Now for the new stuff....

Chapter Twenty

With A Little Help From My Friends

James Olsen bounded out of the elevator car into the Daily Planet newsroom, unable to remember when he'd last experienced this amount of enthusiasm to work for the best newspaper in the world . He felt good; better than he had in years. The UN summit had finished earlier than expected and he'd managed to write up his cover story, email it to Lois, and catch the 'hopper' back to Metropolis by late afternoon.

His first port of call had been to Metro General Hospital to visit the best friend he'd ever had... and one he'd believed had gone forever. A few days earlier, he'd been stunned by Lois' phone call telling him that Matt had found his father, and Jimmy's first instinct was to dash home to check that Lois hadn't gone off her trolley.

But, of course she hadn't! It was true. Clark was back, yet he wasn't exactly healthy. Jimmy had listened with growing horror as Lois had told him of Clark's missing years and how he was suffering from total amnesia. She'd talked, almost in code, about how Jor-El had brought Clark home, but that Superman was still missing and was most probably dead. Jimmy had understood. It hurt to know the big boy scout would never take to the skies again. In fact, CK must be devastated. But his best friend was back home and for Jimmy that was the greatest fact!

Jimmy looked towards the Chief's office, hoping to catch Lois before she left for home, but was surprised to see Perry behind the desk, looking like he was busily working at the keyboard. Intrigued to see Perry back to work so soon, James momentarily forgot about seeking out Lois and headed, instead, for the Editor's office.

“Hi there, Perry,” Jimmy announced as he breezed into the room. “What are you doing here already?”

Perry glanced up from the monitor. “Jimmy! I could say the same of you. We didn't expect you back till later.”

“The UN council broke early. I emailed my story to Lois and came back as fast as possible. I couldn't wait to get to the hospital to see Clark. Boy, Chief, can you believe it? Clark is home! It felt great seeing him again, even if he isn't quite himself yet. And what a story!” Jimmy was shaking his head as his mind went over the information which Lois and now Clark had given him.

“Actually, Jim, the story is why I'm here. I'm writing it and I want your help. My writing skills might be a bit rusty.”

“Naw, never, Chief! You'll always be the best. But The Planet is putting out the story of Clark's return?” Jimmy's jaw dropped for a second or two, before the light dawned. “Though I guess someone's got to do it, and Lois is probably too close....”

“Exactly what I told her.” Perry nodded, smiling that Jim should catch on so fast. The boy had turned into a first-class journalist with a Kerth or two to his name. “I was hoping to give Clark more time before his story hit the media, but we've had Ralph Pinkerton rooting about, so Lois and I thought it would be best if the Planet published a legitimate account. No knowing what that loose cannon would come up with.”

“That's a fact, and most of it would be a lot of bull. Ralph wouldn't know the truth if it jumped up and hit him in the face!” Jim said, his voice heavy with disapproval. “OK, so what exactly do we want the public to know?”

“Not too much. We need to play up Clark's amnesia so we can keep the facts to a minimum.”

“Chief, we've got to mention he'd been abducted!”

“We will... but we keep the identity of his kidnappers vague... which should be pretty easy since Clark can't remember how he and Superman were seized....”

“What do we print about Superman?” Jim asked, then lowered his voice. Like everyone who'd been told the truth, he was still very careful to hide the secret. “Clark told me he's lost his powers and that it's probably permanent.”

Perry's hooded eyes closed for a second and when he opened them they were wet with tears. “What that poor boy must have gone through....” His voice died away as a shudder shook his shoulders. “But we can't print any of that. We still have to hide Matt's dual identity and take care of Lois and the girls. We write that Superman and Clark were separated... and that's true, in a way, and that Clark doesn't know what happened to Superman.”

“So, we keep quiet about how the North Koreans tortured Clark and let them get away with it?” James' fist clenched in anger and frustration.

“Not exactly, but Clark wants to protect the people who saved him, and, Jim, those people did put their lives on the line. I can understand Clark wanting to keep them out of the story. These doctors arrive in Metropolis any day now, and it wouldn't show much gratitude if they were charged with Clark's abduction and the disappearance of Superman. People still remember Superman with a lot of affection, and even if these two weren't officially charged, they could be subject to a lot of rough handling from the public.” Perry caught Jim's gaze with his own. His tears had dried and now his eyes glinted with steely determination. “There's nothing Lois or I would like better than to lay the guilt at that rotten regime's door, but they're not here and we can't print any facts... and unsubstantiated ones at that... without incriminating the people who saved Clark. He won't allow it and I can't say I blame him either.”

“I guess....” Jimmy pulled a chair up to the Chief's shoulder and sat down. “OK. So what can we write?”

“Well, this is the way I see it....” Perry leaned back and allowed Jim to read the screen. After a few moments, James made a suggestion. “Couldn't we mention the rogue General? Put all the blame on him. He's dead. The Korean's couldn't object to that.... Clark could have gotten his information from the people who helped him escape. Actually, that's the truth, and it does give the public someone to blame.”

“Yeah, and we can't keep quiet about Clark being in the hospital for treatment. Metro General is just too public. Ralph must have a source inside the hospital, 'cause no sooner than Clark was admitted, we got his phone call. No telling who it is. Could be an orderly or a nurse... hell, even a junior doctor looking to augment his earnings. But, Jim, even if this story has to be fudged... we stick as close to the facts as we can.”

Jimmy laughed, leaning forward in his chair. “You bet, Chief. Isn't that what you always taught us. Right, how about we do it this way....”

He looked for permission from Perry, then pulled the keyboard towards him and began to type and for the next forty minutes or so, both men concentrated on their story, sharing ideas and commandeering the computer when either thought of a better way to present the fuzzed information.

Finally, Perry and Jimmy both leaned back in their seats, confident they'd done the best job they could, when the door was opened with some force and both men turned to confront the intruder.

“Oh-oh! Hi, Lois,” Jimmy said, glancing in amusement at the Chief, not noticing the phone that Lois was holding to her ear. “Have you come to check up on our work?”

Lois shook her head forcefully, while she covered the mouth-piece, and whispered one word... “Scardino!”

Perry raised one eyebrow quizzically and Jim asked, sotto-voce, “'Call me Daniel' Scardino?”

This time Lois nodded her head adamantly, and Jimmy asked again, “What does he want?”

But Lois ignored her friends, removing her hand from the phone. “This is a surprise, Dan. I haven't heard from you since you called to tell me you were sorry to hear about Clark's disappearance and that you'd gotten married. How is your wife, by the way?”

“She's doing fine, Lois, thanks for asking.” The deep sounding voice replied from the other end of the line. “And we have a little girl now. We called her Poppy. She's three years old, very cute... and has me wrapped around her little finger.”

“Congratulations! Daughters can be like that. But I don't believe you called me up to talk about your family,” Lois said trying to steer the conversation away from small-talk.

“No, Lois. Straight to the point, as ever. We heard Clark is back,” Dan replied, finally getting down to business.

“Who heard?” Lois decided to play ignorant, though to tell the truth, she'd been expecting this call, she just hadn't expected Daniel Scardino.

“I think you know who I work for, Lois.”

“Actually, Dan, I don't. You seemed to move about quite a lot.” Lois couldn't hide her sarcasm. It had always been a bone of contention between them that Dan wouldn't discuss his work with her. Even if she hadn't already fallen for Clark, she doubted a relationship between herself and Dan would ever have survived.

“You know I work for the government and that's enough, though I can tell you that I'm a desk jockey these days. I gave up being a field agent when I got married.”

“That was decent of you, Dan,” Lois said, warming a little to a man she had once shared a friendship with. “So, what can I do for you?”

“Lois, you're not going to like this, but I think you know it has to be done....”

“Dan, just spit it out!” Lois demanded, her toe beginning to tap out an impatient beat on the floor.

“According to our sources, Clark has recently been found alive and brought home.” There was a few seconds of silence as Dan waited for Lois to corroborate his statement, but she stayed quiet. “He spent a long time in North Korea....”

“He was a hostage, Dan! It's not like he volunteered to stay.” Lois voice cracked back at him.

“That's what we heard,” Dan said quickly and somewhat sympathetically. “But, Lois, anyone who disappears in a country we consider an enemy state and then suddenly reappears has to be debriefed. We're not accusing Clark of anything, but he has to be questioned.”

“Interrogated, you mean,” Lois snapped scathingly. She was angry. Clark really wasn't fit to face a barrage of questions, but she couldn't see a legitimate way of denying a visit from a government agent.

“Please, Lois, don't get mad,” Dan pleaded. “It's routine. It isn't personal. And I volunteered my services because I thought you might trust me. I know we parted company a long time ago, but I thought we respected each other, at least. Maybe I didn't understand your choice at the time, but I always thought Kent was a decent guy... a little sappy....”

“Dan!” Lois growled.

“OK, that was below the belt. But I do know the two of you were happy together. Believe me, Lois, I don't want to upset either you or Clark, but someone has to do the interview, and I thought you'd prefer it was me. If I was wrong, I apologize and I'll bow out, let another agent take over.”

“No, Dan!” Lois hurriedly answered, relenting at last. “I'd rather you came than a stranger, but Dan, Clark is in the hospital. He's ill.”

“I know, Lois. He has amnesia.” There was an underlying edge of doubt in Dan's tone.

Lois heard it and shot back. “It's not a ruse! He really has lost his memory. You can talk to his doctors.”

“I intend to, and if they confirm the diagnosis, then you and Clark have nothing to worry about. Lois, trust me. I don't believe Clark has been recruited to spy for a foreign power... and I doubt if my superiors do either. But he might have seen something, be able to tell us what's going on inside North Korea.”

“I'm afraid you're superiors are going to be disappointed. When Clark was found he didn't even know his own name and his recollection of his time in captivity is hazy....”

“Lois, don't say anymore,” Dan interrupted, sounding harsher than perhaps he intended. “Let me question Clark and form my own opinion. I really shouldn't be calling you, but I just couldn't arrive unannounced. I'll be in Metropolis tomorrow late morning and I'll go straight to the hospital. I'm gonna ask you not to warn Clark, but I guess what I don't know won't upset me.”

Lois could almost visualize Dan winking and her words were accompanied by a reluctant smile. “Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the warning.”

“I did it for old time's sake,” Dan said, nostalgia softening his voice, then he quickly closed the connection. “Bye, Lois. Take care.”

Again there was a pointed silence in the Editor's office,while Perry and Jimmy tried to wait patiently for information.

“Well?” Jimmy asked, his patience running out.

“Dan Scardino is coming to see Clark to 'debrief' him.”

“Homeland Security was bound to be interested,” Perry remarked, reasonably. “They have their sources too, you know, so word had to get back to them about Clark coming home. I'm surprised about Scardino though. He hasn't been sniffing around these parts in years.” He studied his fingernails momentarily, before sending Lois a searching look. “Honey, do you think he's the right person for the job?”

“Perry, all that 'stuff' was years ago and Dan's a married man now. Besides, Clark didn't recognize any of us, so I doubt he's going to remember Daniel. And I do trust, Dan. He wouldn't do anything to hurt me... or Clark.”

“As long as you know what you're doing, then I guess it'll be OK.” Perry shrugged, giving in graciously. “Now you want to see what Jim and I have come up with for the morning edition?”

Lois placed the phone on the desk as Perry swung the monitor in her direction and she began reading....

LOCAL REPORTER RETURNS FROM THE DEAD

Those were the words that headlined Clark's story in both newsprint and online editions of the next day's Daily Planet, though it didn't grace the front page. However, the news generated more interest than Perry had expected. The citizens of Metropolis were genuinely happy that one of their own had survived the ordeal of being held hostage by renegades in a land they believed was unfriendly to their western way of life, and for a fleeting moment, Kent was regarded as somewhat of a local hero for escaping from his captors. The public sympathized with his years spent wandering lost and alone through Asia while suffering from amnesia, before being brought back to his homeland and his family. Disasters and tragedies very often sold more newspapers, but, occasionally, the public loved a story with a happy ending.

Other reporters and TV news teams showed up at the hospital, clamouring for access to Clark, yet they were turned away by security. Some brave souls even tried contacting Lois for information, but were quickly sent away with a flea in their ear, until she had her calls monitored. She also put a call through to the kids' schools, warning them to have their security men check for stray reporters, but it appeared the media had decided to leave the children alone. Martha and Jonathan received a few calls, but switched on their answer phone and reporters quickly got the message that the Kents were unavailable for comment.

Actually, the press also realized that the public empathized with Clark Kent and his family. The man had been through a terrible ordeal and most decent people didn't like victims hounded by the press.

And yet, around mid-morning, Jimmy drew Lois' attention to the TV screens which were situated around the newsroom. She left her office and came to stand by Jim's side, watching with surprised amazement as Jor-El landed in front of a TV crew at the entrance of Metropolis General Hospital.

Jor-El gave an impromptu press conference, stating he'd found Clark Kent when he'd gone to help with the mudslide in China. There he'd worked alongside a local man whom he'd finally recognized -- from old photographs -- as a friend of his father, the man who had in fact gone missing at the same time as Superman. Jor-El told of how he'd talked with the man who called himself Letour and soon worked out that the man was suffering from amnesia, how he'd persuaded Letour to return to Metropolis where he could be cared for by his family and perhaps helped to retrieve his memory. The young superhero answered a couple of questions, finished with a stern, yet heartfelt request to leave both Clark Kent and his family in peace, then quickly flew away.

“Smooth, real smooth,” Jimmy commented, smiling up at the screen.

Lois nodded while she closed her mouth, which had dropped open while listening to her son. “And he never said a word.”

“You got to admit that Matt has his wits about him,” Jimmy said quietly, glancing around to make sure no one was within listening distance, but staffers had gathered in front of other monitors, leaving their boss and the Planet's top reporter alone. “He didn't give out any more information than appeared in the Planet, but a personal appearance by Jor-El will probably satisfy the newshounds, and the appeal to stay away was a master stroke. The public are firmly behind their superhero and they're not going to appreciate any reporter harassing you now.”

“I guess,” Lois replied hesitantly. “I wish he'd spoken to me first though.”

Jimmy laid his hand on Lois' arm and led her back towards her office. “Why, Lois? He did fine all by himself. Matt's growing up, my friend, and you have to untie those apron strings.”

“Do you think I keep him on too tight a rein, Jim?” Lois watched his face closely as he opened the door for her.

He lowered his glance and thought for a few seconds. He'd known Lois for twenty years or so, had supported her through the good and bad times, had shared her laughter and her tears, so he decided she deserved his honest opinion.

“I think that occasionally you're a bit over-protective, but I understand why. You lost Clark because of the powers, but it turned out you never lost him; he just went AWOL for a while. That was a scary time for you, Lois, and nobody comes through that unscathed. It's natural you should worry about Matt... and he is young.” Jimmy watched as Lois walked over to the couch and sat on its worn surface.

“But you think I'm a worry wart,” Lois stated, resting her elbows on her knees and dropping her head into her hands. Suddenly her head snapped up. “Oh, my god! I'm turning into my mother!”

“No, Lois,” Jim's reply was edged with laughter. “You've had a lot to handle on your own. Most mothers just have to worry about booze and drugs, or girls... not their sons flying off to save the world.” He crossed over to the sofa and sat beside her. “But you're not alone anymore. Clark is back, and he's going to be OK, Lois.”

“You believe that?”

“Yes, I do. Clark might have appeared mild-mannered, but I don't think I ever met a stronger man... and I'm not talking superpowers. That strength will help him get through this, and he has you. I'd say it's guaranteed he'll be fine.”

“You know, you're right.” Lois patted Jim's hand. “I believe that too. We've always managed to get through whatever fate throws at us. Why should this time be any different. I guess I'm just a little tired.”

“That doesn't surprise me either. You've been working here, running off to the hospital at every spare minute and still trying to look after the kids. I don't know where you get your energy.”

“I surprise myself sometimes, Jim, and I'm not getting any younger!”

She stood up as Jim grinned at her last comment. As far as he was concerned, Lois didn't look a day older than when she'd first met Clark and fallen in love.

“And talking of the hospital, I need to leave. Dan will be showing up there soon and I want to be there.” Lois began shutting down her computer and clearing away her desk.

“Lois, come on. There's no way Scardino is gonna allow you into that interview. In fact, didn't he kinda warn you to stay away.”

“Jimmy, I'm not a fool. Dan won't even know I'm there, but I want to talk to Clark right after Dan leaves. I'll stay and have lunch with Clark and I'll be back to help get the online evening addition put to bed. But I don't want to be home late. I have to spend sometime with the kids before going back to see Clark tonight.”

Crossing to stand in front of the desk, Jimmy suggested cautiously. “Why don't you give the hospital a rest for this evening. Have some quality time with Matt, Sara and Vicky. I thought I'd like to visit Clark again tonight. There's a ballgame live on TV and we could watch it together.”

“Kinda like old times, yes?” Lois smiled at Jim. “OK, you're on. I think the kids and I would all appreciate a night at home, and I'm sure Clark also thinks I'm fussing over him too much. But that means I really want to see him this lunch time, so I'd better get my skates on.” Lois grabbed her coat and purse and headed for the door. “See ya, Jim.”

Jimmy almost let her go, but his voice stopped her as she opened the door. “Lois, Clark could never believe you fussed over him too much... and as far as Matt's concerned, you should trust his instincts more. After all, he has yours and Clark's genes. I don't think there could be a better combination.”

“Have I ever told you that I have the best friends? I don't think I'd have gotten through these last years if you hadn't been around to support me, Jim.” Lois found herself tearing up and she swiped at her eyes. “Now I better skedaddle before I embarrass myself. Bye, Jim. Oh, and by the way, Perry won't be in today, so you're in charge till I get back!”

And with that Lois was through the door and hurrying for the elevators.

The pre-lunchtime traffic in the city had been fairly horrendous and Lois feared that Clark's interview with Dan would be over by the time she arrived at the hospital. Of course, neither Dan nor his partner -- she was sure there would be two agents -- would have accepted her presence during their questioning, but surely she would be able to guage how the interview had gone by the way Dan greeted her.

Her first idea had been to wait until she saw Daniel leave before slipping in to see Clark, but she'd discarded that notion while driving. Lois had good instincts and she believed she knew Dan, even though a lot of water had flown under both their bridges in these past years. Daniel would give her some sort of feedback and she was fairly certain she'd know if she'd been stonewalled.

So, with that thought in mind she didn't sneak up the back stairs, but boarded the elevator along with a couple of nursing personnel and pushed the button for her husband's floor. The moment the doors opened she was confronted by an older Dan Scardino, still dressed a little less conservatively than she expected, but looking in good shape for his age. Marriage and parenthood must be good for him. There was another man a step behind Scardino, but Lois didn't pay him much attention, though she did get the vague impression of a regular government type employee. Instead she smiled and held her hand out to Dan, who quirked an eyebrow and returned her grin.

"Hi, Lois," he said, taking hold of her hand and, perhaps, holding onto it a moment longer than was mannerable. "I might have known you couldn't stay away. You always have to know what's going on."

"That's why I'm so good at my job, Dan. You used to be a bit like that yourself." Her tiny smile robbed her words of their sting.

"Yes, but aren't we both stuck behind a desk now? I kinda thought you'd moved into editing The Planet these days."

"I have, but I still like to keep my hand in now and then. I guess you're pretty much the same, or you wouldn't be here." As she began walking towards Clark's room, she saw Dan turn to his partner.

"Mike, give me a few minutes, will you? I'll meet you in the lobby." The man called Mike nodded and took the elevator, while Dan caught up with Lois.

"You're looking good... really good, Lois. But then you were always a beautiful woman."

"Are you flirting with me, Dan? I'll have to remind you that I'm a married woman, and you're a married man."

"Not flirting. Just reminiscing. I realized a long time ago that I never stood a chance with you. It was always Clark...."

Lois nodded, though her eyes misted over for the younger, more innocent people they'd been back in the days when her path had crossed with Agent Scardino. "And it always will be," she added quietly. "But I guess you got over your crush."

"Lois, it was more serious than a crush!" Dan remarked, sounding aggrieved. "But you're right. I did get over my... feelings for you, and now I'm very happy with my wife and daughter, but that doesn't mean I'm blind. You are still a remarkable woman. I was truely glad for you when I heard that new Superhero had found Clark."

"Thanks, Dan. I appreciate your concern and I'm happy you found someone too." Lois glanced over at the tall agent, her gaze sincere, but after a moment she returned to present business. "I'm assuming, since you were leaving, that you've already conducted your interview with Clark. Oh, and notice I repressed my curiosity and didn't try to butt in."

"I couldn't have allowed that, Lois. I'm probably out of line talking to you now, but Mike's a good guy and he won't say anything." Dan looked over towards the elevators. "I can't stay for long, but I wanted you to know we're both satisfied that Clark has amnesia...."

"You've talked with the doctors?"

"Yes. We even caught up with Doctor Klein, though we didn't really need the doctors' diagnosis to confirm that Clark has lost his memory. Lois, he doesn't look well... and he didn't remember that he and I had ever met." A genuine look of concern crossed Dan's face. "I'd no idea he'd been injured so badly. Does he remember anything of his past life?"

Lois stopped walking and turned to face Dan, allowing him to see her pain. Clark had never understood her attraction for Daniel, but then both men had acted like two dogs fighting over a bone. Yet, when she'd been feeling insecure about Clark's constant running off, Dan had given her a sense of selfworth. In his own way, Dan had been kind to her... and from the look on his face, he still felt something for her. "He has some flashbacks, but that's about all... and he 'feels' the same as he always did, if that makes sense."

"Perfect sense!" Dan's wide-mouthed grin spread across his face as he spoke. "The one thing we did discover is that Clark loves you and the kids and he's over the moon to be home, but he's a dead end for any strategic information we might want. It's a few years since he was a prisoner in North Korea and he wasn't exactly in a position to learn anything. As for his years in China -- he doesn't know anything we don't already know. My partner and I will recommend that no further action be taken. Neither you nor Clark will be bothered by the department again."

Relief flooded through Lois and her smile brightened. "Thank you, Dan. I know 'this' had to happen...." Lois waved her hand in the direction of Clark's room. "And I'm glad it was you who came."

"So am I, Lois. Take care and have a good life." Dan touched her arm gently then strode to catch the elevator car which had arrived on the floor.

"I will, Dan," Lois whispered, watching the doors slide closed behind Clark's old rival. "Now I have Clark back, the sky could fall and it couldn't destroy my happiness." Lois turned and hurried to be with her husband. Arriving at his door, she took only a second to compose herself and pushed her way inside.

"Hi, sweetheart," she greeted him with a short, though tender sweet kiss.

"Lois, this is a surprise," Clark answered, pushing himself up and taking hold of her hands. "I didn't expect to see you till evening. You just missed those government agents."

"Actually, I didn't. I saw them leave. How did your interview go?"

"OK, I guess. They asked me a lot of questions... which I had no answers for, mostly. Mind you, I think some of the questions were meant to catch me out... just in case I was pretending to be an amnesiac, though why anyone would want to do that, I have no idea. I hate not knowing!"

"I'm sure they were just doing their jobs, but they seemed satisfied your memory loss is genuine." Lois slipped one of her hands out of his clasp and smoothed his hair back from his forehead.

"One of the agents, Scardino, said we knew each other?" Clark's puzzled eyes looked into Lois' face, his eyebrows raised in question.

"That's true. We met up with him many years ago when we were investigating a story. He was on the same case and he hung around Metropolis for a couple of months." Lois' heart ached at Clark's confusion, yet she felt justified in glossing over the circumstances; there was no point in raising old misunderstandings.

"See, that's what I mean. I haven't a clue who was my friend and who wasn't." Clark's shoulders shrugged in self-derision.

Lois dipped her head a little. "I wouldn't say that you and Dan were friends exactly..... Passing acquaintances is about all."

"Well, he seemed an OK guy. Strange dress sense though. Do security agents usually wear Haiwiian shirts?"

Lois allowed herself to laugh. "Oh, you could say that Agent Scardino is one of a kind, but at least we don't have to worry about government interfence anymore. He told me we wouldn't be seeing him again. Now, how about lunch? I know how you hate the hospital food, so I visited the deli opposite the Planet on my way over. It used to be called Callards, but it changed hands two years ago. The food is just as good, though." Lois picked up the paper bag she'd placed on Clark's cabinet, before giving him her welcome kiss. "Oh, and there's been a change of plan for this evening. I'm spending time with the kids, and Jimmy is coming in to see you. I think he wants to catch up."

"Not sure I can do much catching up. I mean, I have no idea who or what Callards was, but I did like Jimmy, so getting to know him again would be good." Clark took the sandwich Lois handed him and took a bite. "Mmm, this is good, honey," he said around a large mouthful.

"There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your appetite, which means that maybe you'll put on some weight. You're still much too thin, Clark. But I'm afraid you can't rely on me too feed you.... I'm not exactly the best of cooks."

Clark stopped eating and placed his hand by the side of Lois' cheek. "Something tells me I didn't marry you for your culinary skills." His finger smoothed over her skin, touching gently the tiny lines by her eyes, which the years of his absence had etched on her face. "I have no complaints, Lois. I don't think I could have asked for a more perfect partner."

"For a spaceman, you really are a romantic.... still! And I love it." For some moments, the food was forgotten as they shared another deeper kiss, but Lois' stomach rumbled and they drew back laughing.

"You need to eat too," Clark said, pointing at Lois' lunch still lying forgotten on top of his bed cabinet. "And I also think it's a good idea that you spend some time at home with the kids. You need to rest. These last few days have been pretty hectic. I don't want you getting sick."

"Yes, Clark," Lois said obediently and started on her food.

"Somehow I don't think that's your usual response, honey."

"Clark!"

The two continued to laugh and eat together in perfect harmony, choosing to ignore the fact that tomorrow 'the doctors' would arrive and Clark's surgery would be scheduled soon.

Perhaps Lois had decided on the direct approach, but much later in the day someone else chose to sneak up the back stairs of the hospital. Very quietly and carefully, Ralph Pinkerton eased open the heavy door and peered round the narrow crack. He was on the right floor, but he needed to check his preplanned route to Room 11 where he had been told that he would find Mr Clark Kent. A corridor stretched before him with doors on either side along its length, and a distance away it opened onto a square area where the elevators arrived at the reception and nurses station. He glanced at the nearest door and saw the number 15 embossed on its surface. It appeared his source had been accurate, and Ralph was only a few steps away from getting a major scoop. He felt so pleased that he decided he'd have to slip his contact another 50 dollars, which was pretty out of character for Ralph. Still it wasn't very often he got the 'big' story.... In fact, make that never... and in the process he could pay back Lane and Kent and Perry White for all the times they'd made him feel totally inadequate.

It never ocurred to him that perhaps they'd been correct. He just had a different writing style than required by The Daily Planet, and he was much happier in his present position at the Dirt Digger. At least there they appreciated his ability to uncover scandals... and even if his stories weren't always totally accurate, Ralph believed in the theory that there was no smoke without fire, and in the next 30 minutes or so -- that was how long he figured he had before anyone else came visiting -- he was going to prove that Clark Kent wasn't all he pretended to be. After all, no one could be that much of a boy scout!

The afternoon for Clark had been long and fairly uneventful, Lois' visit being the highlight of his day so far. He fretted over the fact that, no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't remember meeting Agent Scardino before, which was hardly surprising since Lois had told him they'd shared only a short term association with the guy. Yet Clark hated his blank past and so for the intervening hours he'd found himself trying to recall his former meetings with Scardino -- Dan as Lois had called him with ease. That had to mean she'd been familiar enough with the man to be on first name terms. How familiar, though, he had no idea. It was so frustrating not to remember his friends, whether they were casual acquaintances or best buddies and Clark found himself with yet another nagging headache.

He'd decided to call for the nurse to administer some pain medication when his door opened quietly and a short, balding man in a shiny shark-skin suit entered the room. The stranger's eyes glinted eagerly as he sauntered across the floor to the side of Clark's bed.

"Hi there, Clark, old buddy," the man said heartily, his gaze straying over Clark's private room. "Nice digs! How ya doin', bud?"

Lines wrinkled Clark's brow as he studied his new visitor, taking in the man's round face and rather pasty complexion, which was not enhanced by the deep burgandy suit and matching shirt he wore... and Clark didn't need x-ray vision to know those broad shoulders were assisted by padding. Yet the man was grinning in a friendly manner which did deserve an answer. "I'm doing OK," he announced, returning the smile tentatively. "... but I'm sorry, I can't really place you. Are we... friends?"

Ralph tried not to smirk triumphantly. Yes! His source had been correct and Kent was suffering from amnesia... or was pretending to. Ralph had no idea what could be behind such a pretence, but he was determined to investigate and this time he was in the driving seat. This time his byline would appear on the only interview with Clark Kent, recently returned abductee from a foreign land... and if the story didn't have legs, there was always Ralph's well-honed imagination. He was about to make Kent famous!

The tic in Clark's jaw pulsed nervously, yet manners prompted him to explain apologetically. "You probably expect me to know who you are, but I just can't remember. It's nothing to do with you. I can't remember anything...."

"Hey, I understand, my man." Ralph smiled kindly. At least, he hoped his expression seemed sympathetic, but it was hard to hide his mounting glee as he thought of scooping Lane and Kent. "No worries. I heard you're having problems with the old memory. I'm... Eduardo... Eduardo Friaz." At the last moment Ralph decided to go incognito. No point in warning the opposition of his visit, but he'd just blurted the first name that came to mind. Now he could only hold his breath and hope that Clark hadn't already come in contact with Friaz since his return... though that seemed unlikely, as Friaz had moved up-state to live with his daughter.

Seconds passed as Clark waited for further information, but none was forthcoming, Mr Friaz appearing more interested in removing a piece of lint from his immaculate sleeve. "Eduardo Friaz?" Clark prompted. "Sorry, the name doesn't ring any bells."

Ralph's head came back up, his expression smoothing out in relief. This interview was going to be like taking candy from a baby. "Oh, we worked at the Planet together... for years... got pretty close, too." He pulled up a chair and made himself comfortable, one leg coming up to rest on the other. "When I heard you'd come home I was happier than a pig in sh... well, you know," Ralph ammended quickly at Clark's raised eyebrows. Geesh, Kent always was a prissy dude! "Anyway, I was downstairs following up a story in the ER and I just couldn't resist taking a few extra minutes to say hi to my good buddy, Clark Kent. Did I do wrong? I'll go if you don't feel up to having a visitor." Ralph feigned concern, while managing to convey hurt at Clark's possible rejection. Boy, this acting stuff came easily, he decided, sliding his hands nonchalantly into his pockets.

"No, no! To tell the truth, I was feeling bored." Clark said politely while shifting in his bed, glancing specutively at the emergency call button. "Now the initial tests are over, nothing much is happening, and it won't... not until the doctors arrive tomorrow...."

"Doctors?" Ralph asked quickly, sitting straighter in his chair, his radar on high alert. "Which doctors?"

"The doctors who are helping me get my memory back," Clark prevaricated, once again feeling uneasy... as if he were walking a tightrope. Not knowing who he was talking to was becoming increasingly frustrating... and he couldn't rid himself of the gut feeling that this old friend wasn't quite so solicitous as he pretended to be. "You know, I'm beginning to wonder why I agreed to come into the hospital so soon. I could have been treated as an out-patient instead." He steered the conversation away from the sensitive subject of doctors Ducos and Janik.

"Hehehe!" Ralph couldn't restrain a snigger. "You probably needed the rest. Maddog getting to you? Man, I don't know how you live with her. She's something else!"

"Pardon?" Clark croaked, feeling the hairs on the back of his neck start to rise. He didn't remember the nickname, but he instinctively knew to whom this Eduardo was referring.

Unfortunately, Ralph didn't recognise the warning signs and he leaned back, tipping his chair onto its back legs. "MaddogLane! Oh, I guess you've forgotten the nick. She's like a pitbull... which is good for a reporter, but I can see how annoying it could be if you were married to such a snooping control fre...."

"If you're referring to my wife, I'd advise you to stop right now..." Clark said coldly. "Lois is one of the main reasons why I miss home so much."

The chair crashed down onto its four feet as Ralph backpedalled, suddenly noticing his interviewee was now regarding him with suspicion. "Hey, no offence meant. Lois is a good looking woman... a very good looking woman... for her age.... For any age... I guess.... I mean, I wouldn't say no...."

Clark swung his feet over the side of his bed, his headache forgotten, his heart racing with the angry desire to throw out this obnoxious visitor. "I have no idea who you are," he gasped through clenched teeth, "or if we worked together, but I very much doubt you were ever my... good buddy!" Clark sarcastically repeated the other man's earlier words.

Ralph's hands came up to protect himself. Kent was usually a placid guy, but he was scary when he was angry. "OK, so I might have embellished a bit, but we did work together... and I thought you might want to say a few words for an old colleague... just a short quote. Come on...."

"A quote? I have nothing further to say to the press!" Clark's lips closed in a thin line of disapproval as he pushed himself up from the bed.

Behind them, the door opened and James Olsen almost ran into the room, shocked by the sound of the raised voices which had reached him in the corridor, but he was unprepared for the sight which confronted him. CK was standing, facing down a slightly cowering figure who Jimmy had no difficulty recognising... even from the back. He'd know that bald spot and loud, snazzy suit anywhere.

"Ralph Pinkerton, how did you manage to sneak your way in here?" Jimmy demanded, hurrying forward to insert himself between the two protagonists.

"What's up with you guys?" Ralph asked, pitching for indignation, but sounding pathetic instead, as his glance flitted between Kent and Olsen. "Can't I visit a friend for old times sake?"

"But you're not exactly an old friend," Clark suggested, confidence in his judgement growing by the minute. He'd felt this guy was a phony right from the moment he walked into the room.

"Not exactly, CK, and he's definitely not on your visitor list, either." Jimmy squared up to the now flustered Ralph. "Were you hoping to get some intimate details to embellish another of your scandalous exposes, Ralph? I'm surprised you bothered. Facts don't feature too prominently in his stuff, CK."

"So I've heard." Now the truth was out and Clark was no longer feeling threatened; he actually felt a little sorry for Ralph who was squirming like a fish on a hook.

"Hey, I'm a member of the press, same as you two!"

Jimmy laughed, his eyes dancing incredulously. "You can't compare that rag of yours with The Daily Planet, Ralph. Anyway, you're busted, and I suggest you leave before we call security."

"I'll have you know The Dirt Digger has a huge following and I was just doing my job," Ralph protested while he backed towards the door, looking crowded as Jimmy followed him. "Don't tell me that either of you haven't done the same when chasing down a story...."

An unwelcome question assaulted Clark's mind. Had he and Lois ever resorted to such underhand tactics to investigate a story? The notion that perhaps they had was unpleasant... unthinkable... yet Jimmy was talking.

"You might find this hard to believe, Ralph, but neither Clark, Lois, nor I would dream of writing the half-truths and downright lies which are published in that excuse for a newspaper you work for, and if we've had to go undercover, then you can bet your life that the people we were chasing were criminals or conmen. I doubt any of us have betrayed an innocent colleague the way you were hoping to do. Now get out of here."

At Jimmy's upright, outraged stance, Ralph finally caved. "OK. Don't stress. I'm goin'... I'm goin', but you can't blame a guy for tryin'." he mumbled as he scurried out the door, thoroughly routed.

"That was Pinkerton?" Clark asked, staring at the closed door. "He said his name was Eduardo and that we used to work together."

"Yeah to all of the above!" Jimmy nodded. "Ralph worked at the Planet once; so did Eduardo, and believe me, he's a much nicer guy, but he retired after having a coronary a few years ago. Never thought Ralph would sink quite so low."

Climbing back into his bed, Clark leaned against the pillows. "I suspected he wasn't on the level... and when he started talking about Lois in that way... well... I guess I lost it. I wanted to knock him out." He shrugged in self-derision and ducked his head. "Not exactly a sterling reaction from someone who was once Superman."

"Don't worry about it. Ralph is enough to make a saint resort to violence. I've felt like punching him myself a few times since he's been working for the Digger... and, take my word for it, Ralph's been thrown out of many places in the past few years. We should just forget about him. A sleazeball like Ralph isn't worth the hassle."

"Probably not." Clark's voice steadied and his gaze came back up, as he recognized a certainty. "But I don't think I would have used force in the end."

"I know you wouldn't." Jimmy smiled in agreement. "That was never your way."

"And it's good to know that we had ethics.... even when chasing down a story."

"CK, you were the most ethical journalist on the planet, which sometimes frustrated Lois, especially in the early days," Jimmy added with a grin. "But Perry was right when he made you two partners. You complimented each other; Lois' fire and tenacity and your search for truth and justice. Whatever it was you found together, it sure worked. You and she put more bad guys away than any other reporters. Lane and Kent were the hottest team in town, and I was proud to work with you both." Jim blushed and pushed his hand through his hair, disconcerted at his glowing testimonial.

However, Clark was smiling. "Thanks, Jim. I think I needed to hear that. You have no idea how scary not knowing who you were can be."

"Glad I could help. Now, why don't I get the beers I left outside the door and you find the channel so we can watch the game. It's almost time." He pointed at the clock on the wall and fetched the paper bag, out of which he pulled some bottles. "CK, you still a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs? 'Cause I got to tell ya, they're about to get their asses kicked by the Bills tonight!"

Allowing himself to be distracted from the subject of his erstwhile visitor and his own uncertainties, Clark answered without thinking. "Yeah, and don't be too sure of the result." He clicked through the channels with the remote control till the correct picture appeared on the TV screen, then, after a moment of reflection, he laughed. "To tell the truth, I haven't a clue who I support, but I think I would have liked to play this game."

"CK, you know, there's something I've noticed...."

"What's that, Jim?" Clark took the proffered bottle, which Jim had opened, and had another thought. "Have these beers been OK'd by the staff?"

"See, you are still a boy scout, which proves what I was going to say. You're pretty much the same CK you ever were, even without your memory." Jimmy grinned at his discovery, feeling smug as he pulled over a bigger and more comfortable chair. "And stop obsessing! Not only has it been OK'd, but Bernie is joining us...."

"Bernie likes football?" Clark's expressive eyebrows rose again.

"To tell the truth, I'd say he likes hanging out with you more than the game. Normally, Bernie's a solitary guy; a bit of a workaholic, but you, Lois and the kids are the closest he has to a family. I think he just wants to keep you company."

Clark's reply was silenced by the door opening and Bernie scuttled into the room, wearing a peaked cap with Kansas City Chiefs displayed across the front.

"Have I missed the start?" the doctor asked, sitting down in the chair vacated earlier by Ralph.

Jim winked conspiratorially as Clark answered. "No, Bernie, you're just in time. Would you like a beer?"

"Yes, please." A bottle was opened and passed to Bernie who took a swig and coughed... and coughed... and had his backed patted by Clark. Seconds later, Bernie's breath settled, allowing him to talk. "You don't happen to have a glass, do you?"

Fishing a water glass from the back of his cabinet, Clark handed it over to Bernard. "Will this do? It's clean."

"Thanks," Bernie grinned sheepishly. "I never did get into the habit of drinking out of bottles... beakers yes...."

Both Clark and Jim laughed at Bernie's confession, but the conversation was interrupted by the action on the TV as the game got underway and there was silence as the three concentrated on the play. Finally, Jim spoke up and his voice sounded almost reverent.

"This is just like old times, Clark. You've no idea how great this feels."

Clark nodded. "I'm not exactly an expert on old times... but, yeah, it does feel good."

That was the truth, Clark decided as he glanced over at his friends. As each day went by, he grew more comfortable in the company of the people with whom he'd once been close, and this afternoon he'd discovered something else about himself. He'd met two strangers from his past and he'd instinctively known which one had proved a threat and which one wished him well... which wasn't bad for someone with no recollection. Jimmy was correct. His lack of memory had no bearing on who he was... what he thought about and believed in; who he cared for and loved..... In all the important details, he was still Clark Kent, and no one could change that.

tbc