I happen to have a day off today and so I decided to post another part. As usual, feedback is very appreciated.

And thanks again to the first Becca-fanclub- member, aka LaraMoon. goofy

Actually she's the second since I'm the first wink

From Part 4:

“Daddy, I had a nightmare,” she whispered and Clark could hear that she had been crying. Why hadn’t he heard her sobs? “Can I sleep in your bed, tonight?” She sounded shyer than usual and Clark could tell that the nightmare had to have been really bad.

“Of course, honey.” He reached out to take Becca’s hand and guided her towards his bed. Then he lifted the blanket and she slipped under it. “Do you want to tell me about it?” Clark asked as he stroked her gently. He could feel that she shook her head. Becca cuddled in the pillows and her body relaxed. Clark laid his arm around her and closed his eyes. As Becca’s breathing became more and more even, he finally drifted off to sleep himself.

Part 5:

Hours later, Clark woke up and opened his eyes. Dancing spots of sunlight covered the room. The city had become peaceful, at least a bit more silent than the night before. Becca turned around and her arm landed in Clark’s face. That reminded him of her nightly visit. A nightmare had caused her to beg for shelter in his bed. What had that dream been about? Clark assumed that she was still suffering from having overheard his parent’s conversation. His stomach wrenched. He should have been prepared for something like this, but he hadn’t been. He was so lost in his own problems that he tended to forget Becca’s needs.

He still didn’t have the faintest idea how life was supposed to go on. Perhaps he would find a way to close his ears to cries for help, because after last night that was about the only way for him to lead a life without constantly feeling guilty. Tying himself to the apartment would be rather difficult. He had managed to do that last night, but he sure as hell couldn’t take that for several years. And how could Becca possibly benefit from a father who was on the verge of a nervous breakdown? And what kind of idol was he when he didn’t help when he could?

His inner debate was interrupted by a pair of brown eyes that blinked into the morning. The drowsy glance Becca gave him made Clark’s heart melt. Whenever he looked into those eyes he forgot about all the disadvantages of being a father. This was worth any prize he had to pay. He owed it to Becca and Lily to do his very best at being the father this little girl needed.

“Good morning, daddy.”

“Good morning, pumpkin,” he replied. “Hey, I think you broke my nose, last night.”

“That’s impossible, daddy,” Becca defended herself. She examined his nose closely and placed a wet kiss on his forehead. “Healed,” Becca stated, convinced.

“Are you sure, Doctor? Because I’m not going to pay you if it isn’t,” Clark said, carefully touching his nose.

“Pay me? Pay me with what?” Becca wanted to know.

“Mmhh, how about going to the ice-rink?” Clark suggested. Becca didn’t answer; she just became a one-girl-embrace-force. Clark couldn’t actually tell if she was brimming over with enthusiasm or trying to kill him. Whatever it was, he enjoyed it. A couple of minutes later Becca solved the mystery and kissed him on his cheek. He could hardly mistake that with an attempt to murder.

When Becca released her grip, Clark got up to prepare breakfast for the two of them. Becca used the spare time to take a shower and got dressed. When she returned Clark and Becca had breakfast together. Becca wore her most incredible smile. She knew that it could get her about anything from Clark. He watched her closely, waiting for her to take the first step. It took a whole bowl of corn flakes and three bites of toast, until she obviously felt ready for it.

“Daddy?” she asked, particularly sweetly. “Do I really have to go to school on Monday?”

“Becca!” he groaned. “We have already had this discussion. There’s no other way, especially since I’ve gotten the job at the Planet.”

“But I don’t want to go!” she disagreed. “I want to be with you!”

“Becky, it’s not a boarding school, we’ll see each other every day,” Clark replied as calmly as possible. She had already cried because she didn’t want to go to school. He had hoped that this trouble was over, but Becca had only given it a short rest.

“That’s not the same,” she insisted stubbornly.

“Becca, honey. I’m sure you’ll like school. There will be lots of other children around and you’ll make friends.” Clark tried to convince her.

“Was it the same with you? Did you have a lot of friends in school?” she asked.

“Things were a little different with me; I was a freak, and you’re not,” Clark stated. Who was he trying to kid? Maybe Becca had no strange powers that she had to hide, but there were other things that children could explore and use against her. Her mother was dead and she had very little memory of Lily. Her father was just a birth certificate father, but at least she didn’t look completely different from him. Of course no one was allowed to know that he was not her biological father. Even the Vital Records office thought that he was. And her father was a freak, which she couldn’t tell anyone either. Those were just perfect conditions for Becca to have a normal life in school. But he was sure that she would make it nonetheless. “Anyhow, despite my being a freak I had some friends in school. So why would you have a problem, pumpkin?”

Becca didn’t reply. Clark knew that she could hardly be satisfied with his explanation. But what was he supposed to do? Should he just stop their argument because he was the almighty adult? That’s all there is to say, period? Of course this had been necessary at times, because it was no use discussing everything that occurred with his daughter. But the older she had grown the less often he had had to use this imperative way of education. And he had never actually felt good with it, because Becca had a right to know why some things had to be done as he wished.

“You know that I’m there for you, honey, don’t you? I need to go to work and earn money. You want to find a home as much as I do. I chose Metropolis because it’s easier for me to hide among so many people. But Metropolis is an expensive place and I need a permanent job. I can’t take you with me and teach you at work. I am not sending you to school because I don’t like to be with you, but because I think that going to school will offer you the possibility of making friends. I’m sure you’ll like it. And we still have the evenings and the weekends together.” Clark tousled her hair softly.

“I’m sure you’re right, daddy,” Becca gave in, but her former irresistible smile had faded as it had failed to work.

After breakfast, Clark got dressed and Becca fetched her scarf, gloves and a cap. Her face was glowing with expectation. She absolutely loved ice-skating and was considerably better at it than Clark. When she was ready, Becca was pacing up and down, impatiently waiting for him to come. Minutes later they left the apartment and headed for Centennial Park. Clark had heard that the city built an ice rink there every winter.

It was snowing again, like it had the day before, and Clark wondered if they would have a white Christmas this year. But the weather in Metropolis wasn’t important since they would spend the holidays with his parents in Smallville. And after all it was still three weeks till Christmas, so the weather could change a lot until then.

On their way to the Park, Clark told Becca about the old woman he had met in the theatre. She listened to him eagerly as he mentioned how she had said good-bye to the old stage.

“Do you believe in eternal love apart from the stage and fairy-tales?” she asked him, when he had finished the story.

“I really hope it exists, honey,” Clark replied and his thoughts wandered to Lois Lane again. How was she doing right now and was she still in the hospital? She might take a day off on Monday and Clark suddenly noticed that this possibility made him sad. But he didn’t actually know her, he had seen her only twice and she might not have seen him at all. This was really strange and Clark couldn’t understand it.

“Was it eternal love between you and mommy?” Becca dug further.

“In some respect, yes, Becky. But you shouldn’t mistake the love you feel for a relative with the way you love someone you want to marry. Even though we use the same word for it, it’s completely different,” Clark explained.

“Different in what way?”

“I can’t explain honey. It’s something you have to find out on your own. When you fall in love for the first time, you’ll know the difference.” Clark saw Becca glancing at him, frowning. She obviously wasn’t pleased with the answer she had gotten. But Clark couldn’t help her with that question. It was really not easy to answer and moreover he lacked experience concerning love.

Reaching the ice-rink distracted Becca enough to make her forget about the problem. They borrowed ice-skates at a kiosk that had opened near by. A moment later Becca had put on the skates and was on the ice. It seemed like she had grown wings. Becca became even more the whirlwind she already was on firm ground. She had a natural elegance that very much resembled Lily’s when she had been skating on ice. It was astonishing since they had never had the opportunity to do it together. But obviously the ability was in Becca’s blood. Clark had taught her only the first steps on the slippery ground, but Becca knew how to dance.

Clark sat down on a bench to change his shoes as well and followed Becca on the ice rink. He was mostly skating in large circles around the rink. Becca appeared in front of him or vanished in the crowds that were on the ice as well. Clark liked watching her and she rarely had the chance to really get out of sight. And even if she tried, he still had his special abilities to find her quickly.

It was hard to tire Becca out. She didn’t get cold because she was moving so much, but Clark interrupted her from time to time with a hot cup of chocolate. They stayed in Centennial Park for hours and Clark was relieved that the day had been so peaceful. The best about the day was that Becca looked so happy. Seeing her as devastated as she had been the evening before had been horrible.

Time passed quickly and when the afternoon came, Clark told Becca that she had to leave the ice. She had to be hungry, but Becca tended to forget about those things when she was really enjoying herself. But as soon as he mentioned food, Becca noticed that she was indeed starving. She gave Clark a brief disappointed glance, but then left the rink quicker than he had thought possible. That only confirmed his assumption that the little whirlwind was indeed hungry.

Clark and Becca returned home. It was already too late for lunch, so Clark prepared sandwiches and promised a real meal for the evening. After they had eaten, Becca went upstairs, because she still had the big brown box waiting for her. She needed to unpack her things and Clark could be very stubborn concerning her duties. While she was doing that, Clark examined the flat to see if something needed to be cleaned or anything. But since they had moved in the day before yesterday, everything was as tidy as possible. He decided that he was allowed to read a book and went over to the book shelve.

Just at that moment he heard a knock at the door. He didn’t even need to x-ray it, since he knew the shapes of the two people in front of it by heart. Clark hurried to open the door for his parents. Martha greeted him with a kiss on his cheek and Jonathan hugged his son.

“How was the opera?” Clark asked his parents.

“Wonderful!” Martha stated enthusiastically. Jonathan, who stood behind her, remained silent, but the expression on his face told Clark that it surely wasn’t his favorite thing to attend. “So tell me about that interview, honey.”

“Mr. White hired me,” Clark replied.

“That’s great, honey. I know how much you wanted to work at the Daily Planet.” Martha watched her son with the glance of a wise mother. “Am I wrong or are you trying to hide a “but”?” she asked. Clark opened his mouth to reply but was interrupted by Becca who rushed into the living room to say hello to her grandparents.

“Hi Grandma, hi Grandpa!” she shouted excitedly as if she hadn’t seen the two for half a year and jumped into Jonathan’s arms. Clark’s father lifted Becca up easily.

“Hello sunshine,” he said and hugged his granddaughter. “How was your day?”

“Great!” She smiled broadly and started to tell Jonathan about the rink.

Right at this moment, Clark heard sirens and cries. He focused on the noise and was able to listen to the police radio. Policemen and firefighters informed each other about a burning building in the suburbs of Metropolis. The fire was difficult to control and apparently there were still people trapped by the fire. Clark’s stomach felt burning as well. He glanced at Becca and his parents who had an interesting conversation with each other. They hadn’t noticed his distracted air. Clark felt the urge to help those people, but what was he going to tell Becca? She wouldn’t understand that he would risk exposing himself. And to be honest he couldn’t really justify it himself. But there were people trapped and they were going to die if it wasn’t for him to save them. What would they say if they could hear his doubts right now? A quick shot of laser vision destroyed the light in the living room. Clark had made his decision.

“I’ve forgotten to buy light bulbs,” Clark muttered, grabbed his coat and left the apartment.

tbc...

It's never too dark to be cool. cool