Hi,

The last chapter, at last....

Chapter Twenty-two

The Power of Love

The afternoon sun spilled through the window of the townhouse on Hyperion Avenue, bathing those in the family room in its benign glow. Not for many years, had Lois, Clark and their three children spent a Saturday afternoon at home, but from the muted giggles from young Vicky, the more serious hushed tones of her sister, the steady soft snoring of Clark and the comfortable silences from Lois and Matthew, all members of the family were content to be together.

Lois frowned at the screen of her lap top as she high-lighted yet another mistake in a travel article for the Planet's Sunday edition. She hated editing non-news items, particularly badly written, long-winded ones. But it did mean she could work from home, while Perry, with Jimmy's help, dealt with the real editorial work of the newspaper; she refused to call The Planet a news-medium, which made it sound like some spooky supernatural publication. The Stern brother's instructions be damned!

With a grimace, she saved the offending article for the present and leaned back in her chair, moving into the full gleam of sunshine streaming in the window. Matt and Jimmy had rearranged the furniture a few years ago so a larger work desk could be moved into the house and the only spare space had been in front of the two windows. From her position, she looked over at her family, and a smile relaxed her face. It was time for a break from work. After all, she was working from home so she could spend time with Clark and her children.

Six days ago, as she'd waited in Metro General for Bernard to come and tell her that Clark had come through the surgery successfully, she would never have believed Clark would be back at home. Granted, two dressings still covered the surgical wounds and his hair was barely more than a dark stubble, but everyone was amazed by his progress. Not exactly super-healing, but definitely more enhanced than a normal human's and Bernie and the medical team had seen no reason to turn down Clark's pleas to recuperate at home.

But if Clark was healing physically, his memory was no better than before.

Silhouetted in the clear light, Lois's brow creased sadly and she swallowed a sigh. It broke her heart to see the frustration in the depths of his eyes, no matter how he tried to mask his feelings. He always had a grin and a cheerful word for his children and his parents, but sometimes he let his guard down in front of Lois... yet, while she was still grateful to be trusted with his doubts and insecurities, she found herself hiding her own worries for his sake. She'd truly believed she wouldn't care if his memory never returned, but now Lois admitted she hadn't been honest with herself. She wanted the return of the man she'd married all those years ago. Their shared past had forged the bond they had today... and their past had been beautiful. Clark deserved to remember his history.

Thankfully, the prognosis on Clark's amnesia wasn't totally bleak. All the doctors had assured him that the return of his memory could take time, and perhaps Lois would agonize less if he weren't so exhausted. She was used to Kryptonians being superfit and brimming with life... sometimes overly so. Yet, since the surgery, Clark spent a lot of his time sleeping. Bernie said she was fretting for nothing. Over the years, the scientist had deduced that injured Kryptonians had the ability to sleep soundly while their bodies recuperated. Clark was certainly dead to the world around him as he napped on the couch. He'd found his way there after lunch, as he had the day before, only this was a weekend and the kids were home.

Matt was sitting quietly in the armchair in the corner, catching up on some homework he'd fallen behind on while carrying out his super duties. This had been Lois' fear, but she had to admit that Matt's school work wasn't suffering. She was proud of her super son, though she still had to play the 'heavy' parent on occasion. Despite his abilities, Matt needed to be treated like a normal youngster... and Lois wasn't such a doting mother to believe her son was perfect.

A muffled shriek drew Lois' attention to the girls, who'd cleared a space between the two sofas where Sara was trying to teach Vicky some of her simpler gymnastic moves. Sara's grace seemed effortless while Vicky was still in the ungainly colt stage and she was giggling uncontrollably at her efforts to emulate her sister.

"Girls, shush! Your father is sleeping," Lois reminded her daughters. "If you can't be quiet, you should take your exercises upstairs. In fact, there really isn't much room there, perhaps you should...."

Lois' suggestion was cut off by the phone ringing and she reached to pick it up quickly, hoping Clark would not be disturbed. "Hello, Kent residence!"

"Lois? Is that you?"

The voice from the other end of the line was soft and lilting, and Lois had no difficulty in recognising her caller. After all, she only knew two Scottish people.

"It's Marge," said the voice, nevertheless.

"Marge! How nice to hear from you," Lois answered sincerely. She'd quickly grown to like this couple who had taken a very lonely vagabond into their family and made a home for him. "How's life in China? Are they beginning to repair the damage of the mudslide? Though I'm sure that's got to be a massive job."

"Massive, indeed," Marge agreed. "It'll be a long time before things are back to normal... if ever. They can never bring back the poor people who were lost, but the ones who are left are tough. They'll survive... and hopefully some lessons will be learned. Those loggers might be forced to obey the laws from now on!" Anger built in Marge's voice and Lois heard her take a deep, calming breath. "But don't get me started! Mac says I have a tendency to get on my soap box... and that's not what I phoned to talk about. Besides, Mac and I aren't in Jilin."

"You're not?" Lois was surprised. She'd only known the Macs for a very short while, yet she'd believed they were dedicated to the research centre.

"No. We're back in Scotland for now. Mac was helping with the clean up when he took a little 'turn'. Nothing serious, but he's not as young as he was. The Centre's administrators suggested we take some of our overdue leave, so here we are, back home for a rest. Actually, it's good to see the old country and to catch up with family and friends... but I didn't call to talk about that either. How is Clark?"

"Clark's good, settling back in pretty well. Though it is strange for him... which is only to be expected... and everyone is very happy to have him home, of course."

"Well, of course... and it's understandable that it's going to take him a while to get used to being home. Metropolis is a big city after our little back water. He's lived on his own for a long time, too," Marge said, kindly, feeling her way. "And the operation? Stephan was able to operate?"

"Yes. Clark had the surgery last week. He was discharged from the hospital the day before yesterday."

"Oh, my, that was quick."

For some seconds the line sizzled with the sound of silence, broken first by Marge. "And his amnesia? I'm taking it that maybe the surgery didn't go so well."

"Actually, Clark's recovering very well physically. Even his headaches seem to have gone," Lois said quickly, not wanting to worry the woman who'd obviously grown very fond of Clark. "Though he's sleeping a lot."

"That's a good sign. Isn't it?"

"Yes, that's what Bernard, our doctor, says." Again Lois sighed. "But so far his memory is no better... and, Marge, he's so disappointed." Lois turned away from her children to face the open window, keeping her voice hushed. At last, she let go of her worries, knowing she had a sympathetic ear. "Stephan and Adrienne told us we should be patient... that those chips were inside Clark's head for years and it will take time for his brain to recover... even from the surgery...."

"That does sound reasonable," Marge replied encouragingly. "I think it's much too early to start fearing the worst."

"I know... and I do try to stay positive and encourage Clark to have faith." Lois stared out the window at the world busily going by on the Avenue. "I just wish I could see a sign that they're right."

"I'll say a little prayer for you both. my dears. After all you and Clark have been through, you both deserve happier times, and I'm sure they're just around the corner." There was another pause, as if Marge was trying to decide whether to continue. "By the by, are our doctors still in Metropolis?"

"No, not anymore. They've gone to work with an aid agency in Africa, Doctors Without Borders. They've an idea that if they spend the rest of their lives doing good it might atone for the wrongs they committed. Personally, I'm not sure there's enough time in the world...."

"Well, I'm inclined to agree with you. Though I'm sure it's better working to help people than getting involved with another unscrupulous employer."

"I'll give you that, and it's much better than having them stay in Metropolis." Lois bit down on her lip and sat up a little straighter. "Listen to me! Marge, I sound like a crabby, ungrateful woman. I know they saved Clark's life, and I got to know them a little better while they were here. They're not bad people."

"In my experience, you don't need to be evil to do bad things. You just need to be weak and make some bad choices, and I'm sure Adrienne and Stephan fall into that category. Lets just be thankful they found the courage to do the right thing in the end. And, Lois, you're not crabby nor ungrateful, but you're probably under a lot of stress. You need to take care of yourself too."

"So my in-laws keep telling me." Lois concurred with a tiny grin.

"Good, they sound like sensible people."

"Oh, you'd like them, Marge."

"Maybe I'll get a chance to meet them and your lovely children sometime soon. Mac and I were thinking we might go back to China via Metropolis. But don't you worry we'll be dropping in on you any day now. Mac has to get the OK from his doctors before we can think of returning to the centre."

"That would be lovely. I know Clark would be so pleased to see you both again... and I would too. I'd like the chance to say a proper thank you for all you did for him."

"Thank you, dear, but it was our pleasure to help Clark." Lois was sure Marge was smiling. "Now I really should go. Mac keeps tapping his watch here. I'm sorry to say he's a typical canny Scott when it comes to counting the pennies. You have no idea how shocked he is by the cost of living in the old country these days!" A laugh tinkled down the line. "He sends his love to you and Clark... and give your family our best wishes too."

"Bye, Marge. Thank you for calling... and remember you're welcome here anytime."

"I will. Bye, bye... and, Lois, my dear, you keep on looking for that sign.... You'll find it soon."

There was a click of the phone being replaced on its cradle on the other end of the line, yet for some moments, Lois sat very still. "Yes, Marge," she whispered to the blue sky above her. Slowly, she put down her own phone and turned to face the centre of the room, in time to see Vicky launch herself into a handstand. The young girl swayed vertically for some precarious seconds, then her feet inched too far over her point of balance. With a scream, she tumbled down, twisting herself sideways to avoid falling flat on her back. Yet her momentum carried her directly into her father's body, from where she slid onto the cushions and finally to the floor.

The moment Lois saw Vicky start to fall, she was up and running, but she halted, momentarily, watching in horror as Vicky collided with Clark. Oh, my god, were either of them hurt? She continued on to the scene of the accident, but some of her worries were relieved when Clark sat up, somewhat startled.

"What was that?" Clark demanded, groggily, his hand automatically going to rifle through his buzz-cut hair.

Vicky climbed to her knees, seemingly no worse for wear. "I'm sorry, Daddy. That was me. I was practicing a handstand... and I fell on top of you. I'm not very good, yet," she admitted with a gamin grin.

Clark returned her smile, her face barely level with his own. "That's OK, Princess Tory. No damage done." He yawned and leaned back on his elbows, almost settling back to sleep when he realized his wife and kids were staring at him. "What's up? I'm not bleeding, am I?" He padded his bandages while he scanned his body, but could see no wounds nor feel any extra aches and pains.

"What did you call me?" Vicky demanded, accepting her elder sister's hand to get back on her feet. "Daddy! What did you say?"

"You mean Princess Tory?" Clark said, looking bewildered, his hand involuntarily returning to rubb at the edge of his gauze dressing.

"Yes, Dad," Matt replied, joining the group by the couch. "But you haven't said that since you came home."

"Huh?" Clark was still puzzled, unnerved by the four startled faces which studied him so intently.

Eventually Lois found her voice. "Matt's right. You never remembered your pet name for Vicky before." She sat down on the edge of the couch, careful not to jostle Clark any further, but her hand caught his fingers. "Don't scratch, Clark.... Did it come back to you? Can you remember anything else?" She tried not to sound too desperate in her questioning.

"The name popped into my head. It just seemed right." Clark explained, his brow wrinkling as he tried to concentrate, while his free hand brushed over Vicky's fair hair. He started to speak slowly. "I called you Princess Tory because you were always asking me to read you a story. You refused to go to sleep until I read to you. I think Fairy Tales were your favorites... but I suspect you've outgrown those."

Vicky clapped her hands, whilst she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet. "See! You've got your memory back!"

"I'm not exactly sure about that, Vicky...." Suddenly, Clark's head swung towards the sliding doors into the dining room. "Matt was the baby left in the bassinet in the dining room...." He stared at his tall son, light dawning in his eyes. He'd remembered Matt's origins too.

"That's right!" Lois interrupted his train of thought, shaking her head and frantically eyeing Vicky, reminding Clark that his youngest daughter wasn't in on the secret. Clark immediately looked crestfallen, and Lois tried to cover his slip up. "We used your old bassinet in the dining room. When Matt first came along, we took turns to work from home. Of course, I didn't have the bigger desk back then." Lois ended weakly, yet she hadn't exactly lied. Thankfully, Vicky was so thrilled by her father remembering her nickname that she was oblivious to her parents' surreptitious exchange.

"What about anything else, Dad?" Sara asked, hoping to direct the conversation on to a less dangerous topic.

"I think so." Clark looked up at his other daughter and another picture invaded his mind... only this time, not a fleeting shadow but a brighter Technicolor vision. "A much smaller you in a pink leotard... and crying."

"Oh, that was my first contest. I was scared," Sara explained, smiling.

"And you didn't think you were 'pretty in pink', as I recall." Clark was laughing now, his confidence growing.

"That leotard was horrible... with its pink sequins and frills," Sara groaned and continued the tale. "I thought I looked like the Christmas fairy, but you made me feel better. You told me I would look great in any color... which I know isn't true now. You just said it to make me less nervous."

"Isn't that what dads do?" Clark inquired, his smile wide, his brown eyes twinkling.

Sara bent and wrapped her arms round her father's neck. "Oh, Daddy. I've missed you so much."

"Don't disagree with your father!" Clark teased gently. "I happen to think my girls would look good in anything." He returned Sara's hug and opened his other arm to Vicky, who wasted no time in casting herself onto his chest. "I'm not sure that I remember everything yet, but I know enough to know how much I've missed you both. You too, son."

Clark's glance lifted to include Matt, who was grinning broadly, then moved down to Lois. He was surprised to see the sheen of tears bright in her eyes, then he realized he too was crying. Letting his heavy eyelids close, he held on tight to his daughters and enjoyed the moment.

Lois dashed a hand across her face, futilely trying to dry her tears. She stood up slowly, making room for her children to gather about their father who at last had a memory of each of them. Her gaze shifted to the heavens, whispering to any deity who might be listening. "Thank you. Thank you."

She'd found the sign.

Clark lay back on his pillow, one arm still cradling Lois, while he slipped his free hand behind his head, his fingers tangling in his hairline. Over the past few weeks, his hair had regrown, still short, but thick and luxuriant, and, almost mirroring his hair growth, had come the general awareness of his past. Slowly, the memories had reformed in his mind, like old fashioned negatives morphing into colorful images. Not every detail, perhaps, but definitely the important happenings in his life. His growing up in Smallville with the best parents he could ever have; his traveling the globe while he searched for his focus, and most importantly, the day his little tornado had stormed into Perry White's office and into his world, changing it forever.

A wondrous smile spread across his face as he turned to the woman at his side. At last, Lois and he had made incredible, fulfilling love. Together they had rekindled the fire, recommitted their bodies each to the other, forging again the bonds that had withstood enforced years of separation and traumatic mind games; a special connection that he knew now could never be rent asunder. Joy danced along every nerve-ending, filling him with an appreciation he had long forgotten.

His gaze softened while he relived the moments of the night. She had been understanding and tender... demanding and passionate... and always gloriously sexy. Almost imperceptibly, his head moved back and forth, amazed that he had held out so long since his return.

Lois stretched her hand out to him, as she spoke quietly, proving that she could read him like no other could. "Don't. It was my choice too...."

"Oh, Lois," he said, covering the hand that cupped his cheek. "I don't know why it was so important to me, but I wanted it to be 'me' who made love to you again... not a shadow of myself. If I'd known how it would be, I would never have waited."

"Wasn't it worth the wait?" she teased, pointedly touching the tracks of his tears.

"Yes, sweetheart. I seem to be doing a lot of crying these days, but these are tears of joy." He raised up on one elbow. "I can't believe I did something so right in my life that I found you a second time."

"Don't you remember? We're soulmates... nothing can keep us apart."

"I believe... I do believe you are the other half of my soul."

He leaned forward and caressed her lips with his own one more time, then watched Lois smile in sleepy response. Her eyelids fluttered close as she replied on a sigh.

"The best part of your soul...."

Lois slept, and he couldn't blame her. They'd consummated their love a number of times this night... which was no mean feat for a couple of forty-something year olds. Yet the excitement that coursed through his veins as a result would not let him rest. Leaning over, he pressed a kiss to Lois' smooth brow, then climbed out of bed, replacing the quilt carefully round her shoulders. He watched with a tender smile as Lois snuggled beneath the quilt, pulling his pillow into her embrace, as if in sleep she still sought the comfort of his lingering warmth.

Quietly, he left the room and headed for the kitchen. The house was silent and dark, but he made his way, his touch instinctive, down the stairs. In their respective rooms, his daughters breathed gently in sleep, though his lack of super-powers meant he couldn't hear them. Yet he knew they were safe, just as he was aware his son was not in the house. Matt was probably flying a patrol above Metropolis and Clark hoped, as every father does, that his son wouldn't stay out too late or meet up with too much trouble.

Clark laughed at the irony, while he opened the fridge door to find a carton of juice. Most father's didn't have to worry about their sons facing quite the same problems as Matt might encounter, but Clark had faith in his son. After all, Matt's genes were an amalgam of a superman and the most brilliant woman in the world. Of course, he might be a trifle biased when it came to Lois, but taking into account all the challenges she'd experienced in life and come through undaunted, he thought his opinion was justified.

Taking a swig from the carton, he also decided he might be justified in checking in with his only son. He stretched out with his mind... searching for a connection. His powers might not have returned, but his senses had sharpened steadily since the chips had been removed from his brain. All things considered, life was more than satisfying, so perhaps it was time to discover if another of his abilities had been stolen from him by the toxic kryptonite....

On the Pacific Ocean floor, far beyond the eyes of men and super men, nature tolled a death knell. Sound-waves keened, far above the range of human ears, earth rumbled and cracked as great Teutonic plates slid and ground one against the other, a giant's cauldron, roiling the waters above. Catastrophe ensued, churning the sea into monstrous tides which rushed outwards from the epicentre towards many shores.

Such an occurrence was not unknown; the last time had happened a few years earlier, only a few months after Superman had gone missing. Without the superhero to help them, the death toll had risen into countless thousands. Confronted by such horror and realising they were now on their own, the people of the world had been shocked into action, promising that no such disaster would ever catch them unawares again. An early warning system had been planned, but, unfortunately, the countries most directly involved were too poor and had not the collective will to put such a scheme in place, and the rest of the world were too busy pursuing their own agenda to do more than talk. Besides, such huge calamities happened rarely. What chance was there that lightening would strike twice within so short a period? They had time enough.

Yet chance is a fickle master and mother nature ignored the platitudes of the humans who lived on the crust of her world. Without adhering to the scientists' assumed pattern, another underwater earthquake struck and once again the massive ripples threatened the existence of those caught in their path.

Jor-El hung in the clear blue sky above, mesmerized by the force of the waters beneath him. By the time he'd picked up the Maydays from a couple of ships in the area and sped to their source, it was already much too late. The surging seas stretched on and on in a length that far outdid his powers of prevention. What was he supposed to do? If he rescued those in most peril, then surely others would be swept away by the tsunami's torrent. Superpowered he might be, but he was only one being. Some disasters were too big even for his capabilities.

An empty feeling of inadequacy froze his thoughts, just as it had on the night of the mudslide in China where he had found his father... and suddenly, just as it had then, composure seeped into his mind. A soft, empathetic voice of authority echoed in his head....

"Matt... Matt... Can you hear me?" his father asked silently.

"Dad? Is that you?" Matt replied, experimentally forgoing the medium of speech. This must be that telepathy thing his mother had told him about. With all the worry about Dad's surgery and his recuperation, they'd never really gotten to try it out.

"Yes, son. We're talking telepathically. I hoped it might work. It's a Kryptonian thing...."

"Wow! Mom mentioned something about it when I flew her home from China, but it's kinda a long story...."

"I should have known your mother would be on to it, though I think we need to leave explanations till later. Matt, I can see great heaving oceans beneath you."

"You can? Dad, it's terrible. How did you know? There are giant waves spreading everywhere and so many islands are lying in their path...."

"I picked up on your distress and I think I'm seeing everything through your eyes," Clark said, awe echoing in his words. "I thought I might be able to read your thoughts, but this is so much more. Son, there's no time to discuss this.... Speed is important here. It's a tsunami and I once handled something like this. You have to displace the water big time... and you have to do it fast. Matt, dig a trench in the ocean floor... as wide and deep and as long as you can. It might not stop the wave completely, but maybe you can rob it of some of its killing power."

From the second Matt heard his father say dig, he was already in motion, diving for the surface, plunging into the depths until he reached the ocean bed. But still he did not stop. The black clad boy stretched out his arms, his hands forming into claws, making of himself the strongest, speediest torpedo the world and perhaps the universe would ever know. Time seemed to stand still as a great ditch formed in his wake as he powered his way through the sand and rock that made up the hidden floor. Above him, almost imperceptibly at first, the rushing waters slowed. The surging tides turned in on themselves while the deeper eddying currents found another, safer path to take.

The country nearest the underwater quake would still experience unusually high tides, and some structural damage was unavoidable, perhaps even some injuries and deaths, but hopefully, Jor-El would be able to rescue those in immediate jeopardy. Inside his mind, Matt could hear his father's reassurances that what he could do would be enough... that he'd already done more than was super-humanely possible to avert unbelievable destruction.

And his dad had been right. Jor-El spent time rescuing fishermen whose boats had been threatened by the turbulent seas; carrying holidaymakers who'd been sunbathing, unsuspectingly, on a beach and some locals who lived close to the shore. Yet, not surprisingly, there were those who remembered the signs from the previous disaster and had alerted others and the emergency services. Warnings had also been passed to other lands lying in the path of the wave, enabling their local governments to evacuate the threatened areas. Much sooner than he'd anticipated and with a heart brimming with relief, Jor-El was able to leave the area and fly home.

Approaching Metropolis, Matt flew into the dim gleam of reflected light from the great city, angling his flight path towards the brownstone on Hyperion Avenue where his father was still awake. During his return flight, he and his dad had carried on a casual, though spasmodic conversation, and Matt had also noted that, apart from the original advice on the tsunami, Dad hadn't interfered with the more normal rescues, unless asked for his opinion. It gave Matt a sense of accomplishment to know his father trusted his actions. Still, Matt deduced his father was waiting up for him and he looked forward to swapping experiences with the original Superman.

He zoomed in on his street and the surrounding houses, checking to see if the coast was clear, but at this time of the night, all was quiet, except for the next door neighbour's cat, Sparky, who seemed to enjoy stalking the neighbourhood in the dark. If only cats could talk, the family's big secret would be exposed. The thought of 'Sparky's Confessions' showing up in the Dirt Digger made him chuckle and, dropping quickly from the sky, he entered through the patio doors of the dining room. His dad was in the kitchen, with two cups of steaming hot chocolate sitting before him on the table.

"Hi, Matt," Clark said. "Why don't you pull up a chair and relax. This is your mother's chocolate and mint blend; it's pretty good." He blew on the liquid in his cup and took another experimental sip. "Yup. Your mother always had good taste in chocolate."

Doing as he was told, Matt shoved his cowl back off his head and sat opposite his father. He sampled the drink, then sent his father a speculative glance. The chocolate was pretty hot even for his tongue and yet his dad seemed to be drinking it without any discomfort. Was Dad's invulnerability coming back? But before he could reflect further, Clark spoke up.

"So, how did things go with the aftermath of the tsunami?"

"Pretty well, Dad." Matt nodded his head in the affirmative. They'd chosen not to talk about the rescue on the way home, but it was obvious that his Dad was a little worried about him, though he was doing his best to appear cool. "It was good. No fatalities and most of the injuries were minor, but it could have been very different if it hadn't been for your intervention. Thanks for the advice. I was completely frozen when I saw that gigantic wave and I didn't have a clue what to do."

"No problem, son. I'm sure you would have worked it out, and I only knew what to do because I'd come up against that before in Metropolis."

"Metropolis? No kidding!"

"Oh, it was years ago. Not long after I first put on the suit, and, as usual, it was the result of Lex Luthor's machinations. He was after some arms contract." Clark stared into dark liquid in his mug, marveling that he could now recall past events fairly easily. "Your mother was almost caught in the floods, so I guess I had an added incentive to figure out what to do." His hands fisted on the table, but he was smiling. "She had a knack for getting herself into scrapes back in these days. I have to tell you she kept Superman pretty busy."

"I guess Superman was the only person who could keep up with her." The two shared a silent grin of admiration for the main woman in their life. "But you know, Dad, I'm not sure I would have worked it out... at least, not in time to stop the wave crashing into those islands."

Clark swallowed some more chocolate as Matt waited with bated breath for a sign that his father had burnt his mouth, but it never came. "Matt, you shouldn't put yourself down. I was a good ten years older than you before I became Superman. Not to mention I'd done a lot of world traveling. I'd actually seen a couple of smaller tidal waves before that one in Metropolis, so I kinda had a head start. It seems to me Jor-El does pretty well on his own, son."

Matt blushed furiously, but was thrilled, nevertheless, by his father's praise. "Thanks, Dad. But, you know, I think we could make a good team," Matt said, voicing the idea that had come to him on his return journey.

At his son's surprise suggestion, Clark sat back in his chair, his shoulders hunched and regret bleeding into his dark eyes. "I wish we could. But I'm just not super anymore. I'd be a liability."

A gasp of shocked laughter broke from Matt's mouth. "You are kidding, Dad? Aren't you? How could you be a liability?" Matt rifled his already tousled hair; the cowl played havoc with his dark locks. "You were the one who told me what to do and kept me going during that mudslide in Jilin... and you did the same again tonight. The run-of-the mill stuff is easy, but I'm always coming up against the unexpected and that scares me sometimes. I mean, what if I make a mistake... like with that tsunami."

"You didn't make a mistake."

"No, but only because of you! I've made other mistakes before, though never anything too disastrous."

"Superheros aren't infallible, Matt. I know I wasn't. But you do the best you can... and you do make a difference, son."

"See! You're the only one who really understands what it's like. If I told Mom about my insecurities, she'd ground me. That's why I need you."

"No you don't." Clark ducked his head and refused to meet his son's incredulous stare, allowing himself to wallow in a short bout of self-pity. "From what I can gather, you've been doing just fine these past months."

"OK, so I have been doing OK, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't use the help, or give you any excuse to withhold it." Matt's voice rose a little in anger. He was using his instincts here, fairly certain that this would be his mother's approach to dealing with Superman's show of depression. "What's the point of me going it alone when I can have your experience to back me up?"

And it seemed Matt's tactics were working as Clark glanced up with a crooked smile. "Have you been taking lessons from your mother on how to shoot me down when I obsess?"

"Hey, I'm a superhero. Lois Lane and Clark Kent are my parents. You should only expect the best," Matt teased, glad to see the gleam had returned to his Dad's eyes. "Seriously, Dad, don't you think we could work together. I mean, it's not like you have to be there. We can use this telepathy thing, and you said you could see what I was seeing, so it would be like you were with me. Please. It sure would mean a lot to me."

Clark was still staring at his son, but his gaze was now a mixture of pride and gratitude. He'd begun this conversation with the intention of assuring Matt about his role as a superhero, yet he'd been the one reassured. "And it would mean a lot to me too. But you're wrong about your mother; she does understand and she'd never stop you being all you can be...." However, Clark allowed that subject to drop when the thought occurred to him that perhaps being mother to a super hero was different than being married to one. He'd have to ask Lois later. "She and I were lucky to get you, Matt. How did you get to be so wise so young?"

"Well, if you must know, Grandma and Mom both say I take after you...."

"I think there's a lot of your mom in there too."

"That's what I just told you." Matt announced, leaning over the table. "So do we have a deal? Partners?" He stretched his hand out for his dad to shake and waited.

Staring at his son's hand, Clark could only wonder about his good fortune. Gone was his self-doubt about his lack of superpowers. Lois would have no time for it anyway, and he recognized that, despite his tendency to obsess on occasion, he was an optimist at heart. Besides, there was so much to be grateful for in his life. A wife who loved him; kids who needed his care; parents to appreciate... and he still had a job to do. Two jobs, since Perry had been making noises about his return to work at the Daily Planet, whenever he felt comfortable.

Without further hesitation he took Matt's hand. "I think I like the sound of that deal."

They shook hands, but neither was content with the contact and seconds later they were hugging and backslapping each other, till Matt drew away. "Dad, how about we celebrate by going flying?" The quick surge of pleasure in his father's eyes didn't exactly surprise Matt, yet the pain which seemed to accompany the happiness left him unsure. "I know it's not the same... but you didn't seem to mind the flight back from Jilin."

"I had other things on my mind then." Clark shrugged ruefully, but he was tempted to take up Matt's offer. Now he had his memory back, he knew flying was the one superpower he missed above all others.

"Come on!" Matt said encouragingly. "Mom loves to fly, even if she can't do it under her own steam." With sudden insight, Matt decided his father might not want to be carried in his arms. That position could be pretty intimidating, especially for a man who was once Superman. "I'd prefer not to carry you though, Dad. You're not exactly a light weight like Mom, and you're bigger. Why don't we just hold each other's arms?"

"One thing I've noticed. You've got your Grandma Martha's tact." Clark laughed. "OK. I think I'd like to go flying."

Clark stepped to Matt's right side and, after a moment or two of working out the method which would make both comfortable, the two Kryptonian males, one full-blooded, the other a hybrid, took to the skies, arm in arm. They hovered over the house, allowing Clark to become accustomed once more to the sight of seeing the world from a bird's eye view. Slowly they began to soar above Metropolis towards the eastern seaboard, Matt wishing to distance himself from the city and its demands on his time. Tonight belonged to him and Dad.

They followed the coastline for many miles south, covering the area more slowly than either would have done on superhero's duties. Clark's arm, which had clung tightly to Jor-El when they'd first ascended, lost its tension, and he found himself glorying in the freedom of escaping the bonds of gravity. Clark's senses hungrily absorbed the muted sounds of the night which reached him from below, the cleansing smell of the ozone from the waters battling the earthy smell of the land and, lastly, the beauty of the stars sparkling aloofly in their firmament. All amazed him anew. He'd forgotten the wonders of this world to which he'd been sent; the warmth of being part of its great community... and for some time he was unaware of anyone or anything outside his own musings.

But Matt was paying close attention to his father and had realized that Clark had grown almost weightless, to the extent that Matt was merely guiding and not carrying his passenger. Taking a chance, Matt removed his arm carefully from Clark's, yet staying alert for any sign that his dad was falling. He need not have worried. Their forward momentum stopped, but both remained in the air.

"Dad," Matt said gently, not wanting to startle his father. "Look! You're floating."

Awaking from his meditation, Clark suddenly became conscious of his position. His stare shot to his son's laughing eyes before he plummeted towards the ground. Immediately, Matt caught him.

"Matt. I can do without the experiments, thank you!"

"Why? You were floating. Believe me, I'm barely holding you aloft. I know. I've carried quite a lot of people now. Enough to recognize that this is different. Maybe your powers are coming back, Dad."

"No, Matt. I seriously doubt that." Clark shook his head emphatically. "I've tried.... I try every day and nothing works."

"I don't agree." Matt was shaking his head with just as much conviction. "Telepathy works."

"I was never sure that was a superpower. It was something Kryptonians could do without the benefit of a yellow sun."

"Well, after the surgery, Uncle Bernie says you healed pretty quick for a normal human."

"Not superspeed, though." Clark said dismissively.

"Floating works."

"Matt, I just fell."

"I've fallen from floating before. I float in my sleep and, just like you, I fell when I realized I was doing it."

"Yes, well I wasn't sleeping." Clark was determined not to listen to Matt's theory.

"But you were daydreaming. Come on, Dad. Work with me here. Lets try it again," Matt pleaded. "I promise I'll catch you before you hit the ground. And anyway, we're over the sea. It'll be a softer landing."

"Hah! That is so comforting, Matt."

Matt's hands tightened on his father's arms. "Please. Just try. I won't let you get hurt. Mom would kill me."

"I'm not afraid of being hurt. I know you'll catch me." Clark lifted his head to the heavens. His voice was quiet when he finally spoke. "I'm afraid I'll fail. I don't want to lose hope that maybe someday...." The words died unspoken, but his son was not about to let him return to despair.

"Didn't you once tell Mom that taking a chance was what you two were all about?" Matt asked sharply, forcing his father to look at him.

"Your mother told you that?"

"Mom told us lots of things about you when you were gone. She wanted us to know you," Matt said more mildly. "You're back, Dad. Maybe not all the way with the powers, but in every way that counts."

In response to Matt's conclusion, Clark's cheeks paled, but something strong stirred inside him. Matt believed in him... looked up to him; had taken up Superman's mantle when Clark was no longer able to fight for truth and justice. Clark couldn't let his son down. Falling was the easier option. "OK. How are we going to do this?"

"Take my hands," Matt announced, deepening his voice.

The change in tone didn't surprise Clark; he'd changed his inflection too while in the suit. Wordlessly, he joined hands with his son and watched as Matt drifted backwards till their arms were outstretched.

"Don't look down!" Matt instructed again, dropping one of his father's hands. Seconds passed, while both adapted to the tenuous link. Matt locked his gaze with Clark's and let go, holding himself ready to go to the rescue.

Momentarily, Clark bounced in the air like a swimmer treading water, then he gained some control, floating gently on the updraught. He smiled over at Matt and, for the second time this night, elation filled him. Throwing his head back, Clark laughed jubilantly to the world at large... which was a mistake. His concentration gone, he dropped like a stone, but Matt's safe hands were there to halt his plunge. Yet failure couldn't dampen either Clark's or Matt's spirits. Nothing could change the fact that, for a few minutes, Clark had floated.

Safely anchored to Jor-El's arm again, Clark said contentedly, "That wasn't bad for a first try, though I could have done without the last bit." A chuckle bubbled past his lips. "But I think I've had enough excitement for one night. Besides, your mother's awake and she's looking for us."

"You can hear her?"

"No. My superhearing is definitely not back... but I can sense her, and I know she wants us home. Come on, Matt."

With perfect accord, the Kents turned towards Metropolis, Jor-El flying faster than on the outward journey, while the ocean and earth passed beneath them in a blur. Soon they were walking through the darkened house into the living room where they found Lois, standing by the windows, searching the sky. The glow from the street lamps surrounded her like a silver halo, and Clark's heart missed a beat in memory. It had been the sight of Lois standing in the full ray of sunlight from those very windows that had attracted him to the brownstone so many years ago... and still the vision moved him.

At the sound of their footsteps, Lois swung round and took a few steps forward till she came to rest beside the couch. The silken swish of Lois' robe as she moved across the floor had sent Clark's temperature rising and she gloried in his heated gaze, but now was not the time to explore their rekindled love life. Clearly, Matt had something exciting to tell her, so she folded her arms across her chest calmly and waited.

Oblivious to the sexual tension between his parents, Matt switched on the overhead lights and collapsed onto the couch. "Sorry I'm late home, Mom, but there was a tsunami over in the Philippines that needed sorting out," he said, sounding like any other teenager sneaking in from a long night out. "Then Dad was waiting for me when I got back, so I thought he might like to go flying."

Lois nodded her head understandingly. Actually, she'd been wondering how long it would take for Matt to offer Clark a flight. "Good. Fathers and sons ought to do things together. Mind you, I was thinking of a spot of fishing, or going to a ball game. But flying is good too, I guess," she added, a little blase now at the fact that her family's recreational pursuits should include flying without the benefit of airplanes. "Did you enjoy it, Clark?"

"Oh, yes. It was terrific, Lois" Clark closed in on his wife, his eyes still dancing with appreciation of how lovely she looked in her burgundy coloured robe, her hair tumbled in curls. Clearly, Lois hadn't been awake for long. "Almost as good as something else I rediscovered tonight...."

"Clark, don't!" Lois cried, sounding a warning, as she glanced towards her seated son. Yet she was unable to hide her sultry grin while she playfully slapped Clark's chest.

"My lips are sealed!" Clark laughed, rubbing the spot above his heart where Lois' touch had sent tingles anew along his sensitive skin. He slipped his arm around her back. "But it's true," he added, for her ears only, then said aloud. "Seriously, flying was wonderful, and I thank you for taking me, Matt."

Ignoring the teasing exchange between his parents, Matt twisted to face them. "Mom, it was amazing. Dad floated!"

Lois' expressive eyebrows rose, betraying her shock as she glanced between her son and her husband. "He did? You did?" Even her voice sounded slightly high pitched.

"Well, yes. But only for a very short time," Clark explained quickly. "Then I lost altitude... actually I fell and if Matt hadn't been there I'd have gone for a swim."

"You took your dad out over the water?" Lois turned her attention back to Matt.

"We just did a general tour, Mom. And over the ocean was the best place to test floating. It's not so hard as the ground."

"Perhaps not for people who are invulnerable... and it depends on how high you were." Lois placed her hands on her hips as she interrogated her son. "I'm assuming you were pretty high."

"I suppose...." Matt stammered, wondering why his mother wasn't treating this information with as much enthusiasm as he'd expected.

"Lois, give Matt a break. We didn't start out with the intention of testing my powers. The floating was something Matt noticed while we were flying around. I didn't even realize I was doing it at first... it just happened."

Lois couldn't ignore the delight that filled Clark's voice, nor dismiss the happiness she saw shining in his eyes. In fact, she was pleased for him, but Bernard had been fairly certain that the powers would never return.... Yet Bernie had been wrong before. If only... but she wouldn't go there. Clark would be so dejected to be let down yet again.

"Lois?" Clark asked, unsure of her reaction. "Is anything wrong?"

Indecision flashed in her eyes, then disappeared completely. As always, Lois would support whatever made Clark feel good about himself. "No, no. Of course not. Honey, I'm happy for you... really, I am." But that didn't mean she couldn't add a word of caution. She moved one of her hands to his shoulder and patted it gently. "Floating is good, and it might mean your powers will come back to some degree... but perhaps not all the way."

Clark gazed down on Lois with a brilliant smile, then placed a kiss on her brow, smoothing away the worry lines that had appeared with this conversation. "I know, honey. I can't deny I've been hoping for some improvement... but, to tell the truth, I wasn't expecting even this much. So don't worry about me; I regard floating as a bonus."

"I'm sorry, Clark," Lois whispered, the sound of her heartache echoing in her voice.

"Never be sorry for me," Clark said, his arm pulling Lois tight against his body, while his other hand stretched out to ruffle his son's hair. "I have everything I need. Almost losing everyone and everything I love just makes me appreciate them more. Tonight I realized that I'm the luckiest guy in the world." Lois had turned her face up to Clark and he couldn't resist dropping a kiss on her beautiful lips... lips that were now smiling warmly in understanding. Where else in this world, or any other, could he find such acceptance and such comfort? "I love you, Lois," he whispered against her mouth.

"Oh, boy!" Came the not so subtle voice from beneath them on the couch. "Remember your son is in the room, will you?"

Clark drew back laughing. "OK. Your mom and I should take this upstairs." But his future plans were somewhat dampened by a huge yawn splitting his face. "You know, I think I'm beat."

"Uh-huh! Testing superpowers will do that to a guy," Lois countered, grinning back. "Come on, 'old man'. Time for bed."

Lois and Clark headed towards the stairs and as they began to climb, Clark spoke over his shoulder. "Go to bed, Matt. You have school in the morning and you should try to a few hours sleep, at least. Otherwise you'll be falling asleep in the class."

Matt floated off the couch, switched the lights off at superspeed and followed his parents up the stairs. "Hey, Dad, you're getting to sound just like Mom," he stated in mock complaint.

"I am? You know, son, I don't see that as a bad thing...." Clark replied as the sound of three voices laughing in harmony drifted down into the empty room.

The End