryptonian practice of keeping a concubine. No wonder there was often contempt inside birth marriages. Maybe the noble *man* wasn't the only one that was often dissatisfied. Maybe the noble *woman* was, too.

"But I thought the man held all custodial rights?" Lois asked, bringing him from his thoughts.

"Yes. However, I've found a little lost clause hiding inside parental laws. If I grant you equal custodial rights, Council has to consider allowing you to remain with the child."

"Then why the details of the relationship?"

"To solidify the bond between the mother and father. Believe it or not, ancient law was written with the child's well-being in mind. The elders believed that if children were reared inside a unified house, they would be strong of character... more apt to bond with their own spouses later and create equally strong houses."

"Well, I'll be damned. We're not so different after all," Lois told him with a stunned expression.

"Excuse me?"

"All this time... I've thought our worlds, our people were as light years apart as the planets themselves. Our forefathers did the same thing. Wrote all these wonderful laws and bills and set precedences... Only, over the years this leader and that leader has taken those laws and twisted them to fit their own selfish needs."

"And the next one comes along only to build on what the one before him has already... made worse..." Again, Kal's voice drifted off as his mind settled on what Lois had said. There was something to that. Certainly things had not always been like they were now. With each new leader, things had changed, been manipulated for selfish gain. Had there ever been a time when the people came first? Since he'd begun listening to his subjects, his perception of his world had changed. With the birth of his daughter, ideas began to shift from personal gain to that of a mutual nature. As a father, wasn't it his responsibility to take care of his entire world so that his children inherited a better place?

Later, he'd look into those wayward thoughts. Right now, another person needed his full attention.

"So..." Lois drawled as she stared off across the lake.

Kal had leaned forward again to rest his elbows on his knees, giving her time to process everything he'd told her, and allowing him to gather his courage to continue. He'd found a few other details when searching through ancient parental laws that he felt Lois should know. "You have to know that granting you equal parental rights will probably be enough."

"What?"

"You sharing equal rights means that Jordan will be able to spend as much time with you as he does me. I honestly don't think Nor would want my son visiting you inside his house."

Lois nodded in understanding. "And what would happen then? If Nor what? Releases me?"

"You'd be a free citizen, able to live anywhere of your choosing."

"On Krypton," she added dryly.

Kal glanced up at her with slightly apologetic eyes. "I would help find you a nice home and because you're Jordan's mother, I'd make sure you were taken care of."

"Then I wouldn't exactly be free, would I?"

He should have known she would call him there. "I could make sure you have a position with a decent wage. You'd be able to earn your own money. Would that be more to your liking?"

++

Lois was absolutely stunned. She wanted nothing more than to simply stare at the man before her. This man could not possibly be Lord Kal-El, *the* Lord Kal-El. He was talking about things she never imagined she'd hear from his lips. And if she didn't know better, she'd swear some of their words had actually sunk in. A couple of times he'd looked as if he was giving serious thought to what they were saying.

Who was this man? Physically, he was definitely the man she'd known before. Of course, he was a little *more* man than he was before. His perfectly sculpted physique left little doubt that the man trained daily. He'd added more bulk to his musclar torso, if that was possible.

Her head snapped around, away from... him. She wasn't about to admit that she found Kal attractive in any way at all. That's what got her into trouble before.

Of course, it wasn't his physical attributes that appealed to her. His inner character, his *true* inner character seemed to reach out to her, scream for her to... to...

What? What was she supposed to do for this man? He was the First Lord, for God's sake. What could she possibly do for him?

Slowly she got to her feet and started to walk along the edge of the lake toward a small dock that stretched out into the water. She was alone only briefly before she felt Kal's presence behind her.

Lois leaned on the railing of the dock before speaking. "You're telling me that you will grant me equal custody of Jordan and you don't intend to claim me as your concubine?"

"That's what I'm saying. If Nor releases you once I grant custody, you'll be free to leave the Palace."

"And Jordan? Will he be free to leave with me?"

"Yes," Kal told her without a moment's hesitation. "I think I'd like to get to know Jordan, not make him fear me."

Lois couldn't hide her shock then. She faced Kal, eyes wide and her mouth slightly agape.

"I already have one child that fears me, and it pains me a great deal every time I see her." Kal's shoulders drooped in defeat as he approached the railing. "And she lives with me," he added with a touch of remorse.

Damn you! Lois' mind shouted at her. Damn you for making me feel...

No! she countered. Nothing! I feel nothing for Kal, *Lord* Kal! Nope.

Not a thing!

"I was under the impression that you have a good relationship with your daughter." The words slipped from her lips before she could stop them.

"I do try to spend as much time with her as I can, and we... get along. We just don't *know* each other."

"How well does anyone really know another here?" Lois quipped. These unemotional, logical people wouldn't know how to begin having a *real* relationship if they wanted to.

"Is that true on your world as well?" Kal asked, causing Lois to meet his gaze.

She stared at him for a moment before looking back across the water. "We like to think we know others. And I guess some do, but a lot truly don't."

Kal simply nodded, then turned to stare at the water as well.

"What happens?" Lois asked out of nowhere. "After... if all that happens?"

"You'll work and take care of our son. I hope."

"Oh, you don't have to worry about that," she assured him. "And Nor?"

"Unfortunately, he would go unpunished." Kal looked up at the darkening sky. "Even though Jordan is my son, if I don't declare that you're mine, there's nothing to be done. I released you on Earth. Those scrolls are on record."

"What about Jordan? He won't pay for what he's done to Jordan?" Oh, he would pay all right, she thought. She'd kill him herself if he's hurt her son.

"That might be difficult. Obviously someone working for Nor is helping him. No doubt someone that Nor trusts..."

"Proof... We'll need more than the word of a..." She stopped. There was no way she'd say that word. Well, if they needed proof, somehow, some way, she'd find it. There was no way Nor was getting away with what he'd done.

They stood for several moments, looking at the glowing sun set against gently stirring water. Krypton was actually quite pretty, Lois admitted. Clear, crisp air filled her lungs even as other, more troublesome thoughts entered her mind.

"What happens if... if Nor won't release me?"

"Then you could choose to detail our relationship and ask that Council consider keeping the family unit together."

Choose? She could choose? Did he honestly think she'd just go willingly into Nor's house? Be his...

Not on his life. Not even on the life of their son. Why the hell would any woman knowingly choose a life like that?

Wait! Hadn't he said...?

"Didn't you say that you had the option to return me to your house because Jordan's your son? Why not just wave your all mighty hand and *claim* me?"

"Is that what you'd prefer? That I just take all control completely away from you?"

In that instant, she understood. Kal was detailing the law so that she had all the information. And so that she had a form of control. He *could* claim her, but he wanted the choice to be hers.

Damn you!

It's not fair that you're so... human all of a sudden, she thought.

"Why don't we just see what happens?" she managed around a small lump in her throat.

"We can do that."

She nodded, then turned to start back down the dock. "We need to concentrate on finding our son."

"I agree." Kal fell in step beside her. "Come to my state room tomorrow morning and we'll put a plan of attack together."

"I'll be there bright and early." And she couldn't stop the small smile that graced her lips. A slight change had come over Kal; he'd adopted an air of confidence, control. She had to admire Kryptonian education and training. Duty was heavily ingrained into life on this other world and taken very seriously. She had no doubt that Kal now felt it *his* duty to do everything possible to find their son.

Maybe, just this time, it wouldn't be so bad having the First Lord on her side.