++++
Krypton: in the eleventh cycle of the year 2132 (or November 1991)
++++

All of her worst fears had come to pass, Lois thought as she and her son were being returned to a place she'd sworn she'd never again go. She had been shocked to say the least when Kryptonian guards had stormed the demonstration on Labor Day.

Dan was a member of a special forces division of the Metropolis Police Department, in charge of making sure Kryptonian citizens stationed on Earth and Earthlings co-existed in harmony. Over the years, living conditions on Earth had improved greatly because of the work by that division and others like it. There was a huge rally organized for Labor Day in which Earthlings and Kryptonians alike had taken part. The goal of the event was to further promote civility between the two nations of people. But all had not gone as planned.

On the second day of the rally, guards burst in demanding proper documentation for the gathering. Tensions had skyrocketed immediately and things got out of hand very quickly. There was fighting and several people died, including Dan.

Dan Scardino was a bit of a free spirit-- friendly, out-going. Lois had befriended him shortly after her return to Earth when she attended a meeting similar to a 'neighbor watch' group in which Dan had been the key speaker. He'd immediately been drawn to Lois. However, she had continued to reel from her time on Krypton and with the First Lord.

It had taken Lois weeks to come to grips with her pregnancy and finally decide to keep the baby. That decision had been made easier by an offer she’d been unable to refuse.

Dan had been the one she’d confessed all to one night when he’d found her in the lab crying. Because Dan had become very fond of Lois, he offered to marry her and raise the baby as his own. Still shaken from her short affair with the most powerful man on two worlds, Lois reluctantly accepted his proposal. Few people seemed to be surprised by the marriage because the couple had seemed quite close since meeting. The only glitch was the doctors’ perplexity over the apparent maturity of her fetus. Lois and Dan hired a mid-wife and her son was born at home in the early hours of a steamy June morning in 1988. If the old woman ever thought the child couldn't possibly be so healthy being born nearly two months early, she never said a word. The child barely weighed five and half pounds so his prematurity was not questioned. Dan and Lois settled into life with a new son, and until the day those guards showed up, that life had been a decent one.

Later, she found out that the Kryptonian invasion, as many had come to view the incident, had been headed by Lord Nor. He'd taken great pleasure in his actions, making sure everyone understood that opposing the Kryptonian Throne in any form was treasonous. The small group that remained tried to contact Lord Sar, the provisionary ruler, to inform him of the things that had taken place. Most were certain Nor had acted on his own, which was not uncommon. Before Sar could be reached, Nor's goons had infiltrated the group once again and more deaths had followed.

It was during that time that Nor had sought out Lois personally. He and two of his men had entered her home during the night, ripping her and her son from their beds, and transporting them to a small vessel just outside the Earth's atmosphere. No reason was given for their abduction, though Lois was certain her son's true paternity had finally come to light. They were over half way back to Krypton before she realized they were in horrible danger.

++++
Krypton: Year 2132 in the twelfth cycle (or December 1991)
++++

Lord Nor stormed down the corridor in search of Ti-El. He entered the state room and stomped toward the other Lord. "You have no idea how much you owe me!"

Ti's head had shot up when the doors swooshed open, and he continued to stare at the flustered man before him. "Why are you here? I sent word that I would meet you tomorrow."

"This could not wait. Did you know about that little bastard?" Nor demanded as he hovered over the desk.

"What?"

"That brat that came with a certain package you wanted me to bring back."

"I assure you, Nor, that I have no idea what you're talking about," Ti told the other man as he sat back in his chair and folded his hands across his lap.

"Lois Lane's son."

Ti sat in stunned silence for several moments before he smiled evilly. It seemed Kal's concubine had not only married but had produced a child. "Well, well... Dear Kal's infatuation was one-sided."

"Who gives a damn about Kal-El's infatuation. That woman has made my life a living hell because of that brat. So, what do you plan to do about it?"

The elder Lord of El rose from his chair, hooked his hands behind his back, and paced across the room the way he often did when he had issues concerning him. "What about our other project?" he asked after a moment.

"The younger Lord of El was lost touring the countryside."

"Very good. How long until word reaches the Palace?"

"Any day, Milord. Although, it may be weeks before they discover the remains."

Ti simply nodded and continued to pace. "And Scardino? Having his wife *and* his brat..."

"Dead," Nor stated flatly. "He wanted to be the hero, so he paid the price."

"Well, no matter. Dead is just as good." He continued to pace as he thought over all the new information. Finally he stopped. "How the hell did that woman conceive a child?"

"I would assume the same way most females conceive," Nor rattled off sarcastically.

"I know that, you idiot," Ti shot right back as he swiveled to pierce Nor with his gaze. "But she was here once, on contract as a concubine. The Council demanded that all Earthlings that came into Kryptonian service be sterilized so the possibility of unwanted conceptions be removed. That decision aided, of course, by a certain El that would rather die than have Kryptonian blood mix with that of Earthling filth," Ti finished with a disgusted tone.

"Yes. I'd forgotten about that." Nor smiled as he dropped to a chair behind him. "Do you think it's possible our dear First Lord might have participated in an illegal act?"

"No. He wouldn't have!"

"Are you so certain?" Nor challenged.

Surely not, Ti thought as he continued to stare at Nor. Was Kal-El responsible for that Earthling's procedure not being done?

He moved back to his desk and tapped away at his computer panel for several moments before leaning back to read the information on the screen before him. "According to documents, she *was* sterilized."

"Well, that kid is living proof that she has a child." The lord rubbed his fingers across his chest, then inspected his nails. "I almost left the extra baggage behind..."

"No, no. A little more insurance never hurt," Ti assured him as he continued to process everything he'd learned.

There was a long silence before Nor spoke. "No wonder Kal left that wench on Earth. I wouldn't keep a concubine that couldn't please me either."

Was that why he'd left her on Earth? Because she had failed to please him?

Nonsense. Kal-El hadn't needed her permission for anything. She had been *his* property. And Ti knew from personal experience that dominance inside the bed chambers was far superior than a willing caregiver. Hadn't he imparted that bit of knowledge to his nephew? Surely Kal hadn't *wanted* that Earth creature to *willingly* please him?

"Disgusting," Ti spat as he stood to pace again. There was absolutely no way an Earth woman could provide any kind of enjoyment in the bed chambers!

"Oh, I don't know, Ti. Some of those women are quite pleasing," Nor said with a smile. "Women are women... when you're in need of one."

"Why would any Kryptonian nobleman be in need of a woman from Earth? We have very skilled caregivers here!"

"Is that why Kal-El's relationship with that woman bothered you so much?"

"The First Lord should not show favor to an Earthling whore!" Ti turned to face the window for a long moment before he spoke again. "Are you sure this child is not the child of her husband, born of another woman? Or simply an adopted orphan?"

"I don't know. All I know is she keeps him under her wing like a mother hen and he calls her 'mommy'." Nor shuddered in revulsion before he helped himself to a drink and went to stand beside Ti at the window. "Maybe that's why Kal left her."

Ti's head snapped around toward Nor. "How old is this child?"

"About the right age, Milord. And bears a striking resemblance to the First Lord." Nor sipped from his drink as Ti paced back across the room. "And wouldn't it just move him to tears to know the mother of his son is warming the bed of lesser nobles?"

"If this child is his, there's no way he knows of him. The way he dotes over that daughter of his..." Ti turned back to face Nor. "Bring them to me, in Palla, at the safe house."

"I would be more than happy to give you that brat, but I think I've decided what I want as payment for this last assignment... I want Lois."

"Impossible. If this child belongs to Kal-El, she's insurance."

"You'll have her son. He's a much better bargaining chip."

"*If* he is Kal's son. Until then, I will need the woman as well."

Nor downed the remainder of his drink, then poured another. "I will use her as a bargaining tool to get what *I* want and at the same time, keep her all safe and tucked away for you... Should the need arise."

"I'm not in the mood for this, Nor. Just bring the woman and kid to Palla." Ti delivered his order with a bit of finality before moving around to settle behind his desk again.

"I believe I will take what is owed me, Milord," Nor informed him before finishing off his second drink.

"You forget your place, Nor!"

"On the contrary. You forget yours, Ti-El. What do you think that nephew of yours would think if I decided I wanted to rid my conscience of years of guilt?"

"He would never believe you. Not over me."

"No need." Nor set his empty glass on Ti's desk, a wicked grin dancing about his lips. "That's why a smart man keeps proof to back up his claims."

"You pompous bastard!"

"I choose to call it intelligence, Milord." Nor walked around behind the chair he'd sat in earlier to rest his hands on the back. "I will bring you that brat, but I intend to keep his mother. Those cretins back at home fail to interest me anymore. It's time for something a bit more sporting."

Ti was livid. This man worked for him, not the other way around. Nor had done his dirty work for years, and he'd often had to make shady deals for the other lord's cooperation and loyalty. But Nor had never demanded anything the way he'd just done.

"You only need her brat," Nor pointed out helpfully. "And as long as you use the kid as bait, 'mommy' will be a very good girl."

Maybe Nor had a point. If the child really was Kal-El's, life would be much, much easier without Lois around to interfere at all.

"Keep her."

"Very good." Nor smiled widely.

"But Nor, it is imperative that it not become known that she is here."

"Yes, I know. Don't worry. I don't plan to let her out of my chamber for some time to come."

"Good," Ti practically barked. "Have the boy in Palla by nightfall."

"Don't worry. That's one package I won't mind delivering," Nor threw over his shoulder on his way out of the room.

Ti stared at the closed doors for a while after Nor had departed, trying to weave together details of another devious plan. Was Lois Lane's son sired by Kal-El? Had he known? Had he participated in stopping her sterilization procedure and voluntarily left her on Earth?

It would be most ironic if Kal was oblivious, Ti thought with a smile. The First Lord had been so taken with that woman, had even called her by her name on occasion. That had to have meant that some form of misplaced affection had clouded Kal-El's mind. Ti had been so sure the young lord had come to his senses when he'd left that distraction behind. Now it seemed that maybe all was not as it had seemed.

Zor help him if this child was his.

"I will crush you with your own flesh and blood," Ti said aloud. "Some day, Milord, you will pay for the sins of both our fathers."

++

Kal concluded the session of Council before making his way toward the private section of the Palace. It had been a long day and he wanted nothing more than to fall into bed. Half way to his chambers, he was intercepted by a servant.

"Milord, your presence is requested in Carn."

"What is it?"

"Lord Nor has gone on a rampage and is threatening to blow up his entire house."

"What?" Kal followed the servant toward the transport cove. "Why has he done this?"

"It seems he's taken a concubine that refuses to consummate their relationship. She locked herself inside her chambers two days ago, but Nor eventually tired of waiting her out and blew the door down. The woman ran from him and is now holed up inside the communications room where she's taken the guard hostage. She's been calling here repeatedly since."

"Calling here? Why?" Kal ducked into the transport and settled for the journey.

"She won't divulge her reasons, Milord. She just keeps insisting that it's a matter of life or death that you be contacted."

Kal nodded as his vehicle raced across the countryside. This was so typical of Lord Nor. The man was high strung and unreliable, often causing dramatic scenes. The First Lord was tired of it, tired of Nor. It was time an end was put to such outbursts.

A short time later, they pulled to a stop on the grounds of the House of Carn. The Royal guard formed a path through which their First Lord hurried. He found Lord Nor outside the door to the communications room, shouting obscenities to the metal surface.

"Lord Nor!"

The Lord stopped and turned to stare his Lord in the eyes, shock evident on his face. "Lord Kal-El." He immediately bowed.

"What is the meaning of this? I was summoned from my home."

"Beg pardon, Milord. There was no need for you to come."

"It is my understanding that this woman has locked herself away from you and *she* has called the Palace several times."

"Nothing I can't handle, Milord," Nor told him with a sarcastic bite.

"As I can see," Kal replied, noticing that Nor was extremely nervous as he stepped up to the door and pressed the intercom button. "This is Lord Kal-El. To whom am I speaking?"

"I assure you, Lord Kal-El, your presence isn't necessary," Nor said as he tried to place himself between the First Lord and the intercom.

"Lord Nor, move or be moved," Kal told him. Reluctantly, Nor stepped away. Kal pressed the button on the intercom once again. "This is the First Lord. To whom am I speaking?"

There was a long silence before a woman's frail voice was heard. "Kal-El, save him. Please, God, save him," she sobbed.

The First Lord was stunned. There was no way he'd heard correctly. That voice... that was the voice that had haunted his dreams for so long.

Before he could gather his wits, the door swooshed open and she was there. Her legs barely held her up as she staggered toward Kal. Her hands grasped his tunic and her eyes pleaded with him.

"You have to save him, Kal. If it's not too late already. He's been gone for a long time. But he promised..."

Still speechless, Kal could only stare at the woman before him. Countless emotions washed over him in waves that threatened to overwhelm him. He'd fought long and hard to place this woman in a part of his mind that would allow him to wake each morning and face his life without her there. To have her in front of him, touching him, was working quickly to take his breath away.

He waved off his guard as they moved to protect their Lord. Slowly, he lifted his hands to grasp her wrists. "Save who, Miss Lane?" he asked softly. His eyes never left hers as he struggled to process what was happening to him.

"My son," she squeaked through another sob. "Our son."

Kal had to strain to hear her whisper, but he'd heard her. The blood drained from his face and he felt as if he'd fall down. His eyes searched the corridor frantically, as if trying to find something, anything, to help him. Everyone else clearly thought she was mad. Finally his eyes settled on hers again, a thousand questions racing through his mind.

"We don't have time," she told him, as if she understood his silent plea. "Right now, *he's* the one that's important."

He had to force himself to swallow the lump in his throat before he could talk. Lois Lane had once again knocked him off his feet. "Where is he?"

"I don't know. They came and took him away."

"When?"

"Two days ago," she finished as more tears spilled from her eyes.

Confusion like he'd never known assailed Kal. Who had taken Lois' son and why?

Your son, a voice pointed out, though he chose to leave that until later.

"Please. Save him."

The First Lord steeled his expression, eased Lois' hands from his tunic, and faced Nor. "How did you get this woman?"

"She was part of an agreement during a recent trip to Earth," Nor lied.

"What?" Kal demanded. Though trips to Earth took place four times a year, he was made aware of most of what, and who, returned to Krypton. Earthlings agreeing to serve Kryptonians were something Kal fully intended to address, but hadn't yet because of all the tensions at home.

"She freely signed a pact..."

"No!" Lois shouted.

"Oh really? Then what is this?" Nor took a scroll from an attendant and held it up so that her signature was clearly visible. "Nothing illegal here, Milord," Nor said in his usual condescending manner. "This woman agreed to come into my house."

Lois' gaze shot to Kal's. "I never agreed to anything, K... Milord. I was ripped from my bed and transported back here by this monster. He forced me to sign this. He said he'd kill my son... our son," she finished in a whisper.

Kal felt as if he'd die. The pain in her eyes nearly took his breath away. He blinked quickly before focusing on Nor. "How did you acquire this?" he asked Nor of the scroll.

"She agreed, Milord," Nor repeated. "You are familiar with this type of thing."

Nor clearly meant for that statement to be sarcastic, which did nothing but further agitate the First Lord. He huffed a deep breath, still choosing not to think about what Lois had said... twice.

"Why would she have agreed to this, Lord Nor?"

"Don't ask me. I'm not familiar with the workings of fickle Earth women."

The other Lord looked too pleased with himself, Kal thought as he continued to survey the situation. Finally, he was forced to look at the scroll. Was this Lois' signature? If so, why? Why had she agreed to come here? Like this?

And why hadn't he known about it?

He slowly lifted his eyes back to hers. "Is this your pen?"

Tears welled in the woman's eyes, and she swiped them furiously. "Yes. But I was forced. His goons held a blade to my son's throat!"

"I can't believe you'd listen to this... concubine over one of your Lords!" Nor's voice echoed throughout the corridor.

"That's enough, Nor!" Kal barked. His stern expression left little to doubt he meant business. His brows furrowed as he studied the document. Was she telling him the truth? Had they forced her to sign something she didn't want to?

"You have to believe me," Lois begged softly. "He forced me to return to Krypton, then forced me to sign. And now he's taken him God knows where. You have to save him. He's just a little boy."

Kal forced his gaze back to Nor. Looking at her could only spell disaster. He felt as if he was falling into a deep ravine. One he wasn't sure he'd be able to return from.

"Where is the boy?"

"What boy?" Nor asked and painted on an expression of utter confusion.

"My son, you bastard!" Lois yelled and jumped toward Nor. A couple of guards had her restrained before she could make it to the man. She fought against their grasp briefly when Nor grinned at her.

Kal stepped forward, placing himself between Lois and Nor and taking over her restraint with a firmly placed hand on her shoulder. "Lord Nor, I assure you I'm not in the mood for games. Where is Miss Lane's son?"

"There is no boy, Milord. This wench has been whirly and off balance since departing Earth. She's constantly spouted on about her son, but there never was a child with her. I believe I would have known if there was."

Lois' frantic eyes shot back to Kal's. "Don't believe him. There *was*, there *is* a child! He was born over three years ago. I have pictures." She turned and hurried down a corridor.

Kal stood motionless for a moment before he followed. Lois had entered what was once a bed chamber. Nor had destroyed most of it when he'd blown the door down to get to her. The First Lord stopped just inside the entrance and watched as Lois fumbled through a bag near the bed.

"Where is it?" she shouted aloud. She quickly abandoned the bag and began searching the cabinets. "It's gone. All of it's gone!" The few things contained within the storage closet were tossed out furiously as she tried in vain to find what she was looking for. Angry shouts punctuated the air as she continued to work.

It was too much. Seeing her so distraught was just too much. Her body had started to tremble and she was crying and cursing as she tore apart what was left of the room. Kal couldn't stand it any longer. He approached her slowly. "Miss Lane?"

"What did you do with my stuff?" Lois demanded of Nor.

Nor had remained just inside the door, watching with the others, the pitiful scene that unfolded before them. "Everything you brought is there."

She stopped and stared at Nor, her eyes wide in disbelief. Finally she gazed around helplessly before she collapsed.

"Miss Lane!" Kal rushed forward when Lois fell. He knelt beside her, carefully lifting her head from the floor. He barked out for a physician and remained at her side.

What was going on? Had the strong, fiery little woman he'd once known gone mad? Or was she telling the truth and Nor had really taken her son away? He didn't know what to believe as he waited while the physician assessed Lois' condition.

"She's passed out, probably from strain and exhaustion, Milord."

"Transport her back to the Palace and to the infirmary."

"You can't do that," Nor insisted. "She's my property."

Kal stood up when he was assured Lois was properly taken care of. "I *can* do that, Nor. Take him into custody for formal questioning," Kal ordered his guard.

"I've done nothing wrong," Nor protested as guards seized him. "She's my property, Lord Kal-El. The papers are legal. There was no child. She's mad."

Kal stepped up a little closer to Nor. "If you've done nothing wrong, you'll be released as soon as that's proven."

With that, he left Nor to the guards then slowly made his way out to the waiting transport.

Lois had been taken in a separate vehicle ahead of him, giving him much needed time alone to process the information racing around in his mind.

Was she telling the truth? Had she conceived and bore his son? If so, why hadn't she told him?

That one was easy enough. All children, even those born of concubines, were required by law to be raised on Krypton, trained and educated by those who thought themselves superior. Lois would have had little say in her son's life. The woman he'd known would never have told him, not with the knowledge that she'd be taken from her home again and cast back into a world she despised.

But it didn't stop the raw emotions gnawing at him. Had she known the day he left her on Earth that she would bring forth his son? Had she kept the child's paternity secret from her husband?

And what did her husband think of all this? Where was he? Why had she agreed to be someone's concubine with a husband?

No, that wasn't right. Kal was confused about a lot of things, but he knew for certain Lois had not willingly agreed to be anyone's concubine, especially a man like Nor. She'd argued too adamantly against becoming his when she'd been here before.

Did that mean she'd told the truth about being forced to sign papers? And if she'd told the truth about that, wasn't it possible everything had been true?

The logical part of his brain reminded them that she *had* agreed once to Kryptonian service, even if it had been a ruse to see him. She'd gambled with her life to what she wanted. Had she done that again? Had she agreed, for some unknown reason to be Nor's concubine, then changed her mind? She couldn't have, he thought. Not the woman he remembered.

He took a deep breath to reign in the escalating feelings of helplessness burrowing into the pit of his stomach. He needed answers and unfortunately there was only one way to get them. He'd have to wait until she was well enough to speak with him. Surely he would know if what she spoke was truth.

And why would you think something like that? he asked himself. Was he still under some form of delusion where this woman was concerned? Yes, he'd held great affection for this woman at one time, but that didn't mean a thing. She'd been relieved when he'd left her on Earth; she'd been happy to get away from his world, from him. The things he'd felt, the flicker he'd seen in Lois' eyes that night aboard the transport had been nothing more than... satisfaction. They'd shared an extremely pleasing physical act and nothing else.

At least that's what he'd told himself... many, many times. Feelings, emotions, infatuations for others were all things that didn't exist in his world. Could never exist for him.

So, why did he find it hard to breathe as he thought of Lois Lane?

The transport came to a halt, and Kal climbed out. Trey waited at the entrance to the Palace.

"Milord, what has happened?" the older man asked immediately.

"Assemble the Council, Trey," was the only thing Kal said as he entered the building.

Trey followed, wanting more answers. "Milord, why has Miss Lane been brought here? The physician says she passed out. And Nor? Why is he being detained?"

Kal stopped suddenly and faced his Council elder. "I will tell you all I know in Council chambers," he clipped out, then left Trey more confused than ever.

Lois had been installed in a bed when Kal reached the infirmary.

"How is she?" he asked the physician.

"Stable and resting."

"Will she be alright?"

"Oh, yes, Milord. Though I'm told that her mental condition is in question."

"Just watch her and let me know when she wakes." Kal reluctantly pulled his gaze from the woman lying across the room. She looked so small in the huge bed.

"Yes, Milord," the physician answered before turning to leave.

"One last question." He waited until the doctor had again faced him before he went on. "Is there a way to tell if this woman has ever given birth?"

"An examination would have to be done, but yes, there are usually signs when a woman has given birth."

Kal nodded. That would certainly prove her claim that she'd had a son. "Do it," he ordered after only the slightest hesitation, then was gone.

The immovable First Lord entered the Council chambers moments later.

"Lord Nor is being held for formal questioning," he informed his Council as he took his seat.

"On what grounds, Milord?" Trey asked.

"Abuse of position for one. Lord Nor was in possession of a woman he claims was his concubine, that she agreed to this willingly. She claims otherwise. Because of those claims and others, there will be a hearing at the morning hour."

"I'm told this woman is unconscious," Trey said.

"Yes. She's resting in the infirmary. We will start questioning Nor nonetheless. Send for his guard and house servants. They will need to be present to confirm or deny anything their Lord has to say tomorrow."

"And just who is this woman?" asked another Council member.

"Madam Lois Lane of Earth."

"Lois Lane? Wasn't she *your* concubine at one time?" Jen-Mai asked.

"Yes." Kal's expression never wavered, even as his mind tried to grasp what he wanted to say.

"Do you have proof that she was Nor's?" a member asked.

"You do know that Nor didn't *need* her permission for him to take her as his concubine," Jen-Mai added with a sarcastic bite.

"Miss Lane is an Earthling citizen," Kal replied.

"Yes, but Earth is a Kryptonian nation," the Lord shot right back. "Therefore, she is a Kryptonian subject."

"That may be. However, there is a little thing known as the Humanitarian Acts. You know as well as I do that Earthling citizens have to *agree* to serve Kryptonians."

"Come, come, Lord Kal. Don't be naive. We both know others are brought into service all the time..."

"Another issue I intend to address," Kal stated. "Right now, though, my concern is the issue at hand. If Nor was indeed holding Miss Lane as some kind of prisoner..."

"Just how do you intend to prove that if Nor had proper documentation?"

The argument was quickly becoming a face-off between the First Lord and Jen-Mai. And it was beginning to frustrate Kal tremendously.

Kal sighed and tried again. "That is why formal questioning will take place, Jen-Mai," he clipped out with a pointed glare at his Council member. When Jen-Mai averted his gaze, Kal continued. "Miss Lane has made other claims as well."

"Do tell." Jen-Mai folded his arms across his chest and glared at Kal.

"She states that she has a son."

"Having a son or not is irrelevant, Milord," Trey spoke up.

"It's very relevant, Lord Trey," Kal replied. "If Nor did as she claims."

"Let me guess," Jen-Mai spoke up in a dramatic tone. "Nor has taken her child away."

"As a matter of fact..." Kal started as he looked back to the infuriating man across from him.

"Milord, please. Can't you see this woman is playing up to your graces?"

"What does Nor say about this?" Trey threw in before the First Lord could face off with the other officer again.

Kal's mouth twisted. "Nor says there was no child."

"And you don't believe him?"

"I'm not sure what to believe, Trey. All I know is I found Miss Lane locked inside the communications room of Nor's house where she'd called to the Palace constantly until I agreed to make a trip to Carn."

That caused Jen-Mai to snort aloud. "It seems to me that she was displeased with Nor."

"And I am displeased with this entire situation!" Kal's carefully controlled emotions had slipped. He'd known there would be questions. More would follow. He just hadn't known that he'd be so utterly frustrated by it all. "Session is adjourned until the morning hour." He pounded the gavel with a stroke of finality, then left the Council in stunned silence as he hurried from the room. His mind was as far from state's affairs as it could get. Right now, all he wanted was for Lois to wake up and answer some of *his* questions.

++

Kal stood outside the room Lois was in, peering through the glass partition at the fragile form lying prone in the bed. He'd stood in the same spot for nearly an hour the night before, trying desperately to make sense out of everything that had taken place.

When he'd left Lois on Earth, he hadn't looked back. He'd distanced himself from her and all she represented. Painfully he'd come to the realization that nothing could ever come of his affection for her. He'd wanted more than what he was able to offer her, but his world would never have allowed it to happen.

He'd argued with himself, outright denied that he'd ever felt anything for her to begin with. But nothing made it true. Seeing her lying in that bed had done nothing but stoke his buried affections. As hard as he'd fought to contain those feelings, they had fought even harder to resurface.

Unable and unwilling to look at her another second, he'd fled from the Palace, and sought solace on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. He'd sat the entire night through staring off across the water, wondering about a very uncertain and unstable future.

And about the possible existence of son born of his desire for a woman that had shaken him to his very foundation.

Did that child exist? If so, where was he? Had Nor whisked him off to some remote destination to do Zor only knew what with him? Who was caring for him? Was he afraid? Hurt? Had Nor done the unthinkable? Would he find his child alive or dead?

So many questions...

If that child indeed existed, and was found, Council would force Lois to stay, as his concubine, or to give up her son. Law demanded children of nobility be raised on Krypton, and he was positive Lois would never give up her son. She'd be cast back into a world that she loathed to protect her child, and he'd be forced to live close to Lois with that knowledge.

And with the knowledge that he could never have her.

How in Zor's name would he survive?

Morning, and lack of answers, found him once again staring at the woman that haunted his thoughts. He'd been assured that Lois would wake soon. The physician felt that her mental instability might be a contributing factor to her continued slumber. That statement forced the First Lord to consider the possibility that all might not be well with Lois.

Had she lost touch with reality? The physical examination would not be performed until she was awake, so he still lacked confirmation that Lois had ever had a child.

Yet, all he could think was why would she lie about it? Why would she claim to have a son that was his, knowing her fate should that be proven, the child found? Why would she say that she and her son had both been brought back to Krypton if they hadn't? Maybe she had declared him the father just to find the child. He could understand a mother's love for their offspring, her desire to have him back. Lois would also know that if the First Lord's son was missing, Krypton would be turned inside out to find him.

Was that it? Was that what had happened?

"Milord?" A servant had approached. "You wished to be informed of the hour."

Without acknowledging the woman behind him, Kal tore his eyes from Lois and started toward Council chambers.

++

The Council was assembled and awaiting the First Lord. He took his seat, noting that his uncle had joined them as well. Ti nodded in greeting, to which Kal merely cast a fiery glance.

"First, let me say that while Lord Nor is not being formerly charged with any crimes, at this time, this is a formal hearing. Is that understood?" He waited until he was certain his words had been understood before continuing. "Miss Lane is still resting in the infirmary, unable to defend what is said here today. When she is awake and alert, we will hear what she has to say."

"Milord, I must point out that it is highly irregular for Council to consider the claims of a concubine," Ti-El pointed out, helpfully.

"This entire situation is highly irregular, Ti," Kal told him. "Miss Lane was here briefly some years ago."

"Everyone remembers your concubine," Jen-Mai replied with a sarcastic bite.

Kal cast an angry glare his way and continued. "She was only here briefly before I made a trip to Earth. I released her, leaving her on her world before returning home. She states that she was brought back to Krypton by Lord Nor."

"Yes, yes. Council understands that she was returned as the concubine of Lord Nor," Jen-Mai stated. "We've reviewed the scrolls."

"Miss Lane says that she was not returned as a concubine. She has told me that she was brought back against her will."

"Don't be ridiculous," Ti spoke up. "Why would she be returned against her will?"

"That's what I intend to find out, Lord Ti." A few whispers rose around the room, but no one commented aloud. "However, another issue is more pressing. Miss Lane claims that her son was returned with her and that Nor used the child to force her to sign papers binding her to him."

"Why would I concern myself with such a trivial thing, Milord? She made the decision willingly," Nor stated with an air of supremacy.

"Milord, I, too, have seen these papers. And I have to agree with Lord Ti. Why would Nor have brought her back against her will?" Trey asked.

"Law states that the only way a noble can lay claim to a woman is if she is free from existing claim. I understand that Miss Lane was married," Kal stated without answering Trey's questions. He failed to notice the glance his uncle shot at Nor.

Trey leaned back in his chair as he processed that tidbit. "That would explain the need for proper documentation."

"Oh please!" Nor shouted. "Don't tell me that you believe such drivel."

"And why would Miss Lane lie, Nor? What did she possibly have to gain?" Kal challenged his Lord.

"How should I know what goes on in her head? She propositioned me. What man in his right mind would not take a woman up on an offer like that?"

"Just what are you implying, Kal?" Ti asked. "That you believe this woman over one of your lords?"

"I'm not implying anything. I'm stating, for the record, that Nor will prove to this Council that what *he* claims is true."

"Beg pardon, Lord Kal, but to accuse Lord Nor of any wrong doing, you need proof. The word of a concubine is not enough," Jen-Mai spoke up.

"I'm afraid Lord Jen-Mai is right, Milord," Trey said. "Do you have proof of what she claims is true?"

"No. I have no proof," Kal said reluctantly.

"Then Council has no choice but to declare Nor's scrolls legal and binding," Trey stated. Across the table, Ti leered triumphantly. "He was well within his rights to have Miss Lane in his possession."

"And her son?" Kal asked. "If there was a child, law demands we locate him."

"The First Lord is right, Nor. What do you have to say about Miss Lane's son?"

"That there was no child," Nor replied coolly. "I admit that the woman has been off balance and delusional since arrival to Krypton, even before then. But there is and was never a child."

"Maybe we can settle this quickly," Jen-Mai added. "His guards are here as well as his personal servant."

Kal listened in helpless silence as both guards and Nor's attendant backed their Lord's claim. No child had been with Miss Lane at any time.

"Milord, are you satisfied that Nor speaks the truth?" Trey asked when the testimonies were completed.

"No, I'm not satisfied, Trey. A frightened woman is lying unconscious, unable to defend herself, convinced that her son is being held on Nor's order."

"Why are you so concerned about this woman's child?" Ti asked his nephew.

"Because if what she says is true, that child has to be found."

"Milord, Nor has stated that there was no child," Jen-Mai added in a frustrated tone. "I see no reason for Council to continue to waste time discussing it further."

"And I see every reason to discuss it!" Kal's voice thundered, a mere reflection of how utterly hopeless he truly felt. "Would it make a difference if Council knew this child is half-Kryptonian?"

Silence engulfed the assembled group then. Medical science had always believed conception between Earthlings and Kryptonians possible, but with the forced sterilizations and the effects of the inoculations, that had yet to be proven. Kal had known that kind of information would change everything. And when they learned just who had fathered that child...

After a long delay, Ti-El leaned forward and placed his arms on the table. "Being as this woman had been your concubine, are we to assume this child might possibly be your child?"

"Yes," Kal said calmly.

"Are you insane, Kal-El?" Ti swiveled fully toward his nephew. "The implications of that admission are treasonous! Not to mention the havoc this news will create. A half breed the son of the First Lord!"

Trey nodded. "Lord Ti is right, Milord," he added. "If Miss Lane has indeed sired your son, the Council will demand to know why."

"Must everyone be so stupid," Nor remarked sarcastically. "Surely no one believes Kal kept that woman without bedding her?"

"That is not what I meant, Nor," Trey said. "Law required Miss Lane to undergo a sterilization procedure. If she conceived a child, that procedure was obliviously not done. And if it wasn't, then on who's order?"

"Then of course there are particulars involved," Jen-Mai put in. "Was our dear First Lord aware of his concubine's condition? Is that why he left her on Earth?"

"I will refrain from answering questions concerning a child the Council deems nonexistent," Kal remarked.

Trey rubbed his throbbing temples. Sometimes he really disliked his position. "In keeping with the law, Council has no choice but to adjourn session until more information can be gathered."

Kal heaved a huge sigh of relief. He was sure no one believed that Lois ever had a child, but at least he'd been granted a little time to get some answers. With any luck, Lois would be awake soon and could answer a few questions.

"Nor, you are free to leave until this situation is resolved. However, your presence is required when Council assembles again. You will be notified." Trey clapped the gavel against the table, then rose and left the room.

Ti watched as Kal left soon after. A smile graced his lips and he nodded at Nor before he took his own leave.