You asked for more Lois and Clark interaction, and of course you'll get it. I hope you like this although Becca is not able to save Clark's day. But maybe he can manage without her ? goofy

Special thanks to LaraMoon. She really made my day, yesterday. sloppy

From Part 6:

About half an hour later, Becca had had a shower and was dressed. Clark had phoned his parents and asked them if they would look after her. They had agreed and Clark had promised to take Becca to them. During this entire time, Lois had sat on the couch and hadn’t said anything. Although Clark didn’t actually know her, she seemed quite distracted and lost in thought. He decided not to question her behavior until he knew Becca safely with his parents.

Part 7:

An hour after Lois Lane had stormed into his apartment; they were both sitting in her car. She drove. They were headed for the fire department in a suburb of Metropolis and Clark was glad that it wasn’t the one that had been called to extinguish the fire at Lois’ place. They might recognize him. Clark was rather glad that he didn’t need to concentrate on traffic. He wasn’t sure that he would have been able to do it. Lois Lane was really intoxicating. She messed up his mind and turned him into a drooling fool. Well, this might have been a little exaggerated: he could keep his mouth shut and his lips and chin dry. Her legs, under that skirt, were just incredible. And so was the rest of her. She was speaking again and telling him what she knew about the two fires. It wasn’t anything he didn’t already know, but then he had been as close to the fire as possible.

Throughout her monologue, Clark noticed that rumors were right and Lois Lane was really a brilliant reporter. She really knew how to get information. The physicians at the hospital had certainly made her stay there for at least twenty-four hours, so she might have left hospital the previous evening. She hadn’t had much time, but nonetheless, Lois was aware of most facts concerning the fire. What she didn’t mention was how close she had been to one of the fires.

Clark thought briefly about what might have happened if he had found a payphone and called 911. Were the fire fighters right and she would have died if he hadn’t been there? Clark dismissed the thought. He was just grateful that he had these powers, for the first time in weeks. They had given him a second chance to get to know Lois. He looked over to her and his heart started beating rapidly. He studied her face, the straight line of her nose and her adorable lips. She was concentrating on the traffic and continued her monologue. He liked the warm tone of her voice when she wasn’t angry. The air was filled with the faint scent of her shampoo, mixed with her own unique scent. It was sweet and tantalizingly attractive.

Clark blinked. He shouldn’t fall for a woman that he had first met only two days ago. What he had seen of Lois Lane so far had been more scary than it was lovable. She had been impossibly rude and offending and moreover, Becca didn’t seem to like her. Maybe he should listen to his little whirlwind, in this current state of temporary insanity.

While Clark was staring adoringly at Lois Lane he got so lost in thought, that he had not heard a single of her words. He realized too late that this was a mistake.

“Earth to Clark Kent!” Lois said with a hint of annoyance.

“Eh, what?” he asked, confused.

“I was asking if you were listening, but no answer is an answer as well,” Lois replied angrily. “Let’s get something straight, Kent. I’m the best reporter in this city and you are the most inexperienced. You’d better listen to me when I’m telling you something. I’m not known for my patience and to be honest, being partnered with you for this story was absolutely not my idea. So if you don’t want to do this, just go. I certainly won’t hold you back.” She parked the car at the side of the street. “Okay, here we are. When we get inside, I’ll ask the questions. Your job is to listen and learn. Don’t do anything stupid to keep the fire fighters from answering my questions.”

“Are you finished, Ms. Lane?” Clark felt anger well up inside him. His self-imposed avoidance of Lois’ attractiveness was much easier to stick to now that she had turned into her bitchy self again. “There is such a thing as being too self-assured, you know?” He didn’t plan on becoming Lois Lane’s personal lap dog.

“Kent, I’m top banana. Take it or leave it. That’s not my problem,” she shot back.

She was right; it wasn’t her problem but his. He needed the job. Clark swallowed his pride and crossed the street a few steps behind her They went over to a red brick building that had two entrances - a big one for fire trucks and a smaller one for the people.

Lois had an air of certainty as she walked directly over to the smaller entrance and opened the door as if nothing on earth would be able to stop her. Clark followed her more self-consciously.

“Hey, is anybody there?” Lois shouted as soon as they had entered the building. She looked around and turned to the big fire truck. Three men were working around it. They looked up as they heard her.

“We’re here,” one of them replied needlessly since Lois had already seen them. “Who are you and what do you want?” he asked, his brows furrowed.

“Lois Lane, Daily Planet, I’m…” Lois hesitated briefly, remembering that someone was with her. “This is Clark Kent,” she then added. “We’d like to ask a few questions about the fire at the hotel yesterday evening.”

“The police has all the information, ask their spokesperson!” another fire fighter turned them down.

“I know what the police know,” Lois said impatiently. “What I want is your side of the story!”

The fire fighter shook his head. “Ask our spokesperson – that’s as much of our story as you will get!”

Clark remembered the fire, his own fear and despair. It had to be a million times worse for those poor men. They had chosen the job, granted, but it had to be hard; really hard. What had left him completely devastated in just one night was their lot in life. How did they deal with it, Clark wondered? Despite Lois’ interdiction, he opened his mouth.

“We want to write about how it feels to be a fire fighter,” he said softly.

“How it feels?” the third man frowned. “You don’t wanna know how it feels. You can’t express how it feels,” he said, annoyed. Lois shot Clark a very angry glance. If looks could kill, he would have been dead by now. It meant *Keep your mouth shut!* Clark returned that look with an indifferent expression on his face. Only one of his eyebrows was raised a little, silently telling Lois not to be too quick to judge.

“But you can,” Clark replied simply.

“No, we can’t.” The words sounded a whole lot gentler, despite the rejection. Lois was obviously irritated. She didn’t say anything and her mouth was slightly open. “All I can tell you about that fire is that a miracle happened.”

“A miracle?” Clark asked, skeptically. “You call two people dying a miracle?”

“I call eighteen people surviving a miracle!” the man stated.

“Why was it a miracle?” Lois asked, pronouncing the word miracle as if she very much doubted the existence of such things.

“Because in my opinion there was no chance for these people to get out of the burning hotel,” the fire fighter replied. “The entire hotel was ablaze by the time we arrived at the site of the fire. The hall was a sea of flames. We didn’t get inside as hard as we tried. The smoke must have been thick and suffocating. I have walked through many rooms, dark with smoke, and I can’t imagine how they got outside.”

“So you mean they must have had help?” Lois asked.

“Only God could have helped them.”

They asked the three men a few more questions, but they got more and more unwilling to reply. So after about a quarter of an hour Lois and Clark left the fire department.

“Miracle!” Lois said indignantly. “There is an explanation for everything. You only have to find it.” She sounded rather annoyed that their interview hadn’t led them anywhere. Clark was silent. He hadn’t seen the people he had saved. Had their really been eighteen of them? It hadn’t seemed like that, but his troubled mind had only counted the dead people and ignored the living. So had his rescue really been efficient? Clark could hardly believe, after a self-reproachful night, that the fire fighters considered his appearance a miracle. It was pretty much the first time that Clark had really heard such words. The most people he had saved didn’t even know he existed. Some had thanked him, but no one had ever been so eloquent. “What do you, think, Kent?”

Clark looked at her, unsure how to reply. He knew the truth and there was nothing miraculous about it- maybe out of this world, but not a miracle. But he could hardly tell her that. *Ms. Lane, actually it was me who saved the people. I just flew straight into the house.*Yeah, right. He wouldn’t end up dissected like a frog but immediately taken away by men in white coats, instead.

“Don’t you think that some things that happen to us are just a miracle?” he replied cautiously.

“Kent, this is not about belief, this is about knowledge. I think you’ve chosen the wrong job. Maybe you should re-educate to priest. Or are you catholic?” It was a rhetorical question, or at least Lois Lane wasn’t interested in his answer.

“Okay, so you want to investigate further. Any ideas where we should start investigating a *miracle*?” Clark shot back with anger in his voice.

“Easy, Kent. I bet that the guy who set fire to this building got a bad conscience and saved the people,” Lois said self-assuredly.

“Yeah, right, Ms. Lane. He walked directly through the flames in the hall without being seen by the fire fighters and then saved these people. Of course he doesn’t need to breathe and he can surely see through thick black smoke,” Clark replied dryly. He bit his lip. He was about to say too much, just because this woman made him angry. How could she have such an effect on him? He had met selfish people before and he had always been able to cope with them. Clark realized why he was feeling like this: because he liked the woman so much and underneath her bitchy surface she was certainly the most incredible person he had ever met. Well, she was the most incredible person he had ever met, apart from his daughter.

Lois looked at him now and her mouth gaped open. Obviously she wasn’t used to people disagreeing with her. “So what’s your idea, then?” She asked.

This was getting Clark nowhere he liked to be. “I don’t know,” he said defensively.

“Brilliant idea, Kent!” Lois snorted and quickly paced over to her car. Clark watched her with an uneasy expression on his face, unsure if she was taking him with her. “Come on, Kent, I don’t have time to waste staring into space.”

Clark sighed and followed her. This was going to be a long day. He was worried that Lois’ hunt for news on the fire would finally lead them to the policemen who had interviewed him on Friday evening. He should have known that someone of the Daily Planet would be assigned to the fire. But even in his worst nightmares he had not imagined that it would be him. Of course he was grateful for being able to supervise what others might find out about him, but this was dangerous.

“Where are we headed to?” Clark wanted to know. Better be safe than sorry.

“A source, Kent. I hope you’re not hungry!” Lois replied mysteriously.

Clark groaned inwardly and opened the passenger door of the car. Somewhere between breakfast and this moment he had made a huge mistake and he was paying for it now.

“You could be a bit more explicit, Ms. Lane,” he complained.

“And you could stick to your promise of listening and learning, Kent.”

“I never promised anything of the sort! I might not be as experienced as you are, Ms. Lane. But I’m not a fool and I sure as hell won’t let you treat me like one,” Clark stated firmly.

Lois looked at him, surprised. “Like I said, Kent, it was a rough week,” she said with a somewhat guilty look on her face.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean that you have the right to do anything. It’s not like my week has been especially wonderful. I moved, got everything in my apartment into place and will need to send Becca to school on Monday. She doesn’t want to go and I won’t be able to attend her first day in school. It was a rough week for me as well. But I’m not running around and taking my frustrations out on the people around me.” Clark shot back.

“Don’t bother me with those tiny little problems of yours, Kent. It’s not like you were in a burning apartment on Friday,” Lois disagreed. “My problems are way out of your league.”

Clark stopped himself just in time from replying that he had indeed been in a burning apartment. In two burning buildings to be precise. And whereas Lois had spent her Saturday in the caring hands of nurses, he had practically watched two people die. Their weekends were not comparable; in this respect Lois Lane was right. If he had been a normal man, he wouldn’t have stopped arguing now. He would have told Ms. Lane what he thought of her. But Clark knew that being controlled by anger was out of question for him. He only shot her a glance telling Lois that she could think whatever she wanted.

Lois obviously chose to abstain from any further argument and started the car. She still hadn’t told Clark who or where her source was. Clark very much wanted to punish Ms. Lane with stubborn silence. But there was this other, irrational part of him that was still interested in her. The friendly, caring Clark wanted to know how she felt right now. And he didn’t want to argue with this impressive woman. He wanted to make her notice him and like him. This Clark couldn’t remain silent after she had just told him about her terrible weekend.

“So tell me about your weekend,” this Clark asked gently, having completely forgotten about their previous argument. “How come you were in a burning apartment?”

“*My* burning apartment!” Lois corrected.

“That must have been rough. I’m glad that you’re okay,” Clark said sympathetically.

“It was. I was scared to death and I thought that I wouldn’t get out of the room. It was hot and there was smoke. I don’t even remember how I finally got out. The police said that I was found on the second floor. I don’t recall getting down there,” Lois mumbled thoughtfully. “This story is important to me, Kent. Now you know why.”

“Yes, now I know,” Clark repeated. It wasn’t exactly true, he had known from the very beginning.

“I’m sorry, Kent, I guess I’m behaving pretty badly.” Her sudden apology surprised Clark. “First with you and your daughter and now yet again.” She sighed.

“How about you call me Clark instead of Kent as a sign of reconciliation,” Clark offered. He held out his hand and Lois shook it.

“I’m Lois,” she said softly. “It was impressive how you made the fire fighter talk,” Lois added and glanced only briefly at him before she looked away. Her concentration was focused on the street again.

“Thanks,” Clark replied simply.

tbc...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool