Here she goes, Lois, as we all know her. cool
I had a lot of fun writing this and I hope you'll enjoy reading.

From Part 5:

Right at this moment, Clark heard sirens and cries. He focused on the noise and was able to listen to the police radio. Policemen and firefighters informed each other about a burning building in the suburbs of Metropolis. The fire was difficult to control and apparently there were still people trapped by the fire. Clark’s stomach felt burning as well. He glanced at Becca and his parents who had an interesting conversation with each other. They hadn’t noticed his distracted air. Clark felt the urge to help those people, but what was he going to tell Becca? She wouldn’t understand that he would risk exposing himself. And to be honest he couldn’t really justify it himself. But there were people trapped and they were going to die if it wasn’t for him to save them. What would they say if they could hear his doubts right now? A quick shot of laser vision destroyed the light in the living room. Clark had made his decision.

“I’ve forgotten to buy light bulbs,” Clark muttered, grabbed his coat and left the apartment.

Part 6

It was almost dark, but the last bits of sunlight sufficed as a threat for Clark. He had to use his powers carefully. How would he get to the suburbs? He couldn’t run because the wind he would create couldn’t be explained by a strange weather phenomenon. Flying was the appropriate alternative, but that had its downsides as well. Clark hurried over to the alley behind his apartment building and looked around. No one seemed to be watching him, not even Becca or his parents. He took off to the skies as fast as possible. The clothing wasn’t the best he could have chosen and Clark hoped that it wouldn’t be damaged afterwards.

From below, people would only notice a grey shadow flying across the sky if they happened to look up. Seconds later, Clark had reached the suburbs and saw the burning hotel. Firefighters were all around the building and some of them were trying to get inside, but unfortunately there was fire in the foyer. Some windows were broken because of the heat and Clark used one of them to get inside.

Again he faced the darkness of the thick, black, suffocating smoke. He felt helpless against the force of this fire since it blocked his vision completely. Clark hadn’t been in a lot of burning buildings but he noticed that it wasn’t something he could get accustomed to. It was hot, even for him. He tried to forget about his own fear and focused on the people. He had used heartbeats once to find victims and he could do it again. On his way through the fire Clark extinguished smaller fire sources. Whenever he found people who were coughing and trying to get out, Clark cleared a way for them into rooms that hadn’t yet caught fire.

He had to be careful because he couldn’t afford to be seen by anyone and therefore his progress was awfully slow. Some people managed to escape through the windows of the first floor and the firefighters probably did the most to save them. Despite Clark’s efforts to get the people out, he couldn’t save two of them. When he found them he didn’t hear their heartbeats anymore and Clark knew that even more would die if he didn’t walk on. But it got more difficult to continue and Clark felt absolutely useless. If he had only had the courage to show up openly, he would have saved all people and a lot quicker. Clark asked himself why he had come to help in the first place. He had failed in saving those to people as much as he had failed years ago when Lily had died.

The firefighters considered it a miracle that so many people had escaped the flames. It made them sad that they hadn’t managed to save all, but they were glad that so few people had died this evening. They lacked any explanation and so thanked the Lord for this miracle. But Clark didn’t notice anything of this and even if he had he wouldn’t have agreed. He was completely devastated when he returned home.

“Where have you been, Clark?” his mother asked, when he entered the apartment. She didn’t even need to look at him to see that he hadn’t brought light bulbs. But from the moment he had said it she had known that it hadn’t been the reason for his departure. “Clark Jerome Kent, who told you that lying was okay?” She sounded rather angry. Clark didn’t even try to look guilty; his expression was just blank or maybe showed sheer despair. It was hard to tell and Martha forgot about admonishing her son.

“I’m sorry, mom.” Clark muttered and went over to the sofa. He sank down and sighed heavily. “I’m starting to think that coming to Metropolis was a mistake. I can’t go on that way. I hear so many cries and there is almost nothing I can do about it. It kills me to be able to help but be unable to go and do it.” Clark buried his face in his hands.

A small hand was touching him, stroking him lightly. Rebecca didn’t say anything; she just stroked his hands and back. Clark felt that she climbed onto the sofa. He pulled her into an embrace and held her tightly. Her presence was enough to soothe him a bit. He wondered what he would do without her.

“I wouldn’t mind if we had to move once again,” she said softly.

“Oh, Becca, honey,” Clark whispered, emotionally. “I promised you to stay here and I will find a way. I don’t know how, but I will.”

“I understand that you want to help people, daddy, I really do,” Becca answered.

“I’m sorry that I lied to you, Becca, honey. That was stupid, really stupid,” Clark murmured into her hair.

Clark had only eyes for the little girl in his arms. He didn’t see his parents glancing at each other, not sure what to say. They had been about to argue with him, to call him irresponsible. And they would have been right. Clark knew that. It would have been the worst argument they had ever had and Clark could hardly imagine how angry his mother had been. He hadn’t left Becca alone, but he had once again put his secret at stage. Martha had spent years hoping to have a child, but in vain. To her, children were the most precious gift in the whole world and she would never allow anyone to hurt a child. But she did not only consider Becca as the child in this relationship, she was just as protective of Clark as he was of her and it killed her to see how much he suffered from hiding.

“We will find a way,” Martha stated and sat down next to Clark and Becca. “We will find a way to make both of you happy.” Martha kissed Becca and then Clark.

“But how, Martha?” Jonathan asked. “How do you think could Clark use his powers to help people? They would never leave him alone, if the world found out about him.”

Martha and Jonathan had stayed for dinner and had left afterwards. Clark had brought Becca to bed and had told her another fairy tale. After having kissed her goodnight, he had gone to bed himself, just like the day before. And again, the night wasn’t peaceful and Clark heard sirens all over Metropolis. Maybe there weren’t actually many emergencies, but Clark got the impression that the whole city consisted of victims tonight: victims of robbery, murder, accidents and all kind of violence. His bad conscience caused him to count each police car as if it was several of them.

He had drifted in and out of sleep dreaming of horrible things. He didn’t remember them afterwards, but they left him emotionally drained. The night seemed endless but after hours of exhausting nightmares, Clark was spent and managed to sleep deeper. It wasn’t enough to allow him regaining strength and so this would be another night of useless sleep.

Clark awoke from a loud knock. First, he didn’t know what it was, but then he realized that someone had to be at his door. The knocking continued and a female voice was shouting his name.

“Mr. Kent?...Mr. Kent? Come on, it’s Sunday morning. I know you’re there.” The woman sounded very impatient. It was silent for a moment. “Where can a hack from Nowheresville actually be at this time of day? It’s too early for church. Ahh, why did Perry do this to me?” The woman in front of his door muttered, annoyed. He surely wasn’t supposed to hear the last part. Nowheresville– Clark was annoyed as well. Smallville wasn’t “nowhere” and he really liked the little town. He emerged from his bed, dressed himself quickly and grabbed his glasses. Obviously the day wasn’t going to be any better than the night had been. He went to open the door.

Just as he opened, Lois Lane had been about to start knocking again. She stopped the movement as she saw into Clark’s face. Clark opened his mouth to say hello, but it was to no avail.

Lois Lane interrupted his attempt at politeness. “I knew you were there, Mr. Kent. Don’t think this was my idea, but Perry assigned you and me on this article. He should know that I usually work alone, I don’t need a partner, but he’s the boss.”

“Good morning, Ms. Lane. It’s nice to meet you, too,” Clark stated wryly. He glanced at the woman who looked still quite fascinating. But he wasn’t so sure anymore if he really wanted to get acquainted with her.

“Yeah, nice to meet you.” Lois snorted. “Kent, I’ve really not enough time to be nice. I didn’t expect to be responsible for a greenhorn, so please get ready quickly.”

“Come in, you can wait in the living room, while I get ready.” Clark offered as patiently as possible. *The day is going to be long*, he thought. *Don’t upset her even more than she already is. She has been through a lot.* Clark reminded himself.

Lois Lane entered his apartment, but she didn’t wait in the living room. She followed Clark, who went into his bedroom to get his suit.

“Perry assigned me on an article about the series of arson in the last couple of days. I hope you heard about that,” she said. It didn’t sound as if she really expected him to know what was going on in the city. After all he was from Nowheresville, wasn’t he? He knew far too much about those fires!

“The fires, yes I heard about them, but I didn’t know they were arson,” Clark replied.

“Well, that’s no wonder; the police only announced it this morning.” There was still this annoyance in her voice as if she had to deal with a dumb child. She was still the most beautiful woman on earth, but right now she did her best to scare him off. Why was she behaving like this? It wasn’t his fault that Mr. White had sent her to him. “Perry wants me to dig out everything I can find. And he advised me to take you with me, for whatever reason he has.”

Right in this moment Clark’s covers moved and a sigh escaped the pillows. Lois groaned and Clark gasped in surprise. He hadn’t even noticed that Becca had again slipped into his bed tonight. Her brown curls were visible under the covers and she looked so peaceful. Clark wondered what had made her come to him again.

“Oh my God, I really don’t want to know…” Lois muttered and stared at the dark brown curls. “Kent, say good-bye to your girlfriend and get ready. A kiss will do, I have no time for long endearments.” She left the bedroom quickly.

Right in this moment Becca lifted her head and stared at Clark in disbelief. “It’s Sunday!” she squealed accusingly.

“I know, honey. It looks like I have no choice but to go with her,” Clark replied. Had he ever felt so helpless? He saw the hurt in Becca’s eyes. Had he really thought that things couldn’t get worse? What a mess! “My new boss wants us to work on an article.”

“You can’t go! You promised to spend the weekend with me!” In Becca’s voice was all the despair of a child knowing that they wouldn’t have the last word in the discussion. “Don’t leave me alone!” She begged.

“Honey, I’ll be back in a few hours. And you won’t be alone…”Clark tried to soothe his daughter who was on the verge of crying. He lifted her on his lap and kissed her hair.

“Kent, come on, leave the crybaby. She’s old enough to stay alone,” Lois shouted angrily. “We’ve gotta go!”

This was too much! Clark stood up, Becca still in his arms and rushed into the living room. “She’s seven, Ms. Lane! She’s has every right to cry! What would you say if your father was leaving you when he had promised to spend the whole day with you? I’m afraid but you’ll have to wait until she has had breakfast. I’ve got a phone. Call me the next time and I’ll be ready when it suits you,” he growled.

Lois Lane had turned pale. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled weakly and fell silent. She looked as if lightning had struck her. Clark noticed it with fierce satisfaction and then returned his attention to Becca.

“I’m taking you to your grandparents, pumpkin. And I will be back as soon as possible,” he explained. “I didn’t know that I would have to work today. I’ll make it up to you this evening, I promise, Becky.” He set her back on the floor and wiped away the tears that were rolling down her cheeks. “I’m so very sorry, Becca.”

Becca nodded, still upset. On the other hand, she liked being with her grandparents. Anger and anticipation competed. But she knew that her father would have to go. Though she was still young, she had noticed that adults couldn’t always do the things they wanted to do. Obediently, she followed Clark into the kitchen. He prepared breakfast and Becca sat down at the table.

“How can you go with this nasty woman?” Becca complained.

“Rebecca!” Clark admonished her through clenched teeth. Unfortunately Becca had hit the nail on the head. Lois Lane was either a bitch or she was having a really bad day. He hoped it was the latter; he really did. Otherwise, he would have to reconsider working for the Planet.

Clark’s heart wrenched as he saw the picture of misery that was sitting at his kitchen table. He very much wanted to tell Ms. Lane to leave his apartment and to never come back again. He felt like quitting the job, but he knew that would be childish and inappropriate. As unreasonable as it sounded right at this moment, he had to stand this whole thing for Becca’s sake. Clark placed a glass of orange juice and a plate of pancakes in front of his little girl. Then he sat down beside her.

“You know that I love you, don’t you, honey?” Clark whispered in her ear.

“I dreamt that I had lost you, daddy. When I woke up you were mumbling and crying in your sleep. I was so scared. Please don’t go,” she begged again, this time sobbing.

Clark pulled Becca into an embrace. “Shh, it’s okay. You won’t loose me, pumpkin. You don’t need to be afraid,” he said in the most soothing tone of voice he was capable of.

Lois Lane entered the kitchen. She looked still a little pale. “I’m sorry, Kent. I was rude to you and your daughter. That was needless. It’s just… it has been a rough week.” Her apology sounded a whole lot friendlier. Clark looked up and studied her face. The fierce determination in it had receded and was almost gone now. The change in her expression had turned her into an incredibly vulnerable woman. Clark could tell from the look in her eyes that she had been hurt before. He realized that his impression of her had been right: she was tough but not as hardened as she claimed to be. She was watching Becca and himself, but he didn’t know what she was thinking. But one thing he knew: she wasn’t just a bitch and there had to be more to it than just having a bad day. He had an urge to find out more about this woman.

“I guess we had a bad start, Ms. Lane.” Clark released Becca and got up to offer Lois his hand. “Hello, I’m Clark Kent.”

She shook it and replied with a weak smile. “I’m Lois Lane. It’s nice to meet you, Kent.” Lois went over to the table and approached Becca. “And it’s nice to meet you, Rebecca.” She put her hand forth. Becca looked up but she didn’t take the hand.

“It’s not nice, to meet you,” she said angrily and looked daggers at Lois.

“Rebecca!” Clark used her full name for the second time this morning. “That’s not how I told you to talk to other people.” He was admonishing her though he was inwardly grateful that Becca had spoken her mind. A child could be honest to an extent that was downright impossible for adults. And there were a lot of things he would have liked to say to Lois Lane earlier; Becca was doing it for him.

Becca winced as she looked into Clark’s earnest face. “Sorry, Ms. Lane,” she muttered half-heartedly. Clark didn’t really expect Becca to say and mean it, so he left it at that. Becca continued eating her pancakes silently and Lois Lane shifted her position uncomfortably. She had become a lot shier and didn’t act like he was her personal lackey anymore. She was definitely more likable this way and Clark’s interest in her increased even more. He had never expected this happening so fast. It was surely sooner in their non-existing relationship than reasonable.

About half an hour later, Becca had had a shower and was dressed. Clark had phoned his parents and asked them if they would look after her. They had agreed and Clark had promised to take Becca to them. During this entire time, Lois had sat on the couch and hadn’t said anything. Although Clark didn’t actually know her, she seemed quite distracted and lost in thought. He decided not to question her behavior until he knew Becca safely with his parents.

tbc...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool