woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Wonderful chapter.

“Clark?” she asked quietly. “Does Lois think you’re Superman?”

He hesitated, then nodded. “Yes.”

“I see.” She sat back. “What did you do to give her that impression?”

He opened his mouth to speak, but shook his head and stepped back.

Then he turned into a roiling cauldron of bright colors.

Suddenly Superman was standing behind Clark’s chair, his hands on the chair back just as Clark’s had been a few moments earlier.

She nodded slowly and spoke even slower. “Yeah. That would do it, all right.”
That was priceless. And Cat's reaction. rotflol

Catharine took the cushion from his hand and tossed it lazily back to its home. “It’s okay, Superman. It is, after all, a throw pillow.”
Again, you make Cat better than many comedians.

“I just realized something absolutely devastating.” She looked at Clark. “You’re not just Superman, you’re also K. C. Jerome.” She sucked in a sharp breath. “That means – Superman writes romance novels!”
This makes me think of a new description for Superman: Fast than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, can leap tall buildings in a single bound, can inspire love in the hearts of Americans (or some similar classification). I give you, The Super Novelist.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I much appreciate this chapter, Terry.

I loved how Clark came home to Lois, totally exhausted, told her about the things that were bothering him so, and fell asleep on her couch. It reminds me of a comic book from 1990, where Clark and Lois were recently engaged, and Clark came home to Lois, physically and emotionally exhausted, and fell asleep in her armchair.

That nightly scene, when Clark came to Lois so vulnerable, so exhausted, and shared his deepest troubles with her, was so beautiful. I love how happy Lois was that Clark had come to her that night:

The oven chimed, and she thought she heard it tapping. Have to get that thing looked at, she thought.

Then she realized the tapping was coming from the living room window.

She hurried to pull the drapes open, hoping she wasn’t hearing things, but there he was, hovering in the darkening twilight just outside her window. She quickly opened it and stepped back to allow him to float in.
You keep giving me the impression that no other sight and sound is more welcome to her than the sight and sound of Clark.

I have not been equally certain of Clark's feelings for Lois. But here, when he has come to the end of his endurance, Lois is his safe haven.

“I’m tired, Lois. So very tired.”

“Would you like something to eat? I’ll call out if you – “

“No, that’s okay. If you’d – do you mind if I just rest here for a while?”

She smiled. “I don’t mind a bit. Let’s get you up on the couch first.”

He allowed her to haul him upright and to guide him down on the couch. “Can I get you anything, Clark?”

He leaned his head back. “No, I just need to sit down and rest for a few minutes.”

She pulled a chair close. “Do you feel like talking about it?”

He closed his eyes and sighed deeply. “Yeah, I think I do.”

She leaned closer and took his hand. “Then tell me the thing that’s in the front of your mind right now.”

He grinned slightly. “Staying right here and listening to your voice.”

She smiled also. “Thank you. What about the next thing?”
I love how Clark finds it in himself to come to Lois and show his exhaustion and vulnerability to her, and also to acknowledge to her how good, how relaxing, how soothing it is for him to listen to her voice.

What he is telling her, though, must be hurting him very much, particularly in view of the fact that he used to be a man who was beloved by almost everybody:

“Oh, the older man and woman from Florida who wouldn’t let me near them. They kept yelling something about me being a scout for an alien invasion.”
“Then there was the burned woman who got totally hysterical when I tried to fly her to the hospital. I ended up putting her in an ambulance.”
“And the two teenage boys who wouldn’t look at me. They said they were related to someone I’d killed.”
I flew over an Inuit village where a polar bear was attacking a group of women. They were trying to fend it off with spears and brooms. Two of the women were already hurt by the time I got there. I picked up the bear and took it to the coast, then I flew back and offered to help the wounded. They very politely declined. They weren’t afraid of me, exactly, just very wary, and a little upset.”

“Upset? Because you saved them from a bear?”

“Because I took away a source of food. They were going to kill the bear, eat it, and tan the hide.”
After Clark had fought so hard to save that huge ship, these are the memories he has to carry. People's distrust, fear, wariness. However, given the fact that many people must have been shocked by Superman's killing of Billy Church, and given the fact that Superman hasn't shown himself much since that shocking incidence, it makes good sense that some people are now going to be afraid of him.

I liked the morning scene with Cat, too. However, the impression that stays with me is that Lois and Clark's relationship is so fragile, so volatile, so uncertain, like walking a tightrope or like playing with fire near a store of firecrackers. You never know when somebody is going to take a fall, or when something is going to flare up, or when the whole thing is just going to explode and roar and blaze and destroy everything.

“You found out because I lost my temper. Everybody might know soon, and if that happens it will be because I lost my temper a second time.”

“That’s totally different!”

Clark remained seated. “Both of them involved Mayson.”

Lois stood and began pacing along a tight line. “That’s not fair, Clark! And it’s not the same thing!”
I'm not absolutely sure what Clark is really saying to Lois here. Is he saying that he loves her as much as he loved Mayson (not a really great compliment, that one) and if something happens to her, he might completely lose his temper again and perhaps kill again?

“You can’t do this!”

“I don’t know why not.”

Lois strode to the table and slapped it with both palms. “I won’t let you! This is ours! You can’t give it away to just anybody!”
Lois is very possessive.

Clark stood slowly. “Lois, I love you. I love you more than I love any other human being on this planet. But I don’t belong to you any more than you belong to me. And Catharine isn’t just anybody.” He took her hands in his. She turned her head and tried to pull away, but he stepped after her and refused to release his grip on her. “Please. She needs to know. You need a friend who understands it all. And I need to stop lying to her.”
That was beautifully said. Interestingly, I don't think he has shown his love for her as much as I would have liked him to, but then, he has had a lot on his mind. And I'm glad he said this.

“You won’t think so in a minute or two!”

“Girl! Come on, this is Cath! You know, the News Kitten! I know you. I know you wouldn’t care if Clark were an undercover FBI agent, or a bonded courier, or – “

“Or if he was Superman!”

“Yeah, if he was Superman, or he was involved in an undercover sting operation of some – “ Catharine stopped, dropped her jaw open, and stared at Lois for several seconds.

She finally shook herself out of her shock. Enunciating every syllable with the greatest of care, she asked, “Lois? What did you just say?”

“You heard me! Deal with it!” And with that, Lois leaped up from her chair and stormed into the bedroom, slamming the door behind her.
Lois is not too far from an emotional breakdown herself.

“Okay.” She leaned back and exhaled deeply. “The only question I have now is why did Lois freak out a few minutes ago?”

He shook his head. “That, I don’t know. I certainly didn’t expect it.”
These versions of Lois and Clark seem to have a hard time anticipating each other's reactions.

“Me either. Hey, how long has she known?”

He ducked his head and she was almost sure he blushed a little. “Since before Mayson died.”
I like the fact that he blushes. I think he is ashamed of how little he trusted Lois when she had found out about his secret. Is that why he wants to trust Cath now?

The Cath, Clark and Lois scene ends in reconciliation, apologies and good-natured jokes. Good. Well, your story is much like real life in many respects, Terry. In real life, it is quite common that you love and care deeply for someone, and yet that person keeps provoking you and making you behave rather badly.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part! drool Beautiful story!

eek Superman accusation is been inducing people actions.

Clark reached across the table and grasped her hands. “I’m glad. I don’t think I could take it if you were being a golden retriever.”

They both stared at him, astonished, then Catharine began to laugh. Lois ducked her head and muttered, “My life as I know it is melting all around me, and all the man whom I love can do is mock me. Oh, woe is me, I am undone!”
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Ann, if I'm not mistaken, the two times that were because of Mayson wer probably like this.

Clark and Lois were fighting about Mayson or something, Clark lost his temper and the secret came out. The second time would be when he killed Church and everybody knowing would be because he might reveal his secret if he was put in prison (would be kind of hard to explain why no one ever saw Clark again).

Correct me if I'm wrong, Terry.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Woody, that's it. Lois found out that Clark was Superman because he lost his temper and took it out on a metal desk. The world may find out because he lost his temper and killed Bill Church, and there's no way for Clark to live outside prison with Superman inside.

Thank all of you for your insightful comments. And thank you for reading this somewhat difficult story. I wish I could promise that all will be well in the end, but then, that would be telling, now, wouldn't it?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I love that Clark goes to Lois for comfort. They are still dancing around each other, but he knows that he needs her.

Since Catharine is here, I can tell her what I hinted at the other night.”

“What you hinted at – No!”

Catharine looked at Lois, whose puzzlement had suddenly morphed into something much more intense. “No! Clark, you can’t tell – you mustn’t! Not now! Not yet!”
I am suprised at this reaction from Lois.

“That’s like comparing firecrackers to hydrogen bombs, Cath.”
Great line!

Why didn't he just come out and tell her instead of playing twenty questions?

“Clark?” she asked quietly. “Does Lois think you’re Superman?”

He hesitated, then nodded. “Yes.”

“I see.” She sat back. “What did you do to give her that impression?”

He opened his mouth to speak, but shook his head and stepped back.

Then he turned into a roiling cauldron of bright colors.

Suddenly Superman was standing behind Clark’s chair, his hands on the chair back just as Clark’s had been a few moments earlier.

She nodded slowly and spoke even slower. “Yeah. That would do it, all right.”
smile

news on the air in Cincinnati
WKRP in Cincinnati... (sorry, couldn't resist)

You’re Clark. You’ve always been Clark.
Smart girl. Of course, Cath was working from a lot more facts then Lois had originally.

“You’re not just Superman, you’re also K. C. Jerome.” She sucked in a sharp breath. “That means – Superman writes romance novels!”
Which is, indeed, quite funny. smile

Nice chapter.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Mrs. Mosley wrote:

news on the air in Cincinnati
WKRP in Cincinnati... (sorry, couldn't resist)
Actually, that's exactly what I was hoping people would assume. In "The Maysonry of Life," Lois calls a guy named Les at the Cinncinnati radio station to check on Cath's condition after the failed assassination attempt.

I have a nostalgic connection with that city. I saw my first major league baseball games in Crosley Field in the 1960's (I was very young, of course).

And Clark "played 20 questions" with Cat because he was trying to break the news to her gently, which will contrast with another revelation in a chapter following shortly.

Ann mentioned that Lois is also under stress and seems to be showing it. Yes, she is, and stress makes people behave oddly at times, and can also make them extremely impatient with their loved ones. Lois is showing both of those symptoms.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Wow, I WAS right...and I haven't read Maysonry of Life yet.

woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I finally read Maysonry of Life, and I love what you did with the characters, Terry.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard