There's a bit more A-plot in this one than there has been in any of the other parts.

Also note that I have NO idea whether or not the encounter between Kathryn and the FBI agents is plausible... let's just assume it is, for the sake of the story. I didn't have time to research that - and I doubt I would have been able to find info on that to begin with.

~.~.~.~

Part 4

As she prepared Timmy for bed, Kathryn heard a knock on the door. Who could this possibly be, she wondered? She barely knew anyone in Metropolis; she didn't have time to meet people... And she doubted any of her family would show up here. She hadn't seen any of them since she'd left that two-timing husband of hers and she wasn't expecting them to come waltzing back into her life anytime soon.

She pulled the covers gently over her son and gave him a tender kiss on the forehead before going over to the front door.

"Who's there?" she asked, looking through the peephole.

"FBI," a man said, in a low baritone voice.

She unlocked the door and pulled it open slightly. The man flashed his badge at her and so she opened the door some more. As she did so, she noticed that there were two agents standing there.

"Kathryn Parker?" he asked.

Kathryn nodded.

"I'm special agent Mike Decker," the man said. "and this is my partner, Steve Johnson."

"Can I help you?**" she asked, nervously.

Kathryn knew that she had done nothing that was even remotely outside the law, but opening your door to find a couple of FBI agents - of all people - standing there wasn't something especially reassuring anyway.

"We were hoping you might consider doing something for us, actually,**" he replied. "Can we come in? It won't take long, don't worry. Just a few minutes."

She was pretty sure that they weren't really going to give her much choice in the matter, so Kathryn let them inside. She showed them to the kitchen and offered them something to drink. They politely refused, but sat down at the table nonetheless.

"Ms. Parker, we know that your job at the Maple Ridge Diner puts you in contact with certain types of... let's say... businessmen, on a daily basis," agent Decker said.

"I don't know anything of their dealings!" Kathryn protested. "I don't listen in on their conversations!"

"I'm sure you don't," the other agent said, in a reassuring tone. "We're not accusing you of anything. You have absolutely nothing to worry about."

"Absolutely nothing," agent Decker confirmed. "We'd simply like to make you an offer... We're aware of the fact that there are several restraining orders against your ex-husband, one in just about every state you've ever moved to. I don't suppose this is the life you had planned for your son, is it?"

Kathryn looked at them, confused and frightened. They seemed to know everything about her... What if they weren't really with the FBI? She was on the verge of panicking when one of the agents noticed her distress.

"I'm sorry if we sound threatening. I promise, this wasn't the intention," he said. "The thing is, if you agreed to do just a little bit of 'listening in' to the conversations that you hear every day; if you would consider talking to us about that and about the people you meet at the diner... Ms. Parker, we could put you on a witness protection program. This would ensure a better future for your son and keep the threat of your ex-husband away for good."

"You... you want me to... to spy?" she asked, incredulous.

"If that's what you want to call it, yes," agent Johnson replied with a reassuring smile.

"We're by no means asking you to get involved in any of their dealings. You wouldn't need to do anything that you don't normally do. Just listen in a little bit more than usual and report information back to us."

"But why not just send one of your agents there, or better yet have one pose as a waitress?" Kathryn asked.

"Because... regular customers are wary of any new employee that shows up there. Surely you must have noticed this sort of behavior. Besides, you've been there long enough to know who meet there for business and who the inspectors in civvies are."

"Well, yes, I know... but I'm not certain I want to do this. I mean... what if someone found out what I was doing? What if they realized that I was talking to you people? These men... some of them are really frightening. What if they did something to Timmy? I couldn't live with myself if something ever happened to him. He's the only family I have left. He's my only reason to live."

"We understand, Ms. Parker. And you have nothing to worry about. For one thing, no one would ever know that you are working with us. We'd set up the proper channels for you to be able to give us the information that you get your hands on. Channels that are perfectly inconspicuous and safe. We can even set up surveillance so that nothing could possibly happen to your son."

"I suppose... but..." she started.

"Listen," agent Decker said. "This isn't an obligation. We're not going to force you into doing anything that you feel is not in your best interest. We fully understand your situation and believe me when I say that the last thing we would possibly want is for any harm to come to either you or your son. But on the other hand, if you do decide to work with us, there are definite benefits for you in the arrangement."

"Absolutely," agent Johnson chimed in. "However, the choice is very much up to you. You can take the time you need to think about it, but don't wait too long before letting us know. Once you reach a decision, whatever decision that may be, just call us at this number here." He handed her a business card. "You'll get an answering machine there. When you hear the tone, you need to leave a precise message. To signal your acceptance, simply ask that someone call you back. You don't have to leave your name or number, just pretend that you're calling someone you know and ask that they call you back. If, on the other hand you decide that this is too much for you, simply say that you're sorry and you've dialed a wrong number. This way, anyone listening in will think that this is a perfectly normal conversation. Whereas we will know exactly how to proceed from there. Does that make sense?"

Kathryn grabbed the card from the man's hand. "Yes, that's fine. I'll think about everything and call you when I reach a decision."

With that, both men got up and made their way back to the front door of Kathryn's apartment.

~.~.~.~

"I haven't seen much of you around these days, Lana. Is everything OK?" Clark asked, concerned.

"Oh, just busy," she explained. "We're just a couple days away from this year's charity event. You know... the costumed ball for Halloween?"

He looked at her with a puzzled expression.

"We have one every year, Clark," she explained. "Well, it'll be the first time in Metropolis, but we have this event every single year, no matter what city. I'm surprised you don't remember about the annual Halloween party."

"I guess it's just because I never go..." he shrugged.

"Right... You usually hide in Smallville instead. Which is ridiculous, cause it's the one event you host that you could easily attend every year! It's a costume party, Clark. If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, no one would know it's you. Besides... people don't even expect to see you at these things anymore. And who knows, maybe your mystery woman will be there?"

"You think?"

A spark of hope lit up his eyes suddenly. He didn't know who she was and therefore had pretty much let go of the idea of ever seeing her again. He didn't venture outside the property and he was pretty sure she was not going to come around here a second time. Besides, good things rarely ever happened to him, so why should this be any different?

"Well, It's hard to say without knowing who she is..." Lana said. "But there are always so many people present, it's possible she might be there. Who knows?"

"I'm not so sure I want to do this, though..."

He knew Lana had a point. More than one, really. There was always a chance this woman would be there. And it was easy to preserve one's anonymity at a costumed ball. But for some reason he still felt that he would stick out like a sore thumb or that someone would be wise enough to unmask him, somehow.

"Why not, Clark? It's the one night of the year where you can blend in. Completely blend in. Everyone there is going to be pretending they're someone they're not! It's perfect, Clark! Even if you showed up there dressed as a little green man from Mars, no one would think anything of it. They'd just think it's fun."

"Could we please not get into the whole alien thing again, Lana?" he sighed.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean it that way. You know what I mean, though, right? No one there is going to be who they seem to be. You could pretend to be anyone you like. For just one night you don't have to be Clark Kent, you could be whoever you want to be. I can arrange to get a costume for you. Just say the word."

"I don't know about this, Lana... You really think that's such a good idea? I mean, granted I wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a conversation with other living souls, but...."

It had been years since Clark had been in the presence of other people besides Lana and in a way he missed it. But being around other people always brought its share of heartache and pain in the long run and there was just so many of these a man could take before he broke down completely.

"A costume party is the perfect occasion for that," she interrupted before he could voice whatever reason it was that he shouldn't go. "I promise, no one will ever know you were even there. People don't even know for sure what you look like, you made sure of that after Capetown - remember? Come on! Actually... you know, for once I really wouldn't mind having a dance partner... I don't know anyone in this town, as usual."

Clark knew she didn't mean that to sound resentful, but the words still stung a little bit. Lana was old enough that she didn't need to have a legal guardian anymore, but for some reason she had still stayed. For the life of him he could not see why she hadn't left a long time ago. He surely wasn't keeping her there against her will! She knew that, too. They'd moved around a lot and he'd often expected that at some point she would find a place where she would want to stay and that would be it. Of course, having her here meant a lot to him - it helped a lot, too - but he wished she would see that there was no reason for her to live the same life he did.

"As you are well aware, there is no reason for you to spend absolutely all your time at the mansion, Lana. You have no reason not to have friends in Metropolis. I wish you did, really. You need to go out and have fun, meet people."

"And you don't?" she shot back.

Lana knew she was right although she was stepping into quick sand with this line of questioning. She'd tried to convince him time and time again that the life he led was terribly unhealthy, but he no longer listened. And while she knew that she was free to do as she pleased, she couldn't help but stay there with him. He was miserable and she knew it. How could she have left him all alone with no one to speak to ever again? He'd given her a future when she no longer had one; he'd taken care of her when there was no one left who would; how could she then, in good conscience, just abandon him when it was clear he needed her? If she'd done that, then he would have likely just withered away and died. Forgotten and alone. Just the thought of that broke her heart.

"That's a different story. You have no reason to hide," he said.

"If you were half as smart as people say you are, you'd realize that you don't either!"

He simply raised his eyebrows at her. There was no point in getting into that argument again. She knew his reasons and he wasn't going to explain it to her again.

"Okay, okay... I get it. But please come to this party, Clark. Just this once. This might be your one chance at seeing her again, you know. Everyone who's anyone is going to be there."

"I'm not so sure I want to see that many people..."

"Please? For me?" She looked at him with pleading eyes.

This was one of those irrational arguments that Clark had never been able to say no to.

"Well, maybe I could just poke my head in and see what all the fuss is about," he said after a short moment of reflection. "After all, this is a party I'm technically hosting, right? Just... I won't be caught dead looking like a little green man! Anything but that!"

"I'm not sure green is really your color anyway," she teased. "I'll find something appropriate. Unless... well, is there anyone you'd like to be?"

"Yeah, I wish I was a normal human man..." he whispered, barely loudly enough for her to hear. He continued, in a normal speaking voice. "Whatever, it doesn't matter, I'll barely be there long enough for anyone to notice anyhow."

He left the room and went back to his study.

Lana turned to her computer and tried to find a costume idea for Clark. After a few minutes of clicking and scrolling, she saw something that was positively brilliant. It took only a few minutes to call the rental place where she'd reserved hers and make sure they had what she needed for him. She smiled as the clerk confirmed they could have both ready for her and delivered on the 31st. This was going to be a wonderful Halloween, Lana thought.

~.~.~.~

When she got to the Star in the morning, Lois looked at her timetable and realized she didn't have lots planned for the day. She almost hoped that Lex would show up. Almost.

She'd been trying to get the groundskeeper out of her mind ever since she had run off from Eagle View Drive yesterday. He'd had the strangest effect on her and as much as she would have liked to find out what that was about, she was scared out of her mind of having to talk to that man again. Her instinct told her that, in the oddest of ways, this man was dangerous. Although she wondered if he was more dangerous for her physical safety or for her mental balance.

No matter how hard she tried, Lois could not get that encounter out of her mind. She couldn't get his face out of her mind either. Everywhere she turned, she thought she caught glimpses of him.

She had hoped that work would help clear her head, but she had nothing on the horizon. She would have taken anything right now, even covered a dog show! Just something to occupy her mind with. She'd even enjoy chatting with her partner, she thought. But then, of course, it was still way too early in the morning for him to show up, wasn't it?

Lois wondered how this little setback was going to affect her plans of interviewing Clark Kent. She'd tried talking to his assistant, but that hadn't led her anywhere. Flirting with the groundskeeper was pretty much out, now, too. She didn't think she'd be able to put three words together in a sentence if she ever saw him again, anyway. What other choices did she have now? How about trying to get inside the mansion, she wondered? Seeing as though she had nothing else interesting planned, Lois thought maybe this would be a good use for her time. And she new exactly how she was going to get in, too....

Just then, a copy boy walked past her desk hurriedly and dropped an envelope there for her.

"I guess he's got you doing gossip, this week," the young man said with a grimace.

Lois picked up the envelope and opened it. Inside, she found an invitation to a charity fundraiser. It was a costumed ball for Halloween. It wasn't addressed to her per se, but to the Metropolis Star, so she knew that this was and assignment and not an option. She wasn't exactly pleased at the prospect of going to one of those things... Lois hated costumes. And this would make her job so much harder if she didn't know who the people were. How would she know to ask the right questions to the right people?

She was about to throw the invitation in her drawer when she happened to notice the address on it... Eagle View Drive. Lois did a double take. Could that be? The man who never saw anyone and didn't leave his mansion was throwing a party and inviting people to come and visit his home? That did not make sense. She'd have to ask what that was all about for sure!

If all else failed, this would be her key to get in the house, she realized. She might even get to see him if she was observant and careful enough. Maybe finally land that interview? Lois smiled brightly and set the precious invitation down on her desk as if it was made out of twenty-four carat gold.

Of course, that was just when Lex Luthor had decided it would be good of him to make an appearance in the newsroom.

"So we're going to the costumed party?" he asked.

"We?" she blurted out, somewhat confused.

"Well, yes, of course 'we'. What do you think? That I'm going to pass up an opportunity to mingle with the rich and famous? No way, rookie! Why do you think the invitation made it to your desk anyway? I practically had to beg for that, you know!"

"Beg? What? Lex, why would you beg for something like that?" Lois asked. She was completely confused now.

"Geez you're dense! The Star got two pairs of those. Carpenter's got one, obviously. And the other pair was going to end up in the newsroom. Of course, I was getting one of them. Seniority and all that. But I'll be damned if I have to go there with that ditsy girl from the gossip column! She may be all curves, but those don't write articles. That's where you come along. You know... ask questions, type up the article and all that. The usual."

"Lex! I'm not your lackey!" Lois protested vehemently. "I will not spend my evening there doing all the work for you to put your name on the byline!"

"Ah, but I know for a fact that you will come, no matter what. Little Miss Lois Lane's been eating up all of Mr. Clark Kent's novels recently. Of course she's dying to go to a party he's throwing," he explained with a sly smile.

Touché. He was good, she had to admit. He knew her pretty well.

"Okay, okay! You win this round," Lois mumbled under her breath.

"Get yourself a sexy costume, now, you hear? If we're going to be seen there together, I'd like you to look... you know... like a woman. Not like what you usually wear... Lois, suits are for men - it doesn't matter if yours have a skirt instead of a pair of pants, they're still suits. You'd get much better results if you dressed... you know... more attractively."

Lois let out a frustrated sigh. She would throw such a huge party the day she got rid of her partner! She grabbed her purse and set off towards the bathroom.

As she got there, she hid in one of the stalls and pulled out the book from her bag. When she put it down last, she had but a few pages left before she was done with it. She almost ached to know how it ended. This and the fact that she was grabbing for this book every time she felt down or angry and needed something to cheer her up, made her realize that this had become almost like a drug. The novel was to Lois what a fix was to an addict. But, it didn't matter. She could ponder the repercussions of this later on if she thought she needed to. For the moment, what she really needed was to read the last few lines of this story.

~excerpt from "Across The Dunes"~

I've been in Cairo the last week or so. Every morning as I get out of bed, I tell myself that today I'll be leaving for Alexandria. Today, I'll take that last big step towards this goal that I've now set for myself. Once I get there, once I reach the port of Alexandria, I will embark on a trip across the Mediterranean and make my way to Europe. And then, come hell or high water, I will head north, to London. I promise myself I will. I promise her I will, even though she cannot hear me; even though she doesn't know.

But every morning, as I look out the window of the cramped living quarters that I call home for now, every morning I lose courage. And I end up here again at the end of the day, to find myself standing in the same spot the next morning, looking out the same window and making empty promises to the wind once more.

Today was Sunday. At least I think it was. It had to be... It doesn't really matter. Today was yet another day that saw me get up from bed and go from the strong-willed person I want to be to the cowardly lion I really am. Sometimes I wish I were in Oz. I want to pretend that I'm strong, but the fact of the matter is that even Dorothy could kick my sorry behind from here to kingdom come if she only knew where to find me. I would deserve it, I guess.

I take her picture out of my notebook once more. This pretty little girl whose life I turned upside down; whose future I've made a complete mess of; whose happiness I've probably ruined beyond salvation. This pretty little girl who, for reasons that I cannot even begin to comprehend, actually thinks the world of me. She sits in her dorm room in London every night, hoping that I'll come back for her soon, yet for the life of me I still can't understand why she would want me there in the first place. Why she would want to be anywhere near me. I've caused her so much pain. Granted, when she needed someone to be there, to be strong for her, I was. I had to be. But how she could forgive me - when I cannot even begin to forgive myself - is beyond me.

It's not her I run from. It's never been her that I've run away from. On some level I'm sure she knows. It's myself I run from, I guess. Although after all this time, you'd think I would have come to terms with the fact that I can't change who I am and what I've done. Or rather, what I haven't done. I'm just afraid. Afraid of myself just as much as I am for myself, in a way.

But tomorrow... When I get out of bed tomorrow, I will pack up and leave Cairo. Ride on to Alexandria. Stop being so afraid. Stop pretending. Stop running.

Tomorrow is the day I start being a man.

~end of excerpt~

Lois reached in her bag and pulled out a Kleenex. She blew her nose and grabbed another Kleenex to wipe away her tears with. That last chapter was heart wrenching to say the least!

She wondered again whether this was an autobiographical novel. If it was, then this man had wrestled with a lot more than just the hard road through the desert and he was obviously tortured by something in his past. On the other hand, if it wasn't and this was just a fictional character in a book, then Clark Kent deserved an award for that. Maybe he's already won one, she thought. She'd have to look that up. She knew he'd racked up a good lineup of awards, but she didn't know for sure which or what he'd gotten them for. In this one case, the prospect of more research didn't put her out one bit. Lois felt like she was starting to know this man a little more every day. And every day she found she really liked him.

Once she had dried her eyes and thought that she looked presentable enough to go back out in the newsroom, she left her little sanctuary and headed back into the lion's den.

~.~.~.~

To Be Continued

[**] -> edited cause original was... flawed!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies