Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
You mentioned earlier that CK's novel is at least semi-autobiographical. If so, it seems that he still hasn't embraced the meaning of Ahmed's quote:

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it," he says.
because he is still hiding.

Is the groundskeeper actually CK? And how exactly is Lois going to get on the grounds to flirt with him?

She shook her head as she realized that she was actually much more interested in meeting Clark Kent than she was in meeting Mr. Right.
And that, ladies and gents, is what we call irony. smile

Nice chapter.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wouldn't Tempus love to see this story.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hehehehe! I so love to see you guys asking all sorts of questions. devil The answers are all coming my friends. You'll see. smile

Now, since people are about to choke on Lana here... I posted it in the previous thread: she's not his daughter or his wife. She's like his kid sister. You'll get all the details later. But only much later - in part 9, I think - will you get to know absolutely everything about her. In the meantime, stop worrying about her. You should really worry about Batman instead. (I'm kidding!!! Batman... nah, you definitely don't need to worry about him. I just love to bring him up. You'll see.)

The rest is anyone's guess.

Wouldn't Tempus love to see this story.
What makes you think he hasn't already?

Hey, woody - btw.. I totally meant to say this like 10 posts ago... Your sig totally cracks me up. Every single time! smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I may have forgotten to mention, but there is an A-plot to this story.
I’m so glad you mentioned this. This confuses me to no end. What’s the difference between an A plot and a B plot? (Yes, I should know and I’ve been told, but I just can’t get it to stick in my head.)
~~~

The pretty waitress, the one with the long sandy hair, had ordered their usual breakfast the second she had seen them walk in. And she'd hurried with their coffees, just as she always did. Lex appreciated the fact that she was quick and efficient,
Man, don’t you just love waitresses like this? I used to go to one restaurant frequently when I lived in Columbus, Ohio. (It was close to where I lived.) The one waitress that I always hoped to have brought me my choice of drinks without me having to ask. It was great.
~~~

So he himself took a sip of coffee and tried to relax as he felt the searing liquid descend slowly from his mouth all the way to his empty stomach, like a flow of burning lava.
How do people do this? I can’t stand to drink any really hot liquid.
~~~

So Lex isn’t pursuing Lois in this fic?
~~~

Ever since they'd started working together, he had called her "rookie". It annoyed her to no end
And after a year, he’s still calling her a rookie…
~~~

In all honesty, he couldn't have cared less. Fate had given him a partner whom he could now dump all the work on.
Figures. Probably takes all the credit, too.
~~~

"Well, I've just gotten some more information on the..." she started.

"Wonderful! Then you'll take care of it, right?
Creep.
~~~

For a second, Lois wondered what exactly would happen if she didn't "take care of it" and never got around to writing the piece. She wasn't really sure she wanted to find out, though. In theory, yes, she'd very much like to know.
No you wouldn’t, Lois. Remember even if you didn’t have Lex to deal with, you’d still have Preston Carpenter to deal with.
~~~

convinced that, even if I had tried, there is no way I would have seen them through the sand.
Yeah, right. You can’t see them.
~~~

all I saw was sand dancing in the air.
Love this imagery.
~~~

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it," he says.
I like this.
~~~

Have you been to Egypt?
~~~

"Seems he's got a groundskeeper, too," the silver-haired lady explained. "A very handsome looking one at that. Tall, dark and nothing but muscles.
That ain’t the groundskeeper, ladies.
~~~

So there was a groundskeeper, huh? Well if she wasn't able to get the assistant to cave, perhaps a little flirting with tall-dark-and-muscular would help get her that interview.
Might not get you an interview, but it will do something - that’s for sure.
~~~

Lois giggled as she realized that in a strange way, she was now spending all her evenings with Clark Kent and that it was the highlight of her day.
Can I do that, too?
~~~

She shook her head as she realized that she was actually much more interested in meeting Clark Kent than she was in meeting Mr. Right.
We know something you don’t know, Lois.
~~~

"Not for a reporter there isn't," Lana replied acidly. "Goodbye, Miss Lane."
Ah-ha. Lana isn’t as easy as Lois thought.
~~~

I've been telling you this for years and you know full well I'm not just saying that because of... well... you know."
What? What? Is she in love with him?
~~~

"I swear, Clark, if you finish that sentence..." she warned him, pointing her index finger to his face in a menacing sort of way.
I can see her shaking her finger at him.
~~~

Great story, Caro.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, why not worry about Batman? And Robin? You did tell us that Lois would rather be Batman's sidekick than, uh, Lex's! (I think I agree....)

Okay, I think you told us enough about Lana in chapter two that we don't have to worry about her. But, uh, the groundskeeper? Is he really Clark? Guess I figured Clark would be, somehow, older in this story. (But then he may be ageless, so he might look twenty-nine for centuries.) Well, my first thought was that the groundskeeper was a man Clark had met in the desert and had invited to accompany him to Metropolis. But probably not.

Anyway, the idea that Lois would flirt with the groundskeeper, thinking he is just the groundskeeper, is brilliant! It will be much harder for Clark to snub or dismiss her if she obviously believes he is just a lowly gardener or something. Eh... let's see... that would mean Clark would have two secret identities to uphold in front of Lois. The groundskeeper is really Clark Kent, the novelist, who is really Superman. Right? But, Lara, I have to wonder why Clark is apparently totally non-super in his novel, and you said that one was *very* autobiographical. Well, either Clark is lying about his abilities in that story, or else he was temporarily powerless during that time in the desert.

This is still an absolutely fascinating story! Looking forward eagerly to the rest of it!!!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, why not worry about Batman? And Robin? You did tell us that Lois would rather be Batman's sidekick than, uh, Lex's!
I'd swear I read a fic once where Lois was Batman's sidekick. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the one where they all played basketball.

Kerth
Kerth
Sorry to be soo late - and that nearly all my favourite quotes have already been taken. Nancy did a really good job of it. And of writing what I'd have written - often literally. razz

But this one, she missed:
Lana shook her head at the thought and laughed softly. Wringing his neck! Even if she was strong enough and, by some miracle it did hurt him just the tiniest bit, she doubted it would do him any good.
Lana has him all figured out. The image alone cracks me up. Usually, I see Lana more as the type to fling herself at his neck instead of wringing it. clap

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
omg! Thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback! I could just run over and hug every one of you! smile

I’m so glad you mentioned this. This confuses me to no end. What’s the difference between an A plot and a B plot? (Yes, I should know and I’ve been told, but I just can’t get it to stick in my head.)
Well... people around here seem to be using it in their own special way, which is somewhat different from the "official" definition of those.

Technically:
The A-plot is the main story - the one that drives the action
The B-plot is the sub-plot - the one that's a lil more "cute and mushy"

See here for proper info.

Around these parts, even though technically you can't have a B-plot without an A (you can't have a subplot if there is no main one) people will say their story is B-plot only, meaning it's just relationship oriented (ie: waffy and cute and please-get-me-more-Kleenex). A-plot being any type of action (super villains, criminals, investigations, mysteries) - lots of stories here don't have any of that.

And generally speaking - at least as far as I can see - some people are a little put off when there's action in a story, 'cause they're looking for the stuff that makes you feel good as opposed to things that'll make you scratch your head as you try to figure out how they're going to catch the bad guys.

Hopefully, I got this exactly right. wink

Man, don’t you just love waitresses like this? I used to go to one restaurant frequently when I lived in Columbus, Ohio. (It was close to where I lived.) The one waitress that I always hoped to have brought me my choice of drinks without me having to ask. It was great.
I *adore* people like that! smile The girl where I get my breakfast every morning (ie: croissant and coffee to go) always has it ready for me the second she sees me coming in. My day wouldn't be the same without her!

So Lex isn’t pursuing Lois in this fic?
You'll see...

Have you been to Egypt?
Only through Google Earth. I have seen zillions of documentaries, though. Pyramids are so totally fascinating. And I've done quite a bit of research for this as well. I'd say I easily spent 5 to 6 hours looking up at all sorts of informations on Sudan and Egypt. So when Lois is saying she starting to want to go there herself, this is my little "Mary-Jane" moment -- that was pretty much me speaking then.

I've been telling you this for years and you know full well I'm not just saying that because of... well... you know."
What? What? Is she in love with him?
No... Just that she's not impartial. An assistant might be, but Lana isn't simply his assistant. That's all.

Well, why not worry about Batman? And Robin?
You won't see Robin anywhere. But Batman... um... he's in part 6. But I promise, he barely even makes a move. Er... well, he does make a move, but... um... shhh! forget I said that. LOL!

Oh and I would also much prefer to be Batman's sidekick than Lex's. Hey, I'd prefer to be *Robin's* sidekick rather than Lex's. In fact, I'd prefer... you get the point... hehehe!

I'm not saying *anything* about the groundskeeper. Just that he's tall dark and handsome - but you already knew that.

But, Lara, I have to wonder why Clark is apparently totally non-super in his novel, and you said that one was *very* autobiographical. Well, either Clark is lying about his abilities in that story, or else he was temporarily powerless during that time in the desert.
Clark is totally, completely, 100% super, all the time.

In the novel, he mentions his abilities a few times, but it's subtle. In one later part you'll see he talks about flying -- but if you don't know that he can do those things, you won't even notice. Which is the whole point of it... He would never have published a novel in which he says "hey, I have super powers" because people might assume that the book is autobiographical. So the story is edited in a way that if you don't know, you won't see; but if you do, just a little reading between the lines and you'll understand quite a bit.

For instance, when he says "Against my better judgment, I hid here and waited for dawn like a coward,..."
He doesn't want to show himself - this is why he's being a coward. Because he could help, he really could. But he's scared of people knowing he's different.

And when he says "I dig with him with all the speed and strength I can willingly put into the task."
Notice he says "willingly". That's on purpose. He could be putting a LOT more strength into it, but he doesn't want to be noticed. He's already said a few times he does not want people picking up his trace - that's cause when he was in Khartoum, he's had to do a little super something and he's been forced to leave. And now the worst he could do is to reveal his secret to these people because he needs them in order to cross the desert.

I'd swear I read a fic once where Lois was Batman's sidekick. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the one where they all played basketball.
Let me know if you find that! I want to read it! smile

Usually, I see Lana more as the type to fling herself at his neck instead of wringing it.
hehehe! Yeah. But we don't really want anyone but Lois throwing herself at Clark, do we?

Coming up in part 3:
- stupid Lex and angry Lois (and she's brilliant in that part)
- another little pearl of wisdom from Ahmed (my fav one)
- the very first little "pop culture" inside of the story. hehehe!
- and... um... a cat. (No, no. not a Cat, I mean a cat.)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is an interesting story, Lara. You've switched Clark and Lex in position and occupation (sort of), but you've kept their personalities intact. And if I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that Tempus is Lex's unnamed dining companion, as well as being the man who lands and looks around, wondering if he has the right time. Of course, the second man could be H. G. Wells, too, but he didn't seem like good ol' Herb.

Your use of irony is very good, and I like the way Lex dumps all his work on Lois. Hmm. That's not as Lex-like as in 'canon,' but it's still in character, because he's using a legit job to hide his not-so-legit activities.

Keep up the posting. I want to read the rest of this.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
smile Thanks Terry!

And if I had to hazard a guess, I'd guess that Tempus is Lex's unnamed dining companion, as well as being the man who lands and looks around, wondering if he has the right time.
hehehe! I love to see you guys speculate. I'm getting such a big kick out of that.

--> The guy at the diner is a burly dude whose favorite words are "as usual" and he's a generous tipper.

Hang on... that sounds like Tempus? It sounds a lot more like the guy with the tasteful jewelry for men, to me. Unless I'm getting to be really bad at descriptions.

--> The guy at the beginning of the story can do things people cannot understand is seen looking at a place because he's planning his next move.

Well, I dunno... doesn't that sound like Clark?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And of writing what I'd have written - often literally.
Sorry, Mellie… blush

Thanks for the info on the A/B plot. This time I save it into a file and bookmarked the wiki bit. Maybe I won’t forget now.

Here's the story about the basketball game. (The Flash and Robin play, too.)

All Star Pick Up Game Joseph Barrow

I'm not sure if the other one really exists, or if I'm getting it confused with this one.

I thought the guy at the beginning that set down on the 'haunted' property was Clark.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oh, cool! thanks for the link to the story. I'm going to check that out right away. laugh

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard